Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... 02:35 - Apr 29 with 7649 viewsurbanblue

Professor Johan Giesecke, one of the world’s most senior epidemiologists, advisor to the Swedish Government (he hired Anders Tegnell who is currently directing Swedish strategy), the first Chief Scientist of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, and an advisor to the director general of the WHO.

The man knows his stuff!

How an interview should be done. Simple Questions and Answers enabeling the listener to make up their own mind ... A must listen!

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 03:00 - Apr 29 with 3725 viewsmonytowbray

This is what happens when you can actually back your theory.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 03:16 - Apr 29 with 3729 viewsurbanblue

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 03:00 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

This is what happens when you can actually back your theory.

The first interview I have seen where there has been no agenda or egos trying to win. He just quietly puts his thoughts across and as I said, lets us take from it what we will.

Obviously not all Scientists agree but a lot of what he said makes sense to me.
This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 06:54 - Apr 29 with 3635 viewsWeWereZombies

Thanks for that, normally when someone posts a video longer than five minutes I think 'dear God...' but I gave that one a go and stuck with it all the way through. Not saying I am swallowing the Professor's point of view hook, line and sinker but it is a nice pause for thought.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 10:26 - Apr 29 with 3463 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 06:54 - Apr 29 by WeWereZombies

Thanks for that, normally when someone posts a video longer than five minutes I think 'dear God...' but I gave that one a go and stuck with it all the way through. Not saying I am swallowing the Professor's point of view hook, line and sinker but it is a nice pause for thought.

It’s also worth noting they’re not running as “normal” and still encourage people to stay at home. “Large” gatherings are still banned and social distancing is recommended From what I’ve read the Swedes have faith in their ruling factions and are able to, ya know, behave.

It’s very different to our “take it on your chin, some of you might lose your loved ones, let’s allow Cheltenham to go ahead” version of HI we went for.

TWTD never forgets…

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 11:08 - Apr 29 with 3431 viewsWeWereZombies

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 10:26 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

It’s also worth noting they’re not running as “normal” and still encourage people to stay at home. “Large” gatherings are still banned and social distancing is recommended From what I’ve read the Swedes have faith in their ruling factions and are able to, ya know, behave.

It’s very different to our “take it on your chin, some of you might lose your loved ones, let’s allow Cheltenham to go ahead” version of HI we went for.

But Professor Giesecke is broadly in agreement with the approach that the United Kingdom took. He scoffs at the 'one hundred and eighty degree turn that Boris Johnson took' as a move AWAY from the right approach. He would have seen us close access to care homes for all but essential workers (and increase the instruction rate for non-native speakers), ban gatherings of fifty people or more and ram home the message of hand washing and social distancing. However, the pubs, restaurants and 'non-essential' shops would have stayed open. most importantly the schools would have stayed open. Maybe you need to watch the video again (but not with subtitles as I thought I needed to because of my hearing loss, there are a few howlers on the transcription).

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 12:23 - Apr 29 with 3368 viewsurbanblue

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 10:26 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

You didn't listen to the interview did you ....
This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 13:13 - Apr 29 with 3338 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 12:23 - Apr 29 by urbanblue

Or course he didn’t. He’s also being disingenuous with this “take it in the chin” comment.

https://fullfact.org/health/boris-johnson-coronavirus-this-morning/

He’s absolutely ruining this board. I know posters who are posting less because of it.

I log on once again today only to see the usual bollox. That’s me off for the day.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 13:14]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 13:16 - Apr 29 with 3328 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 12:23 - Apr 29 by urbanblue

What part of what I said isn’t true in what Sweden are doing that we weren’t in our approach.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 13:18 - Apr 29 with 3324 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 13:13 - Apr 29 by GlasgowBlue

Or course he didn’t. He’s also being disingenuous with this “take it in the chin” comment.

He’s absolutely ruining this board. I know posters who are posting less because of it.

I log on once again today only to see the usual bollox. That’s me off for the day.

I’m glad our resident Chief in Tory Propaganda is still here to provide a defence for the 20k+ deaths that would have been a good result if we didn’t pass it.

TWTD never forgets…

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:01 - Apr 29 with 3272 viewseireblue

Well it is good of you to take a break from your businesses, family and sanding, and take the time to have another pop at Callis.

We are all immensely grateful, consider my forelock tugged.

When Gav is back, I am sure you will take him to task for not explaining the ignore button, or making it more prominent in the terms and conditions that reading all posts is not mandatory.

Again, thanks for taking time out.
This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:04 - Apr 29 with 3266 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:01 - Apr 29 by eireblue

Well it is good of you to take a break from your businesses, family and sanding, and take the time to have another pop at Callis.

We are all immensely grateful, consider my forelock tugged.

When Gav is back, I am sure you will take him to task for not explaining the ignore button, or making it more prominent in the terms and conditions that reading all posts is not mandatory.

Again, thanks for taking time out.

If I were ruining the board, which I’ll certainly vouch I’ve done for periods (as have many polarised regular posters over the years COUGH Glasgow COUGH) the pile in and upvotes for his post would be huge.

His opinion and actual sentiment on the board don’t add up.

TWTD never forgets…

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:14 - Apr 29 with 3246 viewsurbanblue

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 13:16 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

What part of what I said isn’t true in what Sweden are doing that we weren’t in our approach.

What I am saying is that it is clear from your comment that you didn't listen to the interview.
The professor said that it was not a Herd Immunity approach though different from a Lockdown. He then went on to explain the reasoning behind his ideas.

As much as I will always respect your opinion your post did not have any relevance to the OP or the post you were replying to and seemed just like a rant to me.
This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:18 - Apr 29 with 3239 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:14 - Apr 29 by urbanblue

What I am saying is that it is clear from your comment that you didn't listen to the interview.
The professor said that it was not a Herd Immunity approach though different from a Lockdown. He then went on to explain the reasoning behind his ideas.

As much as I will always respect your opinion your post did not have any relevance to the OP or the post you were replying to and seemed just like a rant to me.

The interview compared our approach to their approach. We went for no lockdown with no measures, they went for no lockdown with considerable methods.

I don’t see what is factually incorrect or irrelevant in that statement. And yes I did listen to the video.

TWTD never forgets…

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:22 - Apr 29 with 3229 viewsWeWereZombies

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:18 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

The interview compared our approach to their approach. We went for no lockdown with no measures, they went for no lockdown with considerable methods.

I don’t see what is factually incorrect or irrelevant in that statement. And yes I did listen to the video.

Our measures of hand washing and social distancing were pretty clearly stated by the Chief Medical Officers of the four nations but perhaps the Swedes have proven themselves a bit better at listening to that advice.

And being calm.

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:25 - Apr 29 with 3220 viewsDarth_Koont

Gmpf.

Pronouns: He/Him

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:27 - Apr 29 with 3212 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:22 - Apr 29 by WeWereZombies

Our measures of hand washing and social distancing were pretty clearly stated by the Chief Medical Officers of the four nations but perhaps the Swedes have proven themselves a bit better at listening to that advice.

And being calm.

I don’t remember any advice about social distancing until the U turn in approach. I could be wrong though in my memory as a month and a half is a long time in COVID days

The Swedes certainly wouldn’t have let Cheltenham go ahead. Or 3 sold out Stereophonics gigs. Or let a load of Spanish football fans over.

Plus evidently their healthcare system and population spread factors are very different to us.

I’m just getting a bit bored of the typical lazy “WELL IT’S WORKING FOR SWEDEN” deflection point (not that anyone’s said it in this specific thread) when it’s evident we’d be in USA territory of f*cked had we stuck to our guns.

TWTD never forgets…

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:27 - Apr 29 with 3212 viewsurbanblue

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:18 - Apr 29 by monytowbray

Fair enough!

Measures were being introduced in the UK. though. The lockdown came when, as we know, there was a change of tack.

As the Professor said though, time will tell exactly how we all come out of this.
This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:29 - Apr 29 with 3202 viewsmonytowbray

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:27 - Apr 29 by urbanblue

Fair enough!

Measures were being introduced in the UK. though. The lockdown came when, as we know, there was a change of tack.

As the Professor said though, time will tell exactly how we all come out of this.

It’s good we “only” have 20k deaths rather than being on course for 500k as we were, but we’d bot have 20k either had we got it right to start with.

TWTD never forgets…

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:30 - Apr 29 with 3197 viewsLord_Lucan

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:27 - Apr 29 by urbanblue

Fair enough!

Our lockdown was before yours and NZ and one day after Germany.

I note that you lot are dressing up for bin days!

On a positive note my hair is romping on and no one is seeing the "in between" stage, by end of lockdown I will be like Jesus.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:33 - Apr 29 with 3185 viewsDarth_Koont

I think he confirms what should have been apparent from the start. There isn't a Herd Immunity approach or a Lockdown approach, rather a flattening the curve approach that combines both.

Flattening the curve is the combination of the short-term (managing healthcare resources) and the long-term view that this can't be contained before a vaccine is widely available. Most representations I saw account for these second or third waves.

The UK message seems to be lurching between blind extremes that don't really take into account the fact that Coronavirus can't be contained in any meaningful sense over the long-term. Unless we stay in lockdown until the vaccine kicks in ... round about this time next year if we're lucky.

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:43 - Apr 29 with 3160 viewsurbanblue

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:30 - Apr 29 by Lord_Lucan

Our lockdown was before yours and NZ and one day after Germany.

I note that you lot are dressing up for bin days!

On a positive note my hair is romping on and no one is seeing the "in between" stage, by end of lockdown I will be like Jesus.

Hiya Luces! Has to be said though, that our lockdown has been pretty cruisy compared to yours.

Shops still open, and yes, going to a book or clothes shop can be viewed as 'essential' if you need (ahem) a book or a shirt or something. Cafes and restaurants open for take aways. I head to the beach for a swim and a coffee most mornings then back down in the evenings for my official 'exercise' walk and swim.

I'm doing hair again although I closed for a couple of weeks. Couldn't understand how they left us open as if we were somehow immune! It's only because our stats are so good that i feel comfortable getting back on the scissors. Need to get earning again as well.

Glad you are hanging in there with the hair. Something to do eh! I reckon there are a few 'Boris' styles over there now.
This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:49 - Apr 29 with 3152 viewsurbanblue

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:33 - Apr 29 by Darth_Koont

I think he confirms what should have been apparent from the start. There isn't a Herd Immunity approach or a Lockdown approach, rather a flattening the curve approach that combines both.

Flattening the curve is the combination of the short-term (managing healthcare resources) and the long-term view that this can't be contained before a vaccine is widely available. Most representations I saw account for these second or third waves.

The UK message seems to be lurching between blind extremes that don't really take into account the fact that Coronavirus can't be contained in any meaningful sense over the long-term. Unless we stay in lockdown until the vaccine kicks in ... round about this time next year if we're lucky.

I was getting the impression that he feels this has to be 'managed' as opposed to relying on a vaccine.

It was interesting when he said that if Influenza hadn't existed and came along now , we would probably be doing all this!
This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 15:03 - Apr 29 with 3125 viewsDarth_Koont

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:49 - Apr 29 by urbanblue

I was getting the impression that he feels this has to be 'managed' as opposed to relying on a vaccine.

It was interesting when he said that if Influenza hadn't existed and came along now , we would probably be doing all this!

Undoubtedly, it has to be managed rather than contained. Waiting for a vaccine under lockdown conditions would be a purely reactive and fearful response. That would undoubtedly cause more health problems and deaths in the long run due to a tanking economy and other byproducts.

Yeah, that was a good point. Certainly Covid-19 has a worse effect on certain groups (especially healthcare professionals) so it's important to put all efforts into shielding them. But looks like we're more in the ball park of a bad flu for the general population. But we seem to have taken on the general panic and a general approach and rather ignored the specific protections that should be put in place.

As he mentioned, Sweden got that part wrong for the care homes but we haven't even properly addressed the actual cases and deaths yet, let alone that we got it wrong.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 15:04]

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 15:16 - Apr 29 with 3101 viewsurbanblue

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 15:03 - Apr 29 by Darth_Koont

Undoubtedly, it has to be managed rather than contained. Waiting for a vaccine under lockdown conditions would be a purely reactive and fearful response. That would undoubtedly cause more health problems and deaths in the long run due to a tanking economy and other byproducts.

Yeah, that was a good point. Certainly Covid-19 has a worse effect on certain groups (especially healthcare professionals) so it's important to put all efforts into shielding them. But looks like we're more in the ball park of a bad flu for the general population. But we seem to have taken on the general panic and a general approach and rather ignored the specific protections that should be put in place.

As he mentioned, Sweden got that part wrong for the care homes but we haven't even properly addressed the actual cases and deaths yet, let alone that we got it wrong.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 15:04]

I really cannot see how the lockdown can go on too long. As I said in another post on here we have got it pretty easy here in Oz compared to you. Still, my 12 year old daughter is really missing her friends and school. The kids are the forgotten 'victims' (probably the wrong word) of a lockdown. They are missing their childhood. Today, I had a client in his 70's who said he'd rather take his chances then see out his days like this!

No easy answer, but even here people are getting restless, although probably even more so with our low figures.
This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 15:23 - Apr 29 with 3086 viewsRadlett_blue

This is an absolutely absorbing interview ... on 14:49 - Apr 29 by urbanblue

Also, the Prof made the point that many of the people who have died of COVID-19 would have died shortly anyway. Can you see any politician standing up & saying that? The media (& the opposition) would have crucified them & the media would have obviously found some cases of people who had died who weren't in poor health.
What the Prof said about moving out of lockdown was rather like the Irish response to the man asking for directions "If I wanted to get there, I wouldn't start from here". As he said, if the UK completely relaxes the lockdown, there will be a surge of cases & the NHS may be overwhelmed. The blinding conclusion is that we need to start carefully moving out of lockdown now.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024