Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just had the depressing realisation... 22:35 - Apr 17 with 1297 viewsmonytowbray

...in this evening’s virtual pub that with no football likely to be played until 2021 if we’re lucky, no TV money and crowds, whilst club owners see the likelihood of a big financial hit, we’re going to be hitting some big casualties soon in football and no one is safe from top to bottom of the pyramid. Including us.

Finishing the season is well past the biggest concern. Now it’s the survival of the very game itself and 100s of clubs that will be unable to keep the lights on soon.

There’s no way, and rightly so, the leagues can be diverting money to keep a game afloat. If I were a non-football fan I‘d be disgusted. Hell, I would have a battle of conscience myself: NHS or ITFC, and it would have to be the NHS all day long, but f*ck making a choice like that would hurt.

What are the options though at this point? What can possibly be done?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Just had the depressing realisation... on 23:43 - Apr 17 with 1216 viewslinhdi

Of all the people on twtd, you are best placed to set out the arguments and judgments on this kind of issue. Society v football? Society wins, of course.

Living without live football? Yeah, ok.
Living without seeing all my football friends? That's a lot harder.
Just had the depressing realisation... on 00:32 - Apr 18 with 1182 viewsmonytowbray

Just had the depressing realisation... on 23:43 - Apr 17 by linhdi

Of all the people on twtd, you are best placed to set out the arguments and judgments on this kind of issue. Society v football? Society wins, of course.

Living without live football? Yeah, ok.
Living without seeing all my football friends? That's a lot harder.

Yeah, I imagine we’d all kinda suck whatever’s left into Ipswich Wanderers or go PFTF with a new club?

These concerns are me having a moment, right? We wouldn’t really lose ITFC would we?!

TWTD never forgets…

Just had the depressing realisation... on 00:39 - Apr 18 with 1174 viewsGuthrum

Just had the depressing realisation... on 00:32 - Apr 18 by monytowbray

Yeah, I imagine we’d all kinda suck whatever’s left into Ipswich Wanderers or go PFTF with a new club?

These concerns are me having a moment, right? We wouldn’t really lose ITFC would we?!

If lots are going at once, there would have to be some sort of way of at least carrying on the legacy of clubs, so ITFC still exists as a concept, with history and honours intact. Everybody cannot all drop down to the the National League and below at once, they need teams to populate the EFL, if it is to carry on.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Just had the depressing realisation... on 00:48 - Apr 18 with 1168 viewsBlueBadger

Just had the depressing realisation... on 00:39 - Apr 18 by Guthrum

If lots are going at once, there would have to be some sort of way of at least carrying on the legacy of clubs, so ITFC still exists as a concept, with history and honours intact. Everybody cannot all drop down to the the National League and below at once, they need teams to populate the EFL, if it is to carry on.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of bottom two FL divisions basically go semi-pro after all this. At the very least, the finances of football will need a long hard look.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Just had the depressing realisation... on 06:37 - Apr 18 with 1081 viewsTractorWood

Hence why it's so important to get this sorted and get the economy and world up and running again.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Just had the depressing realisation... on 07:37 - Apr 18 with 1034 viewsmonytowbray

Just had the depressing realisation... on 06:37 - Apr 18 by TractorWood

Hence why it's so important to get this sorted and get the economy and world up and running again.

That ain’t gonna be enough, 2021 is a long way off.

TWTD never forgets…

Just had the depressing realisation... on 07:39 - Apr 18 with 1029 viewsHerbivore

Just had the depressing realisation... on 07:37 - Apr 18 by monytowbray

That ain’t gonna be enough, 2021 is a long way off.

There will be football before 2021.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Just had the depressing realisation... on 07:47 - Apr 18 with 1024 viewsmonytowbray

Just had the depressing realisation... on 07:39 - Apr 18 by Herbivore

There will be football before 2021.

Doubtful.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Just had the depressing realisation... on 08:06 - Apr 18 with 991 viewsHerbivore

Just had the depressing realisation... on 07:47 - Apr 18 by monytowbray

Doubtful.

Why? Some leagues in Europe are already taking tentative steps towards restarting in 6-8 weeks time. That doesn't suggest to me there will be no football for another 9 months. I doubt we'll see crowds at games for some time yet, but football will restart in the coming months I suspect. I don't really see anything to suggest otherwise.

Just had the depressing realisation... on 08:08 - Apr 18 with 985 viewsmonytowbray

Just had the depressing realisation... on 08:06 - Apr 18 by Herbivore

Why? Some leagues in Europe are already taking tentative steps towards restarting in 6-8 weeks time. That doesn't suggest to me there will be no football for another 9 months. I doubt we'll see crowds at games for some time yet, but football will restart in the coming months I suspect. I don't really see anything to suggest otherwise.

Closed door games won’t be enough though. This is beyond finishing off the season.

TWTD never forgets…

Just had the depressing realisation... on 08:11 - Apr 18 with 978 viewsGlasgowBlue

Just had the depressing realisation... on 08:08 - Apr 18 by monytowbray

Closed door games won’t be enough though. This is beyond finishing off the season.

So there will be football before 2021?

Clubs can sell live streams to raise some revenue.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Just had the depressing realisation... on 08:12 - Apr 18 with 979 viewsCoastalblue

You have to feel for players at lower league clubs who will be out of contract in a week or two, unlikely to have ever earned a lot of money and will have little chance of earning a new deal elsewhere for some time.

I don't wish ill on any individual club but collectively I'd love to see the football bubble burst.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Just had the depressing realisation... on 09:11 - Apr 18 with 909 viewsHerbivore

That's a different argument. You said we're unlikely to see any football before 2021 and I don't see any basis for that claim when plans are being made to resume the season in the next couple of months in several countries. There are tentative plans in England even to restart the season in late May or early June. Whether clubs can survive without ticket money is a different argument, however rules have already been changed to allow 3pm Saturday games to be televised and that opens the door for all games to be shown via iFollow. That will bring in some revenue at least.

Just had the depressing realisation... on 09:32 - Apr 18 with 886 viewsGuthrum

Not just that, but the first time there is a case where one or more of a matchday squad/staff test positive, other teams will refuse (quite rightly) to play them and the whole thing is derailed.

Having seven days quarantine between each match is not going to get the season finished quick.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 9:39]

Just had the depressing realisation... on 09:47 - Apr 18 with 865 viewsGuthrum

Just had the depressing realisation... on 00:48 - Apr 18 by BlueBadger

I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of bottom two FL divisions basically go semi-pro after all this. At the very least, the finances of football will need a long hard look.

Indeed. But in that case the clubs would still carry on. Unlike if they were formally wound up, in which case they lose the right to refer to their former history and honours, being legally completely new clubs*.

* Altho Rangers ignored this technicality and pretend there is continuity.

Just had the depressing realisation... on 09:55 - Apr 18 with 854 viewsfabian_illness

Even behind closed doors games could be awkward.
Indirect free kick for any player going within 2m of another?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024