Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best 11 in our history 1938- Present 23:11 - Apr 18 with 796 viewscressi

Cooper
Burley
Mills
Thijsen
Baxter
Beattie
Wark
Murhen
Crawford
Mariner
Phillip's

Subs
Bailey
Butcher
Gates
Brazil
Hunter
J.Roberson
Viljoen
Best 11 in our history 1938- Present on 00:05 - Apr 19 with 739 viewsRocky

Can;t argue that most of that team are among our best 11 players - it's just that you couldn't really have Crawford, Phillips and Mariner as strikers without having some sort of width to provide them with crosses. You need the like of a Rocky Stephenson, Jimmy Leadbetter, Jimmy Robertson, Clive Woods etc to make it function.
Best 11 in our history 1938- Present on 08:15 - Apr 19 with 641 viewsElephantintheRoom

Surely the best 11 in our history was the 11 that won the league? No 11 can do better than that

The problem with fantasy elevens is that they are largely biased, somewhat naturally by those who you saw play - and the rose-tinted memories of youth. And how about the impact made by some players in a short space of time... eg Jimmy Robertson,John O'Rourke... or even Marcus Stewart.

Having seen Town play since the early 60s I'd put David Best way ahead as Town's best goalie..... and that Burley was similarly eclipsed by several full backs.... and Ted Phillips would even more of a target for the boo boys now than he was at the time. And the first name on the team sheet would be Danny Hegan.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Best 11 in our history 1938- Present on 10:13 - Apr 19 with 592 viewsmonty_radio

Much as Billy Baxter was my favourite player for a decade, and, in a great servant 11 would command a plac, you can't put him above Big Al in terms of centre-half. I'd want Hegan in there before Robertson just for his outrageous bits.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Best 11 in our history 1938- Present on 11:46 - Apr 19 with 563 viewsPecker

The formation doesn't work, but that is a great side.
Best 11 in our history 1938- Present on 12:10 - Apr 19 with 544 viewsEnigma_Blue

Not even a place for Bryan Hamilton on the subs bench. Wow.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024