Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An interesting article in the Guardian... 13:51 - Apr 18 with 1350 viewsBluesquid

A recent study from Stamford University, not peer reviewed yet but interesting nonetheless.

"A new study in California has found the number of people infected with coronavirus may be tens of times higher than previously thought."

"The study from Stanford University, which was released Friday and has yet to be peer reviewed, tested samples from 3,330 people in Santa Clara county and found the virus was 50 to 85 times more common than official figures indicated."

"That also means coronavirus is potentially much less deadly to the overall population than initially thought. As of Tuesday, the US’s coronavirus death rate was 4.1% and Stanford researchers said their findings show a death rate of just 0.12% to 0.2%."

"The study has been interpreted by some to mean we are closer to herd immunity — the concept that if enough people in a population have developed antibodies to a disease that population becomes immune — than expected. This would allow some to more quickly get back to work, a strategy currently being deployed in Sweden. But researchers behind the study said not to jump to conclusions or make policy choices until more research has been done."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/antibody-study-suggests-coronaviru
An interesting article in the Guardian... on 14:12 - Apr 18 with 1277 viewsSteve_M

It's not randomised apparently, participants were self-selecting, so it doesn't look as though it stands up.

There's a Twitter thread here which debates the claimed strength of the correlation:

And also this:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

An interesting article in the Guardian... on 14:19 - Apr 18 with 1256 viewsStokieBlue

Further to Steve's points it totally contradicts a similar study done in Germany which I posted on here previously and I believe was peer reviewed.

So at the moment we really don't know.

It does look suspiciously like another attempt by you to downplay the virus, especially around mortality, given the comments posted after Steve's linked tweets.

People are dying regardless of the mortality. It's a big deal.

SB
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 14:22]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

An interesting article in the Guardian... on 14:39 - Apr 18 with 1223 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I have a feeling that Trump is about to ensure you will get to see what happens when you ignore the lockdown option and rely on herd immunity. We could see devastating effects on the US population. Perhaps you will be satisfied with that.

Alternatively we could see only 100,000 or so deaths among them and you will be able to come back and say: I told you so, our approach was no better.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

An interesting article in the Guardian... on 16:43 - Apr 18 with 1151 viewsBluesquid

An interesting article in the Guardian... on 14:19 - Apr 18 by StokieBlue

Further to Steve's points it totally contradicts a similar study done in Germany which I posted on here previously and I believe was peer reviewed.

So at the moment we really don't know.

It does look suspiciously like another attempt by you to downplay the virus, especially around mortality, given the comments posted after Steve's linked tweets.

People are dying regardless of the mortality. It's a big deal.

SB
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 14:22]

"It does look suspiciously like another attempt by you to downplay the virus"

Stand down Officer Dibble.
An interesting article in the Guardian... on 18:27 - Apr 18 with 1095 viewsGuthrum

Interesting conversation I had earlier with someone about these studies.

He suggested that some of them were being funded by certain sections of the investor community, in order to generate some "good news" for the markets - a high rate of (mild/asymptomatic) infection would imply a vastly lower death rate, plus widespread immunity among the population, thus we can all get back to work.

Apparently the Koch brothers have been putting a lot of money into research lately.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

An interesting article in the Guardian... on 19:03 - Apr 18 with 1071 viewsBluesquid

An interesting article in the Guardian... on 18:27 - Apr 18 by Guthrum

Interesting conversation I had earlier with someone about these studies.

He suggested that some of them were being funded by certain sections of the investor community, in order to generate some "good news" for the markets - a high rate of (mild/asymptomatic) infection would imply a vastly lower death rate, plus widespread immunity among the population, thus we can all get back to work.

Apparently the Koch brothers have been putting a lot of money into research lately.

Yes it's possible but then the same goes for The Imperial College London that has actually received funding to the tune of millions from The Bill Gates Foundation.
An interesting article in the Guardian... on 19:12 - Apr 18 with 1046 viewsEwan_Oozami

An interesting article in the Guardian... on 19:03 - Apr 18 by Bluesquid

Yes it's possible but then the same goes for The Imperial College London that has actually received funding to the tune of millions from The Bill Gates Foundation.

I wish these rich people would just fight it out amongst themselves rather than involving us ordinary people....but maybe that's the whole point......

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024