Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Birmingham Nightingale Hospital 14:11 - Apr 26 with 2393 viewsTommyparker

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital has not been used at all, 10 days since it has been opened. It showed the NHS had "absorbed" the extra pressure Dr David Rosser said.
Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 14:14 - Apr 26 with 1745 viewsMullet

Although these aren't hospitals in the proper sense are they? They are emergency beds within massive sheds and resources geared up to help people. It's just there aren't enough staff, loads of surgeries and other elements of the NHS have been shut down, reduced or reassigned.

This idea that Nightingales are miracles and the NHS is coping is just baffling.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 14:36 - Apr 26 with 1692 viewsfactual_blue

As BlueBadger pointed out the other day, NHS managers would far rather be mocked for having too much capacity than crucified for having too little.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 14:38 - Apr 26 with 1677 viewsfactual_blue

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 14:14 - Apr 26 by Mullet

Although these aren't hospitals in the proper sense are they? They are emergency beds within massive sheds and resources geared up to help people. It's just there aren't enough staff, loads of surgeries and other elements of the NHS have been shut down, reduced or reassigned.

This idea that Nightingales are miracles and the NHS is coping is just baffling.

Fair points. The key though is that it copes with the pandemic. If needs be medical staff would be found to get many of those beds working (armed services, private sector, more retired staff etc etc).

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 14:42 - Apr 26 with 1683 viewsTommyparker

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 14:36 - Apr 26 by factual_blue

As BlueBadger pointed out the other day, NHS managers would far rather be mocked for having too much capacity than crucified for having too little.

I have two daughters who work as vesculiar surgeons in a NHS hospital in Essex, they speak and get daily information from all the hospitals over the UK, not one hospital has reported being over stretched.
Have the NHS run out of bed capacity no.
Have the NHS run out of Ventilators no
Have the NHS run out of oxygen no
How many hospitals have been close to running out of PPE, 22 hospitals
Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 14:54 - Apr 26 with 1652 viewsMugwump

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 14:36 - Apr 26 by factual_blue

I don’t think anyone is mocking anyone are they?

All these temporary hospitals are a good thing whether used or not.
Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:28 - Apr 26 with 1606 viewsjeera

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 14:42 - Apr 26 by Tommyparker

I have two daughters who work as vesculiar surgeons in a NHS hospital in Essex, they speak and get daily information from all the hospitals over the UK, not one hospital has reported being over stretched.

Maybe it's me, but what's your point here?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:30 - Apr 26 with 1596 viewsDubtractor

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:28 - Apr 26 by jeera

Maybe it's me, but what's your point here?

I'm guessing that in the rush to try and provide the 'big' stuff, that government has forgotten to provide the 'little' stuff in terms of PPE.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:33 - Apr 26 with 1573 viewsBluesquid

"not one hospital has reported being over stretched."

More chance of getting 'over stretched' in a dance routine it seems then.

Login to get fewer ads

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:37 - Apr 26 with 1571 viewsjeera

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:30 - Apr 26 by Dubtractor

I'm guessing that in the rush to try and provide the 'big' stuff, that government has forgotten to provide the 'little' stuff in terms of PPE.

Well, quite.

As for the hospitals coping, that's a good thing but it wasn't looking that way a month ago and it was right to be geared up for any mad increase in numbers.

But yes, it would be better still if the NHS staff and those who face serious risk in care homes too were suitably kitted out.

In the region of 100 NHS people have died from this so I'm not sure that qualifies as coping either.

Plus there was a report from a few London hospital that were dangerously close to overcrowding including Northwick who declared a 'critical incident' after running out of beds: https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-20/northwick-park-hospital-london-coronavirus-c
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 15:38]

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:38 - Apr 26 with 1563 viewsBlueBadger

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:33 - Apr 26 by Bluesquid

Imagine using your break to let off steam doing something daft.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:41 - Apr 26 with 1549 viewsm14_blue

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:33 - Apr 26 by Bluesquid

How dare they????

This proves the whole thing was nothing to worry about.
Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:48 - Apr 26 with 1531 viewsjeera

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:41 - Apr 26 by m14_blue

How dare they????

We are fortunate to not be in the position Italy found themselves in with people dying in the corridors and bodies being heaped up.

Or like in Detroit where staff were too busy to accompany patients also left in corridors to die alone.

I'm not sure what people are looking for with these type of posts.

Generally speaking, most of the UK has abided by the rules and by doing so avoided overcrowding the hospitals. You'd think people would be relieved.

The OP posted only recently that the same Essex hospital he mentions was over 400 staff members down because of the virus. Four hundred for goodness sake.

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:54 - Apr 26 with 1512 viewsBlueBadger

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:48 - Apr 26 by jeera

We are fortunate to not be in the position Italy found themselves in with people dying in the corridors and bodies being heaped up.

Or like in Detroit where staff were too busy to accompany patients also left in corridors to die alone.

Generally speaking, most of the UK has abided by the rules and by doing so avoided overcrowding the hospitals. You'd think people would be relieved.

The OP posted only recently that the same Essex hospital he mentions was over 400 staff members down because of the virus. Four hundred for goodness sake.

We've also largely avoided being swamped mainly because the primary care response has been generally excellent(I've heard more ethan one tale of GPs going out to care homes to see people that are likely to die and had them contact families to say 'yes they can go to hospital but I fear they will die alone surrounded by people they don't know in a very distressing environment, so I'm going to do X,Y and Z and if they doesn't work we let them go peacefully')and we still have ITU beds because the the concept of appropriate ceiling of care, which encourages early escalation planning for the event of patient deterioration with am as-soon-as-possible discussion with patients and relatives is deeply embedded into the medical culture - most people will have this discussion within 24 hours of admission to hospital.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 15:54]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:56 - Apr 26 with 1491 viewsBluesquid

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:38 - Apr 26 by BlueBadger

Imagine using your break to let off steam doing something daft.

Yes but my point still stands, the dance routines that they are performing do carry a risk of over stretching do they not?
Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:59 - Apr 26 with 1485 viewsm14_blue

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:48 - Apr 26 by jeera

Absolutely, the capacity has been a success story.

Although obviously the worries over capacity were that the death toll would rise if our hospitals were overstretched. It’s a slightly hollow victory given the toll continues to rise and will likely exceed every other country in the world bar America (and probably China).
Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 16:04 - Apr 26 with 1463 viewsBluesquid

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:41 - Apr 26 by m14_blue

How dare they????

How dare they what???

Are you tripping?

I said that they are at risk of over stretching due to the dance routines that they are performing but you seem to have replied to something that you have conjured from your own imagination.
Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 16:04 - Apr 26 with 1468 viewsBlueBadger

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 15:56 - Apr 26 by Bluesquid

Yes but my point still stands, the dance routines that they are performing do carry a risk of over stretching do they not?

Oh we all know the point you were trying to make.

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 16:11 - Apr 26 with 1440 viewsm14_blue

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 16:04 - Apr 26 by Bluesquid

How dare they what???

Are you tripping?

I said that they are at risk of over stretching due to the dance routines that they are performing but you seem to have replied to something that you have conjured from your own imagination.

Yep, looks like I missed the joke. Apologies.
Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 16:12 - Apr 26 with 1439 viewsdickie

They keep shifting the goalposts in what is deemed safe PPE as well - Public Health England have adjusted the guidelines according to what they have access to. My wife (nurse) wrote to Tom Hunt asking why they've done this and why the guidelines differ so much from the WHO guidelines.
Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 16:32 - Apr 26 with 1378 viewsChateauWines

That's a good thing. Nightingales prepared for scenario of local hospitals not being able to cope.

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 16:36 - Apr 26 with 1349 viewsfactual_blue

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 16:04 - Apr 26 by BlueBadger

I think he succeeded in making that point.

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 16:39 - Apr 26 with 1332 viewsBluesquid

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 16:04 - Apr 26 by BlueBadger

Wow, I knew i should have put in a trigger warning at the beginning of the post, i will next time just for you Badgey.
Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 17:50 - Apr 26 with 1261 viewsBlueBadger

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 16:12 - Apr 26 by dickie

They keep shifting the goalposts in what is deemed safe PPE as well - Public Health England have adjusted the guidelines according to what they have access to. My wife (nurse) wrote to Tom Hunt asking why they've done this and why the guidelines differ so much from the WHO guidelines.

Their most recent wheeze was try and claim that CPR is a non-aerosol generating procedure and therefore full full FFP3 level PPE isn't needed. Anyone who's ever attended a cardiac arrest knows that's utter rubbish. It's not like how it is on the telly you tend to get all sorts of fluids flying everywhere. Thankfully most places have ignored this and gone with the guidelines from the resuscitations council which says 'you can place pads and give a shock, but nobody does any compressions or starts manual ventilation until they're fully kitted out'.

PHE are most interested in penny-pinching than actually looking after their most valuable resource, the staff.

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 17:52 - Apr 26 with 1249 viewsEdwardStone

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 17:50 - Apr 26 by BlueBadger

Their most recent wheeze was try and claim that CPR is a non-aerosol generating procedure and therefore full full FFP3 level PPE isn't needed. Anyone who's ever attended a cardiac arrest knows that's utter rubbish. It's not like how it is on the telly you tend to get all sorts of fluids flying everywhere. Thankfully most places have ignored this and gone with the guidelines from the resuscitations council which says 'you can place pads and give a shock, but nobody does any compressions or starts manual ventilation until they're fully kitted out'.

PHE are most interested in penny-pinching than actually looking after their most valuable resource, the staff.

Sadly, your last sentence is about the most depressing thing I have read in a long while

Very best wishes and greatest respect to you and your colleagues
Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 17:55 - Apr 26 with 1243 viewsEwan_Oozami

Birmingham Nightingale Hospital on 16:04 - Apr 26 by Bluesquid

How dare they what???

Are you tripping?

Well, if they do overstretch they're certainly in the right place to get immediate treatment....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024