Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing 07:01 - Apr 9 with 3380 viewsDubtractor

We are going to NEED to change how we look after our society after this. For too long we have seen a race to the bottom for those in low paid/manual jobs. What we're now seeing, as if it was ever in doubt, is these are the very people that are essential to keeping our country moving. Not the 'wealth creators'. For the avoidance of doubt, I have no issue with people being well paid, or even super rich, but we've got the balance so horribly wrong in recent times that it is a tragedy.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 07:21 - Apr 9 with 2594 viewsDanTheMan

Very well said.

I have little hope in any real change.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 07:49 - Apr 9 with 2539 viewsPippin1970

Problem is going to be exodus from NHS and social care system. I'm going back into Primary Schools teaching after this. Done mental health work and challenging disabilities for years. They dropped our new hourly rate back in when all this going on.
This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 08:15 - Apr 9 with 2489 viewsbluelagos

What hit home last night was the impact on child protection issues. A very compelling case on last night's Newsnight on this.

The costs of the lockdown are so much more than economic. The decision of when to come out will be a fine judgement but I hope it considers much more than "simply lives lost v financial costs". They need to try and assess the social impacts too which are going to grow exponentially too as we continue with the lockdown.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 08:37 - Apr 9 with 2439 viewsHerbivore

I do have an issue with people being super rich on the basis that becoming super rich is always predicated on exploitation in some shape or form. It's also utterly unnecessary for any individual to even have as much wealth as £1bn. I don't think people quite understand just what an insane amount of money that is.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 08:42 - Apr 9 with 2424 viewsDubtractor

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 08:37 - Apr 9 by Herbivore

I do have an issue with people being super rich on the basis that becoming super rich is always predicated on exploitation in some shape or form. It's also utterly unnecessary for any individual to even have as much wealth as £1bn. I don't think people quite understand just what an insane amount of money that is.

Yeah, prob worth clarifying that when I say 'super rich' I don't mean billionaires really, I'm talking more high millions. So still a huge amount of money, but I agree that there is simply no need for billionaires.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 08:49 - Apr 9 with 2400 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed.

The real tragedy is it takes people dying (and the threat reaching those otherwise cocooned from normal hardships) for people to see what should have been obvious in the first place.

So part of me is hopeful that many have woken up from this mass delusion. And part of me is realistic that we'll probably go straight back into it when it comes to picking up the tab for giving loads of money to corporations. We'll see how serious we are with any raising of taxes - income tax and/or corporate tax - to drag us up from an already low level for a civilised country.

Pronouns: He/Him

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 09:04 - Apr 9 with 2362 viewsBloomBlue

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 08:15 - Apr 9 by bluelagos

What hit home last night was the impact on child protection issues. A very compelling case on last night's Newsnight on this.

The costs of the lockdown are so much more than economic. The decision of when to come out will be a fine judgement but I hope it considers much more than "simply lives lost v financial costs". They need to try and assess the social impacts too which are going to grow exponentially too as we continue with the lockdown.

People in abusive situations at home whether that be adults or children will be the biggest sufferers during this lockdown and as you say that's why the government have to balance it. If not a lot of people are and will suffer intolerable abuse and literally dying and not from CV. They are fast become then forgotten and for some people the acceptable consequence of the lockdown. Lots of people posting pictures of people in parks, open markets with 'morons' in the title when some could easier be people just escaping the abuse for a short time
This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 09:28 - Apr 9 with 2333 viewsJakeITFC

Mind boggling that the Conservatives romped home with a ludicrous majority four months ago.
Login to get fewer ads

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 09:30 - Apr 9 with 2329 viewsBlueBadger

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 09:28 - Apr 9 by JakeITFC

Mind boggling that the Conservatives romped home with a ludicrous majority four months ago.

That's the level of incompetence at the top of the last Labour leadership that some people STILL won't see.

Jeremy Corbyn is the Paul Lambert of politics.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 09:57 - Apr 9 with 2280 viewsnoggin

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 09:30 - Apr 9 by BlueBadger

That's the level of incompetence at the top of the last Labour leadership that some people STILL won't see.

I think it was more the super rich spreading anti Corbyn propaganda which influenced the plebs.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 10:06 - Apr 9 with 2256 viewsDarth_Koont

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 09:57 - Apr 9 by noggin

I think it was more the super rich spreading anti Corbyn propaganda which influenced the plebs.

And people like Badger in the soft centre doing the same to be fair.

We can't just blame the Establishment here. If ordinary people took the issues and facts more seriously than the game of politics then the majority in the UK would be in a better place.

Pronouns: He/Him

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 10:08 - Apr 9 with 2246 viewsJakeITFC

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 09:30 - Apr 9 by BlueBadger

Well whatever you think of Corbyn, it's hard to stomach people championing messages like the above from Newsnight when there was an election on these issues a few months ago and they were rejected out of hand.
This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 11:42 - Apr 9 with 2156 viewsWeWereZombies

That clip is also within a thoughtful piece on the BBC website about the way language is used around the response to the virus:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52216542

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 11:47 - Apr 9 with 2142 viewsgordon

Completely agree with this - if it's a battle, your body is just the battleground. Whether your good at tennis or not is irrelevant (as Cameron and some mate of Bojo have pointed out in the last couple of days).

The talk about 'beating' coronavirus as a society is also misleading - there's a decent chance that it's just going to be something that we have to learn to live with.
This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:10 - Apr 9 with 2099 viewsLord_Lucan

For the avoidance of doubt is it being suggested that shelf stackers, shop workers, bus drivers etc should be better paid and if so how does it stop these people getting the virus, and who is going to do these jobs at this time of crisis if not the people who are in their current positions?

Of course people in tower blocks are going to suffer more during the lockdown than others, I regularly say to my wife how lucky we are in this situation but I'm not sure what point is trying to be made here either, is it being suggested we flatten these buildings?

As for the comments by dopey Raab, he said the same thing that a friend would say to others about another friend in the same situation, we all say it. If Uncle Bob has cancer we all say, he's a fighter.

Not trying to start an argument here, just trying to understand what people are on about.

As for bus drivers - why the hell don't they lock the front entrance, rope off the front rows and make people get on the middle or back doors (where appropriate of course)

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:14 - Apr 9 with 2075 viewsgiant_stow

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 10:06 - Apr 9 by Darth_Koont

And people like Badger in the soft centre doing the same to be fair.

We can't just blame the Establishment here. If ordinary people took the issues and facts more seriously than the game of politics then the majority in the UK would be in a better place.

Can't agree - people had no eescape form politics ever since Brexit - it's taken a pandemic to finish that.

They just didn't like what Corbyn's labour offered - thankfully its done now and working people have a chance of being represented again.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:16 - Apr 9 with 2071 viewsgordon

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:10 - Apr 9 by Lord_Lucan

For the avoidance of doubt is it being suggested that shelf stackers, shop workers, bus drivers etc should be better paid and if so how does it stop these people getting the virus, and who is going to do these jobs at this time of crisis if not the people who are in their current positions?

Of course people in tower blocks are going to suffer more during the lockdown than others, I regularly say to my wife how lucky we are in this situation but I'm not sure what point is trying to be made here either, is it being suggested we flatten these buildings?

As for the comments by dopey Raab, he said the same thing that a friend would say to others about another friend in the same situation, we all say it. If Uncle Bob has cancer we all say, he's a fighter.

Not trying to start an argument here, just trying to understand what people are on about.

As for bus drivers - why the hell don't they lock the front entrance, rope off the front rows and make people get on the middle or back doors (where appropriate of course)

It isn't clear what point you're making about people talking about people with cancer being 'fighters'.

If healthcare professionals, survivors, and the family of those who have lost loved ones are clear that this sort of language is unhelpful, then the fact that you have a hypothetical friend who isn't aware of this doesn't seem enormously relevant or important.
This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:23 - Apr 9 with 2055 viewsjaykay

agree 100 % but we were always told it jealousy and worse its lefty ideals.
these poor people were classed as unskilled late last year. i bet they are glad they voted against a pay rise for these people in 2017

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:27 - Apr 9 with 2045 viewsLord_Lucan

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:16 - Apr 9 by gordon

It isn't clear what point you're making about people talking about people with cancer being 'fighters'.

If healthcare professionals, survivors, and the family of those who have lost loved ones are clear that this sort of language is unhelpful, then the fact that you have a hypothetical friend who isn't aware of this doesn't seem enormously relevant or important.

Oh I see.

It's the language that is being used that is the issue, I am thick so I completely misunderstood the message.

Fair enough.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2020 12:29]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:31 - Apr 9 with 2035 viewsleitrimblue

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 09:28 - Apr 9 by JakeITFC

Sorry Jake, but you seem to have forgot that we had no choice but to vote conservative because Labour we're such a dangerous threat to Jewish communities
This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:35 - Apr 9 with 2019 viewsJakeITFC

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:31 - Apr 9 by leitrimblue

Sorry Jake, but you seem to have forgot that we had no choice but to vote conservative because Labour we're such a dangerous threat to Jewish communities

Whereas the Conservatives are a dangerous threat to every community.

That Corbyn and co. got framed as the racist baddies in the last few years of political commentary remains at best an absolute mystery.
This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:38 - Apr 9 with 2004 viewsBlueBadger

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:35 - Apr 9 by JakeITFC

That Corbyn and co. got framed as the racist baddies in the last few years of political commentary remains at best an absolute mystery.

From my point of view, it's because frankly, I expect better from Labour. The half-arsed approach and utter lack of leadership from the top echelons allowed that narrative to be drawn.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:44 - Apr 9 with 1982 viewsleitrimblue

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:35 - Apr 9 by JakeITFC

Sorry i spelt rich an certain sections of the middle class wrong
This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:47 - Apr 9 with 1961 viewsMeadowlark

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:10 - Apr 9 by Lord_Lucan

They have to pay the driver.
This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:53 - Apr 9 with 1939 viewsWeWereZombies

This from Emily Maitlis is essential viewing on 12:47 - Apr 9 by Meadowlark

They have to pay the driver.

Don't most buses have contactless nowadays?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024