Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Malware question 05:15 - Apr 20 with 1200 viewsRyorry

Currently use free Malwarebytes for my Mac lappie. Is it worth upgrading to the pay-for (about £18 annually) Premium version? which has a preventative function (the free version only removes malware if it does invade).

Or - I see the Total AV anti-virus pro, which is free, has been given the #1 spot in a top ten antivirus for macs review poll (but am not sure not if that itself is trustworthy?).

Any assistance from techie experts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Malware question on 07:37 - Apr 20 with 1143 viewsDanTheMan

You probably don't need the premium version, I'm fairly sure OSX already has real time protection.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Malware question on 08:49 - Apr 20 with 1109 viewsJimmyJazz

My advice - never use the word 'lappie' again

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Malware question on 09:14 - Apr 20 with 1096 viewsGeoffSentence

Malware question on 08:49 - Apr 20 by JimmyJazz

My advice - never use the word 'lappie' again

not even in the context of dancing?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Malware question on 09:38 - Apr 20 with 1082 viewsmonytowbray

I don't think I've installed AV on a computer in years. Takes me back!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Malware question on 16:14 - Apr 20 with 996 viewsRyorry

Malware question on 07:37 - Apr 20 by DanTheMan

You probably don't need the premium version, I'm fairly sure OSX already has real time protection.

Thanks Dan - do you mean my Mac OS (I'm on fairly recent version Mojave) will have its own realtime malware protection? as the free Malwarebytes version says that's defo not included.

An authorised Apple techie who I gave remote access to for an hour when I had black screen 6 months ago said Malwarebytes was the only protection I needed, but I don't think he was aware it was the free version.

PS - to JimmyJazz - Lappie, lappie, lappie lappie, lappie, lappie, lappie

Malware question on 16:15 - Apr 20 with 996 viewsmidastouch

Some have real-time protection. Do you do banking and stuff online via your desktop, sorry I mean laptop? It really depends how much sort of sensitive stuff you are doing on your laptop. A free version would be fine for some users, but say you were logging into a Bitcoin wallet or something like that (that would be nice hey!), then you really would ideally want paid for protection. Even if logging into Paypal or online banking, then I'd want better protection than just basic. Good passwords are a must. In fact a decent password manager can be a real help there. I would recommend 1 Password for that.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Malware question on 16:17 - Apr 20 with 987 viewsRyorry

Malware question on 16:15 - Apr 20 by midastouch

Some have real-time protection. Do you do banking and stuff online via your desktop, sorry I mean laptop? It really depends how much sort of sensitive stuff you are doing on your laptop. A free version would be fine for some users, but say you were logging into a Bitcoin wallet or something like that (that would be nice hey!), then you really would ideally want paid for protection. Even if logging into Paypal or online banking, then I'd want better protection than just basic. Good passwords are a must. In fact a decent password manager can be a real help there. I would recommend 1 Password for that.

Thanks Midas. Yes, I do both online banking + Paypal regularly.

Malware question on 16:22 - Apr 20 with 983 viewsmidastouch

Malware question on 16:17 - Apr 20 by Ryorry

Thanks Midas. Yes, I do both online banking + Paypal regularly.

That's alright. I would prob be inclined to pay for better protection. It's confusing though as there are so many different options. One alternative is get Avast. There is a minor privacy pitfall with Avast which I will explain about (but that's easy to swerve). First of all which web browser do you use as well? Let me know and I'll explain.
You ideally want some of these add-ons (Firefox) or extensions (Chrome):

The first one is UBlock Origin, then Adblocker Plus (no more darn YouTube ads thank goodness!), Disconnect, and possibly Privacy badger.
I'll come to you about the other stuff once you let me know which browser you use.

Login to get fewer ads

Malware question on 16:24 - Apr 20 with 977 viewsmidastouch

Malware question on 16:22 - Apr 20 by midastouch

That's alright. I would prob be inclined to pay for better protection. It's confusing though as there are so many different options. One alternative is get Avast. There is a minor privacy pitfall with Avast which I will explain about (but that's easy to swerve). First of all which web browser do you use as well? Let me know and I'll explain.
You ideally want some of these add-ons (Firefox) or extensions (Chrome):

The first one is UBlock Origin, then Adblocker Plus (no more darn YouTube ads thank goodness!), Disconnect, and possibly Privacy badger.
I'll come to you about the other stuff once you let me know which browser you use.

Look at the numbers here, this is Yahoo running, now look how much background crap these have stopped, the numbers are crazy!

Malware question on 16:28 - Apr 20 with 972 viewsRyorry

Malware question on 16:24 - Apr 20 by midastouch

Look at the numbers here, this is Yahoo running, now look how much background crap these have stopped, the numbers are crazy!

Cheers - have PM'd you - gotta go out now, but back in this eve.

Thanks again :)

Malware question on 16:29 - Apr 20 with 965 viewsmidastouch

Malware question on 16:24 - Apr 20 by midastouch

Here is Avast free, if you get this be sure to turn all this crap off from the settings:

The reason I say so is this:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-cost-of-avasts-free-antivirus-companies-can-spy-o
If you get Avast free you can also install their browser and it has a really useful bank mode. Now that is worth having as it will keep your details very safe indeed. So you use the bank mode for logging into your bank and Paypal. I don't use their browser for anything else, only for banking and Paypal etc. Sometimes it will set itself to boot each time your PC starts but it's easy to disable that.
So I use Firefox for all my usual browsing (much kinder on privacy than Chrome) and I use the Avast browser in bank mode for logging into sites I want to be extra secure with.
That might be a good way to go.

Malware question on 16:31 - Apr 20 with 959 viewsmidastouch

Malware question on 16:29 - Apr 20 by midastouch

Here is Avast free, if you get this be sure to turn all this crap off from the settings:

The reason I say so is this:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-cost-of-avasts-free-antivirus-companies-can-spy-o
If you get Avast free you can also install their browser and it has a really useful bank mode. Now that is worth having as it will keep your details very safe indeed. So you use the bank mode for logging into your bank and Paypal. I don't use their browser for anything else, only for banking and Paypal etc. Sometimes it will set itself to boot each time your PC starts but it's easy to disable that.
So I use Firefox for all my usual browsing (much kinder on privacy than Chrome) and I use the Avast browser in bank mode for logging into sites I want to be extra secure with.
That might be a good way to go.

No worries mate, just got your message, can explain properly via those tonight.

Malware question on 16:41 - Apr 20 with 946 viewsmidastouch

Malware question on 16:31 - Apr 20 by midastouch

No worries mate, just got your message, can explain properly via those tonight.

Here are some of the paid for options:
https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/best-antivirus

I have one running called Zemana which I'm pretty happy with but might change it once it runs out as the price has gone up a fair bit and I've got a 3 licence deal and it's a bit pricey now, so considering a change next time.

I just like to have real-time protection of some sort and with the free ones they often don't have that, so it's a classic case of trying to cure rather than prevent and that's not the best way to go!

Also, I use CCleaner Free and zap all the cookies and other tracking crap regularly, it's amazing what slips through the net even with all the other protection I have!
In CCleaner settings again you might want to do this:

So I've turned the sharing information check box off, as you can tell by now, I don't like those!

But first and foremost, out with any weak passwords, those are the most risky things for sure! I have a different password for every site, and I like long random ones that I can't remember! If you can remember it, it's too weak!

Cheers
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 17:00]

Malware question on 19:28 - Apr 20 with 895 viewsEireannach_gorm

Malware question on 07:37 - Apr 20 by DanTheMan

Gatekeeper is the built in Mac anti virus.
https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT202491
(Thats why you should do the updates on Macs)

To prevent web nonsense the free version of MalwareBytes is good but the Avast option seems to be better ( with the mentioned alterations ).
Malware question on 01:49 - Apr 21 with 817 viewsRyorry

Thanks all, going to sleep on it & decide tomorrow 👍

Malware question on 15:00 - Apr 22 with 741 viewsmidastouch

Malware question on 01:49 - Apr 21 by Ryorry

Thanks all, going to sleep on it & decide tomorrow 👍

You don't need worry about this one but this just goes to show how more and more sophisticated these attacks are becoming:

Ripple takes YouTube to court over XRP scammers:
https://cryptodaily.co.uk/2020/04/ripple-youtube-court-xrp

"The XRP scam in question relies on spear-phishing attacks against legitimate channels on YouTube. By using malicious emails, the attackers are able to take control of the creators' channel.

The videos taken over by scammers, then encourage viewers to send up to 1,000,000 XRP tokens to a listed address. In return, they promised five times what they have in profit."

XRP stands for Ripple which is a crypto coin.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2020 15:03]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024