Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? 21:56 - Apr 8 with 2188 viewsBrixtonBlue

I vaguely remember this one coming out, and never knew it was him.

Just heard it properly, randomly popping up on a Spotify playlist. Wow. At full blast, this absolutely rocks. Effing mental.

I guess this could be a 'discoveries you didn't think was your thing' thread.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 22:00 - Apr 8 with 2171 viewsSpruceMoose

'cos, like me, you a middle class honky?
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 22:02]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 22:14 - Apr 8 with 2111 viewsBrixtonBlue

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 22:00 - Apr 8 by SpruceMoose

Good point, well made.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 22:24 - Apr 8 with 2096 viewsSpruceMoose

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 22:14 - Apr 8 by BrixtonBlue

Good point, well made.

Hey man, us crackers have to stick together.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 22:57 - Apr 8 with 2045 viewsmonytowbray

All about Hard Knock Life.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:23 - Apr 9 with 1892 viewsazuremerlangus

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 22:00 - Apr 8 by SpruceMoose

Never got this genre of music.

When Rappers’ Delight came out (‘79?) I thought it was a novelty record (and still see it as such) similar to the Birdy Song.

Each and everyone to their own I suppose.

Mind you, I did enjoy Flight of the Conchords attempt:

"Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros"

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:38 - Apr 9 with 1868 viewsStNeotsBlue

I've always found Jay Z massively overrated, started out as a hype man for Big Daddy Kane who was a much better lyricist. Jay Z is clearly a fantastic businessman but his music is a shadow of the lads he was following.
How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:41 - Apr 9 with 1862 viewsDanTheMan

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:23 - Apr 9 by azuremerlangus

When Rappers’ Delight came out (‘79?) I thought it was a novelty record (and still see it as such) similar to the Birdy Song.

"Each and everyone to their own I suppose."

Exactly, I'd be amazed if everyone liked every single genre of music.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:43 - Apr 9 with 1855 viewsNewcyBlue

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:23 - Apr 9 by azuremerlangus

There are some superb country music / rap hybrids out there.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:48 - Apr 9 with 1843 viewsDanTheMan

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:43 - Apr 9 by NewcyBlue

I like rap-rock hybrids.

And to bring that back to ITFC (a little anyway!)

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:51 - Apr 9 with 1837 viewsNewcyBlue

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:48 - Apr 9 by DanTheMan

I like rap-rock hybrids.

Outstanding album that. Great for a weights session in the gym!

Always knew you were a man of excellent judgement Dan!

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 09:15 - Apr 9 with 1818 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I’m the hip-hopapotomous, my lyrics are bottomless

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 09:48 - Apr 9 with 1774 viewsBlueBadger

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:43 - Apr 9 by NewcyBlue

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 09:49 - Apr 9 with 1769 viewsBlueBadger

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:48 - Apr 9 by DanTheMan

I like rap-rock hybrids.

Whilst we're on rap-rock, the new Body Count album is outstanding.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 09:58 - Apr 9 with 1743 viewsWeWereZombies

Despite my advancing years I like to dip into rap and hippety-hoppity (see, I even know the original term) so had taken the widely accepted 'The Message' by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five as the starting point - released 1st July, 1982. But the Sugarhill Gang released 'Rapper's Delight' in 1979; so well pointed out. Although Gil Scott-Heron and various reggae toasters had put the pathways down for over a decade before then. I've just looked up the Wikipedia page for The Last Poets and find that they formed in 1968. I actually saw this collective at a one day festival in Windsor (!) roundabout 1973 and on the same bill as The Pretty Things and Hawkwind.

So I was aware of '99 problems' not too long after release, but perhaps because it got parodied on 'Mock The Week' or something like that. A few years after I thought I must catch up and buy 'The Black Album' but I find the opening tracks so ludicrous that I haven't really given it a good listen. To get a feel for hip hop I recommend a read of the WIkipedia page for 'Fight The Power' by Public Enemy, it changed my mind about the depth of the genre.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2020 12:13]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 10:03 - Apr 9 with 1739 viewsfooters

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 09:58 - Apr 9 by WeWereZombies

Despite my advancing years I like to dip into rap and hippety-hoppity (see, I even know the original term) so had taken the widely accepted 'The Message' by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five as the starting point - released 1st July, 1982. But the Sugarhill Gang released 'Rapper's Delight' in 1979; so well pointed out. Although Gil Scott-Heron and various reggae toasters had put the pathways down for over a decade before then. I've just looked up the Wikipedia page for The Last Poets and find that they formed in 1968. I actually saw this collective at a one day festival in Windsor (!) roundabout 1973 and on the same bill as The Pretty Things and Hawkwind.

So I was aware of '99 problems' not too long after release, but perhaps because it got parodied on 'Mock The Week' or something like that. A few years after I thought I must catch up and buy 'The Black Album' but I find the opening tracks so ludicrous that I haven't really given it a good listen. To get a feel for hip hop I recommend a read of the WIkipedia page for 'Fight The Power' by Public Enemy, it changed my mind about the depth of the genre.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2020 12:13]

Correction. The first ever rap track was Ahab the Arab by none other than Jimmy Savile.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 10:05 - Apr 9 with 1733 viewsRadlett_blue

Country & rap. Sound like creating a meal from 2 ingredients I hate and expecting it to taste good, like rhubarb and aubergine.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 10:08 - Apr 9 with 1729 viewsNewcyBlue

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 10:05 - Apr 9 by Radlett_blue

Country & rap. Sound like creating a meal from 2 ingredients I hate and expecting it to taste good, like rhubarb and aubergine.

You don't like rhubarb Radders?

It's splendid in a crumble...

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 10:12 - Apr 9 with 1718 viewsWeWereZombies

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 10:03 - Apr 9 by footers

Correction. The first ever rap track was Ahab the Arab by none other than Jimmy Savile.

Well thank you, not being one of his followers I was unaware of that. Did it predate 'Goodness Gracious Me'?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 10:14 - Apr 9 with 1715 viewsRadlett_blue

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 10:08 - Apr 9 by NewcyBlue

You don't like rhubarb Radders?

It's splendid in a crumble...

We usually have a decent crop of rhubarb, which has recently been harvested. Fortunately, Mrs Radlett had the sense to make a rhubarb fool, not a crumble. I have also tried some very nice rhubarb & blackcurrant jam made by a friend, but I think it's far more blackcurrant than rhubarb. Took me a few weeks to pluck up the courage to try it, especially as the maker lives in Norfolk.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 11:04 - Apr 9 with 1672 viewsWeWereZombies

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 10:03 - Apr 9 by footers

Do you want to put it up against this?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 11:09 - Apr 9 with 1655 viewsfooters

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 11:04 - Apr 9 by WeWereZombies

Do you want to put it up against this?

Savile's track was 1962...

But really, I think most people would say the first proper 'rapper' was King Tim III in 79.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 11:50 - Apr 9 with 1619 viewsWeWereZombies

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 11:09 - Apr 9 by footers

Savile's track was 1962...

But really, I think most people would say the first proper 'rapper' was King Tim III in 79.

Tragically I looked up 'Ahab the Arab' too, it should also be noted that Saville's attempt was a cover of a Ray Stevens song from the same year. 'Goodness Gracious Me' was released in 1960, and there was a follow up called 'Bangers and Mash'. But, of course, spoken word records have been with us since time immemorial (excuse me a moment while I tighten my grip on the edge of the forum). I think it was Alexander Graham Bell who intoned 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' to Thomas Edison by virtue of the wax cylinders in each of his ears...

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 19:08 - Apr 9 with 1527 viewswoodbridge_blue

How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 08:41 - Apr 9 by DanTheMan

"Each and everyone to their own I suppose."

Exactly, I'd be amazed if everyone liked every single genre of music.

I can clearly remember dancing to Rappers Delight in Tracy's nightclub in the late 70s.
How is it I've got this far in life and never listened to any Jay-Z? on 19:50 - Apr 9 with 1514 viewsTrequartista

Farmers With Attitude - Straight Outta Hacheston is a corker.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024