Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any of our older forum users remember this? 13:36 - Apr 23 with 1227 viewsbluelagos

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/23/protests-politics-and-a-bus-hijack

Think it fair to say history proved the protesters right. They would have been vilified by many at the time, as hinted at in the report.

Wonder if anyone has any memories/recollections?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 13:38 - Apr 23 with 1193 viewsmonytowbray

Extinction Rebellion, but give it 30-50 years.

Any NHS protest in the last decade looks like it was on the right side of history RN.

Callis and Veganism vs TWTD three years ago ;)

Protesters on the left usually are right.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2020 13:39]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 13:40 - Apr 23 with 1172 viewsElephantintheRoom

I remember Peter Hain being a 'young liberal'

I also remember sports carrying on against India, despite their caste system and Australia despite their immigration system - and treatment of indigenous people.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 13:47 - Apr 23 with 1138 viewsfactual_blue

It led to this iconic image

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article784632.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Michael

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 13:49 - Apr 23 with 1135 viewsKeno

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 13:38 - Apr 23 by monytowbray

Extinction Rebellion, but give it 30-50 years.

Any NHS protest in the last decade looks like it was on the right side of history RN.

Callis and Veganism vs TWTD three years ago ;)

Protesters on the left usually are right.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2020 13:39]

you missed Fishy vs Lambert off your list

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 13:56 - Apr 23 with 1123 viewshomer_123

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 13:49 - Apr 23 by Keno

Mark Fish?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 15:20 - Apr 23 with 1073 viewsEireannach_gorm

I was at the match against Ireland at Lansdown road. I remember being astonished seeing the barbed wire around the pitch ( in those days there was actually bench seating on the sidelines ) and the huge Garda presence. The protestors threw stuff over the wall at the Lansdown rd. end where we were standing. Bernadette Devlin gave a rousing speech on a megaphone. The Irish Anti-Apartheid Movement certainly intimidated the South African team in Dublin.

https://comeheretome.com/2015/02/03/45-years-ago-the-controversial-visit-of-the-
Any of our older forum users remember this? on 15:52 - Apr 23 with 1043 viewsKeno

Dont remember but I remember Erica Roe

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 15:57 - Apr 23 with 1042 viewshomer_123

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 15:52 - Apr 23 by Keno

Dont remember but I remember Erica Roe

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 17:38 - Apr 23 with 992 viewsSwansea_Blue

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 15:57 - Apr 23 by homer_123

Always raises a smile. I'm not sure I approve of treating them as criminals when it happens in football matches. It's better than any half time 'entertainment'.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 17:58 - Apr 23 with 968 viewsDarth_Koont

To be fair, you can't have a proper 7s tournament without streakers.

Pronouns: He/Him

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 18:06 - Apr 23 with 959 viewsmonytowbray

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 13:49 - Apr 23 by Keno

Ha, to be fair he got that one right. Luckily for him.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 18:49 - Apr 23 with 931 viewsNthQldITFC

I always used to streak through hotel corridors on skiing holidays for some reason. Must have been the altitude.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 21:18 - Apr 23 with 875 viewsCrawfordsboot

I certainly do. I was at Uni in Liverpool where John Snow of Chanel 4 news led us in a sit in of the Senate in protest against Barclays operations in South Africa.

Luckily for me for my Professor at the time didn’t kick me out
Any of our older forum users remember this? on 21:27 - Apr 23 with 864 viewsbluelagos

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 21:18 - Apr 23 by Crawfordsboot

I certainly do. I was at Uni in Liverpool where John Snow of Chanel 4 news led us in a sit in of the Senate in protest against Barclays operations in South Africa.

Luckily for me for my Professor at the time didn’t kick me out

The Barclays boycott was still in place when I went to study in 88.

One of my mates (expat in Lagos) was heavily involved in the struggle as a student in Cape Town. Some of his black friends were killed and he showed me the building were one was thrown out of the windows during interogation. His death was recorded as suicide.

My mate said he was in the police station at the same time but got off with a beating, being white. Only later did he find out what happended.

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 21:43 - Apr 23 with 847 viewsCrawfordsboot

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 21:27 - Apr 23 by bluelagos

The Barclays boycott was still in place when I went to study in 88.

One of my mates (expat in Lagos) was heavily involved in the struggle as a student in Cape Town. Some of his black friends were killed and he showed me the building were one was thrown out of the windows during interogation. His death was recorded as suicide.

My mate said he was in the police station at the same time but got off with a beating, being white. Only later did he find out what happended.

Heavy stuff. In comparison we were just white privileged middle class students making ourselves obnoxious - as students do
Any of our older forum users remember this? on 21:53 - Apr 23 with 831 viewsbluelagos

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 21:43 - Apr 23 by Crawfordsboot

Heavy stuff. In comparison we were just white privileged middle class students making ourselves obnoxious - as students do

Nah, you were rebelling and standing up for a just cause in the only way available to you. Nowt wrong with that in my book. Much like the XR protestors today.

Any of our older forum users remember this? on 15:52 - Apr 24 with 737 viewsEireannach_gorm

This brings to mind a more recent dispute that actually achieved something in relation to apartheid.

This took place in Ireland in 1984 when it was neither fashionable or popular to oppose the South African regime.

( The RTE link shows how young they were, the other link is dead )
https://www.thejournal.ie/30-years-dunnes-stores-strike-1579724-Jul2014/

The Shop Steward, Karen Gearon, gave a good account of events in a recent speech.
https://themoth.org/stories/the-dunnes-stores-strikers
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024