Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rethinking the football pyramid 15:59 - Apr 24 with 1374 viewsmonytowbray

With COVID likely to wipe out clubs and bringing the unfairness of football to the limelight (finally), I was thinking, what would you do to fix it?

I've been giving some thought to the NFL setup and what we could learn, whilst keeping some level of tradition within...

- 8 different leagues of 12 clubs, all at the same level, there is no promotion or relegation between these leagues.

- Each league is shuffled every season based on previous season's performance to ensure those who performed well compete against each other and those who didn't also fight amongst each other.

- Each side plays the other teams in their league twice - home and away.

- On top of that, each team plays 11 teams in other leagues home and away. How this is worked out each season could be based on locality and previous performance (sort of like grading).

- At the end of the season, the winners of each league win a major honour as divisional champions.

- The 8 sides who finish bottom of their leagues enter some kind of play off mini league to stay up, with 5 teams surviving. The remaining 3 are relegated.

The football pyramid from the Conference down remains the same.

- The top 8 clubs who won their leagues then complete in a play off to be champions of England at the end of the season. This is the HONOUR OF HONOURS in English football, like the Superbowl. It replaces the FA Cup.

Now, I know this may sound a bit mad to those who hate MERICA sport. But here me out on the pros of this...

- It will mean more likelihood than the FA Cup of not only giant killer games each season, but giant killing seasons. The Leicester fairytale could happen more often. Everyone says the FA Cup has lost its magic anyway and it's a chore to most clubs/fans.

- It will mean smaller clubs have more chance to make good TV money straight from the conference and across the top (revised) 96 clubs. Particularly when Wycombe host Chelsea twice a season.

- MORE LOCAL DERBIES! The locality factor of fixture matching could do this. Doesn't matter what league you're in anymore, old scores will always be settled nationwide.

- The league reshuffles each season would be great for ground collectors.

- And finally, ITFC might be less sh1t, although knowing our luck we'll then slide down to the Conference South LOL.

Would be keen to hear thoughts on this. It's a total pipe dream though so who cares?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:03 - Apr 24 with 1334 viewsPecker

You or somebody posted this about a week ago.
Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:07 - Apr 24 with 1326 viewsIllinoisblue

Waaaaay too long didn’t read

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:09 - Apr 24 with 1316 viewsmonytowbray

Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:03 - Apr 24 by Pecker

You or somebody posted this about a week ago.

I vaguely mentioned it yes, but this is my big plan.

Callis for FA president.

TWTD never forgets…

Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:11 - Apr 24 with 1313 viewsmonytowbray

Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:07 - Apr 24 by Illinoisblue

Waaaaay too long didn’t read

The sad thing is that’s the summarised version too.

TWTD never forgets…

Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:21 - Apr 24 with 1276 viewsDurovigutum

Some problems are immediate. An East Anglia league with (for example) us, Norwich, Colchester, Chelmsford, Peterborough, West Ham, Southend would be very predictable at the moment. The US system works because the bottom team gets first draft pick - can you imagine what would happen with FFP if we had an academy system that looked that different to what we have now?

Not saying it's a bad idea, but the premier league would have to go bankrupt for it to happen...
Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:22 - Apr 24 with 1271 viewsJ2BLUE

Sounds horrific. Would suck so much momentum out of the game IMO. I hate leagues of less than 16 teams.

I would like to just see a much fairer split of tv money. The Premier League need the football pyramid and should acknowledge that. Obviously they won't so really we are looking at a one time emergency measure. I'm hoping the government bail out the football league and then impose a one off windfall tax on the Premier League to pay for it. If they have £1.5bn sitting in the bank then I don't see the harm in a one off payment of £100m-£200m to protect the game down the pyramid/national leagues etc.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:25 - Apr 24 with 1258 viewsMullet

92 teams. Top 20 in the Prem.

TV money is distributed evenly per team per division. PFA subs, fines, etc. are done by % of turnover for each club/player.

Norwich are relegated immediately. Liverpool get the title with a big chip shaped asterisk next to it forever more.

Anyone who has broken FFP in the last decade is immediately docked points, transfer embargoed until their social "debt" is paid off and those who go bust must be fan owned using the German model.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:25 - Apr 24 with 1246 viewsmonytowbray

Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:22 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

Sounds horrific. Would suck so much momentum out of the game IMO. I hate leagues of less than 16 teams.

I would like to just see a much fairer split of tv money. The Premier League need the football pyramid and should acknowledge that. Obviously they won't so really we are looking at a one time emergency measure. I'm hoping the government bail out the football league and then impose a one off windfall tax on the Premier League to pay for it. If they have £1.5bn sitting in the bank then I don't see the harm in a one off payment of £100m-£200m to protect the game down the pyramid/national leagues etc.

That's more likely the solution we'll get if any, but i feel like it also just mitigates the problem to favour big clubs. We could have a real shake up right now.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:52 - Apr 24 with 1165 viewsPinewoodblue

it is clear you have spent a long time working this out but the difference in quality between clubs make it impossible and there is no way the haves ( current EPL) are going share money fairly with the have nots.

Will play along with the basic idea and come with something later.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:58 - Apr 24 with 1139 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I think the lower a club is the better that works for them.

If you took the top 8-10 from the Premier League and they had their own competition, maybe with more matches in Europe involved too, then it might work. That would then give the potential for promotion from the leagues in a similar way to how you describe the relegation too.

It would certainly increase the potential excitement and movement and mean more local derbies.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Rethinking the football pyramid on 17:02 - Apr 24 with 1121 viewsPecker

Rethinking the football pyramid on 16:09 - Apr 24 by monytowbray

I vaguely mentioned it yes, but this is my big plan.

Callis for FA president.

You should certainly be up for some kind of award.
Rethinking the football pyramid on 21:39 - Apr 24 with 964 viewsPinewoodblue

Here you go Callis. Increase the size of the Premier League to 24 clubs. Split them into 3 division of equal stature.home and away games against each team in your division. At the end of the first series if games the top 4 teams in each division become the elite league playing for the title and European places. The bottom 4 from each division become the survival league fighting to avoid relegation. 36 game season

Relegation to Championship, 4 teams.

Championship along same lines but 30 clubs., split into 3 divisions etc etc. 46 game season. Promoted to Premier League 4, relegated to lower league 6.

Two lower leagues of equal stature split on a regional north/south basis with a format same as Championship requiring 60 clubs 46 game seasons 3 teams from North and 3 from South promoted.

Made up of current. EPL (20) EFL(72) plus 20 teams from current national league.

Would set minimum requirements for promoted teams, to Premier League 30,000 capacity.

I only spent 30-40 minutes on this .

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Rethinking the football pyramid on 22:56 - Apr 24 with 913 viewstextbackup

sounds really American and really sht

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Rethinking the football pyramid on 07:52 - Apr 25 with 764 viewsHerbivore

My suggestion would be to use football's vast wealth to ensure clubs survive and carry on with our existing league structure.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024