Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Panic buying 21:45 - Apr 11 with 4294 viewspeterleeblue

Are people still doing this?
Went to my local Sainsburys today and for the third week running. No pasta, tinned tomatoes and veg as well as flour.

If you are responsible and have a house full of this stuff would you kindly stop.
Thanks
Panic buying on 21:47 - Apr 11 with 2987 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Along with sunflower oil I don't think these were ever restocked.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Panic buying on 21:48 - Apr 11 with 2990 viewsSitfcB

Pasta went long before this even kicked off, not sure when we’ll see it again

Most of the supermarkets have stopped the ‘rationing’ of items.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Panic buying on 22:06 - Apr 11 with 2929 viewsJimmyJazz

Most items, including pasta and toilet paper can be found in Ipswich supermarkets now. It's been steadily improving over the past 2 weeks

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Panic buying on 22:08 - Apr 11 with 2919 viewsBloomBlue

I think we can all be sure there won't be any panic buying tomorrow in the big supermarkets
Panic buying on 22:15 - Apr 11 with 2903 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I have reliable information that the issue with flour is getting it bagged and shipped. The flour mills are still producing it but the break in the supply chain lies there. Apparently you can buy it in by the tonne no problem.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Panic buying on 22:42 - Apr 11 with 2852 viewsITFC_Forever

Sainsbury’s Warren Heath was generally fine yesterday, certainly much, much better than 2-3 weeks ago.

Had some pasta, most other stuff, including pasta and loo roll. Not every variety was back in stock, but they were there in several formats.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Panic buying on 23:27 - Apr 11 with 2765 viewsjeera

I haven't been to any for a while.

Are there still queues outside?

Someone told me that Tesco [Sudbury] had a queue running some way around the car park.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Panic buying on 23:32 - Apr 11 with 2760 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Panic buying on 22:42 - Apr 11 by ITFC_Forever

Sainsbury’s Warren Heath was generally fine yesterday, certainly much, much better than 2-3 weeks ago.

Had some pasta, most other stuff, including pasta and loo roll. Not every variety was back in stock, but they were there in several formats.

Was there about midday today. Queued for about ten minutes and found the shelves well stocked; everything I wanted including a choice of pastas.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Login to get fewer ads

Panic buying on 00:33 - Apr 12 with 2712 viewsstonojnr

Panic buying on 22:42 - Apr 11 by ITFC_Forever

depends which day/when you go I think, it was devoid of most frozen food, tinned goods, packaged sauces, fruit/vegetables, meat, bbq stuff etc etc even branston pickle!!!, but they had a stack of toilet roll on Wednesday

so no the idea people arent still panic buying I dont buy personally, unless the supermarket delivery/stock up process is just completely broken and cant cope, its been 6 weeks now of this, if the supermarkets claim (as they keep emailing me telling me they do)to have enough food why isnt it on the shelves as soon as they empty and yes they do have the staff proving all the 2m seperation stuff is pointless as they still park their refill trolley in the middle of the aisle, but its not oh I cant buy that specific 5% fat beef mince I like and theres only 10% beef mince or whatever brand left its the whole beef, turkey & pork mince section is completely emptied.

i think people are just strip mining the place every shop visit they make now, they arent buying what they need at all, they buy what they can get, and tag teaming it in couples, so they fill two trolleys, and no they arent being kind considerate and helping out for isolated neighbours.

pasta fwiw apparently most of our pasta is literally made in Italy still, but understandably theres not alot of it being exported at the moment.
Panic buying on 02:31 - Apr 12 with 2649 viewsmonytowbray

Panic buying on 00:33 - Apr 12 by stonojnr

depends which day/when you go I think, it was devoid of most frozen food, tinned goods, packaged sauces, fruit/vegetables, meat, bbq stuff etc etc even branston pickle!!!, but they had a stack of toilet roll on Wednesday

so no the idea people arent still panic buying I dont buy personally, unless the supermarket delivery/stock up process is just completely broken and cant cope, its been 6 weeks now of this, if the supermarkets claim (as they keep emailing me telling me they do)to have enough food why isnt it on the shelves as soon as they empty and yes they do have the staff proving all the 2m seperation stuff is pointless as they still park their refill trolley in the middle of the aisle, but its not oh I cant buy that specific 5% fat beef mince I like and theres only 10% beef mince or whatever brand left its the whole beef, turkey & pork mince section is completely emptied.

i think people are just strip mining the place every shop visit they make now, they arent buying what they need at all, they buy what they can get, and tag teaming it in couples, so they fill two trolleys, and no they arent being kind considerate and helping out for isolated neighbours.

pasta fwiw apparently most of our pasta is literally made in Italy still, but understandably theres not alot of it being exported at the moment.

The Co Op in my village wasn’t too bad today. There was more than I expected.

Fizzy was the one I saw the least of, can’t stop the Brits celebrating getting wasted on a Bank Holiday if you want something to be patriotic about.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 2:32]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Panic buying on 05:28 - Apr 12 with 2586 viewsGarv

Hopefully not (meaning probably) but there are still those shopping in couples and whole families, in most cases unnecessarily and simply adding to numbers.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Panic buying on 06:58 - Apr 12 with 2518 viewsLesta_Tractor

Sainsbury's in Melton Mowbray didn't have any flour or icing sugar on Wednesday evening...

I couldn't find any easter eggs either which is probaby a good thing.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Panic buying on 07:15 - Apr 12 with 2483 viewsNewcyBlue

Head up the A19 to Asda Boldon. Loads of Pasta mate and tinned goods.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Panic buying on 08:04 - Apr 12 with 2420 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Panic buying on 00:33 - Apr 12 by stonojnr

Odd, I shop at Sainsburys Warren Heath too and am with ITFC_Forever in that the last 5 or so times I’ve been I’ve been able to comfortably get everything I need other than the aforementioned flour which just seems to have disappeared for now

Granted not all items are the brand/exact version I would choose but everything is basically there again now

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Panic buying on 08:06 - Apr 12 with 2416 viewsNewcyBlue

Panic buying on 06:58 - Apr 12 by Lesta_Tractor

Sainsbury's in Melton Mowbray didn't have any flour or icing sugar on Wednesday evening...

I couldn't find any easter eggs either which is probaby a good thing.

When I head down to Ipswich I always stop off in Melton. Friend of mine lives there that I have sailed with.

Lovely little place.

Panic buying on 08:12 - Apr 12 with 2398 viewsflimflam

I keep away from major supermarkets and use Lidl, Aldi, Home Bargains.

All items have been in stock consistently and I laugh at the constant posts on my facebook from people asking where to get pasta, loo roll, tinned toms etc.

Its obviously beneath some people to be seen at such establishments.

Also not had to queue once.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 8:16]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Panic buying on 08:14 - Apr 12 with 2391 viewshype313

They all seem to be back to normal, however, there are a couple of factors to consider, everyone's shopping bill will have gone up with kids at home, also 60% of our food intake is serviced by the supermarkets, the other 40% is made up from eating out, costa, maccy d, pubs, restaurants, Nandos etc, so the supermarkets are having to take up that extra 40%, so it will be a few weeks before supply chains are working accordingly.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Panic buying on 08:25 - Apr 12 with 2354 viewsMullet

I’ve not been able to see flour anywhere since it kicked off which is annoying because I actually use quite a lot and make my own bread every so often anyway.

There was a story in the local news of a load of bins with mouldy food piled up about a week in, not sure if it was national or not, however there will be a massive wastage when people clear out cupboards of stuff they never touched.

Fresh veg has been the worst here, Asda had hardly anything when I went and what they did have went off even quicker than usual. The visits I have done to supermarkets have shown quite a nasty reality about some people unfortunately.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Panic buying on 08:29 - Apr 12 with 2345 viewsNewcyBlue

Panic buying on 08:25 - Apr 12 by Mullet

I’ve not been able to see flour anywhere since it kicked off which is annoying because I actually use quite a lot and make my own bread every so often anyway.

There was a story in the local news of a load of bins with mouldy food piled up about a week in, not sure if it was national or not, however there will be a massive wastage when people clear out cupboards of stuff they never touched.

Fresh veg has been the worst here, Asda had hardly anything when I went and what they did have went off even quicker than usual. The visits I have done to supermarkets have shown quite a nasty reality about some people unfortunately.

Yeah we make our own bread so usually have 2 small bags of bread flour in the house at any time.

We are now making less bread, and eating less bread, and just having a loaf every now and then.

Panic buying on 08:31 - Apr 12 with 2339 viewsflimflam

Panic buying on 08:25 - Apr 12 by Mullet

Head to Palmers bakery in Haughley. Bags of the stuff.

Also all the cornershops round here have had plenty of flour for weeks.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Panic buying on 08:34 - Apr 12 with 2319 viewsMullet

Panic buying on 08:31 - Apr 12 by flimflam

Head to Palmers bakery in Haughley. Bags of the stuff.

Also all the cornershops round here have had plenty of flour for weeks.

I’m not sure a 200 odd mile drive for bread will result in a good outcome but appreciate the tip. The baker, butcher, fishmonger here all work out of the market so that’s been all but shut down.

Panic buying on 08:37 - Apr 12 with 2312 viewsbrogansnose

Panic buying on 08:29 - Apr 12 by NewcyBlue

Yeah we make our own bread so usually have 2 small bags of bread flour in the house at any time.

We are now making less bread, and eating less bread, and just having a loaf every now and then.

My local supermarket sold out of flour at the start of all this and the dopey beggars forgot to buy yeast which was , at the time, in plentiful supply. My thoughts are that there's going to be a lot of flour going to waste, not in my house though, because I've got the furloughed boy baking bread every other day which he's enjoying making.

As an aside, who eats that much bloomin' pasta ?
Panic buying on 08:42 - Apr 12 with 2287 viewsMullet

Panic buying on 08:37 - Apr 12 by brogansnose

My local supermarket sold out of flour at the start of all this and the dopey beggars forgot to buy yeast which was , at the time, in plentiful supply. My thoughts are that there's going to be a lot of flour going to waste, not in my house though, because I've got the furloughed boy baking bread every other day which he's enjoying making.

As an aside, who eats that much bloomin' pasta ?

Italians

Panic buying on 08:50 - Apr 12 with 2266 viewsbrogansnose

Panic buying on 08:42 - Apr 12 by Mullet

Italians

I blame Jamie Oliver and that Gino Gennelli bloke who's mates with potty mouth Ramsey. Let them eat polenta I say, probably tonnes of the stuff going to end up in landfill.
Panic buying on 08:54 - Apr 12 with 2252 viewsMullet

Panic buying on 08:50 - Apr 12 by brogansnose

I blame Jamie Oliver and that Gino Gennelli bloke who's mates with potty mouth Ramsey. Let them eat polenta I say, probably tonnes of the stuff going to end up in landfill.

Now that is proper peasant food. Fresh pasta is one thing I still can't right at all. Was hoping to rectify that due to expecting pot noodles and dried pasta to go first. How foolish I feel now.

We have a lot of food banks up here, big sophisticated operations too and I dread to think how they are coping because of it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024