Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone else remember David Webb in goal 08:45 - Apr 13 with 1715 viewsdaisyisabaddog

News of the sad death of Peter Bonetti reminded me of a game against Chelsea during the Christmas period in 1971. For some reason Bonneti didn't get to the game and centre half David Webb kept a clean sheet playing in goal. We played them away the following March and Webb stood in at centre forward and scored 2 goals.

I know it makes me sound like an old git but that definitely wouldn't happen in the modern game
Does anyone else remember David Webb in goal on 09:01 - Apr 13 with 1687 viewsBerkshire_Blue

Bonetti was injured, Tom Phillips hurt himself in the warm up and Steve Sherwood, third choice keeper, , third choice, couldn’t get to the ground in time. Not sure what happened at PR but Webb scored 2.
Does anyone else remember David Webb in goal on 10:07 - Apr 13 with 1647 viewsRadlett_blue

Does anyone else remember David Webb in goal on 09:01 - Apr 13 by Berkshire_Blue

Bonetti was injured, Tom Phillips hurt himself in the warm up and Steve Sherwood, third choice keeper, , third choice, couldn’t get to the ground in time. Not sure what happened at PR but Webb scored 2.

I was at the return at PR & Webb started up front for Chelsea, for whom he had played a few times as an emergency striker. He certainly wasn't the most skilful of strikers, but he put himself about & nearly managed a hat trick. Colin Viljoen replied for us with a penalty.
Webb did score a hat trick in a 3-1 Chelsea win at PR on Boxing Day 1968 - before my time but does anyone recall if he played in defence that day?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Does anyone else remember David Webb in goal on 10:34 - Apr 13 with 1636 viewsPJH

Does anyone else remember David Webb in goal on 10:07 - Apr 13 by Radlett_blue

I was at the return at PR & Webb started up front for Chelsea, for whom he had played a few times as an emergency striker. He certainly wasn't the most skilful of strikers, but he put himself about & nearly managed a hat trick. Colin Viljoen replied for us with a penalty.
Webb did score a hat trick in a 3-1 Chelsea win at PR on Boxing Day 1968 - before my time but does anyone recall if he played in defence that day?

I was at both games and it was embarrassing that a team could play against us for 90 minutes without a recognised goalkeeper and still keep a clean sheet.

Our team at Stamford Bridge was not all that bad on paper-we had Jimmy Robertson and Johnny Miller out wide and Mick Hill and Rod Belfitt as strikers.

In answer to your question I have found the Chelsea team from that 1968 game and it looks like he lined up in defence with Ron Harris-I was at the game at PR but Chelsea had a full set of forwards playing so it seems Webb was at centre half rather than upfront.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 10:38]
Does anyone else remember David Webb in goal on 13:13 - Apr 13 with 1577 viewsdaisyisabaddog

Does anyone else remember David Webb in goal on 10:34 - Apr 13 by PJH

I was at both games and it was embarrassing that a team could play against us for 90 minutes without a recognised goalkeeper and still keep a clean sheet.

Our team at Stamford Bridge was not all that bad on paper-we had Jimmy Robertson and Johnny Miller out wide and Mick Hill and Rod Belfitt as strikers.

In answer to your question I have found the Chelsea team from that 1968 game and it looks like he lined up in defence with Ron Harris-I was at the game at PR but Chelsea had a full set of forwards playing so it seems Webb was at centre half rather than upfront.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 10:38]

I was only 12 at the time but my recollection is that he was quite comfortable in goal. He was certainly a very good all round footballer.
Does anyone else remember David Webb in goal on 15:24 - Apr 13 with 1531 viewsPJH

Does anyone else remember David Webb in goal on 13:13 - Apr 13 by daisyisabaddog

I was only 12 at the time but my recollection is that he was quite comfortable in goal. He was certainly a very good all round footballer.

I don't remember him having to do anything spectacular in goal that day.

As I remember it he was comfortable but mostly because we did not do anything to make him uncomfortable.

Probably a lot of outfield players are/were competent in goal but unlikely to be competent enough to keep a clean sheet for 90 minutes in a top division game if put under much pressure.

He was a central defender or sometimes fullback that was a threat going forward especially in dead ball situations.
Does anyone else remember David Webb in goal on 18:33 - May 11 with 1337 viewsKilburnBlue

Just seen this on Twitter & remembered this thread

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024