Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lockdown 'fatigue' 12:02 - Apr 27 with 3528 viewsFixed_It

Our lockdown isn't really a lockdown at all, so people just need to abide by the guidelines and be thankful.
My daughter lives in an apartment in Madrid. She has only been outside 5 times in the last 45 days - to go to the supermarket which is 300m away. Not because she is paranoid - but because those are the rules and they are strictly enforced.
I spoke to her last night and they are indeed relaxing their lockdown. As of yesterday, children were allowed to go out for a walk with an adult - the first time in six weeks. Some children, without gardens, have been stuck indoors for the entire time. If the relaxaion goes well this week, it is hoped that adults will also be able to go outside for a recreational walk.
So people here really have no idea what a real lockdown entails - and this talk of 'lockdown fatigue' looks a bit silly in the context of other countries who have had much stricter rules.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 12:03]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:04 - Apr 27 with 2342 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm sure it's stressful for some, but we also have a lot of selfish and thoughtless people around.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:06 - Apr 27 with 2329 viewsElephantintheRoom

Quite agree.

Its bordering on the offensive to call the somewhat relaxed UK approach a lockdown... but this government does love slogans.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:09 - Apr 27 with 2294 viewsgordon

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:06 - Apr 27 by ElephantintheRoom

Quite agree.

Its bordering on the offensive to call the somewhat relaxed UK approach a lockdown... but this government does love slogans.

offensive to real lockdowns?

But I agree - the reality of the situation in the UK and Sweden is more similar than different, according to a close friend in Sweden.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 12:10]
Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:12 - Apr 27 with 2278 viewshomer_123

Quite agree.

Regardless of what it's called, people seem belligerent in actually following the rules.

Having seen the numbers out and about over the weekend...and the lack of social distancing...they might as well be relaxed.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:16 - Apr 27 with 2271 viewsMullet

It does. There are a lot of Brits who love to talk a good game and invoke that Blitz Spirit rhetoric but are the least likely to walk the walk unfortunately.

That doesn't mean Britain has had it easy though, our death toll is scandalous if we're doing comparisons and there is a massive hidden figure to top it up too. If anything the selfish wedge in society simply haven't been punished enough it seems.

Had Boris communicated this better earlier and people had been given the straight-forward facts we might have seen a different response. His suggestions and placations in place of clear guidance and enforced fines etc. seem to have emboldened people who feel they've done their bit now, can they have their life back?

It feels like the majority of people are doing the decent thing, it's not a class, age or gender correlation amongst the assholes either, it's an attitude problem. A lot of people are getting into the habits and necessary precautions, but people are still going to supermarkets for example and thinking the rules aren't for them.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:21 - Apr 27 with 2255 viewsJ2BLUE

Just because some have it worse does it mean people can't be bored with the lockdown here? As long as people are adhering to it they can have a little moan to vent surely?

It would be nice if people stopped trying to knock others down to score points.

Best wishes to your daughter, I hope Spain manage to gradually end their lockdown without a second wave.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:28 - Apr 27 with 2223 viewsBlue_In_Boston

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:09 - Apr 27 by gordon

offensive to real lockdowns?

But I agree - the reality of the situation in the UK and Sweden is more similar than different, according to a close friend in Sweden.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 12:10]

Sweden nothing like England in population density! England 424 people per square Km, while Sweden is just 23.

A more realistic comparison is Sweden to Norway or Estonia....who have just 49 deaths between them. Sweden has over 1,200 so their plan hasn't worked.
Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:29 - Apr 27 with 2218 viewsChutney

Quite agree.

It's only relaxed for the plebs who can't stick to it. Yes the measures aren't as draconian as other countries, but the reality is they are incredibly restrictive to those who are actually adhering to them, which I'm sure is still the vast majority.

If you're not a key worker, and you're sticking to the rules, you've only left your house to get essentially groceries and for 1 piece of exercise per day (max 1 hour). You've not seen any family or friends for a month. Are we in prison? No. Do some other nations have it worse? Yes, but perhaps people should be a little more understanding and empathetic towards each other in what is a tough time regardless.
Login to get fewer ads

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:29 - Apr 27 with 2216 viewsMullet

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:28 - Apr 27 by Blue_In_Boston

Sweden nothing like England in population density! England 424 people per square Km, while Sweden is just 23.

A more realistic comparison is Sweden to Norway or Estonia....who have just 49 deaths between them. Sweden has over 1,200 so their plan hasn't worked.

Yeah, I'm really baffled by people thinking that density and demographics make no difference.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:30 - Apr 27 with 2215 viewsfactual_blue

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:16 - Apr 27 by Mullet

It does. There are a lot of Brits who love to talk a good game and invoke that Blitz Spirit rhetoric but are the least likely to walk the walk unfortunately.

That doesn't mean Britain has had it easy though, our death toll is scandalous if we're doing comparisons and there is a massive hidden figure to top it up too. If anything the selfish wedge in society simply haven't been punished enough it seems.

Had Boris communicated this better earlier and people had been given the straight-forward facts we might have seen a different response. His suggestions and placations in place of clear guidance and enforced fines etc. seem to have emboldened people who feel they've done their bit now, can they have their life back?

It feels like the majority of people are doing the decent thing, it's not a class, age or gender correlation amongst the assholes either, it's an attitude problem. A lot of people are getting into the habits and necessary precautions, but people are still going to supermarkets for example and thinking the rules aren't for them.

Talk of the colossal crime wave that hit London during the Blitz is an effective tool here.

Perhaps an interesting topic for your pupils? Some interesting facts and figures here

https://www.historyextra.com/period/second-world-war/10-facts-about-crime-on-the

RULE BRITANNIA

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:32 - Apr 27 with 2198 viewsFixed_It

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:21 - Apr 27 by J2BLUE

Just because some have it worse does it mean people can't be bored with the lockdown here? As long as people are adhering to it they can have a little moan to vent surely?

Best wishes to your daughter, I hope Spain manage to gradually end their lockdown without a second wave.

Not really sure I have an issue with people moaning as such (although really?!), but it is the people who are taking it upon themselves to just unilaterlly disregard all the advice, putting others at risk, that pisses me off.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:37 - Apr 27 with 2175 viewsmonytowbray

Our version of lockdown is basically how I lived life for most of last year but with less p1ss ups.

I said yesterday I think people with MH issues are oddly more prepared for this as I’ve spent large chunks of my life irrationally worried/miserable and not leaving my bed. This is more of the same but this time it’s completely rational. It’s those who these feelings are new to I worry about as the battle with MH is being equipped with the information and methods you need to get past it. If you ain’t got that then you’ll feel pretty hopeless and stuck.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:38 - Apr 27 with 2149 viewsRyorry

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:32 - Apr 27 by Fixed_It

Not really sure I have an issue with people moaning as such (although really?!), but it is the people who are taking it upon themselves to just unilaterlly disregard all the advice, putting others at risk, that pisses me off.

Yep. Other countries, eg Spain, have been imposing massive fines on those not adhering to their v. strict lockdown - seems it would take that for some selfish people to take any notice whatsoever here in the UK.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:39 - Apr 27 with 2141 viewsgordon

I meant in terms of the extent of lockdown.
Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:41 - Apr 27 with 2135 viewsFixed_It

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:37 - Apr 27 by monytowbray

Our version of lockdown is basically how I lived life for most of last year but with less p1ss ups.

I said yesterday I think people with MH issues are oddly more prepared for this as I’ve spent large chunks of my life irrationally worried/miserable and not leaving my bed. This is more of the same but this time it’s completely rational. It’s those who these feelings are new to I worry about as the battle with MH is being equipped with the information and methods you need to get past it. If you ain’t got that then you’ll feel pretty hopeless and stuck.

That's a really imteresting way of looking at it - and not one I had thought of before. Cheers.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:42 - Apr 27 with 2126 viewsBarcaBlue

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:21 - Apr 27 by J2BLUE

I didn't read any point scoring in the OPs post and I don't think they were referring to boredom but rather aluding to "lockdown fatigue" as a possible excuse for not employing it earlier or in a more strict manner in the UK. I may be wrong of course.

It was reported at the weekend that over 750,000 fines had been handed out here since lock down.

I went to the local supermarket when it opened at 9 this morning and really thought it was closed, mine was the only car in the car park. This is in a small town and life in cities is undoubtedly different.
Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:44 - Apr 27 with 2109 viewsFixed_It

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:42 - Apr 27 by BarcaBlue

I didn't read any point scoring in the OPs post and I don't think they were referring to boredom but rather aluding to "lockdown fatigue" as a possible excuse for not employing it earlier or in a more strict manner in the UK. I may be wrong of course.

It was reported at the weekend that over 750,000 fines had been handed out here since lock down.

I went to the local supermarket when it opened at 9 this morning and really thought it was closed, mine was the only car in the car park. This is in a small town and life in cities is undoubtedly different.

Yeah - I chose to ignore the bizarre reference to 'point scoring'.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:50 - Apr 27 with 2079 viewsNotSure

What do you mean by "Hasn't worked".
If we wait until there is a vaccine and everyone has been immunised then it will be 3 years before this is all over.

Too early to publish a league table yet. As the woman from Sweden said yesterday this is a marathon, not a sprint.
Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:51 - Apr 27 with 2084 viewsmonytowbray

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:41 - Apr 27 by Fixed_It

That's a really imteresting way of looking at it - and not one I had thought of before. Cheers.

I've had a few people I've spoken to struggling with the current climate say my advice and outlook has been a surprisingly uplifting and helpful perspective. Perhaps I should write it up and post it here later.

The problem is society's pressures are removed and suddenly everyone is lost for a purpose, which makes me sad as work and money should be just a small part of one's purpose or drive. Granted my take doesn't make lockdown skipping through a field of daisies, but it certainly makes it a bit more tolerable and at times enjoyable.

Basically, stay in bed all day if you feel like it. Don't get dressed if you can't be bothered. That job can wait until tomorrow. And remember you're a national hero for doing nothing.

TWTD never forgets…

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:53 - Apr 27 with 2074 viewsfactual_blue

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:37 - Apr 27 by monytowbray

Some good stuff there Callis.

But it's 'fewer p!ss ups'

[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 13:01]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:58 - Apr 27 with 2049 viewsGuthrum

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:51 - Apr 27 by monytowbray

I've had a few people I've spoken to struggling with the current climate say my advice and outlook has been a surprisingly uplifting and helpful perspective. Perhaps I should write it up and post it here later.

The problem is society's pressures are removed and suddenly everyone is lost for a purpose, which makes me sad as work and money should be just a small part of one's purpose or drive. Granted my take doesn't make lockdown skipping through a field of daisies, but it certainly makes it a bit more tolerable and at times enjoyable.

Basically, stay in bed all day if you feel like it. Don't get dressed if you can't be bothered. That job can wait until tomorrow. And remember you're a national hero for doing nothing.

Well said.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:59 - Apr 27 with 2039 viewsnoggin

Where did you get that figure for Norway and Estonia? It's wrong. As of yesterday, Norway has 201 deaths.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:59 - Apr 27 with 2040 viewsSharkey

Norway has just over 200 deaths.

I'm not here to 'defend' Sweden's policy, and of course what's good for Sweden may not be good for another country. But I feel it's too early to say Sweden has been 'wrong'. In the south of Sweden, and much of the rest of the country the figures are slightly lower than in neighbouring Denmark, which enforced a much tougher lockdown.

Stockholm and its neighbouring region to the south have had 50 deaths per 100,00 people, a gruesome figure indeed.

The district which includes Gothenburg has had 9.4 deaths per 100,000 people, and Skåne, which includes Malmö and 'borders' Copenhagen has had 4.4

The Swedish health experts maintain that the reason Stockholm is so hard hit is that it had a lot of people come back from Italy (skiing) at precisely the wrong time. The Norwegians report the same pattern in their country: where plane loads of tourists are known to have come back from the Italian Alps, the figures are higher.
Lockdown 'fatigue' on 13:04 - Apr 27 with 2007 viewsmonytowbray

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:42 - Apr 27 by BarcaBlue

I spent my first week of lockdown (I started 11th March long before anything official, I was still in when everyone was off to Cheltenham and gigs to support the "herd immunity" approach of killing people for the sake of the economy) in London and then it got too much so I left for my parent's in quiet rural Suffolk.

It's a different life here. I can walk to the shop or take the dog out the countryside and see 4-5 people tops on a busy day among acres of space. The Co-op here has a 'one in one out' rule when they hit 15 people, yet in the 5-6 times I've been down there in the last 5 weeks I've queued once to get in for a total of 2 minutes (and in fairness it still wasn't full, they have a mandatory basket system where if the rack is empty you wait for one to return and the staff were too busy serving to restock the pile for a few minutes).

In London I couldn't even walk to the shop 200 yards from my flat without seeing at least 30-40 people in the space of 10 minutes, all of which are just doing exactly what they are entitled to do within the lockdown rules.. The same goes for the parks being full. In cities there are limited green spaces and gardens, so it's no surprise the parks are busy, ironically with people who also decided to go to the park and then complain on FB that everyone is being reckless and selfish going to the park. A mate described it well with the "you aren't stuck in traffic, you are traffic" analogy.

Yeah, there are a fair few people who aren't abiding to the rules, but it's being exaggerated to deflect from how poor Number 10 has handled the pandemic in almost every regard. I can name 2 things they've got right since this all started tops, and that's AFTER the initial f*ck ups that now have us an estimated 100% over what they said would be a good outcome of deaths.

I've seen so much "I SAW MY NEIGHBOUR LEAVE THE HOUSE FOR TWO HOURS TODAY SHOULD I CALL THE POLICE" posts on social media and it's ridiculous. Why not go ask them what they're up to and see if you can support them rather becoming an informant to the state? F*cking narcs.

TWTD never forgets…

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 13:07 - Apr 27 with 1990 viewsmonytowbray

Lockdown 'fatigue' on 12:59 - Apr 27 by Sharkey

Norway has just over 200 deaths.

I'm not here to 'defend' Sweden's policy, and of course what's good for Sweden may not be good for another country. But I feel it's too early to say Sweden has been 'wrong'. In the south of Sweden, and much of the rest of the country the figures are slightly lower than in neighbouring Denmark, which enforced a much tougher lockdown.

Stockholm and its neighbouring region to the south have had 50 deaths per 100,00 people, a gruesome figure indeed.

The district which includes Gothenburg has had 9.4 deaths per 100,000 people, and Skåne, which includes Malmö and 'borders' Copenhagen has had 4.4

The Swedish health experts maintain that the reason Stockholm is so hard hit is that it had a lot of people come back from Italy (skiing) at precisely the wrong time. The Norwegians report the same pattern in their country: where plane loads of tourists are known to have come back from the Italian Alps, the figures are higher.

There's going to be more deaths in London than there are Suffolk through geographical means. The same goes for countries. All I do know is our initial plan was a failure and the death stats show it. What Sweden are doing might as well be comparing Sir Bobby to Paul Hurst.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024