Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coronavirus Germany and low death toll 10:57 - Apr 13 with 1605 viewsellerblue

I read on here that Germanys low death rate is due to testing, but in my mind there are also other factors to be taken into account. I live in Düsseldorf and have been following the Robert Koch Institute, which is the german equivilant of uk public health office. I think the demographics of Germany have also contributed to low death rates,We have 83 million population, the biggest mass urbinization is Berlin 3 million followed by Hamburg 1.6 million, so no realy big cities compared to London etc., 65% of germanys population is between 15-59 years of age, and this age group has contributed to 74% of all cases, but obviosly this age group is more resilient as only having a 10% death rate whereas 22% of population is over 65 years oid they have contributed to 86% of total deaths, so my opinion is that as we have a low age average (46) as opposed to Italy(63) we have less mortality rate. This is just my thoughts for what there worth anyway stay safe and remember a space could save a life.

Heinsberg Blue

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:04 - Apr 13 with 1559 viewsPinewoodblue

If testing were the only valid measurement the number of deaths in Italy would not be greater than the figure for Germany as Italy has tested a greater proportion of the populous.

Only in-depth analysis will fully explain the differences between countries and that will take a long time.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:08 - Apr 13 with 1531 viewsRadlett_blue

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:04 - Apr 13 by Pinewoodblue

If testing were the only valid measurement the number of deaths in Italy would not be greater than the figure for Germany as Italy has tested a greater proportion of the populous.

Only in-depth analysis will fully explain the differences between countries and that will take a long time.

Absolutely, every country has different characteristics, especially population density, while comparing figures where the data collection is very different is massively flawed.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:09 - Apr 13 with 1528 viewsellerblue

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:04 - Apr 13 by Pinewoodblue

sorry i should have said that testing could not be the only reason.

Heinsberg Blue

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:13 - Apr 13 with 1517 viewsGuthrum

There will also be oddities in disease outbreaks. For example, areas of what is now Poland was relatively unaffected by the Black Death epidemic of the late 1340s, which devastated virtually the whole of the rest of Europe and southern Scandinavia.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:13 - Apr 13 with 1508 viewsLord_Lucan

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:08 - Apr 13 by Radlett_blue

Absolutely, every country has different characteristics, especially population density, while comparing figures where the data collection is very different is massively flawed.

This isn't definite info but I would imagine that countries also have different ways of reporting figures.

I seem to remember France had some very impressive CJD figures, they buried the cows before they were tested.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:31 - Apr 13 with 1443 viewsgordon

I'd be a bit cautious about making too many inferences from demographic data, and I don't think your numbers comparing Germany and Italy are correct - median age in 2015 was 45.9 in Germany and 45.4 in Italy.

The age range or average age of populations may explain some difference between rates of infections between e.g. African countries where average age is very low, and Western Europe / North America where average age is much higher, but I'd think it very unlikely to explain differences between Western European countries with very similar demographics.

Similarly, population density has been thrown up a few times on here but again it's very unlikely to explain variation except at extremes. And anyway, population density is higher in Germany than in France, Spain or Italy.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 11:33]
Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 12:18 - Apr 13 with 1382 viewsellerblue

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:31 - Apr 13 by gordon

I'd be a bit cautious about making too many inferences from demographic data, and I don't think your numbers comparing Germany and Italy are correct - median age in 2015 was 45.9 in Germany and 45.4 in Italy.

The age range or average age of populations may explain some difference between rates of infections between e.g. African countries where average age is very low, and Western Europe / North America where average age is much higher, but I'd think it very unlikely to explain differences between Western European countries with very similar demographics.

Similarly, population density has been thrown up a few times on here but again it's very unlikely to explain variation except at extremes. And anyway, population density is higher in Germany than in France, Spain or Italy.

The figures i qouted for Germany and Italy were the average age of those contracting coronavirus not the median age

Heinsberg Blue

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 12:40 - Apr 13 with 1342 viewsPinewoodblue

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:31 - Apr 13 by gordon

Density is relevant but possibly the reason for density makes a difference.

Slightly off topic( looking at US instead of Europe) mention has been made to the higher, per capita, death rate amongst non-whites in New York. Statistically true, but they maybe living in districts with a higher density. Going one step further it may just be it is a poorer district, higher percentage of population without full access to medical care.

We just don’t know and won’t until a full study is undertaken. Even then the truth may be hidden from us.

2023 year of destiny

Login to get fewer ads

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 12:57 - Apr 13 with 1308 viewsNthQldITFC

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:08 - Apr 13 by Radlett_blue

This can't be emphasized enough, particularly when the general public might jump to erroneous conclusions from very rough data, and for example, start agitating for relaxing of pertinent containment measures. Not saying the OP or any sensible person would be doing so in this country at the moment, but I'm not sure about elsewhere.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 14:37 - Apr 13 with 1239 viewsBlueBadger

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 11:13 - Apr 13 by Guthrum

There will also be oddities in disease outbreaks. For example, areas of what is now Poland was relatively unaffected by the Black Death epidemic of the late 1340s, which devastated virtually the whole of the rest of Europe and southern Scandinavia.

We're probably a bit of an anomaly here in East Anglia at the moment as well. Every weekend I've worked for the last 3 weeks I've heard or have said myself) 'The sh1t is is probably going to hit this fan next weekend'.

I'm idly wondering if it's similar in places like Cornwall and the Western Isles.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 15:03]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 16:38 - Apr 13 with 1140 viewsPinewoodblue

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 14:37 - Apr 13 by BlueBadger

We're probably a bit of an anomaly here in East Anglia at the moment as well. Every weekend I've worked for the last 3 weeks I've heard or have said myself) 'The sh1t is is probably going to hit this fan next weekend'.

I'm idly wondering if it's similar in places like Cornwall and the Western Isles.

Think there is enough sh1t already hitting the fan but it is going to get a lot worse.

Edit deleted comment about differences between Ipswich and Colchester hospitals as seem I was wrong. Figures I looked at Saturday suggested Colchester death rate was much higher but latest EADT figures suggest they are similar. Journos quietly correct previous errors.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 16:44]

2023 year of destiny

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 19:20 - Apr 13 with 1042 viewsflimflam

Are Germany specifically testing for covid-19 or just generic corona?

Its makes a difference as there are 7 corona viruses 4 of which are common colds.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 19:22 - Apr 13 with 1038 viewsflimflam

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 14:37 - Apr 13 by BlueBadger

I know a nurse in BSE and said they are fully stocked on safety equipment but are not having much to do after shutting most wards and diverting resource to dedicated wards for this pandemic. Maybe Suffolk will get of lighter than other denser populated counties.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 19:24]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Coronavirus Germany and low death toll on 19:43 - Apr 13 with 1003 viewsBloomBlue

The trouble is the way some people talk about testing you would think it's a cure. But Germany is something everyone needs to look at in terms of why the low death rate, but it could be many things. Age will be one consideration, I think Italy and the UK have the highest % of over 65's. Volume of people in built up areas, as you say Germany has a spread population. Also look at the deaths in the UK and the disproportionate deaths of ethnic minorities, is that a factor? I did also see on the BBC at the weekend that a high % of those who have died in the UK are above the recommended BMI score, the UK has the heighest number of overweight people of any Country in Europe, is weight a factor? I don't think we'll know the answer for some time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024