Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... 22:33 - Apr 20 with 2016 viewsBent_double

refuse to treat the idiots who are out protesting against the lockdown.

'Give me cov-id19 or give me freedom'....jeez, how are they so dumb?

Disgraceful.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 23:13 - Apr 20 with 1527 viewsdavblue

USA, USA, USA!
I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 08:27 - Apr 21 with 1438 viewsHarry_Palmer

Yes, god forbid people who are fit and healthy should protest about being locked in their houses whilst having to watch a business they have spent years building up being disintegrated in the space of weeks.

How dare the single Mum with 3 children protest, the single Mum who was working 2 jobs to make ends meet and now has little or no income and can't put food on the table. What a disgrace she is.

There is always two sides, just because you might be ok right now, don't assume everybody else is. We are all quick to judge everybody else without knowing their story, maybe we shouldn't be.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 8:58]
I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 08:36 - Apr 21 with 1417 viewsBent_double

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 08:27 - Apr 21 by Harry_Palmer

Yes, god forbid people who are fit and healthy should protest about being locked in their houses whilst having to watch a business they have spent years building up being disintegrated in the space of weeks.

How dare the single Mum with 3 children protest, the single Mum who was working 2 jobs to make ends meet and now has little or no income and can't put food on the table. What a disgrace she is.

There is always two sides, just because you might be ok right now, don't assume everybody else is. We are all quick to judge everybody else without knowing their story, maybe we shouldn't be.

Then their government should be doing more.

Don't risk the lives of healthcare professionals by spreading the virus, or just don't expect them to help you if you carry on with your normal lives and end up getting sick.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 08:38 - Apr 21 with 1414 viewsbluelagos

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 08:27 - Apr 21 by Harry_Palmer

"There is always two sides, just because you might be ok right now, don't assume everybody else is. We are all quick to judge everybody else without knowing their story, maybe we shouldn't be. "

That is very true, and it is worth trying to understand what is behind their actions. I think they are probably not fully understanding the dangers the virus presents, how easily spread it is, how lethal it is.

A bit like most of us here a couple of months ago when the idea of a lockdown would have been very unpopular.

Are they therefore stupid / evil people people? Or are those responsible for communicating the dangers failing miserably? Or is the US so ingrained with it's distrust of the media, or government that it is a near impossible job to get through to sections of the masses in the US?

Don't know tbh, but I actually agree it is way too easy to shake your head (As I did when I saw it) without stepping back to wonder wtf is actually going on in people's heads before coming to a judgement.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 08:42 - Apr 21 with 1404 viewssparks

The existence of two sides does not mean th two sides are equivalent...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 08:43 - Apr 21 with 1400 viewsbluelagos

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 08:42 - Apr 21 by sparks

Think history has definitely proved that one correct Bully.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:00 - Apr 21 with 1369 viewsGeoffSentence

In this case there is certainly no easy, right answer.

Lockdown is causing some very serious problems for a lot of people. Not simply economic issues, but health ones too. There are people with life threatening health conditions whose hospital appointments are being cancelled, people developing signs of serious health conditions who should go to hospital who are not because they are scared of contracting CV19 whilst there.

That there are two sides to this , does not mean that either one is right. In fact whatever we do, some parts of society will suffer badly.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:04 - Apr 21 with 1365 viewsHarry_Palmer

There are up to 17 million people in America that are currently unemployed and facing big trouble financially. Given the still relatively low mortality rate of C19 it is hardly surprising that some people are protesting. I believe we have not seen anything yet in terms of the socio-economic impact of lockdown in this and other countries. You may have a very different view in 12 months time.
Login to get fewer ads

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:07 - Apr 21 with 1355 viewsGlasgowBlue

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:00 - Apr 21 by GeoffSentence

In this case there is certainly no easy, right answer.

Lockdown is causing some very serious problems for a lot of people. Not simply economic issues, but health ones too. There are people with life threatening health conditions whose hospital appointments are being cancelled, people developing signs of serious health conditions who should go to hospital who are not because they are scared of contracting CV19 whilst there.

That there are two sides to this , does not mean that either one is right. In fact whatever we do, some parts of society will suffer badly.

One of my 17 year old daughter’s had an after school job in a call centre before the lockdown. When we went unti lockdown she started working from home and her company gut a contract to pass in details of Americans who were struggling financially because if the crisis.

She had to quit after just three days as she was getting 8 hours a day if abuse and heartbreaking stories if people who have been put on the scrap heap with absolutely no finically help from the government.

She had single mothers needing money that day to stop being evicted. The situation over there seems horrific.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:11 - Apr 21 with 1353 viewsBasuco

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:04 - Apr 21 by Harry_Palmer

There are up to 17 million people in America that are currently unemployed and facing big trouble financially. Given the still relatively low mortality rate of C19 it is hardly surprising that some people are protesting. I believe we have not seen anything yet in terms of the socio-economic impact of lockdown in this and other countries. You may have a very different view in 12 months time.

The counter argument is, that single women with 2 kids will not be able to look after them if she should catch and die of Covid19, unemployment is now up to 22 million in the US from 350,000, they do not have the protection of the European employment laws we currently have in the UK.
I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:14 - Apr 21 with 1338 viewsGlasgowBlue

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:11 - Apr 21 by Basuco

The counter argument is, that single women with 2 kids will not be able to look after them if she should catch and die of Covid19, unemployment is now up to 22 million in the US from 350,000, they do not have the protection of the European employment laws we currently have in the UK.

Completely agree with you. If we are all calm, rational and reasonably educated then the lockdown measures are sensible and correct.

Sadly, people in a more vulnerable situation aren’t thinking rationally or sensibly.

I saw a clip from Africa where people were queueing for 14 hours for food that didn’t come. As one bloke said, covid19 is taking a backseat to starvation.

Iron Lion Zion

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:26 - Apr 21 with 1335 viewsBlueNomad

Maybe some of those protesters could sell their guns and combat gear?

The protests are being stoked for political purposes. Trump only wants those states with Democrat governors “liberated” as he deliberately omitted to include those governed by Republicans. Those poor people are being used, being told their rights are being infringed whilst being set up to be infected.
I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:36 - Apr 21 with 1322 viewsElderGrizzly

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:07 - Apr 21 by GlasgowBlue

One of my 17 year old daughter’s had an after school job in a call centre before the lockdown. When we went unti lockdown she started working from home and her company gut a contract to pass in details of Americans who were struggling financially because if the crisis.

She had to quit after just three days as she was getting 8 hours a day if abuse and heartbreaking stories if people who have been put on the scrap heap with absolutely no finically help from the government.

She had single mothers needing money that day to stop being evicted. The situation over there seems horrific.

Its also political rather than health led now.

Republican Governors linked to Trump were on CNN last night saying they would open their states by May 1st no matter what. One of those states is the 3rd worst in the USA for cases.

Democratic Governors were saying they would stay locked down until medical evidence says otherwise. Boston, for example still has a curfew due to the scale of the issue.
I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:36 - Apr 21 with 1321 viewsBasuco

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:07 - Apr 21 by GlasgowBlue

That is a horrific and very thought provoking story, as well as a hard life experience for such a young girl.
I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:37 - Apr 21 with 1318 viewsmrshallisfit

Yes and by leaving the EU we inevitably have to cosy up more to those cretins. That is at the heart of my contempt for Brexiteers. Their idea that everything will be OK if we just become more absorbed into the United States of America. Give me Europeans or give me Yanks. Ehhhhhhh.... Europeans every time.
I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:51 - Apr 21 with 1304 viewsGuthrum

Surely that is a charge which should be put to a government which is not making sufficient provision for looking after their own populace in a crisis. This in one of the wealthiest nations in the world?

Not used as an excuse to expose people to an illness which has killed tens of thousands in the USA alone and put hundreds of thousands more in hospital, potentially leaving many of them with life-changing health issues even after recovery.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 10:00 - Apr 21 with 1290 viewssparks

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:36 - Apr 21 by ElderGrizzly

Its also political rather than health led now.

Republican Governors linked to Trump were on CNN last night saying they would open their states by May 1st no matter what. One of those states is the 3rd worst in the USA for cases.

Democratic Governors were saying they would stay locked down until medical evidence says otherwise. Boston, for example still has a curfew due to the scale of the issue.

It has been whipped up by Trump himself.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 10:08 - Apr 21 with 1284 viewsGlasgowBlue

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:36 - Apr 21 by Basuco

That is a horrific and very thought provoking story, as well as a hard life experience for such a young girl.

I'm pissed off with the company tbh. The previous contract they had was with Sainsbury and in no time at all they were switched to dealing with people in desperate needs in the USA.

The people on the other end of the phone thought that my daughter could sort out their financial problems when all she was tasked with doing was to take their details and pass them along.

Iron Lion Zion

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 10:10 - Apr 21 with 1281 viewsBlueBadger

Do TRY to stop being a pillock about this, eh?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 10:36 - Apr 21 with 1253 viewsBlueBadger

This is the crux at the heart of the anti-vaxx and anti-lockdown movement isn't it?

I'm alright, so why should I give a short flying t0ss about everyone else?
They're ultimately luxuries for the well-off who don't have to live with the real-world consequences of their actions for those who will be affected and placed at risk by their ignorance, stupidity and selfishness.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 10:46 - Apr 21 with 1227 viewsBlueBadger

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:26 - Apr 21 by BlueNomad

Maybe some of those protesters could sell their guns and combat gear?

The protests are being stoked for political purposes. Trump only wants those states with Democrat governors “liberated” as he deliberately omitted to include those governed by Republicans. Those poor people are being used, being told their rights are being infringed whilst being set up to be infected.

What's 'brilliant' about this is a lot of these protestors is the fact that they're 'preppers' who've been happily boasting that they could survive for a good ten years in the event of the apocalypse/ turns out, they hadn't factored in the fact that they wouldn't be able to get a haircut during the apocalypse and have thrown a strop as a result.

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 11:00 - Apr 21 with 1212 viewsHarry_Palmer

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 10:36 - Apr 21 by BlueBadger

This is the crux at the heart of the anti-vaxx and anti-lockdown movement isn't it?

I'm alright, so why should I give a short flying t0ss about everyone else?
They're ultimately luxuries for the well-off who don't have to live with the real-world consequences of their actions for those who will be affected and placed at risk by their ignorance, stupidity and selfishness.

If trying to understand where other people are coming from and having empathy for people who are REALLY struggling in the States makes me a pillock, then yes I plead guilty Badger.

The way I see it is that a lot of people are anti-lockdown because they are desperate, i'm not sure which group of people you are alluding to, I presume you are just seeing people that you perceive to not be struggling but are selfish and want to risk everybody else's health. I'm sure there are a few of those people but I think there are many more that fit into the category I describe, see Glassers post for evidence.

I think we are both largely looking at this from a place of concern and empathy, just from a different angle. I just choose not call you names for your viewpoint, but each to their own..
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 11:08]
I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 11:04 - Apr 21 with 1204 viewsHarry_Palmer

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:11 - Apr 21 by Basuco

It is a counter argument but not one that really stands up in my view. You now have in excess of 20 million people facing serious poverty in the US while the chances of a reasonably healthy person dying from C19 are still very very small. Maybe that single Mum would prefer to have the choice to still earn money and take her chances with C19 as opposed to not being able to put food on her table for her children.
I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 11:08 - Apr 21 with 1193 viewsHarry_Palmer

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 09:51 - Apr 21 by Guthrum

Surely that is a charge which should be put to a government which is not making sufficient provision for looking after their own populace in a crisis. This in one of the wealthiest nations in the world?

Not used as an excuse to expose people to an illness which has killed tens of thousands in the USA alone and put hundreds of thousands more in hospital, potentially leaving many of them with life-changing health issues even after recovery.

That is a different argument and while I agree that the US Government should have better provision it doesn't help people in the here and now. All I am saying is I understand why many are protesting and would prefer to regain the right to earn a living. Apologies, my down vote was accidental.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 11:10]
I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 11:25 - Apr 21 with 1155 viewsBlueBadger

I hope the healthcare workers in those US states... on 11:00 - Apr 21 by Harry_Palmer

If trying to understand where other people are coming from and having empathy for people who are REALLY struggling in the States makes me a pillock, then yes I plead guilty Badger.

The way I see it is that a lot of people are anti-lockdown because they are desperate, i'm not sure which group of people you are alluding to, I presume you are just seeing people that you perceive to not be struggling but are selfish and want to risk everybody else's health. I'm sure there are a few of those people but I think there are many more that fit into the category I describe, see Glassers post for evidence.

I think we are both largely looking at this from a place of concern and empathy, just from a different angle. I just choose not call you names for your viewpoint, but each to their own..
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 11:08]

Most of the people protesting lockdown in the US are throwing tantrums because they can't get a haircut, they're not bothered about people's health or being in poverty. The US is a toxic blend of ignorance, stupidity and selfishness right now, from government failure to support its poorest to the president encouraging people to go out and die in order to protect the interests of billionaires and are actively fuelling the idiots on the street with its poisonous rhetoric.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024