Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Losing a pet 13:31 - Apr 27 with 1316 viewsRobTheMonk

Our family golden retriever had been on the decline for a while. 14 so a good age for one. My mum had to make the decision to put him down today. We saw them on Saturday (walking distance and huge garden so social distance rules) and he didn't look good then and deteriorated on Sunday evening. Mum took him to the vet and they said he was not in a good way so she made the hard decision of euthanising him.

I knew it was coming. I spent most of my 20's on a Saturday early afternoon walking him with a stinking hangover. Without him I'd have just laid in bed nursing the effects. I'm gutted. He was the softest dog I've ever known and probably kept my sanity in check with all those walks. Was I walking him or was he there to walk me?

I'm stopping now as I can feel myself tearing up. Hope everyone stays safe.
Losing a pet on 13:48 - Apr 27 with 1266 viewsWestover

I know how you feel I've had to have 4 put to sleep over the years, it's hard like losing one of the family but just try and think of the good times it won't be easy but I'm sure he had a good life. thoughts are with you.
Losing a pet on 13:48 - Apr 27 with 1267 viewsfergalsharkey

its horrible m8, but it I have lost 3 dogs in my life time, all brilliant, 2 labs and a springer, best thing I can advise is your mum gets another one.
The stress of a puppy soon takes the bad feelings away and a new chapter begins.

Poll: Cook out?

Losing a pet on 13:56 - Apr 27 with 1246 viewsKeno

Thinking of you

Not an easy time anytime especially now

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Losing a pet on 14:02 - Apr 27 with 1227 viewsjeera

Sorry to hear this mate.

It's hard I know to lose one of the family and the one who is essentially everyone's best pal too.

It does sound like he was loved though, so lucky him. He led a nice life and obviously brought a lot of fun to the household too.

We know what we're letting ourselves in for when we take them on, but it doesn't prepare you at all.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Losing a pet on 14:09 - Apr 27 with 1204 viewsDurovigutum

https://mypetsashes.co.uk/celebrity-pets/grieving-for-a-pet-roy-hattersley-and-b

Perhaps not the most cheerful read, makes me well up thinking our 13 year old Spaniel is getting close, but helps bring out some of the emotion.
Losing a pet on 14:14 - Apr 27 with 1198 viewsChurchman

I’m sorry to hear that. Pets are part of the family and saying goodbye is the hardest thing. Well done your mum for making that decision. It’s so difficult, but then if you focus on quality of life, there comes a point when it’s the right thing to do. On the few occasions I’ve had to go through this, I knew it was time. No regrets, just love and happy memories.
Losing a pet on 14:23 - Apr 27 with 1170 viewsFixed_It

Sorry to hear that, mate. Sounds like your Mum has done the right thing, but is never easy. A very experienced vet once said that it is better to make the decision a day early than a day late. Cherish the memories. Take care!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Losing a pet on 14:45 - Apr 27 with 1154 viewsfactual_blue

Always sad to read about losing a pet; they do become part of the family.

Walking it when it had a stinking hangover is a bit cruel, and you have ask why it had a hangover at all.

We had a cat once who, on the same day, had a lick at an empty Beef bourguignon casserole dish, and the Christmas cake mixing bowl on the same day.

He slept at the top of the stairs for two days, and then of course adopted the 'we will never speak of this' attitude beloved of cats.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Losing a pet on 15:53 - Apr 27 with 1101 viewsDebsyAngel

Really sorry for your loss, my lovely little Yorkshire Terrier was the same age when we had to make that heartbreaking decision, so I quite understand. Hugs to you at this sad time.
Losing a pet on 16:37 - Apr 27 with 1064 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Wow that was carbon copy. Fathers Golden Retriever, lived 14, detonated at later years and was sadly taken to the vets. My father was in balls of tears on the way back from the vets.

2 years on we got a brand new puppy, Golden Retriever who comes from the same bloodline as the previous one. It has been amazing!

Stay Safe.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Losing a pet on 16:52 - Apr 27 with 1048 viewsEpiphone

My heart goes out to you,we’ve had our dog coming up to four years and I dread the day.....
Losing a pet on 17:13 - Apr 27 with 1033 viewsbrogansnose

Sorry to hear this and my sympathies to you and your family. I lost my much loved dog after a short illness in December, tbh, I'm not over it yet but remembering the times we had together helps.
Losing a pet on 17:42 - Apr 27 with 1013 viewssoclopath

Having lost two dogs mid age 6yrs within a period of 26 months my thoughts are with you at this time .
Losing a pet on 20:43 - Apr 27 with 943 viewsLeaky

I feel for your loss. Have aging cat dread the day I have to go through the same loss
Losing a pet on 21:02 - Apr 27 with 924 viewsstrikalite

Nothing worse than losing a dog, my Lab was wonderful, lovely temperament, soft as anything, still miss her even now, you become incredibly attached that's for sure..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024