Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A great speech today by the Prime Minister 21:24 - Apr 12 with 2398 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Good evening ladies and gentlemen.

Surprised it doesn't seem to have been mentioned on here but Boris made a great speech today following his release from hospital. Its a great morale boost for the nation at this difficult time for everyone that he is recovering.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 21:30 - Apr 12 with 2365 viewsblustutu

I imagine those who’ve lost loved ones are massively cheered by it.
A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 21:34 - Apr 12 with 2341 viewspistonbroke

Like I said on a previous thread , hopefully now he will appreciate the work the nhs actually do and reflect it in their pay packets
A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 21:36 - Apr 12 with 2329 viewsWD19

Bloody hell. It must be a slow day if you still manage to get a bite with this.
A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 10:31 - Apr 13 with 2119 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I actually agree with you. He is a very good speaker at times (especially when it seems to come from the heart).

It will be very interesting to see how much these words are translated into actions after this is over.

Will he actually reward the NHS with better funding and nurses with a pay rise or simply claim that writing off the debt was massive funding?

Will he actually provide appropriate PPE and stockpile it ready for when it is next needed?

Will he actually apologise for the initial failings and shortcomings that put us in the position we are in or will he continue to use the phrase trotted out by those currently doing the briefings: "we are sorry some feel that way"?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 10:43 - Apr 13 with 2085 viewsMeadowlark

Russian bot innit.
A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 10:50 - Apr 13 with 2075 viewsmrshallisfit

God Bless and goodnight Gracie. Give my love to the old folks.
A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 11:14 - Apr 13 with 2036 viewsRyorry

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 10:31 - Apr 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

I actually agree with you. He is a very good speaker at times (especially when it seems to come from the heart).

It will be very interesting to see how much these words are translated into actions after this is over.

Will he actually reward the NHS with better funding and nurses with a pay rise or simply claim that writing off the debt was massive funding?

Will he actually provide appropriate PPE and stockpile it ready for when it is next needed?

Will he actually apologise for the initial failings and shortcomings that put us in the position we are in or will he continue to use the phrase trotted out by those currently doing the briefings: "we are sorry some feel that way"?

Disagree with your first para because of your second, third, fourth & fifth paras - his words rang hollow to me because of his previous actions and inactions.

"Fine words butter no parsnips" etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 11:23 - Apr 13 with 2012 viewsWD19

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 11:14 - Apr 13 by Ryorry

Disagree with your first para because of your second, third, fourth & fifth paras - his words rang hollow to me because of his previous actions and inactions.

"Fine words butter no parsnips" etc.

Only in modern Britain can waiving a debt not be considered ‘real’ money.
Login to get fewer ads

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 11:27 - Apr 13 with 1994 viewsLord_Lucan

How dare you, don't you know Boris is the Antichrist.

If he developed a vaccine in his bedroom many people on here would actually be upset about it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 12:09 - Apr 13 with 1948 viewsnoggin

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 11:23 - Apr 13 by WD19

How can a national health service be in debt? Surely that just means it's been underfunded?
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 12:22]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 12:12 - Apr 13 with 1922 viewsHerbivore

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 10:31 - Apr 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

He's an utterly awful speaker. It's all bumbling nonsense and platitudes.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 12:22 - Apr 13 with 1898 viewsmonytowbray

Imagine still falling for this account.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 12:37 - Apr 13 with 1830 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 11:23 - Apr 13 by WD19

How much does it actually cost the Government to clear the debt?

What rate of interest is the Government charging on the interest?

Doesn't the fact there is an answer to the second question help answer the first?

Either it is a paper exercise or a real cost. If it is the latter, the benefit to the Government is from interest charged on it. How can that be a proper way to run a public service?

The money has already been paid to them.

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 12:55 - Apr 13 with 1798 viewsWD19

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 12:37 - Apr 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

How much does it actually cost the Government to clear the debt?

What rate of interest is the Government charging on the interest?

Doesn't the fact there is an answer to the second question help answer the first?

Either it is a paper exercise or a real cost. If it is the latter, the benefit to the Government is from interest charged on it. How can that be a proper way to run a public service?

The money has already been paid to them.

To call it a paper exercise is to say lending someone money should really be considered a gift for which repayment should not be an expectation.....or at best you should consider yourself lucky if you ever get your money back.

I have a real issue with this and with the whole concept of debt more widely. OK, so I have been fortunate in that I have largely avoided being in debt throughout my life....but that hasn’t come without massive sacrifices. The only debt I ever had (Mortgage) caused me mental health challenges and I wasn’t ever happy until I cleared it.....which I did as fast as I could through very significant (and irrational by modern societal standards) self-sacrifice.
A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 12:59 - Apr 13 with 1791 viewsnoggin

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 12:55 - Apr 13 by WD19

To call it a paper exercise is to say lending someone money should really be considered a gift for which repayment should not be an expectation.....or at best you should consider yourself lucky if you ever get your money back.

I have a real issue with this and with the whole concept of debt more widely. OK, so I have been fortunate in that I have largely avoided being in debt throughout my life....but that hasn’t come without massive sacrifices. The only debt I ever had (Mortgage) caused me mental health challenges and I wasn’t ever happy until I cleared it.....which I did as fast as I could through very significant (and irrational by modern societal standards) self-sacrifice.

How would the NHS repay a debt to the government?

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 13:04 - Apr 13 with 1773 viewsWD19

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 12:59 - Apr 13 by noggin

How would the NHS repay a debt to the government?

The same way anyone or anything would repay a debt to anyone else. By setting aside a portion of available funds to pay back what had been borrowed.
A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 13:04 - Apr 13 with 1769 viewsPlums

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 13:04 - Apr 13 by WD19

The same way anyone or anything would repay a debt to anyone else. By setting aside a portion of available funds to pay back what had been borrowed.

Hahaha - as though that’s how public services work
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 13:06]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 13:10 - Apr 13 with 1743 viewsnoggin

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 13:04 - Apr 13 by WD19

Funds made available by the government for healthcare?

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 14:12 - Apr 13 with 1671 viewsLord_Lucan

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 13:10 - Apr 13 by noggin

Funds made available by the government for healthcare?

PPE aside I think most people acknowledge there is a big problem with both procurement and the level of managers within the NHS

See also the army.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 14:28 - Apr 13 with 1637 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A great speech today by the Prime Minister on 12:55 - Apr 13 by WD19

So you are saying the NHS debt is equivalent to a personal or business one?

When would the Government be expecting them to pay it back? What is the collateral against which it is held? How will the Government be perceived when it calls the debt in and forces the NHS into administration?

It clearly is not the same sort of thing and was never expected to be paid back. What would be entailed in paying it back? An increase in Government funding in order for the debt to be paid back out of that funding.

Most other debts are paid back as well as the interest as time goes on.

I am no economist so I may well have it wrong but something does not sit well for me with public services having a debt to the Government. In my mind, it would be rather like my wife owing me money and only having an income from me that is determined entirely by me.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024