Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NHS pay 00:17 - Apr 11 with 2750 viewspistonbroke

Hopefully after Boris gets through this awful illness , and he has relied on our wonderful nhs staff , he will then pay them the wages that they deserve
NHS pay on 00:42 - Apr 11 with 2025 viewsJ2BLUE

It will be up to us to demand they get paid more. We will have to voluntarily demand a tax increase to pay them more.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

NHS pay on 01:04 - Apr 11 with 2012 viewsmonytowbray

NHS pay on 00:42 - Apr 11 by J2BLUE

It will be up to us to demand they get paid more. We will have to voluntarily demand a tax increase to pay them more.

Or they could close tax loopholes. The entire world. If this crisis has proven anything it’s that billionaires should give more back and are mostly worthless.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

NHS pay on 07:25 - Apr 11 with 1919 viewsLiquidPaz

It's still grips my sh1t, thinking back to the government cheering like kids at a party when they voted not to increase NHS pay, whilst happily accepting an 11% pay rise themselves.
NHS pay on 07:27 - Apr 11 with 1912 viewsDubtractor

NHS pay on 01:04 - Apr 11 by monytowbray

Or they could close tax loopholes. The entire world. If this crisis has proven anything it’s that billionaires should give more back and are mostly worthless.

To paraphrase a theme I've seen a few times recently.

What is the point of letting billionaires hoard wealth in the good times if they won't put any back in during the bad times?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

NHS pay on 09:41 - Apr 11 with 1827 viewsGuthrum

NHS pay on 07:27 - Apr 11 by Dubtractor

To paraphrase a theme I've seen a few times recently.

What is the point of letting billionaires hoard wealth in the good times if they won't put any back in during the bad times?

At the risk of being controversial, many - probably most - of the super-wealthy do put a lot back in terms of charitable giving (in good times and bad). Tho a lot of attention is focussed upon those bad eggs who don't, or who behave in a blatantly grasping fashion.

The problem is more with large companies who use their leverage to get favourable tax agreements at extremely low rates compared with smaller fry. Also with a certain class of the moderately wealthy (in the tens of millions bracket), who are intent on increasing their fortunes but, coming from the libertarian/greed is good background popularised in the '80s, ideologically disinclined to support society.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

NHS pay on 09:47 - Apr 11 with 1808 viewsPinewoodblue

Government will respond to public opinion. If the populous demanded that standard rate of income tax was increased by 1p to be spent on increase in nurses pay, and the higher rate by 2p then I am sure it would happen.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

NHS pay on 10:10 - Apr 11 with 1774 viewsmos

I don’t know.

After all the debt we will accumulate after this, and the massive budget deficit that we will incur I doubt there’ll be major spending plans to follow.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

NHS pay on 10:22 - Apr 11 with 1754 viewsPinewoodblue

NHS pay on 10:10 - Apr 11 by mos

I don’t know.

After all the debt we will accumulate after this, and the massive budget deficit that we will incur I doubt there’ll be major spending plans to follow.

Think the biggest potential problem is that after this is over people might be reluctant to spend, postpone home improvements , replace car etc

2023 year of destiny

Login to get fewer ads

NHS pay on 10:25 - Apr 11 with 1745 viewsnoggin

I believe BJ is on a private ward. #All in it together
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 10:36]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

NHS pay on 10:37 - Apr 11 with 1724 viewsmos

NHS pay on 10:22 - Apr 11 by Pinewoodblue

Think the biggest potential problem is that after this is over people might be reluctant to spend, postpone home improvements , replace car etc

Agreed, I think this could be very impactful on the rate of our economic recovery.

It’s a shame because I don’t think anyone would disagree there is some serious funding that needs to be put into the NHS amongst other things.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum

NHS pay on 10:39 - Apr 11 with 1712 viewsnoggin

NHS pay on 10:37 - Apr 11 by mos

Agreed, I think this could be very impactful on the rate of our economic recovery.

It’s a shame because I don’t think anyone would disagree there is some serious funding that needs to be put into the NHS amongst other things.

350 million a week, post brexit.

NHS pay on 10:39 - Apr 11 with 1714 viewsStokieBlue

NHS pay on 10:25 - Apr 11 by noggin

Petty sniping like this is totally pointless at this time.

He's the PM, not entirely sure what you were expecting. It would be the same with any historic PM from any party.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

NHS pay on 10:40 - Apr 11 with 1701 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

NHS pay on 10:10 - Apr 11 by mos

I don’t know.

Qualified doctors are very well paid (rightly so), I don't think their wage needs reviewing. I know a doctor who was concerned that his pension was accumulating at such a rate he was worried about the extra tax it might attract.

I think it's primarily nurses and more junior staff who are seen as underpaid.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

NHS pay on 10:43 - Apr 11 with 1682 viewsBlueNomad

NHS pay on 10:25 - Apr 11 by noggin

There are security issues around protecting the head of government. For that reason alone he needs to be kept separate from everyone else.
NHS pay on 10:44 - Apr 11 with 1679 viewsnoggin

NHS pay on 10:40 - Apr 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

Qualified doctors are very well paid (rightly so), I don't think their wage needs reviewing. I know a doctor who was concerned that his pension was accumulating at such a rate he was worried about the extra tax it might attract.

You might want to look at the pay rate for junior doctors, as well as their working hours.

NHS pay on 10:45 - Apr 11 with 1674 viewsPinewoodblue

Well said. No doubt senior hospital administrators are in the same position.

2023 year of destiny

NHS pay on 10:46 - Apr 11 with 1669 viewsnoggin

NHS pay on 10:39 - Apr 11 by StokieBlue

Petty sniping like this is totally pointless at this time.

He's the PM, not entirely sure what you were expecting. It would be the same with any historic PM from any party.

SB

I would normally agree, but this is a government that cheered when they won a vote on denying nurses a pay rise.

NHS pay on 10:47 - Apr 11 with 1657 viewsmos

NHS pay on 10:39 - Apr 11 by noggin

350 million a week, post brexit.

Might be a whoosh.

But how much of that will have to go to farmers as a replacement for EU CAP subsidies? And isn’t membership of one of the world’s biggest political and economic unions worth the price we pay?

NHS pay on 10:48 - Apr 11 with 1650 viewsmos

I didn’t mention doctors. We are in agreement.

NHS pay on 10:50 - Apr 11 with 1640 viewsnoggin

NHS pay on 10:47 - Apr 11 by mos

Might be a whoosh.

But how much of that will have to go to farmers as a replacement for EU CAP subsidies? And isn’t membership of one of the world’s biggest political and economic unions worth the price we pay?

Yes, I was joking.

NHS pay on 10:54 - Apr 11 with 1611 viewsLord_Lucan

NHS pay on 10:46 - Apr 11 by noggin

I would normally agree, but this is a government that cheered when they won a vote on denying nurses a pay rise.

This government?

When was this?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

NHS pay on 10:54 - Apr 11 with 1614 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

NHS pay on 10:44 - Apr 11 by noggin

You might want to look at the pay rate for junior doctors, as well as their working hours.

To be fair, they take a short term hit for a long term gain (like many people working their way up). The rewards are there.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 10:55]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

NHS pay on 11:03 - Apr 11 with 1589 viewsnoggin

NHS pay on 10:54 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

This government?

When was this?

The tory government, yes. Boris was there.

NHS pay on 11:06 - Apr 11 with 1585 viewsSwansea_Blue

NHS pay on 09:41 - Apr 11 by Guthrum

At the risk of being controversial, many - probably most - of the super-wealthy do put a lot back in terms of charitable giving (in good times and bad). Tho a lot of attention is focussed upon those bad eggs who don't, or who behave in a blatantly grasping fashion.

The problem is more with large companies who use their leverage to get favourable tax agreements at extremely low rates compared with smaller fry. Also with a certain class of the moderately wealthy (in the tens of millions bracket), who are intent on increasing their fortunes but, coming from the libertarian/greed is good background popularised in the '80s, ideologically disinclined to support society.

There’s quite a disparity between responses of the super rich.

The founder of Twitter is donating $1bn to the efforts, which is about 28% of his worth. That’s a sizeable chunk and highly commendable (yet still won’t be missed).

Bezos on the other hand is donating $100m to a food bank. That’ll no doubt be transformational for them, but that’s only 0.08% of his wealth. Or equivalent to someone on the average wage donating £23 (notwithstanding difference between wealth and income of course). Increasingly Bezos comes across as a total arsehole, especially in light of complaints he’s not taking health of his staff seriously.

Even Bill Gates, who’s getting positive press, is ‘only’ spending a “few billions”. He’ll still have over $95 billion of his fortune untouched. That’s more than the GDP of 126 countries.

I’m surprised there’s not more pressure on these people.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

NHS pay on 11:08 - Apr 11 with 1579 viewsElephantintheRoom

Erm no. Unfortunately reality has to kick in when this finaly ends - if it ever ends - because it can always come back.

There are only two certainties in life - death and taxes. So health workers and everyone else can plan on earning less in future through higer taxes.

For generations to come, massive tax increases is the only way to pay for what is going on at present - let alone rebuild the weflare state and health systems to a state where they may actually be able to work when and if the unexpected happens again.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024