Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... 02:35 - Apr 29 with 7669 viewsurbanblue

Professor Johan Giesecke, one of the world’s most senior epidemiologists, advisor to the Swedish Government (he hired Anders Tegnell who is currently directing Swedish strategy), the first Chief Scientist of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, and an advisor to the director general of the WHO.

The man knows his stuff!

How an interview should be done. Simple Questions and Answers enabeling the listener to make up their own mind ... A must listen!

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 15:25 - Apr 29 with 3842 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 15:16 - Apr 29 by urbanblue

I really cannot see how the lockdown can go on too long. As I said in another post on here we have got it pretty easy here in Oz compared to you. Still, my 12 year old daughter is really missing her friends and school. The kids are the forgotten 'victims' (probably the wrong word) of a lockdown. They are missing their childhood. Today, I had a client in his 70's who said he'd rather take his chances then see out his days like this!

No easy answer, but even here people are getting restless, although probably even more so with our low figures.

I think for the elderly or at risk there should be some kind of "meh, f*ck it, I'll take my chances and put myself at the bottom of the treatment pile if health resources are thin" waver. My Gran who passed a few years back would have done that I'd imagine, she didn't really care much about death and was ready for it long before she went.

But then there would be the logistics of that approach not having a knock on effect on those trying to be safer so it's not an easy solution.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 15:52 - Apr 29 with 3822 viewsWeWereZombies

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 15:25 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

I think for the elderly or at risk there should be some kind of "meh, f*ck it, I'll take my chances and put myself at the bottom of the treatment pile if health resources are thin" waver. My Gran who passed a few years back would have done that I'd imagine, she didn't really care much about death and was ready for it long before she went.

But then there would be the logistics of that approach not having a knock on effect on those trying to be safer so it's not an easy solution.

I'm not wavering about taking my chances at the moment, and I turn sixty five next month. So I would be happy with a waiver.

And here are the lyrics to the Laura Nyro song I will sing as I go:

'I'm not scared of dying and I don't really care.
If it's peace you find in dying, well, then let the time be near.
If it's peace you find in dying, when dying time is here,
just bundle up my coffin cause it's cold way down there,
I hear that's it's cold way down there, yeah, crazy cold way down there.
And when I die and when I'm gone,
there'll be one child born and a world to carry on, to carry on.

My troubles are many, they're as deep as a well.
I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.
Swear there ain't no heaven and pray there ain't no hell,
but I'll never know by living, only my dying will tell,
only my dying will tell, yeah, only my dying will tell.

Give me my freedom for as long as I be.
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me,
and all I ask of dying is to go naturally, only want to go naturally.
Don't want to go by the devil, don't want to go by the demon,
don't want to go by Satan, don't want to die uneasy,
just let me go naturally.
there'll be one child born, there'll be one child born.
When I die, there'll be one child born.'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 16:09 - Apr 29 with 3813 viewsGeoffSentence

His confidence that many more people have had the virus than is known, but have not even realised it is rather comforting, but he doesn't offer anything to back that theory up.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 16:18 - Apr 29 with 3795 viewsDarth_Koont

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 16:09 - Apr 29 by GeoffSentence

His confidence that many more people have had the virus than is known, but have not even realised it is rather comforting, but he doesn't offer anything to back that theory up.

Think he's basing it on the early antibody tests that even though inaccurate showed that 15-20% of people in Stockholm had been infected. That was a few weeks ago as well but even so those numbers can be safely increased given the relative difficulty getting a positive result.

50% sounds a bit optimistic though, although who can say with so few people showing the severe signs of the illness and older people largely staying out of the way completely.

Pronouns: He/Him

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 16:19 - Apr 29 with 3792 viewsEwan_Oozami

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 15:52 - Apr 29 by WeWereZombies

I'm not wavering about taking my chances at the moment, and I turn sixty five next month. So I would be happy with a waiver.

This does it for me...

"And I am not afraid of dying.
Any time will do, I don’t mind.
Why should I be frightened of dying?
There’s no reason for it.
You’ve got to go sometime.!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 16:41 - Apr 29 with 3767 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 15:52 - Apr 29 by WeWereZombies

May as well go out licking a few Tory voters and doing the world a favour.

TWTD never forgets…

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 19:33 - Apr 29 with 3706 viewsWeWereZombies

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 16:19 - Apr 29 by Ewan_Oozami

This does it for me...

"And I am not afraid of dying.
Any time will do, I don’t mind.
Why should I be frightened of dying?
There’s no reason for it.
You’ve got to go sometime.!

There is also the slightly more highbrow William Carlos Williams 'The Last Words of My English Grandmother':

'There were some dirty plates
and a glass of milk
beside her on a small table
near the rank, disheveled bed--

Wrinkled and nearly blind
she lay and snored
rousing with anger in her tones
to cry for food,

Gimme something to eat--
They're starving me--
I'm all right--I won't go
to the hospital.No, no, no

Give me something to eat!
Let me take you
to the hospital, I said
and after you are well

you can do as you please.
She smiled, Yes
you do what you please first
then I can do what I please--

Oh, oh, oh! she cried
as the ambulance men lifted
her to the stretcher--
Is this what you call

making me comfortable?
By now her mind was clear--
Oh you think you're smart
you young people,

she said, but I'll tell you
you don't know anything.
Then we started.
On the way

we passed a long row
of elms. She looked at them
awhile out of
the ambulance window and said,

What are all those
fuzzy looking things out there?
Trees?Well, I'm tired
of them and rolled her head away.'

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 20:35 - Apr 29 with 3695 viewsBent_double

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 16:09 - Apr 29 by GeoffSentence

I agree, he seemed very confident that he was / would be proved right, but at the end of the day it's just his opinion, which seems to go against most other scientists worldwide.

He seemed to dismiss the virus as something that would 'just kill off older people a few months earlier' as well - what about the thousands of younger, healthier people who are dying from it too?

Talked about the numbers of deaths in lockdown countries versus non-lockdown countries being almost the same at the end....really??

It might be working for Sweden, but the population of their whole country is 10m, just over a million more than London, a major international transport hub and a city with a huge transient population that has been able to spread the virus all over the country.

Hope it works for the Swedes, but I wasn't convinced by his arguments.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Login to get fewer ads

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 07:47 - Apr 30 with 3628 viewsSharkey

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 03:16 - Apr 29 by urbanblue

The first interview I have seen where there has been no agenda or egos trying to win. He just quietly puts his thoughts across and as I said, lets us take from it what we will.

Obviously not all Scientists agree but a lot of what he said makes sense to me.

To be fair to Anders Tegnell, all the interviews I've seen with him have been similar. He stresses this is not a contest to see who is 'most right'.
This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 09:03 - Apr 30 with 3606 viewslongtimefan

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 16:41 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

May as well go out licking a few Tory voters and doing the world a favour.

I've got to say that is one of the most disgusting comments I've ever seen on this board! I may not be a Tory voter but my parents always were, and my mother continues to be so, that comment is personal to me. Your brain must be a convoluted place given your supposed concern about the number of deaths happening, mainly to the elderly, while simultaneously seemingly advocating the murder of Tory voters, who are massively overrepresented within that same section of the community.
This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 09:14 - Apr 30 with 3596 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 09:03 - Apr 30 by longtimefan

I've got to say that is one of the most disgusting comments I've ever seen on this board! I may not be a Tory voter but my parents always were, and my mother continues to be so, that comment is personal to me. Your brain must be a convoluted place given your supposed concern about the number of deaths happening, mainly to the elderly, while simultaneously seemingly advocating the murder of Tory voters, who are massively overrepresented within that same section of the community.

Blub.

TWTD never forgets…

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 09:28 - Apr 30 with 3577 viewsWeWereZombies

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 09:14 - Apr 30 by monytowbray

Blub.

Considering the appeals you make to the forum asking for consideration of your issues I think that response shows true lack of empathy. To carry on in this fashion is just a race to the bottom where people are left in their individual silos lobbing muck into other silos, if you genuinely want some understanding it helps to show a little capacity for understanding in anotehr direction. And your previous reply when I posted that lovely Laura Nyro song was not in accordance with the spirit in which I posted it.

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 09:33 - Apr 30 with 3561 viewsDarth_Koont

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 09:28 - Apr 30 by WeWereZombies

Considering the appeals you make to the forum asking for consideration of your issues I think that response shows true lack of empathy. To carry on in this fashion is just a race to the bottom where people are left in their individual silos lobbing muck into other silos, if you genuinely want some understanding it helps to show a little capacity for understanding in anotehr direction. And your previous reply when I posted that lovely Laura Nyro song was not in accordance with the spirit in which I posted it.

Agreed.

While I think longtimefan got the wrong end of the stick, it's not nice to dismiss his post in that way. I think an apology is in order.

Pronouns: He/Him

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 10:38 - Apr 30 with 3537 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 09:28 - Apr 30 by WeWereZombies

My honest take is there’s a massive cognitive dissonance to take offence to a clear joke to lighten the mood when the most offensive thing going on was 5 weeks ago killing off a few oldies wasn’t an issue for the government.

But I read it when I woke up and thought “I really can’t be bothered with this today”, hence the short and less considered reply, so I apologise.

Don’t let anyone tell you I lack self-awareness or am incapable of seeing when I am being a dick. Alas, most the time I’m not, I just have strong opinions but can admit when my logic is faulty.

Never let me post here before I’ve had at least two coffees.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 10:41]

TWTD never forgets…

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 10:51 - Apr 30 with 3530 viewsLord_Lucan

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 09:03 - Apr 30 by longtimefan

Callis obviously isn't the brightest spark on the planet but I don't think that was too offensive. It was (I would imagine) supposed to be a joke, the sort of thing you get sent on whatsapp by friends all day.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:34 - Apr 30 with 3486 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 10:51 - Apr 30 by Lord_Lucan

Callis obviously isn't the brightest spark on the planet but I don't think that was too offensive. It was (I would imagine) supposed to be a joke, the sort of thing you get sent on whatsapp by friends all day.

Not the brightest spark? What do you base that on? The way things have panned out so far I think I see through the BS much clearer than many on here who can’t/won’t.

TWTD never forgets…

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 18:41 - Apr 30 with 3452 viewsflimflam

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:04 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

If I were ruining the board, which I’ll certainly vouch I’ve done for periods (as have many polarised regular posters over the years COUGH Glasgow COUGH) the pile in and upvotes for his post would be huge.

His opinion and actual sentiment on the board don’t add up.

As the man said people can't be arsed anymore.

It's groundhog day on here everyday and the same faces churning out the same negative garbage back slapping each other and believing their view is the only view.

I certainly spend less time on here as do others I know.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 20:54 - Apr 30 with 3420 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 18:41 - Apr 30 by flimflam

As the man said people can't be arsed anymore.

It's groundhog day on here everyday and the same faces churning out the same negative garbage back slapping each other and believing their view is the only view.

I certainly spend less time on here as do others I know.

So the “positive” garbage is fine by your book? If so, you might be part of the problem.

TWTD never forgets…

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 23:54 - Apr 30 with 3376 viewsjeera

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:14 - Apr 29 by urbanblue

What I am saying is that it is clear from your comment that you didn't listen to the interview.
The professor said that it was not a Herd Immunity approach though different from a Lockdown. He then went on to explain the reasoning behind his ideas.

As much as I will always respect your opinion your post did not have any relevance to the OP or the post you were replying to and seemed just like a rant to me.

"The professor said that it was not a Herd Immunity approach..."

He did, although qualified that with the caveat that it is an inevitable side-effect.

Then only a question or so down the line he mentions immunity as the first positive result of their approach and then goes on to say how the old and frail will be the first casualties but that it's more acceptable because they would soon be dead anyway.

When questioned on younger people also dying it was equally dismissed with the fact that their numbers will be smaller and that some deaths in those brackets are also inevitable too.

Near the end he tried to say that other countries; i.e. the likes of Germany, are reopening some sections of their community as though verification that Sweden have done the right thing, and that they are somehow now following suit, instead of acknowledging that maybe Germany's death rate would have been horrendously higher and their health service unable to cope if they hadn't imposed drastic measures.

He doesn't seem to make much of a deal either of population numbers and density, not even knowing close to the figure of the UK population, citing some 50 million of us before being corrected.

I'm not sure what he has said that could be construed as enlightening at all tbh, and he just seemed intent to me to defend Sweden's measures, purporting them to be better than everyone else.

I hope for their sake their approach works for them, but in no way does that mean it would be right for other nations.

That's not to say I'm ungrateful to you for posting as I did listen to it with some interest.

I did think the interviewer was pertinent throughout.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 15:23 - Jun 3 with 3239 viewsWeWereZombies

An update from Anders Tegnell:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52903717

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024