Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons 23:09 - Apr 7 with 2217 viewstractordownsouth

As one of the people who (rightly) criticised Labour for anti-semitism, it shows he clearly doesn't give a feck about discrimination and is only bothered about party politics.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 23:10]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 23:14 - Apr 7 with 1882 viewssparks

I'm not saying it's not an offensive cartoon. But it certainly not obvious to me.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 23:15 - Apr 7 with 1873 viewstractordownsouth

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 23:14 - Apr 7 by sparks

I'm not saying it's not an offensive cartoon. But it certainly not obvious to me.

Look at the nose

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 23:17 - Apr 7 with 1871 viewstractordownsouth

Also worth pointing out that it's massively hypocritical, as he was in the cabinet with William Hague and IDS.

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 23:27 - Apr 7 with 1834 viewssparks

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 23:17 - Apr 7 by tractordownsouth

Also worth pointing out that it's massively hypocritical, as he was in the cabinet with William Hague and IDS.

What is hypocritical?

The suggestion- seemingly- is that he is welcoming back people who others have blamed for electoral problems.

What is anti semitic?

Are we pretending now that such issues do not exist? There was clearly a damaging split in labour with jewish members taking a stand, and (inevitably, and without obvious malice) damaging electoral pospects in the process. Is any cartoon or satire that references gender, or races, or religion, or indeed- culture, now to be condemned?
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 23:29]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 23:51 - Apr 7 with 1799 viewstractordownsouth

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 23:27 - Apr 7 by sparks

What is hypocritical?

The suggestion- seemingly- is that he is welcoming back people who others have blamed for electoral problems.

What is anti semitic?

Are we pretending now that such issues do not exist? There was clearly a damaging split in labour with jewish members taking a stand, and (inevitably, and without obvious malice) damaging electoral pospects in the process. Is any cartoon or satire that references gender, or races, or religion, or indeed- culture, now to be condemned?
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 23:29]

It's hypocritical because he's criticising Labour for bringing back a failed opposition leader, yet he served alongside William Hague and IDS

And the big nose is an anti semitic stereotype. I don't have an issue with the bacon sandwich, normally it would be an issue, but it has relevance to his gaffe so we can let that one slide.

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 00:06 - Apr 8 with 1792 viewsfactual_blue

Apparently those at school with osborne tell an interesting tale about why he invented the name 'George' for himself: he thought 'Gideon' too Jewish-sounding for his political career in the tory party to develop.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 00:17 - Apr 8 with 1763 viewsFootballpete

Are you seriously questioning Osbourne’s integrity??!

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 06:57 - Apr 8 with 1644 viewsBlueBadger

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Milliband could have just eaten that bloody sandwich normally, the country wouldn't be in half the state it is now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 06:58 - Apr 8 with 1643 viewsBlueBadger

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 23:51 - Apr 7 by tractordownsouth

It's hypocritical because he's criticising Labour for bringing back a failed opposition leader, yet he served alongside William Hague and IDS

And the big nose is an anti semitic stereotype. I don't have an issue with the bacon sandwich, normally it would be an issue, but it has relevance to his gaffe so we can let that one slide.

Not just that, but Milliband was a considerably more competent minister(and leader, for that matter) than both those two.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 08:03 - Apr 8 with 1588 viewssparks

I don't see where you get the first para from.

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 08:28 - Apr 8 with 1555 viewsitfcjoe

How is it anti semitic - it's a caricature of an actual person, showing their features as they are.

It's not random no named old person with massive hook nose to clearly indicate that they are Jewish above else

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons (n/t) on 08:29 - Apr 8 with 1548 viewsStokieBlue

No idea what happened here!

SB
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 8:32]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 08:31 - Apr 8 with 1544 viewsStokieBlue

I am not sure that is portraying what you are trying to make out.

It's just Ed Milliband, pretty much how he looks. If anything they have done him a favour on the nose.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 08:35 - Apr 8 with 1526 viewsWD19

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 08:28 - Apr 8 by itfcjoe

How is it anti semitic - it's a caricature of an actual person, showing their features as they are.

It's not random no named old person with massive hook nose to clearly indicate that they are Jewish above else

Milliband has got quite a fat old nose. The issue is more that the cartoonist seems to be rubbish at profile drawings. Starmer has some likeness front-on, but none from the Side.

[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 8:38]
Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 08:41 - Apr 8 with 1506 viewsGeoffSentence

That's Ed Milliband isn't it.

Whilst Ed is nominally jewish, the bacon sarnie suggests he's not practising, it looks more like an attack on Ed and others who didnt get behind the former leadership than on Jewish labour members.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 09:44 - Apr 8 with 1449 viewsGuthrum

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 23:15 - Apr 7 by tractordownsouth

Look at the nose

It's quite clearly specifically meant to be Ed Milliband, look at the teeth and the bacon sarnie.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 11:30 - Apr 8 with 1379 viewsDarth_Koont

Don't be silly.

This is the lunacy of many of the antisemitism accusations in recent times.

Pronouns: He/Him

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 11:31 - Apr 8 with 1372 viewsDarth_Koont

Apologist!

(You're right though)

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 13:10 - Apr 8 with 1290 viewsDarth_Koont

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 11:30 - Apr 8 by Darth_Koont

Don't be silly.

This is the lunacy of many of the antisemitism accusations in recent times.

I know you are one of the biggest of the loons in the lunacy, lowers.

But be interested to hear your take on it. It's nothing like Trevor Phillip's islamophobic comments but the same phenomenon at work: People seeing the same threshold of evidence differently depending on whether it's going with the narrative or against it.

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 14:56 - Apr 8 with 1219 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ed Miliband's nose I assume. Doesn't look like that in real life.

Edit - ah, actually it does a little

Feck knows. I'm keeping out of it. Same way some of the bleating about the lefties stereotyping Jews was overboard, there's probably some bleating about righties being AS that's wide of the mark too.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 15:06]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 15:01 - Apr 8 with 1210 viewsBryanPlug

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 23:15 - Apr 7 by tractordownsouth

Look at the nose

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 15:28 - Apr 8 with 1186 viewswitchdoctor

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 13:10 - Apr 8 by Darth_Koont

I know you are one of the biggest of the loons in the lunacy, lowers.

But be interested to hear your take on it. It's nothing like Trevor Phillip's islamophobic comments but the same phenomenon at work: People seeing the same threshold of evidence differently depending on whether it's going with the narrative or against it.

why are you replying to yourself?.
Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 16:05 - Apr 8 with 1145 viewsDarth_Koont

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 15:28 - Apr 8 by witchdoctor

why are you replying to yourself?.

Lowhouse is going around doing his usual obsessive downvoting.

I know he disagrees but occasionally I'm interested in why.

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 09:29 - Apr 9 with 961 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not sure how I missed this thread yesterday but here’s my thought on it.

The two issues that seem to have been picked up on is the nose and the bacon sandwich.

Re the bacon sandwich, EM is mostly known for being unable to successfully eat a bacon sandwich without getting it all of his chops so there is obviously no antisemitic intent there. In fact if you played a word association game and EM’s name came up I imagine most people would say bacon sandwich.

Which brings us in to the nose. The cartoon portrays him with a big nose and goofy teeth. EM has a big nose and goofy teeth. It’s a cartoon that mocks how he looks. It’s not mocking how he looks because he is Jewish. And that is the context which defines whether it’s antisemitic or not.

A prime example would be the mural that got Jezza in a bit of bother a couple of years ago. The issue with the mural wasn’t that it portrayed Jews with big people noses. It portrayed people with big noses making money off the backs of the poor. Other cartoons featuring a “generic hook nosed Jew” portray them as controlling the media or pulling foreign government strings. The other antisemitic cartoon you can often see is the hooked nosed Jew with blood around their mouth, which plays up to the blood libel trope. It’s the trope that goes alongside the hooked nose Jew that makes it antisemitic.

If the following typical comment I’ve seen regarding the cartoon is anything to go by......

” They dragged life long legendary anti racism and peace campaigners through the mud for years and then endorse blantant anti semitic anti labour articles and cartoons”.........

the people calling this antisemitic are less concerned with whether the cartoon is genuinely antisemitic and more about continuing to deny the rampant antisemitism in their own ranks.

The question that we should be asking though is why is it normal for cartoons which caricature politicians exaggerate the way people look in order to humiliate them?

I know it’s a tradition that goes back centuries but it’s odd when you think about it. George Osborne thinks nothing of publishing this cartoon mocking EM’s features but he wouldn’t write an editorial saying that Zed Miliband is ugly and talks with a lisp.

Edit. Kier Starmer looks more like Bill Clinton in this cartoon.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2020 10:55]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 10:39 - Apr 9 with 929 viewsDarth_Koont

Gideon posting anti semitic cartoons on 09:29 - Apr 9 by GlasgowBlue

Not sure how I missed this thread yesterday but here’s my thought on it.

The two issues that seem to have been picked up on is the nose and the bacon sandwich.

Re the bacon sandwich, EM is mostly known for being unable to successfully eat a bacon sandwich without getting it all of his chops so there is obviously no antisemitic intent there. In fact if you played a word association game and EM’s name came up I imagine most people would say bacon sandwich.

Which brings us in to the nose. The cartoon portrays him with a big nose and goofy teeth. EM has a big nose and goofy teeth. It’s a cartoon that mocks how he looks. It’s not mocking how he looks because he is Jewish. And that is the context which defines whether it’s antisemitic or not.

A prime example would be the mural that got Jezza in a bit of bother a couple of years ago. The issue with the mural wasn’t that it portrayed Jews with big people noses. It portrayed people with big noses making money off the backs of the poor. Other cartoons featuring a “generic hook nosed Jew” portray them as controlling the media or pulling foreign government strings. The other antisemitic cartoon you can often see is the hooked nosed Jew with blood around their mouth, which plays up to the blood libel trope. It’s the trope that goes alongside the hooked nose Jew that makes it antisemitic.

If the following typical comment I’ve seen regarding the cartoon is anything to go by......

” They dragged life long legendary anti racism and peace campaigners through the mud for years and then endorse blantant anti semitic anti labour articles and cartoons”.........

the people calling this antisemitic are less concerned with whether the cartoon is genuinely antisemitic and more about continuing to deny the rampant antisemitism in their own ranks.

The question that we should be asking though is why is it normal for cartoons which caricature politicians exaggerate the way people look in order to humiliate them?

I know it’s a tradition that goes back centuries but it’s odd when you think about it. George Osborne thinks nothing of publishing this cartoon mocking EM’s features but he wouldn’t write an editorial saying that Zed Miliband is ugly and talks with a lisp.

Edit. Kier Starmer looks more like Bill Clinton in this cartoon.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2020 10:55]

Massive, massive double standards at work there.

You did exactly the same for Trevor Phillips.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024