Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently 23:50 - Apr 7 with 2255 viewsgainsboroughblue

Source Sky Sports.

Great striker but before my time. Though I was very much in the 'Saint and Greavsie era'.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 02:15 - Apr 8 with 2167 viewsWeWereZombies

The first, and some would say the best, goal poacher. I am ashamed to say that when I saw the headline on the BBC I was surprised that he is still with us.

'Saint and Greavsie' broke new ground in sports presentation in Britain with a more approachable format and the, by modern standards, gentle banter between the two. To some extent it paved the way for Baddiel and Skinner. Hope he pulls through.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 03:01 - Apr 8 with 2156 viewsStNeotsBlue

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 02:15 - Apr 8 by WeWereZombies

The first, and some would say the best, goal poacher. I am ashamed to say that when I saw the headline on the BBC I was surprised that he is still with us.

'Saint and Greavsie' broke new ground in sports presentation in Britain with a more approachable format and the, by modern standards, gentle banter between the two. To some extent it paved the way for Baddiel and Skinner. Hope he pulls through.

BT have done an excellent film about Jimmy Greaves, I think it was first aired a couple of months ago. They've done a number of this type of thing now and they are consistently top drawer, other examples were one about the Corinthian Casuals and one about the Crazy Gang at Wimbledon.
Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 05:18 - Apr 8 with 2104 viewsChrisd

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 03:01 - Apr 8 by StNeotsBlue

BT have done an excellent film about Jimmy Greaves, I think it was first aired a couple of months ago. They've done a number of this type of thing now and they are consistently top drawer, other examples were one about the Corinthian Casuals and one about the Crazy Gang at Wimbledon.

Greavsie is a terrific watch and highly recommended especially with his battles both on and off the pitch. I just wonder, if he was playing today how much he’d command for a transfer fee? He really was top drawer, oozed class and made scoring goals look easy.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 07:23 - Apr 8 with 2042 viewsFtnfwest

Incredible player hope he pulls through. The BBC made the 66 World Cup 50th anniversary just before his health took a dive thankfully, which is always worth a watch. He features quite prominently
Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 07:51 - Apr 8 with 1998 viewssolemio

Yes the Corinthian Casuals film is very interesting too.
Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 08:26 - Apr 8 with 1970 viewsPJH

Now that is more of a concern to me than the other bloke that is in the news as being unwell.

Jimmy Greaves is the greatest goalscorer/striker that I have ever had the pleasure of seeing play.

He has had health problems of one sort or another for a long time, I hope he gets through this.
Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 08:48 - Apr 8 with 1939 viewsSwailsey

My dad had a VHS of 'It's Funny Old Game' which I watched to death when I was a kid.

It's all on YouTube, I revisited it the other day.

Best wishes JG.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 08:59 - Apr 8 with 1908 viewsITFC_Forever

On the subject of phenomenal goal-scorers from before most of our times, Brian Clough also had an incredible record - 204 goals in 222 games for Sunderland and 63 in 74 for Sunderland, those two spells across ten years from the mid-50s to the mid-60s.

I think as there's not many around these days who can temember them playing, his and Greaves' exploits are often forgotten.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 09:59 - Apr 8 with 1853 viewsfactual_blue

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 08:26 - Apr 8 by PJH

Now that is more of a concern to me than the other bloke that is in the news as being unwell.

Jimmy Greaves is the greatest goalscorer/striker that I have ever had the pleasure of seeing play.

He has had health problems of one sort or another for a long time, I hope he gets through this.

As a player he was a true great, and I remember the shock at him being left out of the 1966 WC final (he'd been injured, recovered, but Sir Alf opted to keep a winning team. I think he may have had some off-field problems as well).

His scoring record was remarkable - over 400 goals in about 600 senior games.

And one of the best pundits.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 11:05 - Apr 8 with 1812 viewsGeoffSentence

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 02:15 - Apr 8 by WeWereZombies

Me too, I could have sworn that he died last year.

Not for the first time, I was wrong.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 11:24 - Apr 8 with 1799 viewsRadlett_blue

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 08:59 - Apr 8 by ITFC_Forever

On the subject of phenomenal goal-scorers from before most of our times, Brian Clough also had an incredible record - 204 goals in 222 games for Sunderland and 63 in 74 for Sunderland, those two spells across ten years from the mid-50s to the mid-60s.

I think as there's not many around these days who can temember them playing, his and Greaves' exploits are often forgotten.

Nearly all of Clough's goals were scored in the 2nd tier. I only saw Greaves towards the end of his career on TV, but some of the footage of him in his prime showed what an incredible player he was. Missing the 1966 World Cup final was such a watershed moment in his career. I did see Greaves play one season at Chelmsford City when he was 36 & he was leading goalscorer with 20 goals in a relegated team from what was then the Southern League, Premier division so only 1 tier below the Football League. His chance taking was amazing - almost every shot at goal clean, low & in the corner.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 12:03 - Apr 8 with 1761 viewsPJH

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 11:24 - Apr 8 by Radlett_blue

Nearly all of Clough's goals were scored in the 2nd tier. I only saw Greaves towards the end of his career on TV, but some of the footage of him in his prime showed what an incredible player he was. Missing the 1966 World Cup final was such a watershed moment in his career. I did see Greaves play one season at Chelmsford City when he was 36 & he was leading goalscorer with 20 goals in a relegated team from what was then the Southern League, Premier division so only 1 tier below the Football League. His chance taking was amazing - almost every shot at goal clean, low & in the corner.

I was at Wembley for the 1962 F.A. Cup Final and he scored the first goal in Spurs 3-1 win against Burnley.

Most of what I remember of him is from TV but I did see him play sometimes when he was at his peak.

There were a number of goals with him beating three of four defenders and then going round the keeper and putting the ball in the empty net.

He was a player that could legitimately be called great.
Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 13:27 - Apr 8 with 1702 viewsRadlett_blue

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 12:03 - Apr 8 by PJH

I was at Wembley for the 1962 F.A. Cup Final and he scored the first goal in Spurs 3-1 win against Burnley.

Most of what I remember of him is from TV but I did see him play sometimes when he was at his peak.

There were a number of goals with him beating three of four defenders and then going round the keeper and putting the ball in the empty net.

He was a player that could legitimately be called great.

Absolutely - a sort of Michael Owen & Gary Lineker rolled into one.

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 13:30 - Apr 8 with 1699 viewsEwan_Oozami

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 13:27 - Apr 8 by Radlett_blue

And a bit of Messi as well..

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 15:26 - Apr 8 with 1645 viewsPJH

I just looked at the piece on the SKY website and there is a factual error there.

The error is understandable because they are talking about an era long before they invented football but it says that Jimmy Greaves was part of the Spurs team that won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1961/62.

They were not in the ECWC in 1961/62 as they were in the European Cup having been the first team in the 20th century to do the double in 1960/61(the last time Spurs won the title)-they won the ECWC in 1962/63.
Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 15:34 - Apr 8 with 1627 viewsITFC_Forever

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 11:24 - Apr 8 by Radlett_blue

Ah, I didn't appreciate that.

But even so, Clough's strike-rate was incredible.

How come he didn't play at a higher level? Surely someone would have signed up a player with those stats?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 17:45 - Apr 8 with 1570 viewsRadlett_blue

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 15:34 - Apr 8 by ITFC_Forever

Ah, I didn't appreciate that.

But even so, Clough's strike-rate was incredible.

How come he didn't play at a higher level? Surely someone would have signed up a player with those stats?

Clough began his career at Middlesbrough & made repeated transfer requests, but in those days, under the retain-and-transfer system a club didn't have to sell a player if it didn't want to. 2nd division rivals Sunderland paid £55k for Clough in 1961, quite big money in those days & they clearly had an eye on promotion, missing out on goal average in Clough's second, aborted season. He was considered good enough to win 2 England caps, failing to score in either game.

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 22:41 - Apr 8 with 1491 viewshochiblue

Astonishing player. Along with George Best and John Wark, you couldn’t put a value on him in the modern game.
Used to irritate me, reading the Football League Review before the game that Ray was only ever third in the goal scorers lists, behind Greaves and Roger Hunt. Those were certainly the days!
Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 23:06 - Apr 8 with 1476 viewsRocky

Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 13:27 - Apr 8 by Radlett_blue

He had - for want of a better phrase - "twinkly feet" - slightly similar to Messi in some ways and was able to keep control and stop defenders being able to challenge before suddenly unleashing a careful shot out of the keeper's reach. His goal v Burnley in the FA Cup Final was quite typical of this. His controlled shooting was so accurate that he rarely missed the target when in his prime.
A one-off in every way.
Jimmy Greaves ill in hospital apparently on 18:07 - Apr 9 with 1368 viewsStNeotsBlue

The Corinthian's film is being shown again tonight on BT Sport 2 at 10pm. Well worth a watch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024