Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a 11:21 - Apr 21 with 1594 viewspatrickswell

Portman Road.

I was out most of the evening, but came back to find it was 3-1 Norwich with about 15 minutes left. Checked the final score about 20 minutes later and knew it was going to be a long, hard road ahead.

It’s close but I still rate the bulk of the Town side who represented us between 2009-12 to be more worthy of contempt than the current incarnation. Those players were capable of better but lacked desire/focus and we paid for it. Cheers for that McAuley, Delaney, Leabitter etc. I’m sure the depths you plunged here stood you in good stead to become the far superior players you subsequently became. That’s all we’ve mostly been good for in the Evans era for most footballers - a pay packet and a footballing primal scream session. Get all your angst, self-doubt and baggage out of your system in front of the increasingly numbed Suffolk crowd, and then tear it up, refreshed elsewhere. For us, a race to the bottom in which the players and managers of that era fired the starting pistol.

Happy anniversary, everyone. And sorry to be such a downer.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 11:25]
It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:34 - Apr 21 with 1535 viewsGeoffSentence

To be fair to McAuley, he did score a very well taken goal in that game.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 12:18 - Apr 21 with 1488 viewsPJH

Fortunately for me that season was when I was on my Keane induced absence from Portman Road and I was in fact on holiday in Scotland that night and I don't think I even knew the result until the next day.
It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 12:22 - Apr 21 with 1482 viewsSuperblue95

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:34 - Apr 21 by GeoffSentence

To be fair to McAuley, he did score a very well taken goal in that game.

To be even fairer to McAuley, he doesn’t deserve to be compared with the gutless Delaney and forever underperforming Leadbitter. He was actually good for us unlike the other two

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 13:16 - Apr 21 with 1409 viewsRadlett_blue

I would agree that the 2009-12 period was the one in which Town's players collectively performed massively below their level of ability. Plenty of players who had decent careers before or after their time at Town, starting with 2009-10:
Wright(R)
Wright (D)
Delaney
McCauley
Rosenior
Leadbitter
Norris
Colback
Edwards
Counago
Walters
Priskin
Stead
Wickham
All of those played 20+ games that season. Just shows what a hopeless manager Keane was to finish 15th with that squad and no wonder Evans began to lose confidence in allowing his managers to spend money.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 13:33 - Apr 21 with 1379 viewsBlueBadger

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 12:22 - Apr 21 by Superblue95

To be even fairer to McAuley, he doesn’t deserve to be compared with the gutless Delaney and forever underperforming Leadbitter. He was actually good for us unlike the other two

I think you could call Delaney many things, but 'gutless' isn't one of them. He's the sort of no-nonsense team player that Mick McCarthy would have loved.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 13:35 - Apr 21 with 1372 viewsBlueBadger

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 13:16 - Apr 21 by Radlett_blue

I would agree that the 2009-12 period was the one in which Town's players collectively performed massively below their level of ability. Plenty of players who had decent careers before or after their time at Town, starting with 2009-10:
Wright(R)
Wright (D)
Delaney
McCauley
Rosenior
Leadbitter
Norris
Colback
Edwards
Counago
Walters
Priskin
Stead
Wickham
All of those played 20+ games that season. Just shows what a hopeless manager Keane was to finish 15th with that squad and no wonder Evans began to lose confidence in allowing his managers to spend money.

Which is why Keane is our second worst ever manager after Lambert. Keane's utter waste of a huge transfer budget sowed the seed of Evans' current approach to supporting his managers.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 13:35 - Apr 21 with 1370 viewsRadlett_blue

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 13:33 - Apr 21 by BlueBadger

I think you could call Delaney many things, but 'gutless' isn't one of them. He's the sort of no-nonsense team player that Mick McCarthy would have loved.

Unfortunately, football genius Roy Keane called Delaney "a full back".

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 22:57 - Apr 21 with 1248 viewsMach_foreignBlue

That game. The part of Jewells mission to 'sort the mess after Keane'.

First and foremost he wanted to be liked by players, fans, media etc etc. He wouldn't want to upset the 'skipper' in David Norris by stripping him off captaincy. Yep, Norris was the one against local rivals despite telling the club : 'I am off to Portsmouth if you don't give me at least a new 3 yrs deal'. Norris' mind was somewhere else and he ought to have been stripped of captaincy......But no, sweet sycophant Jewell didn't want to upset him.

Another one. Our no.1 in Fulop really good goalkeeper at this level had mysteriously been dropped by Jewell a few weeks before this game and we had Lee-Barrett our no.3 between the sticks..... against the local rivals ! Our no.3 in the goal and no.1 on the bench !

4 days later we got battered again at Swansea and all of sudden Jewell brought Fulop out of wilderness for the last two games of the season (why???) before getting rid of him in the summer.

And then in the following summer we went from 3 permanent goalkeepers to 2 from which our first choice goalie was the one with 24 h re-call clause. Another part of 'sorting the Keanes mess' that includes long list of heavy, demoralising defeats, players taking piss out of the club and their professional duties with Bullard on the 'top' of that list.

Jewell really was our worst ever manager by far and we may never recovered from that. But despite his disastrous spell he can't be classified as the worst one in the eyes of some, because......he wanted to be liked and sweet towards the players.
I said he was because he has been 'surpassed' by Hurst and Lambert.

As for that 1-5 game it was a massive part of amazing Norwichs recovery. Their club was brought back from its knees by their powerful CEO in David McNally and they had a real good, strong characters in Holt or Hoolahan. Compare it to our sh1tehouses and ponces we have in the team. What bloody characters and leaders have we got in our team? No-one.

Plenty of bad factors. We can easily predict Lambingo and Chambingo when we lose games. Our manager and skipper = both excellent OFF THE PITCH. Our manager using Leeds and Sheffield Utd having spent years in this league as a standard excuse for his ineptitude, our skipper whose mistakes and poor performances cost us points and goals in the recent years yet he does make up for that by talking this or that in his interviews.

And to top it off we have another player this utter sh1tehouse : https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/skuse-insists-ipswich-town-season-not-dead-1-655572

From top to 10th within six weeks which is frankly embarrassing and he thinks he can make up for that by the nonsense he spouts off. Just like countless stupid interviews he has been giving for a few years particularly in the relegation season. They haven't thrown the towel as he says, happy days !!! What an inspiration he is !

Hate it or not you have to admire recovery Norwich made as a club from League One. They had an ambitious, ruthless board and players playing for the shirt. Wish we had players like that.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 23:03]
Login to get fewer ads

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 10:26 - Apr 22 with 1087 viewsRadlett_blue

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 22:57 - Apr 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

First and foremost he wanted to be liked by players, fans, media etc etc. He wouldn't want to upset the 'skipper' in David Norris by stripping him off captaincy. Yep, Norris was the one against local rivals despite telling the club : 'I am off to Portsmouth if you don't give me at least a new 3 yrs deal'. Norris' mind was somewhere else and he ought to have been stripped of captaincy......But no, sweet sycophant Jewell didn't want to upset him.

Another one. Our no.1 in Fulop really good goalkeeper at this level had mysteriously been dropped by Jewell a few weeks before this game and we had Lee-Barrett our no.3 between the sticks..... against the local rivals ! Our no.3 in the goal and no.1 on the bench !

4 days later we got battered again at Swansea and all of sudden Jewell brought Fulop out of wilderness for the last two games of the season (why???) before getting rid of him in the summer.

And then in the following summer we went from 3 permanent goalkeepers to 2 from which our first choice goalie was the one with 24 h re-call clause. Another part of 'sorting the Keanes mess' that includes long list of heavy, demoralising defeats, players taking piss out of the club and their professional duties with Bullard on the 'top' of that list.

Jewell really was our worst ever manager by far and we may never recovered from that. But despite his disastrous spell he can't be classified as the worst one in the eyes of some, because......he wanted to be liked and sweet towards the players.

As for that 1-5 game it was a massive part of amazing Norwichs recovery. Their club was brought back from its knees by their powerful CEO in David McNally and they had a real good, strong characters in Holt or Hoolahan. Compare it to our sh1tehouses and ponces we have in the team. What bloody characters and leaders have we got in our team? No-one.

Plenty of bad factors. We can easily predict Lambingo and Chambingo when we lose games. Our manager and skipper = both excellent OFF THE PITCH. Our manager using Leeds and Sheffield Utd having spent years in this league as a standard excuse for his ineptitude, our skipper whose mistakes and poor performances cost us points and goals in the recent years yet he does make up for that by talking this or that in his interviews.

And to top it off we have another player this utter sh1tehouse : https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/skuse-insists-ipswich-town-season-not-dead-1-655572

From top to 10th within six weeks which is frankly embarrassing and he thinks he can make up for that by the nonsense he spouts off. Just like countless stupid interviews he has been giving for a few years particularly in the relegation season. They haven't thrown the towel as he says, happy days !!! What an inspiration he is !

Hate it or not you have to admire recovery Norwich made as a club from League One. They had an ambitious, ruthless board and players playing for the shirt. Wish we had players like that.

During the 2011-12 season, Town signed 10 players permanently plus 6 loan players and either released or gave free transfers to 21 professional players. An absolutely mind blowing statistic & a sign of the huge turmoil that the Keane & Jewell appointments had created.

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:08 - Apr 22 with 1071 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 22:57 - Apr 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

Aaron Lee-Barrett was in goal for that game because he has started the previous 5 games (having come in due to injuries) during which time we had won 4 and drawn 1

In fact, coming into that game we had taken 31 points from Jewell’s 18 games in charge (9 wins, 4 draws, 5 defeats) which had been a very encouraging start - unfortunately it pretty much all unravelled from the Norwich game onwards

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:25 - Apr 22 with 1042 viewsMach_foreignBlue

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:08 - Apr 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Aaron Lee-Barrett was in goal for that game because he has started the previous 5 games (having come in due to injuries) during which time we had won 4 and drawn 1

In fact, coming into that game we had taken 31 points from Jewell’s 18 games in charge (9 wins, 4 draws, 5 defeats) which had been a very encouraging start - unfortunately it pretty much all unravelled from the Norwich game onwards

Yep those 18 games was the best Jewells spell and all of that with the squad inherited from Keane with the addition of Bullard.

Once he started implementing his own ideas it all went catastrophic and ruined the club.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2020 11:25]
It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:31 - Apr 22 with 1031 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:25 - Apr 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

Yep those 18 games was the best Jewells spell and all of that with the squad inherited from Keane with the addition of Bullard.

Once he started implementing his own ideas it all went catastrophic and ruined the club.

Ah yes I see what you did there - it was actually Keane that was responsible for that good run and presumably us being 21st when Keane was sacked that season was down to Jewell (or was that McCarthy’s doing?)

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:45 - Apr 22 with 1017 viewsRadlett_blue

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:25 - Apr 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

Yes, a classic "new manager bounce", although Bullard did make a huge difference, playing the Magilton role - getting the ball from the centre backs & then using it positively.

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:59 - Apr 22 with 1002 viewsMach_foreignBlue

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:31 - Apr 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Ah yes I see what you did there - it was actually Keane that was responsible for that good run and presumably us being 21st when Keane was sacked that season was down to Jewell (or was that McCarthy’s doing?)

You see. Aha !
It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 12:01 - Apr 22 with 992 viewsMach_foreignBlue

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:45 - Apr 22 by Radlett_blue

Yes, a classic "new manager bounce", although Bullard did make a huge difference, playing the Magilton role - getting the ball from the centre backs & then using it positively.

Even Lee Martin had a kind of 'decent spell' for us after Jewell had re-called him from Charlton. Yes that Lee Martin ha ha !
It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 13:37 - Apr 22 with 954 viewspatrickswell

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 11:08 - Apr 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Also, wouldn’t a win in that derby game have taken us to within a point or two of the Top 6? I definitely remember that the fixture carried additional incentives to both sides beyond local bragging rights.
It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 13:56 - Apr 22 with 934 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s the ninth anniversary of Paul Lambert’s only truly convincing display a on 13:37 - Apr 22 by patrickswell

Also, wouldn’t a win in that derby game have taken us to within a point or two of the Top 6? I definitely remember that the fixture carried additional incentives to both sides beyond local bragging rights.

Sort of - we were in 12th, 6 points off Leeds in 6th but with only 4 games left in the season clawing that back was always unlikely

The main motivation on our side, from the fans side at least, was that with Norwich in 3rd a win for us would have struck a significant blow to their promotion hopes. Unfortunately come the end of that weekend it was Cardiff that had stumbled instead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024