Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Missing My Fishing. 22:58 - Apr 23 with 3247 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Looks like this is as close as i,m going to get this spring. B0ll0cks.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Missing My Fishing. on 23:27 - Apr 23 with 2307 viewsBLUEBEAT

Fishing is an interesting one.

Pretty much isolated when doing it and you could argue you’re obtaining food whilst getting fresh air at the same time.

Poll: W or W

Missing My Fishing. on 03:53 - Apr 24 with 2253 viewsSpruceMoose

Can't you just choose where you go wisely? There's been so many days where I've been on the bank and not seen a soul.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Missing My Fishing. on 06:23 - Apr 24 with 2230 viewsbrogansnose

I'm struggling with this. I mainly fly fish and my season started April 1st. The reality of this is that I drive to a remote spot then work my way wading through a river and I rarely bump into other anglers over the course of a season. I consider this as far less risky than the work I'm doing atm or even going out to get food. Trouble is, Angling Trust and the government say that we can't, which quite frankly is cobblers given that angling is pretty much a solitary pastime unless its a match or a crowded commercial. Its alright though for people to go walking along river banks though.
Missing My Fishing. on 07:11 - Apr 24 with 2209 viewsElephantintheRoom

Maybe June 16th is a date to look forward to?

Its a bit like sitting on a park bench at the moment.... a deranged scientist makes up some rules and we all have to follow them unlesss we don't as there is nobody to stop us anyway.

Its all very odd - but not as life changing as say running a garden centre where your life's work is being destroyed while much of the same products are sold by supermarkets... I dont suppose the deranged scientists thought about that one either.

TRy fly fishing when we are allowed back out again to do hobbies that dont involve lycra....

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Missing My Fishing. on 07:19 - Apr 24 with 2200 viewsbluelagos

Missing My Fishing. on 23:27 - Apr 23 by BLUEBEAT

Fishing is an interesting one.

Pretty much isolated when doing it and you could argue you’re obtaining food whilst getting fresh air at the same time.

Assuming someone is fishing alone, then it is clearly not going to hurt anyone else, irrespective of what the CV stazi will tell you. (Expect the usual borderline hysterical overreactions from some)

Is it legal? Struggling to fit this one within the law. That said if you are not caught then no harm done. So I'd be discreet if I were going fishing given the way some people are intent on wasting police time by reporting neighbours for harmless activities such as going out twice for some exercise.

On a morale basis, for me I'd place it along with people getting outside to beauty spots or sitting in a park. If it is good for your mental health and wellbeing (and only you know that) then why on earth not? We are all individual and we all know how we are feeling.

But it will upset some people clearly, witness the reactions of some people at the idea of others exercising for long periods, or going for country walks.

I genuinely think we will look back at this period and recognise the hysterical over reactions of many people. The idea that sitting on a river bank, alone, fishing, is harmful to anyone is to put it politely, somewhat bizarre.

My thoughts are basically don't let other people's paranoia stop you doing something that is harmless and in your own best interests. And if it upsets others (Who may be struggling with anxiety) I'd simply be discreet.

Others' may not agree, but eh, such is life. At a time like this, some solitude, relaxation, de-stessing is important for everyone, and if fishing is your thing, then why not?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Missing My Fishing. on 08:03 - Apr 24 with 2164 viewsElephantintheRoom

Missing My Fishing. on 07:19 - Apr 24 by bluelagos

Assuming someone is fishing alone, then it is clearly not going to hurt anyone else, irrespective of what the CV stazi will tell you. (Expect the usual borderline hysterical overreactions from some)

Is it legal? Struggling to fit this one within the law. That said if you are not caught then no harm done. So I'd be discreet if I were going fishing given the way some people are intent on wasting police time by reporting neighbours for harmless activities such as going out twice for some exercise.

On a morale basis, for me I'd place it along with people getting outside to beauty spots or sitting in a park. If it is good for your mental health and wellbeing (and only you know that) then why on earth not? We are all individual and we all know how we are feeling.

But it will upset some people clearly, witness the reactions of some people at the idea of others exercising for long periods, or going for country walks.

I genuinely think we will look back at this period and recognise the hysterical over reactions of many people. The idea that sitting on a river bank, alone, fishing, is harmful to anyone is to put it politely, somewhat bizarre.

My thoughts are basically don't let other people's paranoia stop you doing something that is harmless and in your own best interests. And if it upsets others (Who may be struggling with anxiety) I'd simply be discreet.

Others' may not agree, but eh, such is life. At a time like this, some solitude, relaxation, de-stessing is important for everyone, and if fishing is your thing, then why not?

Well there are a couple of good reasons not to... all fishing is controlled by the government by their licensing system and they tell you you cant.

And not many of us own a river, pond or lake.... they tend to be owned by landowners, clubs and societies... and if you break their rules you are out.

Ive started a new hobby.....fish spotting.... the unmolested trout, chub and dace in the upstream river cam are quite fun to try and spot on a short interlude during legal lycrawear.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Missing My Fishing. on 08:06 - Apr 24 with 2164 viewsbluelagos

Missing My Fishing. on 08:03 - Apr 24 by ElephantintheRoom

Well there are a couple of good reasons not to... all fishing is controlled by the government by their licensing system and they tell you you cant.

And not many of us own a river, pond or lake.... they tend to be owned by landowners, clubs and societies... and if you break their rules you are out.

Ive started a new hobby.....fish spotting.... the unmolested trout, chub and dace in the upstream river cam are quite fun to try and spot on a short interlude during legal lycrawear.

Ah, now I am well out of my knowledge zone. Not got a scooby on the licensing system...

Missing My Fishing. on 10:06 - Apr 24 with 2133 viewsLord_Lucan

Sea and brackish water fishing is not controlled by the government.

No license required.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Missing My Fishing. on 10:27 - Apr 24 with 2120 viewsDarth_Koont

Can't you sit on the sofa holding your rod? Then get your partner to give it a tug every 20 minutes.

Pronouns: He/Him

Missing My Fishing. on 10:42 - Apr 24 with 2095 viewsSwansea_Blue

Missing My Fishing. on 06:23 - Apr 24 by brogansnose

I'm struggling with this. I mainly fly fish and my season started April 1st. The reality of this is that I drive to a remote spot then work my way wading through a river and I rarely bump into other anglers over the course of a season. I consider this as far less risky than the work I'm doing atm or even going out to get food. Trouble is, Angling Trust and the government say that we can't, which quite frankly is cobblers given that angling is pretty much a solitary pastime unless its a match or a crowded commercial. Its alright though for people to go walking along river banks though.

I agree. Although it's presumably being classed as the same as most other solitary sports/pastimes. It's less the activity that's the issue, more they just don't want people moving around. Even if the risk is very low, just by being out longer increases the chances of an accident/incident that would need the emergency services. And it would encourage others to go out more too, so a bit of a snowball effect. Allowing people a short period of exercise keeps a bit more of a lid on movement.

It's borderline stuff though and highly frustrating. I tend to do activities that avoid other people so could find no end of things to do.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Missing My Fishing. on 10:43 - Apr 24 with 2093 viewsSwansea_Blue

Of course with fishing the way to approach this is just pretend that it's the close season. TWTD.

Missing My Fishing. on 10:50 - Apr 24 with 2089 viewsfooters

Missing My Fishing. on 10:27 - Apr 24 by Darth_Koont

Can't you sit on the sofa holding your rod? Then get your partner to give it a tug every 20 minutes.

Euphemism-tastic!

I watched a few John Wilson episodes t'other day as I was missing a bit of the old angling. Very relaxing. Shame that mother gave away all my coarse and sea rods, reels, tackle, etc while making space in the garage.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Missing My Fishing. on 10:54 - Apr 24 with 2084 viewsSwansea_Blue

Missing My Fishing. on 10:50 - Apr 24 by footers

Euphemism-tastic!

I watched a few John Wilson episodes t'other day as I was missing a bit of the old angling. Very relaxing. Shame that mother gave away all my coarse and sea rods, reels, tackle, etc while making space in the garage.

Ho, ho, what a super fish. Wilson was a legend of my formative years.

I used to be a mad for fishing when I was in East Anglia, but have barely touched a rod in 15 years. This year I was going to change that, but best made plans eh?

Missing My Fishing. on 10:59 - Apr 24 with 2073 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Missing My Fishing. on 10:42 - Apr 24 by Swansea_Blue

I agree. Although it's presumably being classed as the same as most other solitary sports/pastimes. It's less the activity that's the issue, more they just don't want people moving around. Even if the risk is very low, just by being out longer increases the chances of an accident/incident that would need the emergency services. And it would encourage others to go out more too, so a bit of a snowball effect. Allowing people a short period of exercise keeps a bit more of a lid on movement.

It's borderline stuff though and highly frustrating. I tend to do activities that avoid other people so could find no end of things to do.

I absolutely get all the points you are making SB.
Am currently walking the dog along the Belstead Brook. There are parents with kids playing in the stream, clambering over fallen trees etc. Good to see them outside keeping their distance from others and at least having a small degree of normality in their lives, so, if I could fish a place some where far from the madding crowd, would just love to wile away a few hours. Sighs.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Missing My Fishing. on 11:04 - Apr 24 with 2054 viewsfooters

Missing My Fishing. on 10:59 - Apr 24 by StochesStotasBlewe

I absolutely get all the points you are making SB.
Am currently walking the dog along the Belstead Brook. There are parents with kids playing in the stream, clambering over fallen trees etc. Good to see them outside keeping their distance from others and at least having a small degree of normality in their lives, so, if I could fish a place some where far from the madding crowd, would just love to wile away a few hours. Sighs.

I'm sure you'll find a plaice where you won't see a sole.

Angle on, dood!

Missing My Fishing. on 11:06 - Apr 24 with 2051 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Missing My Fishing. on 11:04 - Apr 24 by footers

Angle on, dood!

Ruddy nice of you to say so dear chap.

Missing My Fishing. on 12:00 - Apr 24 with 2002 viewslongtimefan

There was quite a lot of charged debate in local fishing clubs as to whether the social distancing rules prohibited fishing initially. However, the Angling Trust finally ruled that it was covered, and as a consequence the local clubs have come down firmly in line. As Elephant says, most clubs have made it a banning offense if caught.
Missing My Fishing. on 12:59 - Apr 24 with 1980 viewswellyblue

Missing My Fishing. on 11:04 - Apr 24 by footers

Angle on, dood!

Those were the dace...
Missing My Fishing. on 14:05 - Apr 24 with 1933 viewsLeaky

Missing My Fishing. on 06:23 - Apr 24 by brogansnose

Agree with what you are saying. However is he governments that if they allow one group to carry out there pastime others will take advantage. Ei. lots of people will se it as opportunity to have a walk miles from where they live to allow them a stroll by the riverbank. Plus you will a large uptake of new angler's.
Missing My Fishing. on 14:10 - Apr 24 with 1929 viewsLeaky

Missing My Fishing. on 10:27 - Apr 24 by Darth_Koont

I think most of us already that!
Missing My Fishing. on 14:12 - Apr 24 with 1924 viewsSwansea_Blue

Missing My Fishing. on 12:59 - Apr 24 by wellyblue

Those were the dace...

I'm sure if Hoppy see this eel love it.

Missing My Fishing. on 14:12 - Apr 24 with 1923 viewsLord_Lucan

Missing My Fishing. on 14:05 - Apr 24 by Leaky

Agree with what you are saying. However is he governments that if they allow one group to carry out there pastime others will take advantage. Ei. lots of people will se it as opportunity to have a walk miles from where they live to allow them a stroll by the riverbank. Plus you will a large uptake of new angler's.

As much as I would love to chuck a few kilos of corn out I don't think allowing fishing is a good idea. During this lockdown never has "Give em an inch and they'll take a mile" been so true.

People are basically idiots and using any excuse to get out, I have to admit although I have been very good I am dropping into The Range to buy some play sand on the way home so I am not without some blame - however I wouldn't act like some imbeciles are and it seems to be mostly libtard southeners who are doing it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Missing My Fishing. on 14:12 - Apr 24 with 1921 viewsbluelagos

Missing My Fishing. on 14:12 - Apr 24 by Swansea_Blue

I'm sure if Hoppy see this eel love it.

For Cod's sake

Missing My Fishing. on 14:14 - Apr 24 with 1918 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Missing My Fishing. on 14:05 - Apr 24 by Leaky

The Netherlands have allowed coarse fishing to continue in rural areas within social distancig rules. No matches or groups obviously. Looking on enviously.

Missing My Fishing. on 14:18 - Apr 24 with 1913 viewsfooters

Missing My Fishing. on 14:12 - Apr 24 by Lord_Lucan

As much as I would love to chuck a few kilos of corn out I don't think allowing fishing is a good idea. During this lockdown never has "Give em an inch and they'll take a mile" been so true.

People are basically idiots and using any excuse to get out, I have to admit although I have been very good I am dropping into The Range to buy some play sand on the way home so I am not without some blame - however I wouldn't act like some imbeciles are and it seems to be mostly libtard southeners who are doing it.

If fishing were given the green light there'd be all manner of first-time hipster anglers messing up the lakes and streams. Now I'm used to seeing dodgy clothes and facial hair among anglers, but handlebar 'taches and three-quarter length jeggings are a step too far.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024