Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cured patients test positive again 11:05 - Apr 11 with 1498 viewsMoriarty

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/recovered-coronavirus-patients-test-p

fka omuircheartaigh

Cured patients test positive again on 11:16 - Apr 11 with 1460 viewsGuthrum

I suspect the tests are not as reliable as people (especially the media) are assuming.

Which is probably unsurprising when it's a difficult swab to take (as Badger described), plus you're trying to match small traces of chemicals. The kits were hastily developed and thrown into mass production. Who knows what the quality control is like, how strictly observed in all factories.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cured patients test positive again on 12:13 - Apr 11 with 1387 viewshomer_123

Cured patients test positive again on 11:16 - Apr 11 by Guthrum

I suspect the tests are not as reliable as people (especially the media) are assuming.

Which is probably unsurprising when it's a difficult swab to take (as Badger described), plus you're trying to match small traces of chemicals. The kits were hastily developed and thrown into mass production. Who knows what the quality control is like, how strictly observed in all factories.

Although it was reported weeks ago that people in China were testing positive after having been given the all clear but 2nd time around were deemed non-infectious.

https://text.npr.org/s.php?sId=822407626

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-catch-twice/

In all likelihood its entirely feasible that you can catch Covid-19 a second time. Whilst you are correct that testing maybe not always 100% accurate, that doesn't detract from the fact that you can...even if rare.

Many diseases you should only catch once you can get a second time. Chicken Pox as an example...more often then not the first you caught it it was too mild to fully build resistance.

You've then got the situ that there is nothing stopping Covid-19 mutating in the short or long term or in actuality there maybe multiple strains.

And then you've got the wider possibility of this becoming seasonal asper the flu...which we need constant top ups of anti bodies.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Cured patients test positive again on 17:35 - Apr 11 with 1242 viewsRyorry

Cured patients test positive again on 12:13 - Apr 11 by homer_123

Although it was reported weeks ago that people in China were testing positive after having been given the all clear but 2nd time around were deemed non-infectious.

https://text.npr.org/s.php?sId=822407626

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-catch-twice/

In all likelihood its entirely feasible that you can catch Covid-19 a second time. Whilst you are correct that testing maybe not always 100% accurate, that doesn't detract from the fact that you can...even if rare.

Many diseases you should only catch once you can get a second time. Chicken Pox as an example...more often then not the first you caught it it was too mild to fully build resistance.

You've then got the situ that there is nothing stopping Covid-19 mutating in the short or long term or in actuality there maybe multiple strains.

And then you've got the wider possibility of this becoming seasonal asper the flu...which we need constant top ups of anti bodies.

I'm usually an optimist - but - over the past 3 weeks have become certain that Covid_19 will become globally endemic, and that there won't be any vaccine or treatment that's successful on its own.

This virus is a coronavirus same as the common cold and flu are - & we've yet to find a cure for those because it mutates, hence most people get a cold every year, not just once in a lifetime. And flu jabs don't always work because it's a matter of making educated guesses about what should go in them, to deal with whatever strains will turn out to be the ones doing the rounds. Sadly.

And still this Govt., the CMO & CSO completely fail to put out any message whatsoever to the general public about one of the best defences against the virus if you get it - boosting your immune system by eating plenty of fresh veg, fruit, fish & eggs either raw or conservatively cooked, getting as much exercise & sunshine as safely possible, plus a good amount of rest & sleep.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cured patients test positive again on 20:10 - Apr 11 with 1148 viewsjeera

Not exactly relevant here I know but for reference if anyone cares.

I was unwell just over a couple of months back. Knocked sideways for a few days; damn near on collapsing in the early stages. Anyway, I called it a virus and became much better within a week, but have had a hacking cough ever since. Posted on the hayfever thread weeks ago because I assumed that's what it was, and still might be.

Either way, I've got hayfever. No getting away from that.

Got to the point of having enough of coughing continuously yesterday afternoon. My chest has been a nightmare; tight, burning, so I called docs. Nothing other than some long-winded recording suggesting I go online.

So I went online and tried a few things but just kept being sent to the same page; fill in a short questionnaire. I did and was 'told' to call 111.

Rang them and they said someone more versed on the virus would call back, which they did within 20 minutes. Brilliant service considering.

Went through the motions and he told me that I was well within the time frame and that they have been treating people who have contracted the illness since as early as December.

That's all I got on that.

Speaking for me, he said I may or may not have had it - who knows? A cough for many weeks can be a common after-effect. To be tested would mean going to A&E and if I hadn't already had it then there's a fine chance it could be picked-up right there. Take your pick.

Unless you are seriously ill: very high temp, can barely breathe... then you're pretty much on your own and better off staying out of the way if you can.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 22:23]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Cured patients test positive again on 21:46 - Apr 11 with 1084 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Cured patients test positive again on 20:10 - Apr 11 by jeera

Not exactly relevant here I know but for reference if anyone cares.

I was unwell just over a couple of months back. Knocked sideways for a few days; damn near on collapsing in the early stages. Anyway, I called it a virus and became much better within a week, but have had a hacking cough ever since. Posted on the hayfever thread weeks ago because I assumed that's what it was, and still might be.

Either way, I've got hayfever. No getting away from that.

Got to the point of having enough of coughing continuously yesterday afternoon. My chest has been a nightmare; tight, burning, so I called docs. Nothing other than some long-winded recording suggesting I go online.

So I went online and tried a few things but just kept being sent to the same page; fill in a short questionnaire. I did and was 'told' to call 111.

Rang them and they said someone more versed on the virus would call back, which they did within 20 minutes. Brilliant service considering.

Went through the motions and he told me that I was well within the time frame and that they have been treating people who have contracted the illness since as early as December.

That's all I got on that.

Speaking for me, he said I may or may not have had it - who knows? A cough for many weeks can be a common after-effect. To be tested would mean going to A&E and if I hadn't already had it then there's a fine chance it could be picked-up right there. Take your pick.

Unless you are seriously ill: very high temp, can barely breathe... then you're pretty much on your own and better off staying out of the way if you can.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 22:23]

Back in December it would have been one of the many 'non specific viruses!'

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Cured patients test positive again on 21:53 - Apr 11 with 1070 viewsjeera

Cured patients test positive again on 21:46 - Apr 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

Back in December it would have been one of the many 'non specific viruses!'

He [doctor] was very clear when he said they have been treating people who had contracted the illness as far back as December.

Not that they were being treated as far back as December.

Cured patients test positive again on 22:12 - Apr 11 with 1050 viewsmonytowbray

Cured patients test positive again on 21:53 - Apr 11 by jeera

He [doctor] was very clear when he said they have been treating people who had contracted the illness as far back as December.

Not that they were being treated as far back as December.

I had the same illness you describe. Major vertigo, tight chest and difficulty breathing some days, although there was a week solid mid-December where it was constant. And the cough lingered for weeks. Didn’t f*ck off till mid-January. My Dad and Nan had it too. I had a chest x ray at the start of the year to check it wasn’t anything serious (GP referred me).

Problem is, I came down with something in November. Which was more like flu. So I spent then assuming what happened is I had the flu and the cough lingered.

But when I think now. It’s like, was it all one illness? My chest gets bad after most illnesses, and any cold I get almost always causes me chest problems for a week or two after. It seems odd to get something in early November and then still feel suddenly rough as balls in Mid-December. Could it be I was still feeling run down from something else and then I got the ‘Rona so I linked it all as one bout?

Then again if we had it around December, it makes me start to doubt the Wuhan link, as if the timelines of illness starting to spread to hospital cases and deaths is roughly the same, we wouldn’t have been far behind China.

My non-scienentific speculative theory based on what I’ve read is the illness has actually mutated to become more lethal over the course of months whilst going human to human. And actually it had been floating around China much longer. There still seems to be a lot of debate about whether the wet market was the link, for now it’s our best evidence but there are sill holes in said theory. Not all the initial cases had links to said wet market.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Cured patients test positive again on 22:30 - Apr 11 with 1022 viewsjeera

Cured patients test positive again on 22:12 - Apr 11 by monytowbray

I had the same illness you describe. Major vertigo, tight chest and difficulty breathing some days, although there was a week solid mid-December where it was constant. And the cough lingered for weeks. Didn’t f*ck off till mid-January. My Dad and Nan had it too. I had a chest x ray at the start of the year to check it wasn’t anything serious (GP referred me).

Problem is, I came down with something in November. Which was more like flu. So I spent then assuming what happened is I had the flu and the cough lingered.

But when I think now. It’s like, was it all one illness? My chest gets bad after most illnesses, and any cold I get almost always causes me chest problems for a week or two after. It seems odd to get something in early November and then still feel suddenly rough as balls in Mid-December. Could it be I was still feeling run down from something else and then I got the ‘Rona so I linked it all as one bout?

Then again if we had it around December, it makes me start to doubt the Wuhan link, as if the timelines of illness starting to spread to hospital cases and deaths is roughly the same, we wouldn’t have been far behind China.

My non-scienentific speculative theory based on what I’ve read is the illness has actually mutated to become more lethal over the course of months whilst going human to human. And actually it had been floating around China much longer. There still seems to be a lot of debate about whether the wet market was the link, for now it’s our best evidence but there are sill holes in said theory. Not all the initial cases had links to said wet market.

I would guess/assume that your illness was unrelated to Covid as that really does seem too soon. First reported discovery in China being around mid-November.

But that doesn't mean sh1t coming from me. What do I know?

I do know however that in the past I've discussed a long term continuous cold/flu-like symptom illness with an immunologist* and he said it's not going to be the same thing, but more simply, likely to be a string of things you pick up because you're not well enough to fight them off.

In healthier circumstances you wouldn't even know you'd encountered half of them at all.

*same chap who sorted meds for gout as it goes. Really knows his stuff.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 22:58]

Login to get fewer ads

Cured patients test positive again on 22:39 - Apr 11 with 1002 viewsmonytowbray

Cured patients test positive again on 22:30 - Apr 11 by jeera

I would guess/assume that your illness was unrelated to Covid as that really does seem too soon. First reported discovery in China being around mid-November.

But that doesn't mean sh1t coming from me. What do I know?

I do know however that in the past I've discussed a long term continuous cold/flu-like symptom illness with an immunologist* and he said it's not going to be the same thing, but more simply, likely to be a string of things you pick up because you're not well enough to fight them off.

In healthier circumstances you wouldn't even know you'd encountered half of them at all.

*same chap who sorted meds for gout as it goes. Really knows his stuff.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 22:58]

It was early/mid December it really hit me where it felt more like what they say COVID is now. But being London based, it’s also not to be ruled out I had it I guess. I must pass a few thousand people a day in average, and at least 50-100 of them would be in close enough range to pass anything on.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Cured patients test positive again on 08:44 - Apr 12 with 867 viewsMoriarty

Jeera and Callis, I wish you both well. If you get tested or have or had it, I hope you have a quick recovery.

I’d imagine a lot of people have had the virus who are not in the official numbers. 80 percent are mild to moderate symptoms.

fka omuircheartaigh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024