Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cyclists please read and advise. 11:33 - Apr 15 with 3978 viewshampstead_blue

I'm looking at a hybrid/gravel/cyclo-cross bike.

Loads of tracks round here and an amazing forest.
No need for wet weather mud plugger, am not into that.

Want something that will take a gently rugged trail and still be fairly quick on the road.

Am liking this; https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=35837&Item=%27M

but also this;

https://whyte.bike/products/ridgeway

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g1-tiagra-gravel-bike-2020-147541.html

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/genesis-cda-10-gravel-bike-2020-2011090/

Would prefer to get last years bike at a discount but don't want to spend more than £700 - well, Mrs H won't allow it!

Objective; Few long roides around bridle paths, forest tracks, shops. Nothing epically long, maybe two hours tops.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:38 - Apr 15 with 3110 viewsPlums

I have a 2010 Kona Jake and it’s been great. I did a 70 mile sportive on it as well as used it for commuting for two years and other rides. Not sure what their current range is like but I have been so impressed my son now rides a Kona mountain bike.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:42 - Apr 15 with 3094 viewsStokieBlue

I've got this and I love it and it's perfect for doing what you describe:

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-adv-8-8-sora-mens-gravel-bike-2020.html

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:43 - Apr 15 with 3088 viewsChiefXL

The Merlin is better spec'd than the others (Tiagra groupset and carbon fork) so I would suggest that
Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:45 - Apr 15 with 3079 viewsWeekender

I have a Genesis Croix De Fer and it does a great job.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:48 - Apr 15 with 3071 viewshampstead_blue

Wow and many thanks.

I know nothing about the tech so feel rather naked. Am very new and don't want to make an expensive error.

Love, peace, and good health to you all.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:50 - Apr 15 with 3074 viewsgordon

The correct answer is a Temple Cycles Adventure Gravel Bike in Lichen Green. Hunt wheels and a Brooks saddle.

https://www.templecycles.co.uk/products/adventure-disc-copy?variant=294544702178

Worth thinking whether you want disc or rim brakes - rim brakes less good in the rain, but much easier to fix yourself.
Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:52 - Apr 15 with 3057 viewshampstead_blue

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:50 - Apr 15 by gordon

The correct answer is a Temple Cycles Adventure Gravel Bike in Lichen Green. Hunt wheels and a Brooks saddle.

https://www.templecycles.co.uk/products/adventure-disc-copy?variant=294544702178

Worth thinking whether you want disc or rim brakes - rim brakes less good in the rain, but much easier to fix yourself.

looks lovely but Mrs H would run me through with a barbed wire brush!

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:53 - Apr 15 with 3055 viewsgordon

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:45 - Apr 15 by Weekender

I've got a Genesis Equilibrium, and I love it, fits 28c Schwalbe Marathon tyres so is robust on bumpy gravel tracks, although I do quite fancy a Croix De Fer or that Temple cycles one.
Login to get fewer ads

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:55 - Apr 15 with 3052 viewsgiant_stow

Now that I'm an expert cyclist, I can help. Buy yourself something like this:

https://imgur.com/nb1obpu

This little beauty is state of the art hybrid thingy, cost fck all and goes like a train over anything.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:57 - Apr 15 with 3045 viewsgordon

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:52 - Apr 15 by hampstead_blue

looks lovely but Mrs H would run me through with a barbed wire brush!

Can't you just say you got an ex-showroom model at half-price or something. You may need to siphon off small amounts on a regular basis from your shared bank account over a few months, then hey presto you've got the extra wad to make up the difference.

If all else fails just say that anything under a grand is basically made of rhubarb sticks, so do you want me to have to spend £700 every year on one of these things?

And also, you'll need a bike made in the UK being a patriot, which means you're looking at a Temple or a Shand (there may be others!), and the Temple is much more stylish than the equivalent from Shand.

https://www.shandcycles.com/shop/bikes/stoater
[Post edited 15 Apr 2020 12:01]
Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:59 - Apr 15 with 3046 viewsElephantintheRoom

entirely depends on your budget and how adept you are at fixing punctures. Most of the 'gravel bikes' are little more than the sturdy non-suspension 'mountain bikes' that were in vogue 30 years ago.

If you are not exactly an afficianado of struggling in unflattering lycra you might want to consider an electric gravel bike that you can tap into on occasional hills. If you are serious about two hour trips... thats around 30 miles of cycling.... which suggests a decent bike would pay dividends

Other considerations would be a decent set of gloves to avoid hand pain - and some decent pants to avoid numbness in the nether regions.... both of which might be more important than the choice of bike.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:00 - Apr 15 with 3041 viewsChiefXL

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:50 - Apr 15 by gordon

That really is quite beautiful
Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:03 - Apr 15 with 3030 viewsgordon

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:00 - Apr 15 by ChiefXL

It's really something
Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:04 - Apr 15 with 3026 viewsgiant_stow

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:00 - Apr 15 by ChiefXL

S'alright, but nothing on my mean machine.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:07 - Apr 15 with 3023 viewsgordon

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:59 - Apr 15 by ElephantintheRoom

entirely depends on your budget and how adept you are at fixing punctures. Most of the 'gravel bikes' are little more than the sturdy non-suspension 'mountain bikes' that were in vogue 30 years ago.

If you are not exactly an afficianado of struggling in unflattering lycra you might want to consider an electric gravel bike that you can tap into on occasional hills. If you are serious about two hour trips... thats around 30 miles of cycling.... which suggests a decent bike would pay dividends

Other considerations would be a decent set of gloves to avoid hand pain - and some decent pants to avoid numbness in the nether regions.... both of which might be more important than the choice of bike.

With a proper Brooks saddle all issues around numbness/chafing etc. go away. It's the awful saddles they usually put on bikes out of the shop that cause all the issues, people don't realise that they are normally rubbish and you are expected to replace them straight away with something decent.
Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:07 - Apr 15 with 3020 viewsgordon

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:04 - Apr 15 by giant_stow

S'alright, but nothing on my mean machine.

Which is what
Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:11 - Apr 15 with 3004 viewsSarge

You shouldn’t be getting a bike because you shouldn’t be cycling. It’s not allowed, you should be outside for 15 minutes to stretch your legs before retreating inside to subsist on a diet of thin porridge and celery. The remaining time may be spent in a brace position, clutching your ankles under a table or doorway and waiting for this all to blow over. Do not disobey. Curtain twitchers have predialled 99 and will not hesitate to hit 9 again should you attempt to extend this outdoor period or make it in any way enjoyable.

(Posted in case r2d2 is busy today)
Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:11 - Apr 15 with 3001 viewsgiant_stow

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:07 - Apr 15 by gordon

Which is what

My £100 pride and joy: https://imgur.com/nb1obpu

Edit: it even says its called a trailblazer - WOOF!
[Post edited 15 Apr 2020 12:12]

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:13 - Apr 15 with 2984 viewsgordon

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:11 - Apr 15 by giant_stow

My £100 pride and joy: https://imgur.com/nb1obpu

Edit: it even says its called a trailblazer - WOOF!
[Post edited 15 Apr 2020 12:12]

That is really nice
Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:14 - Apr 15 with 2980 viewsgiant_stow

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:13 - Apr 15 by gordon

That is really nice

Cheers mr - try not to be jealous - yours is lovely too.

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:18 - Apr 15 with 2968 viewsNthQldITFC

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:45 - Apr 15 by Weekender

I presume it's the Croix with the drop bars. I tried one of those out and preferred it to Al bikes like Topstone, but was also wondering about the flat bar version. Anyone tried that?

I'm saving up for a Ribble CGR Ti now I think.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-ti-shimano-105
I've just cum
bersomely made a link, but it doesn't work.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2020 12:29]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:20 - Apr 15 with 2965 viewshampstead_blue

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:11 - Apr 15 by Sarge

You shouldn’t be getting a bike because you shouldn’t be cycling. It’s not allowed, you should be outside for 15 minutes to stretch your legs before retreating inside to subsist on a diet of thin porridge and celery. The remaining time may be spent in a brace position, clutching your ankles under a table or doorway and waiting for this all to blow over. Do not disobey. Curtain twitchers have predialled 99 and will not hesitate to hit 9 again should you attempt to extend this outdoor period or make it in any way enjoyable.

(Posted in case r2d2 is busy today)

Of course. sorry Sarge.

I will retreat to my hole and await your instructions.

Cyclists please read and advise. on 12:23 - Apr 15 with 2959 viewshampstead_blue

Cyclists please read and advise. on 11:59 - Apr 15 by ElephantintheRoom

I am most certainly not getting into lycra. Ron hills is my thing.....

Have to confess that I won't be riding in the cold, windy, wet, autumns and winter. My old screws would get cold and seize up......

Just do enough to keep me ticking over.

Cyclists please read and advise. on 13:30 - Apr 15 with 2880 viewsWestover

I'm thinking of getting an electric bike for gravel tracks and road use anyone got one and any suggestions?
Cyclists please read and advise. on 13:40 - Apr 15 with 2867 viewsAndrew4445

I have a Norco cross bike and love it.

If you don't want to spend too much go for a good aluminium frame but with better components.

Evans cycles have a clearance section where they sell of ex-display bikes at big discounts. https://www.evanscycles.com/clearance

It is a lot of money but the more you spend now the less you will want to change if you do get into it. I am in my third year back on the bike and I can quite happily do a 50 miler on a Saturday morning.
If you can go for hydraulic disks, they are worth the extra.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024