Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread 11:31 - Apr 29 with 3827 viewsBlueBadger

Loach(Struggled with this one tbh, I just picked him because of his name)
Uhlenbeek Thetis Naylor Harbey
Haynes Hyam Bajner Richards
Emmanual-Thomas
Nouble

Man: J. Royle.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 11:32]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 11:34 - Apr 29 with 2672 viewshomer_123

I'd pop Michael Cole ahead of Nouble.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 11:36 - Apr 29 with 2670 viewsfooters

Not sure if posted elsewhere but big Frank's in the Graun today too...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/29/colchester-united-chairman-fran

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 11:37 - Apr 29 with 2656 viewsWeWereZombies

I would rate Naylor and Matt Richards as quite good rather than a 'bit crap', same goes for the manager. And where's Dave Hill?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 11:56 - Apr 29 with 2619 viewsGeoffSentence

Well.......there's this one goalkeeper who, whilst he wasn't the best wasn't as bad as people made out, who I quite liked.

Not sure if I should add him to this thread though, 'cos like I said he wasnt really that crap.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 11:58 - Apr 29 with 2610 viewsRadlett_blue

I think Loach was likeable because he really wanted to play for Town, although he wasn't very good. I had a boss many years ago whose surname was Loach (no relation). He wasn't very good either.
I'd definitely include Naylor in the "not very good but likeable" category as he always tried to be as good as he could be, which sometimes wasn't bad.
Thetis was a real cult hero.
Other players I liked but who had less than stellar Town careers were John Kennedy, Jonas Axeldal, Conor Sammon, Scott Barron, Billy Clarke & David Wright.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 11:58 - Apr 29 with 2608 viewsgainsboroughblue

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 11:34 - Apr 29 by homer_123

I'd pop Michael Cole ahead of Nouble.

Yeah. But who would you play?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:12 - Apr 29 with 2562 viewsMattinLondon

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 11:58 - Apr 29 by Radlett_blue

I think Loach was likeable because he really wanted to play for Town, although he wasn't very good. I had a boss many years ago whose surname was Loach (no relation). He wasn't very good either.
I'd definitely include Naylor in the "not very good but likeable" category as he always tried to be as good as he could be, which sometimes wasn't bad.
Thetis was a real cult hero.
Other players I liked but who had less than stellar Town careers were John Kennedy, Jonas Axeldal, Conor Sammon, Scott Barron, Billy Clarke & David Wright.

David Wright was a good player. Bit harsh on Billy Clarke as he had some awful injuries which hindered his time here.
The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:15 - Apr 29 with 2549 viewsRadlett_blue

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:12 - Apr 29 by MattinLondon

David Wright was a good player. Bit harsh on Billy Clarke as he had some awful injuries which hindered his time here.

Yes, I wasn't denigrating all of these as poor players. They were a mixture of players who amused me, such as Thetis, Axeldal & Sammon, plus some others whom I think could/should have had better Town careers. Wright & Clarke definitely come into that category.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:20 - Apr 29 with 2526 viewsbluelagos

Harbey? Are you fcking mental?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:22 - Apr 29 with 2520 viewsurbanblue

First name on the team sheet has to be Boncho!
The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:24 - Apr 29 with 2511 viewsWeWereZombies

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 11:36 - Apr 29 by footers

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/29/colchester-united-chairman-fran

That's an erudite summation from a player some regarded as the proverbial two planks. Like Kieron's analyses ,and a lot of the comments in the elevens submitted to him, it shows that football is a game played in the head as much as it is on the pitch.

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:26 - Apr 29 with 2506 viewsChutney

Royle is the best manager this club has had since Burley, so he certainly shouldn't be on this list.

JET had something about him, but he couldn't find a consistent level of performance and 1 good performance in every 4 isn't going to cut the mustard. I actually think he would've made a much better left back than further forward where he had a tendency to go missing for large periods / months.

Bit harsh on Naylor IMO, he was every bit good enough in the 2nd tier for many years, both as a forward and centre back. Not just here but also at Leeds.

Haynes really excited me, I really liked him and not just because he liked scoring against Norwich. His pace was electric and there was a period under Jim where he was class. Anyone remember beating Palace 4-1 away (2009?). Haynes was completely unplayable in the first half before running out of steam. That's when we had a proper side though - Miller, Walters, McAuley, Bruce, Norris, Stead, Counago etc. Not like the dross we have now.
The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:31 - Apr 29 with 2491 viewsfabian_illness

Scott’s dad is one of my best mates.
His dad was signed at Forrest when Shilton was there, cracking bloke, life and soul of any get together. He was the driving force behind Scott and pushed him quite hard.
Scott was technically very good at a young age and was one of Malcolm Webster’s young stars but not sure his heart was really in it.
The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:34 - Apr 29 with 2480 viewsMattinLondon

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:26 - Apr 29 by Chutney

Royle is the best manager this club has had since Burley, so he certainly shouldn't be on this list.

JET had something about him, but he couldn't find a consistent level of performance and 1 good performance in every 4 isn't going to cut the mustard. I actually think he would've made a much better left back than further forward where he had a tendency to go missing for large periods / months.

Bit harsh on Naylor IMO, he was every bit good enough in the 2nd tier for many years, both as a forward and centre back. Not just here but also at Leeds.

Haynes really excited me, I really liked him and not just because he liked scoring against Norwich. His pace was electric and there was a period under Jim where he was class. Anyone remember beating Palace 4-1 away (2009?). Haynes was completely unplayable in the first half before running out of steam. That's when we had a proper side though - Miller, Walters, McAuley, Bruce, Norris, Stead, Counago etc. Not like the dross we have now.

Royle failed badly - in my opinion. He should have achieved promotion in his first couple of seasons but he didn’t. Ruined both Pablo and Dean Bowditch - he got away with it as the football was fun (had a good squad) and the financial situation glossed over the fact that he was tactically still in the 1980s.
The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:38 - Apr 29 with 2467 viewsMattinLondon

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:15 - Apr 29 by Radlett_blue

Yes, I wasn't denigrating all of these as poor players. They were a mixture of players who amused me, such as Thetis, Axeldal & Sammon, plus some others whom I think could/should have had better Town careers. Wright & Clarke definitely come into that category.

Oh ok - but how could David Wright have had a better career here? He played 120 games in three seasons - which proves that he played much more often than not?
The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:41 - Apr 29 with 2450 viewsDarth_Koont

Haynes was a favourite because his pace was ridiculous and he was a very powerful striker of the ball when he connected.

I always expected him to score Dalian Atkinson-esque goals but the reality was nothing like that.

Pronouns: He/Him

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:50 - Apr 29 with 2432 viewsLibero

Scott Loach, GK
Gus Uhlenbeek,DR
Georges Santos, DC
Damien Delaney, DC
Shane O’Connor, DL
George O’Callaghan, MC
Jimmy Juan, MC
Kevin Bru, MC
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, RF
Frank Nouble, CF
Larsen Toure, LF

SUB
Luke Varney
The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:52 - Apr 29 with 2417 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Royle??????? Not Magilton?

Royle has been our best manager since 2002 so how can he be classified as a manager of 'bit of crap' 11? If he had had same resources as Magilton (following Evans' take over) things would have been different and better for us.

Magilton wasted loads of money, 12 points from the top 6 when he got sacked and he ought to be on that list. Well below Joe Royle in a managerial hierarchy.
The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:55 - Apr 29 with 2409 viewsMach_foreignBlue

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:34 - Apr 29 by MattinLondon

Royle failed badly - in my opinion. He should have achieved promotion in his first couple of seasons but he didn’t. Ruined both Pablo and Dean Bowditch - he got away with it as the football was fun (had a good squad) and the financial situation glossed over the fact that he was tactically still in the 1980s.

Ruined Pablo and Bowditch? Dear me what a tripe !

Bowditch had had an umpteen of chances to prove himself and he failed. Simple.

We had had Westlake and Richards who both would thrive under Royle but their careers were ruined by Royle's successor.
The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:56 - Apr 29 with 2406 viewsWeWereZombies

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:31 - Apr 29 by fabian_illness

Scott’s dad is one of my best mates.
His dad was signed at Forrest when Shilton was there, cracking bloke, life and soul of any get together. He was the driving force behind Scott and pushed him quite hard.
Scott was technically very good at a young age and was one of Malcolm Webster’s young stars but not sure his heart was really in it.

He sounds like a professional cynic...

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 13:01 - Apr 29 with 2390 viewsChutney

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:34 - Apr 29 by MattinLondon

It's a tough one as he definitely had a good squad at his disposal at the start of his reign, but coming in mid season and going into administration almost immediately was a real choker. He did well to turn us around after replacing Burley, just missing out on PO's and then back to back play off finishes the following 2 seasons, including just being pipped by Wigan. Personnel wise we were strong, but the back drop of the club being a mess financially and losing some of his best players wasn't a good hand to be dealt. A lot of his former players rave about how good a manager he was, and given the jobs he did at Oldham and Everton too I don't think there's any doubting he was class. Had we been able to stave off administration for 12 months longer we might've gone 1 step further and got back up. Hey ho, we are where we are now.
The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 13:04 - Apr 29 with 2376 viewsBlueBadger

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:52 - Apr 29 by Mach_foreignBlue

Royle??????? Not Magilton?

Royle has been our best manager since 2002 so how can he be classified as a manager of 'bit of crap' 11? If he had had same resources as Magilton (following Evans' take over) things would have been different and better for us.

Magilton wasted loads of money, 12 points from the top 6 when he got sacked and he ought to be on that list. Well below Joe Royle in a managerial hierarchy.

Royle should have gotten us promoted with the side he inherited. It was fun...but a bit rubbish at heart.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 13:05 - Apr 29 with 2366 viewsHullblue

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 12:26 - Apr 29 by Chutney

Weirdly enough I was thinking the same thing about Danny Haynes last night.

His finishing was excellent at times - one at home against Norwich where he opened his body out and bent it in the corner stands out. And didn’t he score a hat-trick away at Hull (or maybe Coventry) once? He looked unplayable.

I can’t remember why it didn’t work out for him, but if anyone can shed any light I’d be interested.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 13:06 - Apr 29 with 2365 viewsBlueBadger

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 11:36 - Apr 29 by footers

This is what inspired the thread.

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 13:06 - Apr 29 with 2360 viewsMach_foreignBlue

The 'bit crap but you liked them anyway' XI thread on 13:01 - Apr 29 by Chutney

It's a tough one as he definitely had a good squad at his disposal at the start of his reign, but coming in mid season and going into administration almost immediately was a real choker. He did well to turn us around after replacing Burley, just missing out on PO's and then back to back play off finishes the following 2 seasons, including just being pipped by Wigan. Personnel wise we were strong, but the back drop of the club being a mess financially and losing some of his best players wasn't a good hand to be dealt. A lot of his former players rave about how good a manager he was, and given the jobs he did at Oldham and Everton too I don't think there's any doubting he was class. Had we been able to stave off administration for 12 months longer we might've gone 1 step further and got back up. Hey ho, we are where we are now.

Sorted Burleys mess and still finished just outside the top 6. If only we could have kept Ambrose and Hreidarsson but for the administration.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024