Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... 10:32 - Apr 19 with 1992 viewsBlueastheycome

263 appearances for us over 12 years.

Was he actually not that good?

(He was way before my time)
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 10:44]
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 10:40 - Apr 19 with 1614 viewsMullet

He wouldn't survive in today's game as the position has evolved so much, and he came from primarily an Ice Hockey background. But I think his main problem is not many players would have played with just him and not have had Wright afterwards, who is undoubtedly going to get the nod.

Plus Paul Cooper stayed fairly late so it leaves a pretty small window.

Forrest did go to Chelsea and West Ham though so he wasn't some odd outlier but he wasn't ever going to be a top Prem keeper. Maybe decent in the second tier, bottom end Prem was his level. Albeit he was the first keeper we had really when I started going and he left when I was 12 or so.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 10:42 - Apr 19 with 1607 viewsPJH

He was good but in my opinion not as good as he should have been with his build.

He should have dominated his area but he didn't really.

I always have trouble deciding the goalkeeper for my best ever ITFC team but Craig Forrest is not one that I seriously consider for that.
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 10:42 - Apr 19 with 1606 viewsBlueastheycome

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 10:40 - Apr 19 by Mullet

He wouldn't survive in today's game as the position has evolved so much, and he came from primarily an Ice Hockey background. But I think his main problem is not many players would have played with just him and not have had Wright afterwards, who is undoubtedly going to get the nod.

Plus Paul Cooper stayed fairly late so it leaves a pretty small window.

Forrest did go to Chelsea and West Ham though so he wasn't some odd outlier but he wasn't ever going to be a top Prem keeper. Maybe decent in the second tier, bottom end Prem was his level. Albeit he was the first keeper we had really when I started going and he left when I was 12 or so.

Thank you- good post
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 10:45 - Apr 19 with 1593 viewsBlueastheycome

Also just looking at the maths, 263 appearances over 12 years seems abit low, did he play as a backup at some point ?
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 10:52 - Apr 19 with 1566 viewsgainsboroughblue

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 10:45 - Apr 19 by Blueastheycome

Also just looking at the maths, 263 appearances over 12 years seems abit low, did he play as a backup at some point ?

He was third in line behind Cooper and Hallworth when he joined, possibly even Mark Grew as well.

He went off on loan to Colchester for a season while we were getting in Ron Fearon and Tom Carson on loans.

It was the start of the 88-89 season, where I think I saw his debut at Stoke, when he broke through and once he was in, that was it.

His appearances may have been down also due to Clive Baker having a run in the side, which may have been as a direct result of his sending off v Sheff U (I can't really remember).

Richard Wright displaced him 95' ish.

Edit. I also agree with PJH. For a big man, he didn't command his area like he should.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 10:54]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 10:53 - Apr 19 with 1550 viewssparks

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 10:52 - Apr 19 by gainsboroughblue

He was third in line behind Cooper and Hallworth when he joined, possibly even Mark Grew as well.

He went off on loan to Colchester for a season while we were getting in Ron Fearon and Tom Carson on loans.

It was the start of the 88-89 season, where I think I saw his debut at Stoke, when he broke through and once he was in, that was it.

His appearances may have been down also due to Clive Baker having a run in the side, which may have been as a direct result of his sending off v Sheff U (I can't really remember).

Edit. I also agree with PJH. For a big man, he didn't command his area like he should.

He was decent- but got disploaced by Wright who was better. I think its as simple as that. He would improve the side now.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 10:56 - Apr 19 with 1536 viewsgainsboroughblue

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 10:53 - Apr 19 by sparks

He was decent- but got disploaced by Wright who was better. I think its as simple as that. He would improve the side now.

Fair assessment really. Of course, Craig was ever present in that promotion season so will always look back on his time here with fondness. Used to have a great rapport with the North Stand too.

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 11:02 - Apr 19 with 1527 viewsPJH

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 10:52 - Apr 19 by gainsboroughblue

Great summing up Gainsborough.

Forrest did start 1992/93 in goal but his suspension after the sending off let Clive Baker in and Baker stayed in.

Baker started as first choice in 93/94 but Forrest ending up playing 27 games to Baker's 15 that season.

Forrest was first choice through 94/95 and start of 95/96 but by January 1996 Richard Wright had largely taken over.
Login to get fewer ads

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 11:22 - Apr 19 with 1489 viewsstonojnr

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 11:02 - Apr 19 by PJH

Great summing up Gainsborough.

Forrest did start 1992/93 in goal but his suspension after the sending off let Clive Baker in and Baker stayed in.

Baker started as first choice in 93/94 but Forrest ending up playing 27 games to Baker's 15 that season.

Forrest was first choice through 94/95 and start of 95/96 but by January 1996 Richard Wright had largely taken over.

was he really 1st choice still 95/96 ? I remember Burley picked Wright for a few games at the end of the relegation season, which fwiw Forrest was supporters player of the year for :)

but Burley was kind of on get rid of the old pro's thing, so Forrest may have taken goal for the first half of the season,but it kind of feels like the situation we have with Holy/Norris now in that they were both fighting for the same spot,but with Forrest on the way out as it was clear Wright was the future.

from what I remember Forrest was a good solid keeper, made good saves,did his job, kept us in games, often had woeful cover in front of him,and was frequently terrible at claiming crosses which given his height was annoying, but I dont recall a game and thinking he cost us points.
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 11:43 - Apr 19 with 1461 viewsPecker

No he wasn't. Loyal servant and had the odd couple of good games, but mainly very average.
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 12:06 - Apr 19 with 1424 viewsPJH

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 11:22 - Apr 19 by stonojnr

was he really 1st choice still 95/96 ? I remember Burley picked Wright for a few games at the end of the relegation season, which fwiw Forrest was supporters player of the year for :)

but Burley was kind of on get rid of the old pro's thing, so Forrest may have taken goal for the first half of the season,but it kind of feels like the situation we have with Holy/Norris now in that they were both fighting for the same spot,but with Forrest on the way out as it was clear Wright was the future.

from what I remember Forrest was a good solid keeper, made good saves,did his job, kept us in games, often had woeful cover in front of him,and was frequently terrible at claiming crosses which given his height was annoying, but I dont recall a game and thinking he cost us points.

Richard Wright played the last three league games of 1994/95 with Phil Morgan having been in goal the game before those three but Forrest started the first nine of 1995/96 but got injured in the ninth one.Forrest was back in after three games and stayed in until January apart from Barber playing one game.Richard Wright played almost every game thereafter.

Thanks to "Ipswich Town The Modern Era" by Rob Hadgraft.
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 12:42 - Apr 19 with 1377 viewsITFC_Forever

Baker was awful, Forrest should have been in the side ahead of him when his suspension finished.

But as others have said, he was decent enough and a very good servant to the club..... but Cooper and Wright were better.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 13:11 - Apr 19 with 1339 viewsgainsboroughblue

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 12:06 - Apr 19 by PJH

Richard Wright played the last three league games of 1994/95 with Phil Morgan having been in goal the game before those three but Forrest started the first nine of 1995/96 but got injured in the ninth one.Forrest was back in after three games and stayed in until January apart from Barber playing one game.Richard Wright played almost every game thereafter.

Didn't Forrest get sent off again in 95-96? I remember Neil Gregory going between the sticks v Charlton in a 1-5 defeat.

Edit. Having re-read your post, it was probably the injury that led to Gregory going in goal.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 13:12]

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 13:14 - Apr 19 with 1329 viewsPJH

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 13:11 - Apr 19 by gainsboroughblue

Didn't Forrest get sent off again in 95-96? I remember Neil Gregory going between the sticks v Charlton in a 1-5 defeat.

Edit. Having re-read your post, it was probably the injury that led to Gregory going in goal.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 13:12]

Yes, in the build up to the first Charlton goal.
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 13:18 - Apr 19 with 1323 viewsStokieBlue

My favourite memories of Forrest (assuming I am remembering correctly) were that he would occasionally do absolutely massive throws rather than kicks, well into the opposite half.

Tremendous.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 13:20 - Apr 19 with 1320 viewsTrequartista

He was good, not great, but good. You don't win the league with a poor keeper, but he looked better than he was - liked doing a few saves for the camera - but solid, don't remember many blunders.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 13:23 - Apr 19 with 1313 viewsTrequartista

Spot on apart from the order when he joined was, famously, Cooper, Hallworth, lady who washed the kit, Grew.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 13:35 - Apr 19 with 1305 viewsgainsboroughblue

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 13:14 - Apr 19 by PJH

Yes, in the build up to the first Charlton goal.

Yep. Remember now. Think he collided with Leaburn or someone and was on the ground while they scored.

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 14:34 - Apr 19 with 1261 viewsernie

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 12:06 - Apr 19 by PJH

There was no chance of Forrest getting a look in again after the Blackburn away cup replay...
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 14:38 - Apr 19 with 1255 viewsBlueBadger

He was Dean Gerkan to Wright's Bart.

Decent enough but up against a far better player. He'd have walked into most Championship level teams at the time.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 14:52 - Apr 19 with 1240 viewsgainsboroughblue

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 13:23 - Apr 19 by Trequartista

Spot on apart from the order when he joined was, famously, Cooper, Hallworth, lady who washed the kit, Grew.

Good memory!

Yep. "The washer woman has a better chance of getting a game than me."

It was the first time I really recall seeing something like that in the paper from a pro.

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 14:55 - Apr 19 with 1232 viewssolemio

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 12:42 - Apr 19 by ITFC_Forever

Baker was awful, Forrest should have been in the side ahead of him when his suspension finished.

But as others have said, he was decent enough and a very good servant to the club..... but Cooper and Wright were better.

Baker reminds me of Sereni in that he was a great shot saver, but less good on other more technical aspects of a keeper's job. Also he wasn't quite tall enough!
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 15:00 - Apr 19 with 1224 viewsSharkey

He was only at Colchester a couple of months, Feb-April 88 . Alec Chamberlain had been sold to Everton the previous summer, and the U's really struggled to find a semi-decent replacement.

I was the strangest of seasons at Layer Road. Mike Walker was sacked when the U's were top of the table, and replaced by Roger Brown. The average home gate was 1,700, and against Swansea C. the gate was only just over a thousand.
Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 15:35 - Apr 19 with 1201 viewsgainsboroughblue

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 15:00 - Apr 19 by Sharkey

He was only at Colchester a couple of months, Feb-April 88 . Alec Chamberlain had been sold to Everton the previous summer, and the U's really struggled to find a semi-decent replacement.

I was the strangest of seasons at Layer Road. Mike Walker was sacked when the U's were top of the table, and replaced by Roger Brown. The average home gate was 1,700, and against Swansea C. the gate was only just over a thousand.

Roger Brown who led them to a superb 8-0 defeat at Orient as well from memory.

Craig Forrest not even getting mentioned in these best starting 11’s... on 15:44 - Apr 19 with 1184 viewsmidastouch

I recall Forrest was a decent enough shop-stopper for that era. Goalkeeper training was nothing then like it is now. I think it might of been his command of the box, cross-taking ability, and kicking that let him down a tad but as a shot stopper (even if he did let 9 in one game!) he was decent for the time. That's what I remember at least. I might be wrong on some of the precise details as my my memory isn't what it used to be. There were plenty of other keepers around that were a lot worse than Forrest at the time. I used to work at a college and a lady who worked there called Sue said that he married a relative of hers (if I recall correctly).

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024