Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads 12:12 - Apr 20 with 2897 viewsMaySixth

He did a pretty good job overall.
His football was terrible to watch.
The end.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 12:13 - Apr 20 with 2287 viewsSuperblue95

You’re one of them obviously as you’ve started another thread about him

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 12:17 - Apr 20 with 2261 viewsChutney

He did a very good job. He papered over a lot of cracks and under funding from the owner by keeping us competitive on a shoe string. Unfortunately a lot of our supporters are morons and don't know a lot about football, continue to dine out on past glories and think we have a god given right to be better than we are.

#carefulwhatyouwishfor
Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 12:34 - Apr 20 with 2216 viewsBluefish

was his football worse than PRP's? Really not much in it

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 12:46 - Apr 20 with 2179 viewsfabian_illness

Utterly ridiculous title.
Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 13:18 - Apr 20 with 2120 viewsBlueBadger

The entertainment's just gone through the roof since he left hasn't it?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 13:19 - Apr 20 with 2117 viewsBlueBadger

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 12:34 - Apr 20 by Bluefish

was his football worse than PRP's? Really not much in it

Well, he lost a lot, lot less. But he never bought anyone a drink, so it's about even really.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 13:42 - Apr 20 with 2090 viewsr2d2

He did great with what he had to work with. He took dogs abuse and when he gave some back the big girls blouses cried like babies.
Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 13:57 - Apr 20 with 2041 viewsBlueBadger

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 12:17 - Apr 20 by Chutney

He did a very good job. He papered over a lot of cracks and under funding from the owner by keeping us competitive on a shoe string. Unfortunately a lot of our supporters are morons and don't know a lot about football, continue to dine out on past glories and think we have a god given right to be better than we are.

#carefulwhatyouwishfor

Yes, but The Football Is Better Now.

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 13:58 - Apr 20 with 2045 viewsrickw

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 12:17 - Apr 20 by Chutney

#carefulwhatyouwishfor

I don't think fans demanded more success than what Mick was delivering, just could see we were on a downward spiral.

I don't understand those fans who were happy with what Mick was producing -
90 minutes of boredom but safe in the Championship - that made you happy?

I think the entertainment has been slightly better under Lambert (still not good though), although the results have been worse.
I think I'm in a minority and would give Lambert more time (until the end of the season) but if the slump continues then he'll have to go.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 13:58 - Apr 20 with 2037 viewsBlueBadger

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 12:46 - Apr 20 by fabian_illness

Utterly ridiculous title.

If Mick is living rent-free, I dread to think what Lambert was(and still is for some people) doing all that time people were making excuses for him.

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:29 - Apr 20 with 2001 viewsBlueBadger

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 13:58 - Apr 20 by rickw

I don't think fans demanded more success than what Mick was delivering, just could see we were on a downward spiral.

I think the entertainment has been slightly better under Lambert (still not good though), although the results have been worse.
I think I'm in a minority and would give Lambert more time (until the end of the season) but if the slump continues then he'll have to go.

I think I'd rather be bored and safe in the Championship(where we were) than bored and safe in the third division(where we are), on balance. And as for entertainment under Lambert, I simply don't understand that at all - we've spent nearly all of his tenure losing in varying degrees of gutlessness and I can't see what he's done to warrant any more time in the job. He's a manager who's failed in every job he's had between us and Norwich and he's failing here as well.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 15:03]

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:41 - Apr 20 with 1984 viewsPhilTWTD

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 13:58 - Apr 20 by rickw

I'm not sure the football was ultimately the issue, it was more about character and personality. Fans in general didn't particularly like him or feel he was the right fit for an Ipswich manager, which the gesture at Norwich confirmed for most. The situation was allowed to drag on for 18 months too long. He should have gone after the Lincoln cup defeat.
Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:46 - Apr 20 with 1966 viewsrickw

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:29 - Apr 20 by BlueBadger

I think I'd rather be bored and safe in the Championship(where we were) than bored and safe in the third division(where we are), on balance. And as for entertainment under Lambert, I simply don't understand that at all - we've spent nearly all of his tenure losing in varying degrees of gutlessness and I can't see what he's done to warrant any more time in the job. He's a manager who's failed in every job he's had between us and Norwich and he's failing here as well.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 15:03]

Being bored in the Championship or being bored in L1 aren't the only 2 possibilities - there are other managers out there - hope for entertainment!!

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:47 - Apr 20 with 1961 viewsBlueBadger

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:46 - Apr 20 by rickw

Being bored in the Championship or being bored in L1 aren't the only 2 possibilities - there are other managers out there - hope for entertainment!!

No, but being bored in the third division is what we'll get long-term if our Worst Manager Ever keeps his job.

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:52 - Apr 20 with 1951 viewsrickw

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:41 - Apr 20 by PhilTWTD

I'm not sure the football was ultimately the issue, it was more about character and personality. Fans in general didn't particularly like him or feel he was the right fit for an Ipswich manager, which the gesture at Norwich confirmed for most. The situation was allowed to drag on for 18 months too long. He should have gone after the Lincoln cup defeat.

I can't speak for others but I quite liked Mick, just wouldn't want to pay again to watch one of his teams play football. I think the animosity at him came because fans felt they had to for Evans to hear and take note.

You are exactly right on that timing though, if he'd have left after Lincoln when most fans were still supportive of him I think the general consensus would have been he did well on the funds available and he took us as far as he could so left after doing a decent job.

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:55 - Apr 20 with 1937 viewsPJH

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:46 - Apr 20 by rickw

Yes there are other managers but as it has turned out the two that came before him and the two that have come since only go to show what a good manager MM was for us.
Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:58 - Apr 20 with 1937 viewsChutney

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:41 - Apr 20 by PhilTWTD

It's a tough one, and easy in hindsight, but who is to say we wouldn't have had our relegation confirmed a season earlier had he have left sooner? My sentiment towards it has softened over time, from thinking he was a belligerent old so and so at the time, and feeling a sense of regret but also acceptance that it was probably the right time for him to leave, on balance. Now I tend to think he was harshly treated. Not just because of where we're at now, since MM, but he didn't deserve the toxic abuse he got. A few London away days (Fulham & Brentford) stick in my mind. They tend to attract a certain type of supporter and combining that with some pretty uninspiring performances meant for a horrible atmosphere that he really didn't deserve. Not disputing some of his actions did him no favours though.
Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 15:55 - Apr 20 with 1873 viewsChrisd

Now with what's unravelled since MM's departure about ME and his financial backing I certainly respect what MM had achieved, which I didn't at the time. Although, I do feel MM thrived on having the 'underdog' label against some of the big hitters in the league. Nevertheless, the last few months were extremely toxic and the football was bloody dreadful and getting worse the longer it was going on, it couldn't really carry on the way it was going and the angst it was causing. The change was right, however the way things have turned out I'm sure MM is having a chuckle at our demise.

I just find the whole MM debate one we should all move on from, but frustratingly it keeps raising it's head.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 16:19 - Apr 20 with 1849 viewsGeoffSentence

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 14:52 - Apr 20 by rickw

I can't speak for others but I quite liked Mick, just wouldn't want to pay again to watch one of his teams play football. I think the animosity at him came because fans felt they had to for Evans to hear and take note.

You are exactly right on that timing though, if he'd have left after Lincoln when most fans were still supportive of him I think the general consensus would have been he did well on the funds available and he took us as far as he could so left after doing a decent job.

I quite liked Mick, but second half of the play-off season onwards really did not like his football.

Bolton at home a few seasons ago was what did it for me, setting up to draw against the bottom team and hoping to sneak a win. There had to be something better than that.

As it turns out neither Paul has been better than that.

I think it is time to role the dice and see what we get next time. Lambert has been given enough time and things get worse as time goes on, we've gone more than two months without a win FFS .

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 19:41 - Apr 20 with 1772 viewsBluefish

I'm mot sure why the Lincoln cup defeat is such a big deal for some. They beat bigger sides than us that year.

Out of interest Phil when do you think PRP should have gone? After Lincoln away in December or when he relegated us without any fight?

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 19:59 - Apr 20 with 1757 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 19:41 - Apr 20 by Bluefish

I'm mot sure why the Lincoln cup defeat is such a big deal for some. They beat bigger sides than us that year.

Out of interest Phil when do you think PRP should have gone? After Lincoln away in December or when he relegated us without any fight?

Difficult to say when a manager should or shouldn't have gone because much of it depends on who else is available, and who might be available in the near future. That's particularly the case mid-season.

Obviously Mick stayed on far too long and should have gone earlier.

Lambert would have been sacked pretty much anywhere else. It's a shame (and frankly bizzare) he's seemingly the choice to manage the sort of project the club is going with, i.e. long term view, developing players etc.
Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 20:52 - Apr 20 with 1720 viewsTrequartista

Putting aside all the arguments about how well he did, the thing that strikes me is that while he was here we were being presented a narrative that didn't add up. We were told we were chasing the playoffs in every single season he was here, at no point whatsoever did Evans or McCarthy ever say that the target was avoiding relegation, or gaining a place in the upper half of the table.

Now read his quotes today - i.e. he was success for avoiding relegation and gaining a place in the upper half of the table.

We are just treated like mugs.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 21:49 - Apr 20 with 1671 viewsKeaneish

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 19:41 - Apr 20 by Bluefish

Terry Butcher, one of England’s greatest defenders said, "I can't remember ever being so embarrassed and humiliated as an Ipswich fan," he told BBC Radio 5 live. "Ipswich lost the wrong way, not enough fight, not enough passion“. That same evening Chris Sutton (who Bluefish had a selfie with) was giving it large to Town fans on the radio.

Several years later Terry Butcher signs a part time deal to coach under Paul Lambert.

Out of interest Phil, who do you think is right here? One of England’s greatest ever defenders, Terry Butcher or an egotistical Mick McCarthy sycophant, Bluefish?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 22:19 - Apr 20 with 1630 viewsvapour_trail

I thought the gesture at Norwich was fair enough. He’d just had to put up with the morons in our support having a song song with the Norwich fans.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 22:26 - Apr 20 with 1603 viewsBluefish

Mick McCarthy still living rent free in many Ipswich fan's heads on 21:49 - Apr 20 by Keaneish

Terry Butcher, one of England’s greatest defenders said, "I can't remember ever being so embarrassed and humiliated as an Ipswich fan," he told BBC Radio 5 live. "Ipswich lost the wrong way, not enough fight, not enough passion“. That same evening Chris Sutton (who Bluefish had a selfie with) was giving it large to Town fans on the radio.

Several years later Terry Butcher signs a part time deal to coach under Paul Lambert.

Out of interest Phil, who do you think is right here? One of England’s greatest ever defenders, Terry Butcher or an egotistical Mick McCarthy sycophant, Bluefish?

Roflcopter

That is rather desperate sweetie

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024