Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories 17:47 - Apr 19 with 1744 viewsBrixtonBlue

you can think of?

Top of my head (footballing-wise) there's Leicester winning the Prem, then Man U and Liverpool's comebacks in the Champions League (!999 and 2005 respectively). Any more football or other sporting ones you can think of?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 17:49 - Apr 19 with 1475 viewsFtnfwest

Itfc winning the league
Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 17:58 - Apr 19 with 1441 viewsHerbivore

Carl Froch stopping Jermain Taylor in the dying seconds of the 12th round whilst behind on the score cards and having been out boxed for large chunks of the fight.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 17:59 - Apr 19 with 1439 viewsvapour_trail

Russell Osman inspiring the POWs to recover from a 4-1 half time defecit to rescue a 4-4 draw against the evil Hun, and still escape at the end of the match.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 17:59 - Apr 19 with 1438 viewsHerbivore

Spurs against Ajax last season too. They were dead and buried at half time in the second leg and somehow came back to win with almost the last kick of the game.

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:05 - Apr 19 with 1424 viewsgainsboroughblue

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 17:59 - Apr 19 by Herbivore

Spurs against Ajax last season too. They were dead and buried at half time in the second leg and somehow came back to win with almost the last kick of the game.

Liverpool the next (or previous night).
Bob Champion winning the Grand National in 1981.
Paul Lawrie in the Open some years ago.
The Stokes test match last summer.
Botham at Headingley.

Edit. I could add Dennis Taylor 8-0 down and winning last frame decider at the Crucible 1985.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 18:11]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:10 - Apr 19 with 1410 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The Sheffield Utd 2-0 down and down to 10 men win 3-2 (I think it was that anyway).

Pablo's last gasp winner after Coventry equalised in injury time at Portman Road.

2-0 down vs Bolton in the play-off first leg with a history of losing every play-off semi-final we ever played in.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:12 - Apr 19 with 1402 viewsgainsboroughblue

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:10 - Apr 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

The Sheffield Utd 2-0 down and down to 10 men win 3-2 (I think it was that anyway).

Pablo's last gasp winner after Coventry equalised in injury time at Portman Road.

2-0 down vs Bolton in the play-off first leg with a history of losing every play-off semi-final we ever played in.

Yep. You're right on the Sheff Utd game.

Probably the most emotional I have been at a Town game, possibly even more so than the play-offs. Dale Roberts RIP.

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:30 - Apr 19 with 1380 viewsJ2BLUE

You've all forgotten the greatest comeback win in the Premier League era:

Man City 3-2 QPR

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:39 - Apr 19 with 1367 viewsWD19

The cricket ones are obvious....Headingly in the 80s and Stokes Test last year...

Various minnows beat Test playing sides quite regularly in one day games, but I imagine the Dutch revelled in beating England.

In athletics Ben Johnson did well in 1988.
Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:40 - Apr 19 with 1363 viewsRadlett_blue

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:30 - Apr 19 by J2BLUE

You've all forgotten the greatest comeback win in the Premier League era:

Man City 3-2 QPR

No, it was Man City in 2004 in the FA Cup (both clubs fielding strong sides). City 3-0 down at half time & Joey Barton sent off at half time. 10 man City come back to win 4-3, with our later loanee john Macken grabbing an injury time winner. (that was probably the most unlikely bit about it at all).
Otherwise, England at Headingley in 1981. I wouldn't have felt 500-1 England was especially generous, with England 135-7, still needing 92 runs to make Australia bat again, with only Botham & 3 bowlers left to bat.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:59 - Apr 19 with 1318 viewsbluelagos

Greatest is pushing it, but at Oakwell in the late 80s we were 3 down with 10 mins to go in and came back to grab a draw.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 19:01 - Apr 19 with 1315 viewsLord_Lucan

Headingly 81,

Champ league; Liverpool v AC, Barca v PSG, Bayern v Man U

Taylor v Steve Davis 85?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 19:16 - Apr 19 with 1280 viewsHerbivore

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:59 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

Greatest is pushing it, but at Oakwell in the late 80s we were 3 down with 10 mins to go in and came back to grab a draw.

It was actually 1996 and it was only 5 minutes to go: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/barnsley-blow-it-1341352.html

Remarkable stuff, I was going to give it a mention.

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 19:16 - Apr 19 with 1279 viewsRadlett_blue

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 19:01 - Apr 19 by Lord_Lucan

Headingly 81,

Champ league; Liverpool v AC, Barca v PSG, Bayern v Man U

Taylor v Steve Davis 85?

Ha - Liverpool v Milan. I'd played squash that evening & came into the bar with my opponent, a Charlton fan. The score was 3-0 to Milan, second half had just started so he asked me for odds on Liverpool. I said 50-1 & before he could bet, Gerrard pulled one back. He repeated his request so I offered a more cautious 10-1, which he took to the tune of £5. Almost immediately, Liverpool scored again. By the time it went to penalties, I felt there was an air of inevitability & I handed him his £50, still thinking I was lucky he hadn't had time to take the 50-1.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 19:20 - Apr 19 with 1274 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A few more to mention:

Unhappily Oxford from 3-0 down to us beating us with an Aldridge hattrick in very short time.

Michael Thomas scoring the second goal needed for Arsenal to win the top division on goal difference.

Leicester winning the Premier League.

Someone equalling our record Premier League defeat (and to Leicester and at home!).

Aguero goal winning the Premier League with virtually the last kick of the season as Man Utd were ready to celebrate the title.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 19:26 - Apr 19 with 1266 viewsLord_Lucan

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 19:16 - Apr 19 by Radlett_blue

Ha - Liverpool v Milan. I'd played squash that evening & came into the bar with my opponent, a Charlton fan. The score was 3-0 to Milan, second half had just started so he asked me for odds on Liverpool. I said 50-1 & before he could bet, Gerrard pulled one back. He repeated his request so I offered a more cautious 10-1, which he took to the tune of £5. Almost immediately, Liverpool scored again. By the time it went to penalties, I felt there was an air of inevitability & I handed him his £50, still thinking I was lucky he hadn't had time to take the 50-1.

I really don't know why but I really thought that Liverpool would win even after 3 - 0 down.

When they came back to 3 - 2 I nearly wanted them to win but reverted to type when they equalised.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 19:29 - Apr 19 with 1255 viewsbluelagos

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 19:16 - Apr 19 by Herbivore

It was actually 1996 and it was only 5 minutes to go: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/barnsley-blow-it-1341352.html

Remarkable stuff, I was going to give it a mention.

Was it that late? Better than I thought!

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 19:31 - Apr 19 with 1253 viewsHerbivore

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 19:29 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

Was it that late? Better than I thought!

I know! I can't imagine many sides have come back from a three goal deficit that late in a game.

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 19:35 - Apr 19 with 1247 viewsvapour_trail

Cheick Tiote (RIP) rifling an equaliser from well outside the box for Newcastle who’d been four down with about 20 mins left against arsenal.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 20:16 - Apr 19 with 1209 viewsBrixtonBlue

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:05 - Apr 19 by gainsboroughblue

Botham at Headingley.

Edit. I could add Dennis Taylor 8-0 down and winning last frame decider at the Crucible 1985.

Some good shouts there, especially Dennis Taylor. Remember that well, with him holding the cue in both hands and shaking it in celebration. Probably the best snooker match I've ever seen.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 20:37 - Apr 19 with 1193 viewsgainsboroughblue

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 20:16 - Apr 19 by BrixtonBlue

Some good shouts there, especially Dennis Taylor. Remember that well, with him holding the cue in both hands and shaking it in celebration. Probably the best snooker match I've ever seen.

I would have been 11 going on 12.

I knew it had gone all the way as my parents, who were early nighters, weren't heard coming up the stairs until gone midnight.

It was probably about 13-12 when I was ordered to bed.

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 21:27 - Apr 19 with 1170 viewsPJH

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:59 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

Think it was 6 minutes left and 3-0 down.

I remember thinking:-

First goal-just a consolation
Second goal-Too late
Third goal-Wow, let's win this.

I think another couple of minutes and we would have won, not sure if my memory playing tricks but I think we did have a half chance to make it 4-3.

edit-just seen the other posts about that game.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 21:29]
Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 21:38 - Apr 19 with 1147 viewsGeoffSentence

Edit: oops, OP said 'British'
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 21:39]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 21:44 - Apr 19 with 1137 viewsBlueForYou

Ryder Cup win at Medinah.
Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 22:19 - Apr 19 with 1105 viewssolemio

Greatest British sporting comebacks or 'against all odds' victories on 18:05 - Apr 19 by gainsboroughblue

Botham at Headingley.

Don't forget the late Bob Willis at Headingly too. Botham is, to be fair, the first to stress this.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024