Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Booking / Ryanair... 11:18 - Apr 30 with 4325 viewsTIB

Has anyone got anything booked with either company or dealing with them at present?

I have organised a stag do to Berlin for July and am now trying to work out what's going to happen to try and reassure the group. It seems like Ryanair are going to do all they can to keep flying people whilst Booking.com are saying to cancel I either have to pay the £500 cost or contact the hotel directly to request free cancellation, they have no email and I've yet to have the phone answered. I have read online people stating they've been in same situation and their booked hotels are fully closed up but are still taking booking payments.

I currently have visions of being flown to Berlin, where we will be locked in our hotel for two days before maybe being flown home unless the return flight is cancelled!?!
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 11:20]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Booking / Ryanair... on 11:27 - Apr 30 with 3346 viewsIpswichKnight

I would be very surprised if anything is re-opened that quickly, if you paid by credit card and booking.com are proving to be as helpful as ever contact your card issuer and raise a chargeback for goods or services not provided they will refund you your money and the hotel/Booking.com will then have to deal with VISA/Mastercard and explain why they refused to give you a refund when you could clearly not travel.
Booking / Ryanair... on 11:32 - Apr 30 with 3338 viewsTIB

Booking / Ryanair... on 11:27 - Apr 30 by IpswichKnight

I would be very surprised if anything is re-opened that quickly, if you paid by credit card and booking.com are proving to be as helpful as ever contact your card issuer and raise a chargeback for goods or services not provided they will refund you your money and the hotel/Booking.com will then have to deal with VISA/Mastercard and explain why they refused to give you a refund when you could clearly not travel.

Cheers Knight. It's a payment on arrival job with them having my debit card details as the account that payment will come from. Not sure if that puts me in a better or worse position? The whole group have said we want to cancel, not just because it will be sh*t but also that it's 8 weeks away and would be totally irresponsible with everything going off. In an ideal world the likes of Ryanair would be giving people the option to cancel or re-arrange!?!

Booking / Ryanair... on 11:43 - Apr 30 with 3320 viewsAce_High1

Booking / Ryanair... on 11:32 - Apr 30 by TIB

Cheers Knight. It's a payment on arrival job with them having my debit card details as the account that payment will come from. Not sure if that puts me in a better or worse position? The whole group have said we want to cancel, not just because it will be sh*t but also that it's 8 weeks away and would be totally irresponsible with everything going off. In an ideal world the likes of Ryanair would be giving people the option to cancel or re-arrange!?!

Can you do cancel it online?

If its payment on arrival, you can normal cancel online or on the App?
Booking / Ryanair... on 12:08 - Apr 30 with 3303 viewsRadlett_blue

The impression I have is that banks or card companies are very reluctant to try to resolve these situations as they are extremely labour and administrative intensive. I reckon your best bet is to try to contact the hotel as there is a fair chance they will act fairly. As far as Ryanair are concerned, I would not cancel the flight, but wait for it to be cancelled as it almost certainly will & then they will have to eventually return your money.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Booking / Ryanair... on 12:25 - Apr 30 with 3277 viewsuefacup81

If you can do it, might it be worth changing your payment card to a credit card? That way, at least, you'll be better protected if they still end up taking the payment.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Booking / Ryanair... on 12:57 - Apr 30 with 3247 viewsBasuco

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52483453
Not just you having problems it seems.
Booking / Ryanair... on 13:22 - Apr 30 with 3227 viewsTractorWood

Ryanair have been all over the press for saying they will refund people and then recently U-turning for vouchers. Despite this being illegal for cancelled flights.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-ryanair-criticis

I was meant to be going on a stag do to Cologne a few weeks ago and have taken it up with my bank to reverse. As someone says above this takes about 3 months if they can be bothered.

It's only £60 but out of principle I'll fight it to the bitter end.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Booking / Ryanair... on 13:37 - Apr 30 with 3209 viewsTIB

Booking / Ryanair... on 11:43 - Apr 30 by Ace_High1

Can you do cancel it online?

If its payment on arrival, you can normal cancel online or on the App?

I tried this but it’s asking for full payment or offering option to contact hotel directly but no answer.

Login to get fewer ads

Booking / Ryanair... on 13:38 - Apr 30 with 3205 viewsTIB

Booking / Ryanair... on 12:25 - Apr 30 by uefacup81

If you can do it, might it be worth changing your payment card to a credit card? That way, at least, you'll be better protected if they still end up taking the payment.

I did see “Change Payment Option” last night so will have a look and try that tonight.

Booking / Ryanair... on 13:54 - Apr 30 with 3187 viewsRadlett_blue

Booking / Ryanair... on 13:22 - Apr 30 by TractorWood

Ryanair have been all over the press for saying they will refund people and then recently U-turning for vouchers. Despite this being illegal for cancelled flights.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-ryanair-criticis

I was meant to be going on a stag do to Cologne a few weeks ago and have taken it up with my bank to reverse. As someone says above this takes about 3 months if they can be bothered.

Under European law, if your flight is cancelled, the airline have to give you a refund, not vouchers, if you insist. Of course, most airlines are making it near impossible to get your money back, browbeating customers into accepting vouchers, which may be near worthless.

Booking / Ryanair... on 14:06 - Apr 30 with 3161 viewsBluefish

Booking / Ryanair... on 13:22 - Apr 30 by TractorWood

Is Pasha still open?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Booking / Ryanair... on 14:09 - Apr 30 with 3173 viewsPinewoodblue

Booking / Ryanair... on 12:08 - Apr 30 by Radlett_blue

The impression I have is that banks or card companies are very reluctant to try to resolve these situations as they are extremely labour and administrative intensive. I reckon your best bet is to try to contact the hotel as there is a fair chance they will act fairly. As far as Ryanair are concerned, I would not cancel the flight, but wait for it to be cancelled as it almost certainly will & then they will have to eventually return your money.

Ryanair are currently issuing vouchers which, after 12 months, if you haven’t used they will convert to cash but only if you remember to ask. They are apparently lobbying the EU to change currently legislation which says you should be refunded within 7 days.

Booking.com have been more than fair with us. We booked hotel in Fort Lauderdale, paid in full on no refund basis. BA stopped flying there so booked to fly to Miami and booked hotel near the airport. Saw the Lauderdale booking as dead money. When this all started Booking.Com offered full refund on the Lauderdale Hotel which we willingly accepted.

Think the OP should sit it out and see what happens, although wouldn’t have thought prospects were good.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Booking / Ryanair... on 14:29 - Apr 30 with 3160 viewsTractorWood

Booking / Ryanair... on 13:54 - Apr 30 by Radlett_blue

Under European law, if your flight is cancelled, the airline have to give you a refund, not vouchers, if you insist. Of course, most airlines are making it near impossible to get your money back, browbeating customers into accepting vouchers, which may be near worthless.

I know and that's what I told my bank to get them to engage with the reverse charge.

As you say how do you channel outrage against a company that makes it impossible to contact them or request the refund.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Booking / Ryanair... on 14:40 - Apr 30 with 3153 viewsWeWereZombies

Booking / Ryanair... on 12:08 - Apr 30 by Radlett_blue

Not so, I spoke to Santander a couple of weeks ago, they could not have been more helpful. Gave me half an hour or so on the phone to explain my situation (one off cruise cancelled, re-booking voucher offered but all their other cruises are way more expensive) and they logged the case straight away, received some very straightforward forms to fill in four days later. Filled in and attached supporting documents, sent by return of post. A few days later the charge was cancelled on my credit card and the day before yesterday I got a confirming letter to acknowledge this and advise that the cruise company have been given forty five days to challenge the cancellation.

So I would advise anyone who paid either by credit or debit card (and there was a post on here a few days ago about someone who has been given the chargeback procedure even though they booked by debit card) to contact the card provider, apologise for having to take their time up with the matter (I think that got the call centre operator sympathetic, also it was just after seven in the evening so maybe the longer she kept me talking the better chance there was that mine would be the last call she had to take that day), and be nice to them because they are getting a lot of the calls at the moment I imagine.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Booking / Ryanair... on 15:33 - Apr 30 with 3109 viewsElephantintheRoom

What makes you think that budget airlines can survive the new world order...and why on earth would you want to risk it?

At least social distancing and all it implies give Ryan Air their longed-for opportunity to remove toilets from their planes - but at the very least there will be very few seats occupied and huge delays whilst their planes are deep cleaned at each end of the yo-yo.

There are more comfortable ways to risk getting a fatal disease

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Booking / Ryanair... on 16:05 - Apr 30 with 3087 viewsFenoit

Booking / Ryanair... on 15:33 - Apr 30 by ElephantintheRoom

What makes you think that budget airlines can survive the new world order...and why on earth would you want to risk it?

At least social distancing and all it implies give Ryan Air their longed-for opportunity to remove toilets from their planes - but at the very least there will be very few seats occupied and huge delays whilst their planes are deep cleaned at each end of the yo-yo.

There are more comfortable ways to risk getting a fatal disease

Re: the payment on your debit card which they are yet to take. If you contact your bank and tell them you have lost that card then they'll cancel it and you'll get a new card number. When the hotel try to charge the card it'll fail as it's no longer an active card.
Booking / Ryanair... on 16:23 - Apr 30 with 3078 viewsDanTheMan

Two of my friends are currently going through the refund dance with RyanAir.

I'm going through it with LastMinute who have been absolutely awful. Supposed to have refund in 7 days, currently now over a month. I would have been one of the first to have had their holiday cancelled so whilst I imagine they are incredibly busy, it's starting to take the piss a bit.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Booking / Ryanair... on 19:46 - Apr 30 with 2968 viewsTIB

Booking / Ryanair... on 16:05 - Apr 30 by Fenoit

Re: the payment on your debit card which they are yet to take. If you contact your bank and tell them you have lost that card then they'll cancel it and you'll get a new card number. When the hotel try to charge the card it'll fail as it's no longer an active card.

I think this may well be the best option. No sudden chunks of money taken. Money stays in my hands if they refuse to cancel for free etc. Then I can just wait for Ryanair and how that pans out.

Booking / Ryanair... on 23:36 - Apr 30 with 2903 viewsBent_double

I would be keeping on at B.com, they must be able to contact the hotel on your behalf and at the very least get them to contact you to come to an agreement.

As an accommodation provider, B.com made it very clear to us a few weeks ago that we needed to contact all our bookings for the coming weeks and either cancel or reschedule them for a later date. If any payment had been taken, again we should come to an agreement with the guest regarding a refund.

I still have active bookings for late May (that I expect to be cancelled), and many for July and August, which I will deal with nearer the time, depending on what happens to our lockdown.

Obviously as your booking is not in the UK it complicates things a bit, but if they (the hotel) are reasonable, they should be able to see that it's not right to hold you to the booking and make you pay for it.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Booking / Ryanair... on 16:42 - May 1 with 2770 viewsTIB

Booking / Ryanair... on 23:36 - Apr 30 by Bent_double

I would be keeping on at B.com, they must be able to contact the hotel on your behalf and at the very least get them to contact you to come to an agreement.

As an accommodation provider, B.com made it very clear to us a few weeks ago that we needed to contact all our bookings for the coming weeks and either cancel or reschedule them for a later date. If any payment had been taken, again we should come to an agreement with the guest regarding a refund.

I still have active bookings for late May (that I expect to be cancelled), and many for July and August, which I will deal with nearer the time, depending on what happens to our lockdown.

Obviously as your booking is not in the UK it complicates things a bit, but if they (the hotel) are reasonable, they should be able to see that it's not right to hold you to the booking and make you pay for it.

I’m trying to find out if Booking or the hotel can take my payment prior to my arrival or without my permission. As it stands, I’ve just booked it and will pay balance on arrival, but I don’t want to “lose” my bank card if they can’t take payment without my authorisation. The whole group has said they’d sooner just reschedule, especially now as the wedding as being put off until next year so we have more time to plan something.

Booking / Ryanair... on 12:34 - May 4 with 2707 viewsKieran_Knows

In better news with Easyjet, me and the missus were meant to be going Turkey at the end of this month. We had booked it in January and paid £120 deposit, with the rest of the money to be paid at the end of March.

So all this kicked off, and we didn't know what to do. After much deliberation we didn't pay the remaining fee and was prepared to lose the deposit we had already paid. A couple of weeks later I received an email from Easyjet to say that they would be returning all monies. Happy days I thought. Then one evening last week when checking emails, I had another email from Easyjet to say that anyone who had paid a deposit and decided not to go on holiday would instead receive that deposit back in a voucher to use another time. We wasn't too fussed as we do like to do City breaks and normally fly with Easyjet or Ryanair for those ..... however, went on my bank this weekend to see that the £120 had been paid back in to my account.

Good work Easyjet.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Booking / Ryanair... on 13:58 - May 4 with 2674 viewsGeoffSentence

Booking / Ryanair... on 12:34 - May 4 by Kieran_Knows

In better news with Easyjet, me and the missus were meant to be going Turkey at the end of this month. We had booked it in January and paid £120 deposit, with the rest of the money to be paid at the end of March.

So all this kicked off, and we didn't know what to do. After much deliberation we didn't pay the remaining fee and was prepared to lose the deposit we had already paid. A couple of weeks later I received an email from Easyjet to say that they would be returning all monies. Happy days I thought. Then one evening last week when checking emails, I had another email from Easyjet to say that anyone who had paid a deposit and decided not to go on holiday would instead receive that deposit back in a voucher to use another time. We wasn't too fussed as we do like to do City breaks and normally fly with Easyjet or Ryanair for those ..... however, went on my bank this weekend to see that the £120 had been paid back in to my account.

Good work Easyjet.

They put Ryanair to shame.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Booking / Ryanair... on 14:08 - May 4 with 2665 viewsRadlett_blue

Booking / Ryanair... on 13:58 - May 4 by GeoffSentence

They put Ryanair to shame.

No-one "likes" Ryanair, they use use them because they're cheap. However, most of their customers get to where they want to go at a cheap price, so the company has been successful.

Booking / Ryanair... on 14:21 - May 4 with 2657 viewsSpruceMoose

Booking / Ryanair... on 14:08 - May 4 by Radlett_blue

No-one "likes" Ryanair, they use use them because they're cheap. However, most of their customers get to where they want to go at a cheap price, so the company has been successful.

It's always been the same with RyanAir. It's great, right up until the point where it's not, and then it gets really shÃŽtty really quickly.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Booking / Ryanair... on 14:34 - May 4 with 2642 viewsGeoffSentence

Booking / Ryanair... on 14:08 - May 4 by Radlett_blue

They are cheap if all you want is a seat, if you want anything else, like somewhere to put a bag then they become not cheap very quickly.

I don't actually mind Ryanair's model of paying for extras, but over the last few years they have ramped it up to such an extent that booking with them has become a complicated nightmare.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024