Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! 23:52 - Apr 28 with 837 viewsRyorry

Also, it rained for first time for about a month. Spring is definitely back :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 00:17 - Apr 29 with 806 viewsRocky

Also heard one today in Suffolk. Think we have lost about 50% of them in the last 20 years, so a bird in great decline.
Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 09:10 - Apr 29 with 709 viewsEdmundo

We can hear birdsong above the traffic noise all day round ours now. It's something that we shall probably remember with fond nostalgia when the cars are back.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 09:26 - Apr 29 with 696 viewsGeoffSentence

Still haven't heard any in my bit of the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle. But I am not too despondent yet, it's normally some time in May before I hear them.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 09:39 - Apr 29 with 689 viewssolemio

None heard in St Albans yet. Mind you it could be argued that cuckoos are criminal thugs.

Great to see the rain yesterday, and good to see a bit of sun this morning.
Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 09:44 - Apr 29 with 685 viewslowhouseblue

that's nothing, our nightingale is back!

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 09:50 - Apr 29 with 680 viewsIpswichKnight

None here in Surrey yet, was about this time last year that the wife and I heard and saw 2 up on the army ranges, we will go and have a look and listen this weekend as part of our daily exercise.
Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 10:07 - Apr 29 with 674 viewsSwansea_Blue

We heard it down here on Sunday, so it's getting around a fair bit

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 11:36 - Apr 29 with 657 viewsRyorry

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 00:17 - Apr 29 by Rocky

Also heard one today in Suffolk. Think we have lost about 50% of them in the last 20 years, so a bird in great decline.

Yes, really sad stat. Dawn chorus just isn't complete without one.

Login to get fewer ads

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 11:47 - Apr 29 with 651 viewsWeWereZombies

I actually saw the cuckoo I heard on Saturday in one of my cherry trees on Sunday and Monday. It is still in its brown phase and with rounded wings but quite a spectacular set of patterning on the throat.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 11:51 - Apr 29 with 647 viewsGeoffSentence

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 11:47 - Apr 29 by WeWereZombies

I actually saw the cuckoo I heard on Saturday in one of my cherry trees on Sunday and Monday. It is still in its brown phase and with rounded wings but quite a spectacular set of patterning on the throat.

A few year back we had very reliable cuckoos round my way, I could hear then calling for weeks and was able to work out where the male's territory was. It was great watching him call in the tree tops, he liked bare branches which made it easy, and on one occasion he actually flew right over my head whilst calling, he was almost within fingertip range (though I would have had to grow to about 3 times my height for that to be actually true), which was great.

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 11:57 - Apr 29 with 638 viewsRyorry

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 11:51 - Apr 29 by GeoffSentence

A few year back we had very reliable cuckoos round my way, I could hear then calling for weeks and was able to work out where the male's territory was. It was great watching him call in the tree tops, he liked bare branches which made it easy, and on one occasion he actually flew right over my head whilst calling, he was almost within fingertip range (though I would have had to grow to about 3 times my height for that to be actually true), which was great.

When I was at old house, used to have one who arrived without fail *every* St George's Day (23rd April) for about 5 years. Sad day the year he wasn't there any more (2012 or 13 I think). Also saw him once, unmistakeable tail and flight.

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 12:01 - Apr 29 with 629 viewssolemio

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 11:47 - Apr 29 by WeWereZombies

The only time I've seen a cuckoo was on the beach in Lincolnshire in July when presumably it was about to fly off south.

"In July away I fly." The cuckoo, not me.
Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 12:04 - Apr 29 with 623 viewsElephantintheRoom

I dont know if you cuckoo enthusiasts are aware of the BTO cuckoo tracking project?

It's fascinating stuff and lets you follow journies down to equatorial africa via spain, italy and greece... all by birds with no parents to show them the way. And how do they know in equatorial africa when its time to head back?

Sponsoring one is a bit heartbreaking though - as so few survive

https://www.bto.org/our-science/projects/cuckoo-tracking-project/get-involved/sp

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 12:06 - Apr 29 with 616 viewsGeoffSentence

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 12:04 - Apr 29 by ElephantintheRoom

I dont know if you cuckoo enthusiasts are aware of the BTO cuckoo tracking project?

It's fascinating stuff and lets you follow journies down to equatorial africa via spain, italy and greece... all by birds with no parents to show them the way. And how do they know in equatorial africa when its time to head back?

Sponsoring one is a bit heartbreaking though - as so few survive

https://www.bto.org/our-science/projects/cuckoo-tracking-project/get-involved/sp

Yeah, it is fascinating. It's not like other migratory birds that can just follow older ones, these young cuckoos are completely on their own.

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 12:15 - Apr 29 with 607 viewsWeWereZombies

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 12:01 - Apr 29 by solemio

The only time I've seen a cuckoo was on the beach in Lincolnshire in July when presumably it was about to fly off south.

"In July away I fly." The cuckoo, not me.

When I was staying at a hotel in Soller, north west Majorca, about ten years ago there was one in a nest right outside the front door. Decent size courtyard but it did not look entirely comfortable. especially with a couple of gawping tourists. That one was clearly into the odd jagged looking wing phase.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Yay, heard cuckoo for first time today! on 12:53 - Apr 29 with 599 viewsbrazil1982

That's good to know - the rain is welcome, we have already had moorland fires here in Lancs. Very dry.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024