Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut 15:26 - Apr 18 with 1694 viewsHipsterectomy

Is it wrong to think this puts them and modern football in a bad light? As a young lad is £45,000 a week instead of your £50,000 a week really going to impact your life? Especially when you can’t leave the house

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 15:32 - Apr 18 with 1664 viewsHerbivore

Barcelona players agreed to a 70% pay cut weeks ago. Quite a difference.

To be honest, I'd quite like to see players get furloughed and let them see how they get by on £2500 a month until football can restart. Then they might appreciate just how privileged they are.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 15:32 - Apr 18 with 1663 viewsjeera

Although it's not my place to tell others what to do with their money, I couldn't live with myself keeping that amount whilst knowing other people are struggling.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 15:36 - Apr 18 with 1654 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Yes, it does.

I do get Graham Taylor's line that if they keep the pay they can decide what to do with whereas if they take the pay cut the rich owners will decide what to do with the money. However, I am not sure how many clubs are able to sustain that without generating income. It may well come back to bite the younger players when new contracts are far lower than current ones.

There is also the fact that if you are already financing a millionaire lifestyle, some spending may not be able to be cut just like that. However, for the top earners, 10% does seem a small amount.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 15:36 - Apr 18 with 1657 viewsRadlett_blue

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 15:32 - Apr 18 by Herbivore

To be honest, I'd quite like to see players get furloughed and let them see how they get by on £2500 a month until football can restart. Then they might appreciate just how privileged they are.

There's so much money involved in top level football that a greed culture has taken over, hugely encouraged by agents. Some players see them taking wage cuts as putting money in the pockets of billionaire owners. The reality is that broadcasters are going to recover revenue from unplayed games one way or another & also match day income will be lost; this will affect clubs' ability to keep paying wages & it's logical that this pain should filter through to the players.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 15:49 - Apr 18 with 1616 viewsWD19

In other news I haven’t yet seen confirmation that yesterdays Euromillions winner has donated their win to the ‘walk with Tom’ campaign. Not sure why they are dragging their feet.
Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 15:50 - Apr 18 with 1615 viewstractorboy1978

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 15:32 - Apr 18 by Herbivore

There is no way they would ever agree to be furloughed. It's probably a violation of their contract with legal implications too. Not that I agree with it.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 15:51]
Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 15:59 - Apr 18 with 1593 viewsMattinLondon

Just because footballers haven’t contacted ‘The Sun’ or cried on twitter to tell everyone that they are donating so much money it doesn’t mean that they aren’t.

What business is it of the general public what this group of young men are, or are not, doing.

I just find that today, in this country the mentality is If you don’t tell others you care then obviously you don’t care. And it’s balls.
Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 16:17 - Apr 18 with 1571 viewsIllinoisblue

We all know footballers are obscenely overpaid but the way they’re being beaten with sticks by govt and media is all a bit OTT. They’re an easy, populist target and nicely deflects attention away from the real culprits

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 16:26 - Apr 18 with 1546 viewsHerbivore

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 15:50 - Apr 18 by tractorboy1978

There is no way they would ever agree to be furloughed. It's probably a violation of their contract with legal implications too. Not that I agree with it.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 15:51]

Are you aware of the concept of rhetoric?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 16:28 - Apr 18 with 1545 viewsWD19

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 16:17 - Apr 18 by Illinoisblue

We all know footballers are obscenely overpaid but the way they’re being beaten with sticks by govt and media is all a bit OTT. They’re an easy, populist target and nicely deflects attention away from the real culprits

Well quite. But the reality is, whatever the truth, that the Pangolins always seem to get away lightly.
Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 16:32 - Apr 18 with 1536 viewstractorboy1978

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 16:26 - Apr 18 by Herbivore

Are you aware of the concept of rhetoric?

No but I've heard of passive aggression.
Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 17:09 - Apr 18 with 1507 viewsJ2BLUE

The public are targeting footballers who are worth millions and got where they are based on talent and skill. Many of who set up their own charities long before this virus was discovered.

Meanwhile there are billionaires out there who make their money from business which pay their staff a pittance and treat them like sh1t and/or sell cheap tat produced foreign labour who work in horrendous conditions for a salary which doesn't even cover their basic needs. You'll forgive me if I don't name names, they can afford better lawyers than me. You don't need to look too far in recent times to see some great examples.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 17:18 - Apr 18 with 1494 viewspointofblue

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 17:09 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

The public are targeting footballers who are worth millions and got where they are based on talent and skill. Many of who set up their own charities long before this virus was discovered.

Meanwhile there are billionaires out there who make their money from business which pay their staff a pittance and treat them like sh1t and/or sell cheap tat produced foreign labour who work in horrendous conditions for a salary which doesn't even cover their basic needs. You'll forgive me if I don't name names, they can afford better lawyers than me. You don't need to look too far in recent times to see some great examples.

Whilst I agree with your second paragrpah let's not go overboard with the talent and skills these footballers have to earn millions of pounds - basically managing to kick a bit of leather around.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 17:27 - Apr 18 with 1475 viewsJ2BLUE

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 17:18 - Apr 18 by pointofblue

Whilst I agree with your second paragrpah let's not go overboard with the talent and skills these footballers have to earn millions of pounds - basically managing to kick a bit of leather around.

And people around the world pay a lot of money to watch.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 17:31 - Apr 18 with 1471 viewsMattinLondon

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 17:18 - Apr 18 by pointofblue

And all actors do is talk out loud. If you simplify most well paid jobs then they sound all too easy to do. If they were, then professional football wouldn’t be around.
Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 18:12 - Apr 18 with 1446 viewsRadlett_blue

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 15:59 - Apr 18 by MattinLondon

Just because footballers haven’t contacted ‘The Sun’ or cried on twitter to tell everyone that they are donating so much money it doesn’t mean that they aren’t.

What business is it of the general public what this group of young men are, or are not, doing.

I just find that today, in this country the mentality is If you don’t tell others you care then obviously you don’t care. And it’s balls.

If any footballer, or other rich person, wants to give money to a charity, that's up to them & IMO should remain a private matter. I think what's frustrating people is the intransigence of the PFA over footballers taking even small pay cuts when (a) the clubs are getting into parlous financial situations and (b) the clubs' other staff are being furloughed or taking pay cuts.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 22:34]

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 18:18 - Apr 18 with 1437 viewsPecker

Wrong on every level. Spoilt brats the lot of um.
Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 19:17 - Apr 18 with 1405 viewstractorboy1978

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 18:12 - Apr 18 by Radlett_blue

If any footballer, or other rich person, wants to give money to a charity, that's up to them & IMO should remain a private matter. I think what's frustrating people is the intransigence of the PFA over footballers taking even small pay cuts when (a) the clubs are getting into parlous financial situations and (b) the clubs' other staff are being furloughed or taking pay cuts.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 22:34]

The PFA involvement just seems a bit pointless to me. There is no one size fits all approach to this. Every club and even player has their own financial situation and players should be working with their employers to come to a solution.
Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 20:55 - Apr 18 with 1359 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Try living on long term sick!
Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 13:53 - Apr 25 with 1185 viewsHipsterectomy

After a week of negotiating, Chelsea players have decided against any pay cut and have been asked to give some money to charity instead

I also see that Roy Keane has come out to say he wouldn’t have even considered a pay cut in his playing days for any reason. Not sure if that’s him trolling for media bites or his genuine belief

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 14:02 - Apr 25 with 1173 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 13:53 - Apr 25 by Hipsterectomy

After a week of negotiating, Chelsea players have decided against any pay cut and have been asked to give some money to charity instead

I also see that Roy Keane has come out to say he wouldn’t have even considered a pay cut in his playing days for any reason. Not sure if that’s him trolling for media bites or his genuine belief

I saw a bit of an interview with him where he spoke about wage negotiations and Manchester United claiming they couldn't match his salary at Forest and were unable to offer him better terms another time because of cash flow issues.

He was very clear that the rich owners run the clubs as a business and do the players no favours so the players should not be doing them any favours either. I get his point. It is also why the top players all use agents too.

Quite sure he was not trolling at all.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 20:26 - Apr 25 with 1078 viewsSwansea_Blue

I still don’t understand why clubs don’t do this. Is there something in furlough arrangements that means players aren’t eligible? Or is it purely a contractual, player/agent or PFA power thing going on and clubs daren’t try?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 20:31 - Apr 25 with 1073 viewsWD19

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 20:26 - Apr 25 by Swansea_Blue

I still don’t understand why clubs don’t do this. Is there something in furlough arrangements that means players aren’t eligible? Or is it purely a contractual, player/agent or PFA power thing going on and clubs daren’t try?

You have to agree to be furloughed.

If the players don’t agree they would have to be let go - which would presumably involve the paying up of contracts.....or at least releasing them to free agency under the terms of the contract.....
Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 22:36 - Apr 25 with 1050 viewsRadlett_blue

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 20:31 - Apr 25 by WD19

You have to agree to be furloughed.

If the players don’t agree they would have to be let go - which would presumably involve the paying up of contracts.....or at least releasing them to free agency under the terms of the contract.....

I thought ordinary employees could be put on furlough & had no choice. The situation with footballers is slightly different given their contractual status & from a legal point of view, if a club fails to meet the terms of a contract, I suppose the player can insist on a free transfer. Most sensible players will realise that clubs' income will be decimated & the players have to share that pain.

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 07:50 - Apr 26 with 994 viewstractorboy1978

Chelsea players are negotiating a proposed 10% pay cut on 22:36 - Apr 25 by Radlett_blue

I thought ordinary employees could be put on furlough & had no choice. The situation with footballers is slightly different given their contractual status & from a legal point of view, if a club fails to meet the terms of a contract, I suppose the player can insist on a free transfer. Most sensible players will realise that clubs' income will be decimated & the players have to share that pain.

The employee has to formally agree although in reality most 'ordinary' people don't have a choice because the alternative is probably being jobless.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024