Quantcast
Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fishing stories 19:25 - Apr 24 with 1699 viewsWestover

As we have a fishing thread going I wondered if anyone has fishing stories?.
Many many years ago I fished Holbrook lake and in I think it was 1967 I caught a 4lb 8oz Perch, fish of a lifetime, I also fished Shangri la caravan park most Saturday nights, one night a Carp was sucking my floating bread crust for an hour before taking it, it was only a 12lb leather but something I'll always remember.

Any one on here fished either of these lakes and is Holbrook lake still there it was small but shallow.

Fishing stories on 19:36 - Apr 24 with 1258 viewsFenland_Blue

Many years ago we use to love fishing in the fens during school holidays, we thought to try a new spot which involved walking across a muddy cow field but due to the hot weather we guessed, that it would be fine.

It wasn't and we got stuck, slowly sinking down the more we struggled, after sinking down to our knees and what seemed like hours we managed to struggle out, minus our trainers which disappeared into the cold quicksand like mud.

After a shoeless bike ride home, we had the mother of all b0llockings from our mum, more annoyed that we lost our trainers!
[Post edited 24 Apr 19:48]

Fishing stories on 19:46 - Apr 24 with 1253 viewsLord_Lucan

I went fishing in Caspe, Spain which ended up with the Spanish seeking an International arrest warrant.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: If you was sad enough to take a banner to football would you

Fishing stories on 04:27 - Apr 25 with 1134 viewsTheJam

About 1986, in mid teens, I was fishing the lake in Ickworth park (national trust).
A photographer turned up with two models to do a top shelf mag "shoot".
Was a bit distracting, if I'm honest.

Poll: Mick in/out v Brexit in/out

Fishing stories on 09:46 - Apr 25 with 1074 viewspinewoodblueboy

Back in the 70,s, our school entered a team in the National Fishing Championship. We got through 2 qualifying rounds, first at our "home " venue on the Waveney at Hoxne, then the coldest match i ever fished in on the Stour near Flatford.
The final was on the Avon at various stretches around Warwickshire, about 600 young anglers from 60 teams of 10. From memory, i think our school came about 40th, personally caught a few chub and bits, but a great experience for all of us.
Moved over to Warwickshire some years later and spent many a happy hour on the severn meadows and stannels sections of the river.
Fishing stories on 09:46 - Apr 25 with 1074 viewsNthQldITFC

Fishing stories on 04:27 - Apr 25 by TheJam

About 1986, in mid teens, I was fishing the lake in Ickworth park (national trust).
A photographer turned up with two models to do a top shelf mag "shoot".
Was a bit distracting, if I'm honest.

Played havoc with your maggot, no doubt.

The only thing I know is that I might be wrong about everything else.
Poll: Are binary opinions good or bad?

Fishing stories on 09:53 - Apr 25 with 1071 viewsLord_Lucan

Fishing stories on 09:46 - Apr 25 by pinewoodblueboy

Back in the 70,s, our school entered a team in the National Fishing Championship. We got through 2 qualifying rounds, first at our "home " venue on the Waveney at Hoxne, then the coldest match i ever fished in on the Stour near Flatford.
The final was on the Avon at various stretches around Warwickshire, about 600 young anglers from 60 teams of 10. From memory, i think our school came about 40th, personally caught a few chub and bits, but a great experience for all of us.
Moved over to Warwickshire some years later and spent many a happy hour on the severn meadows and stannels sections of the river.

Did you use to fish Redgrave or Weybred? I never had any luck with either of them. There used to be a nice little pit at Roydon.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Fishing stories on 09:55 - Apr 25 with 1068 viewsWestover

Fishing stories on 09:46 - Apr 25 by NthQldITFC

Played havoc with your maggot, no doubt.

Might have been his Pinkie.
Fishing stories on 09:58 - Apr 25 with 1061 viewsLord_Lucan

Fishing stories on 09:55 - Apr 25 by Westover

Might have been his Pinkie.

Mine is now a chrysalis

Login to get fewer ads

Fishing stories on 10:03 - Apr 25 with 1055 viewspinewoodblueboy

Fishing stories on 09:53 - Apr 25 by Lord_Lucan

Did you use to fish Redgrave or Weybred? I never had any luck with either of them. There used to be a nice little pit at Roydon.

Redgrave lake had some cracking roach and bream, winter was better for the roach but that was mid 70,s.
Roydon sandpit down the lane near the garage?
Weybread was a bit hit and miss for me tbh.
Fishing stories on 10:09 - Apr 25 with 1047 viewsLord_Lucan

Fishing stories on 10:03 - Apr 25 by pinewoodblueboy

Redgrave lake had some cracking roach and bream, winter was better for the roach but that was mid 70,s.
Roydon sandpit down the lane near the garage?
Weybread was a bit hit and miss for me tbh.

I got a massive bag full of bream there once but I hate the lazy, slimy feckers. More often though I blanked as I was forced to use a bait too big for the Bream to annoy me.

I did get a fair size pike out of there once when going for eels.

Never liked it there though and they had a miserable women bailiff.

There used to be some great Crucian action in Diss Mere if you got that spot behind the bookshop..
[Post edited 25 Apr 10:22]

Fishing stories on 10:24 - Apr 25 with 1032 viewspinewoodblueboy

Fishing stories on 10:09 - Apr 25 by Lord_Lucan

I got a massive bag full of bream there once but I hate the lazy, slimy feckers. More often though I blanked as I was forced to use a bait too big for the Bream to annoy me.

I did get a fair size pike out of there once when going for eels.

Never liked it there though and they had a miserable women bailiff.

There used to be some great Crucian action in Diss Mere if you got that spot behind the bookshop..
[Post edited 25 Apr 10:22]

Diss Mere behind the old Kings Head Hotel was my favourite spot. Deep and some great crucians.
100lb catfish caught in there about 5 years ago.
Fishing stories on 10:43 - Apr 25 with 1020 viewsLord_Lucan

Fishing stories on 10:24 - Apr 25 by pinewoodblueboy

Diss Mere behind the old Kings Head Hotel was my favourite spot. Deep and some great crucians.
100lb catfish caught in there about 5 years ago.

Really?

I suppose they killed the poor old beast.

Fishing stories on 12:08 - Apr 25 with 991 viewspinewoodblueboy

Fishing stories on 10:43 - Apr 25 by Lord_Lucan

Really?

I suppose they killed the poor old beast.

https://www.dissmercury.co.uk/news/fisherman-reels-in-100lb-monster-of-the-mere-
Fishing stories on 12:55 - Apr 25 with 973 viewsLord_Lucan

Fishing stories on 12:08 - Apr 25 by pinewoodblueboy

https://www.dissmercury.co.uk/news/fisherman-reels-in-100lb-monster-of-the-mere-

Good on him for putting it back but I reckon the angling society who run it were a bit p1ssed off.

No way that is 100lb though - and how did he land it if it snapped him up?

Something fishy here.

By the way, how did you get to fish behind The Kings Head? My memory of Diss is a bit wobbly but I thought when facing the Mere from the public bit the furthest right you could fish was by the willows next to the book shop?

Fishing stories on 13:10 - Apr 25 with 967 viewsSwansea_Blue

Holbrook was one of my favourite places when I started out as a kid. Fished there for a few years before it changed hands and the new owner closed it.

Poll: So then cake aficionados, which is your favourite part of Battenberg?

Fishing stories on 13:12 - Apr 25 with 966 viewspinewoodblueboy

Fishing stories on 12:55 - Apr 25 by Lord_Lucan

Good on him for putting it back but I reckon the angling society who run it were a bit p1ssed off.

No way that is 100lb though - and how did he land it if it snapped him up?

Something fishy here.

By the way, how did you get to fish behind The Kings Head? My memory of Diss is a bit wobbly but I thought when facing the Mere from the public bit the furthest right you could fish was by the willows next to the book shop?

Got reported in Angling Times as well iirc.
There has been some doubts about the reliability among some of the local anglers to be honest.
There is a car park behind the old Kings Head. You could fish down there and also a few pegs behind Blacks the chemist nearly up to Diss publishing, the book shop. Not many fished there because it was so deep close in, needed a slider float rig.
Fishing stories on 13:38 - Apr 25 with 948 viewsWestover

Fishing stories on 13:10 - Apr 25 by Swansea_Blue

Holbrook was one of my favourite places when I started out as a kid. Fished there for a few years before it changed hands and the new owner closed it.

I also was able to fish another lake near Holbrook, the road ran by it but because of trees etc that was unfishable but my uncle was a friend of the owner and he allowed us to put a small boat on it, there was a platform you could also fish from but you had to get to it by boat, we used to catch lots of skimmers and the Pike fishing as good, sorry to say we never fished it enough to find out how good it could have been.

It was a big lake anyone know the lake I'm talking about ?.

Fishing stories on 13:48 - Apr 25 with 937 viewsITFC_Forever

I’ve discovered over the years that me and fishing don’t mix.

First time trying it, me and my brother got dragged down to Ipswich docks by my step-dad to give it a try. We caught nothing.

Few years later at scout camp, I borrowed a line and bait etc of a mate and gave it a try at the lake at the camp site. I managed to catch a fish, but while trying to remove the hook from its mouth, I accidentally tore a hole through the side of its mouth / cheek.
Then when when I cast off again, as my hands were soaking wet, the rod slipped through my grasp and went in to the lake. I then had to go in after it to get it out.

Then finally when on honeymoon in The Maldives, me and the wife went on an evening fishing trip off the hotel island we were staying on. It was beautiful, sun setting, pleasantly warm, bobbing up and down on the sea etc.
Every single person on the boat (around 30-40 of us) was pulling fish out of the water like it was going out of fashion. I had a couple of bites and both times the line snapped, I was the only person on the whole sodding boat who didn’t catch anything.

Long since given it up as a bad job.

P 1022, W 444, D 257, L 321, F 1513, A 1257
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Fishing stories on 14:14 - Apr 25 with 917 viewsdeliasplums

I started fishing as a 9 year old on the Lark in Mildenhall - used to be some nice bream which fought more than the stillwater softies! Also used to do some fly fishing in the unsporting barrels at Narborough from time to time.

My favourite fishing story was after I’d moved away. For three years myself and two mates used to camp and fish at Woods End on the Broads at the start of the season. I think it was the second year when two of us got up at first light and had set up whilst our mate was still asleep. I was having a slash behind a tree as Nige started cooking some bacon but the gas ran out, he tried swapping the cylinder (those small blue Gaz jobbies) whilst one small stove was still going. He lost his grip on it, dropped it, the escaping stream of gas caught fire and set light to the brolly behind him. He managed to boot the cylinder into the river where it floated, still on fire and sailed merrily down stream (we saw it go out before it went round the bend) with a two foot flame shooting out of it. He kicked the brolly away from the tent to save that but there was only one section of green fabric left. I was horrified, helpless and then hysterical with laughter as Ed was woken by the noise, crawled out of the tent and said ‘I like your brolly Nige’ to which the reply was ‘I’m pleased you said that, it’s yours; mine’s in the car”.
[Post edited 26 Apr 19:16]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Fishing stories on 14:15 - Apr 25 with 915 viewsstrikalite

A quick story..

Couple of years ago my mate came down from Bury and we fished the Nene in a cracking spot known for decent barbel. I was fishing the next peg to him, Nothing was happening at all, so he got up to stretch his legs or something and within seconds BANG the rod was pulled into the river(he'd forgot to set his bait runner ffs)...he came charging back down the bank(it all happened within seconds) and desperately dived to try and grasp the rod handle but without joy..it'd gone, I couldn't hold back my laugh but at the same time we had to do something....so I drove home and got my garden rake but alas the rod couldn't be retrieved....I just hoped and prayed the Barbel wasn't hooked up. The next day he went out and bought another rod and reel and got himself back up there, as he walked to the same spot he could see two lads fishing the swim, got talking and thankfully they'd retrieved his rod that morning with hook too and handed it back to him, but my mate said no you keep the rod I've just bought a new one, so it all ended well in the end and the two lads were pretty chuffed that he gave them this decent rod and reel..
Fishing stories on 14:54 - Apr 25 with 893 viewslongtimefan

Fishing stories on 09:53 - Apr 25 by Lord_Lucan

I used to fish Weybread, both the Ocean and No 1 pits, quite a lot. It always featured in the Norfolk and Suffolk winter league matches at least once a year during the ‘80s and ‘90s. I never really sorted it out properly though, despite it was being mostly Bream fishing, which was my favourite. Complete opposite to Alton Water which I always seemed to be far more in tune with and had a really good match record.
[Post edited 25 Apr 15:24]

Fishing stories on 14:59 - Apr 25 with 887 viewsPecker

I once got an 8 Lb Salmon in Sainsburys.
Fishing stories on 15:45 - Apr 25 with 874 viewslongtimefan

Fishing stories on 14:15 - Apr 25 by strikalite

A quick story..

Couple of years ago my mate came down from Bury and we fished the Nene in a cracking spot known for decent barbel. I was fishing the next peg to him, Nothing was happening at all, so he got up to stretch his legs or something and within seconds BANG the rod was pulled into the river(he'd forgot to set his bait runner ffs)...he came charging back down the bank(it all happened within seconds) and desperately dived to try and grasp the rod handle but without joy..it'd gone, I couldn't hold back my laugh but at the same time we had to do something....so I drove home and got my garden rake but alas the rod couldn't be retrieved....I just hoped and prayed the Barbel wasn't hooked up. The next day he went out and bought another rod and reel and got himself back up there, as he walked to the same spot he could see two lads fishing the swim, got talking and thankfully they'd retrieved his rod that morning with hook too and handed it back to him, but my mate said no you keep the rod I've just bought a new one, so it all ended well in the end and the two lads were pretty chuffed that he gave them this decent rod and reel..

I was fishing in County Cavan in Ireland with a group of mates on a large lake. We had split into a couple of groups and were trying different locations around the lake. One of the guys in the other group wasn't having much luck so he walked around to us to see how we were getting on. When he went back there was no sign of his rod. He was convinced the others in his group had hidden it and were winding him up but they denied it, though I’d assumed they were! Anyway this guy was in a right mood for the next couple of days before finally accepting his rod had gone for good. Later in the week we decided to head back to the same lake to fish. Just on the off chance the guy who lost his rod decided to pop in the water sports shop near where we had fished to see if anyone had found his rod. To his, and all our amazements, they had his rod. Apparently a wind surfer had seen it being towed around the lake and retrieved it, attached to a very large Bream, and handed it in.
Fishing stories on 20:45 - Apr 25 with 815 viewswellyblue

Fishing stories on 14:15 - Apr 25 by strikalite

A quick story..

I caught my first 20+lb pike on the Nene, night fishing on a popped up smelt, for barbel I'd go on the Great Ouse in Bedfordshire around Harrold, many a good night there, decent chub there too.

Fishing stories on 22:03 - Apr 25 with 777 viewsGodzilla

I have been beach casting n Suffolk and never caught much, even overnight.
On a family retreat in Westport Co Mayo I took a cousin along the coast and stopped and asked a local where to fish he said here and we proceeded to cast off the rocks and catch pollock mackerel and the odd conga eel on every cast for about two hours solid, my cousin was a river fisherman thought it was unbelievable.

Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2020