Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old Gatesy could play a bit 11:58 - Apr 30 with 1466 viewsjontysnut

36 years ago

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 13:52 - Apr 30 with 1341 viewsThe_Last_Baron

A brilliant performance. Part of our great escape run of 83-84.

84-85 escape was every bit as good.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 16:25 - Apr 30 with 1268 viewsgainsboroughblue

That was some escape for sure. We lost something like seven in a row, in the bottom two, possibly even bottom and still had trips to Anfield and Old Trafford to come in our last ten games.

Of those ten games, I think we lost once.

Memorable last minute goal off Alan Sunderland's crotch cost United the title but I think it was the home win v Sunderland which secured safety. That was a nerve wracking 85 mins as we scored very early.

We won the last game of the season against Villa and managed to finish 12th

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 16:41 - Apr 30 with 1253 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 16:25 - Apr 30 by gainsboroughblue

That was some escape for sure. We lost something like seven in a row, in the bottom two, possibly even bottom and still had trips to Anfield and Old Trafford to come in our last ten games.

Memorable last minute goal off Alan Sunderland's crotch cost United the title but I think it was the home win v Sunderland which secured safety. That was a nerve wracking 85 mins as we scored very early.

The Alan Sunderland game at Old Trafford is the last time Manchester United have been ahead in a home league game at half-time and lost.

I think D'Avray got the equaliser.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 16:55]

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 16:45 - Apr 30 with 1239 viewsgainsboroughblue

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 16:41 - Apr 30 by The_Last_Baron

The Alan Sunderland game at Old Trafford is the last time Manchester United have been ahead in a home league game at half-time and lost.

I think D'Avray got the equaliser.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 16:55]

I forgot about that statistic. That's just crazy.

And yeah, I think you are right re D'Avray.

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 16:55 - Apr 30 with 1220 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 16:45 - Apr 30 by gainsboroughblue

I forgot about that statistic. That's just crazy.

And yeah, I think you are right re D'Avray.

Just checked, Mark Hughes gave United the lead (25), D'Avray heading in from Sunderland's cross (47) and Sunderland (86) bundling in D'Avray's cross.

Team was Cooper, Yallop, McCall, Zondervan (Parkin), Osman, Cranson, Putney, Brennan, D'Avray, Sunderland, Gates.

United line up: Bailey, Duxbury, Albiston, Wilkins, Moran, McGrath, Robson, Stapleton, Hughes, Graham.

The run-in included 2-2 draws with Forest (h) and Liverpool (a), wins over Luton, Wolves (a), Sunderland, Manchester United (a) and Villa. Only defeat was 1-0 at QPR. Mich D'Avray scored 5 goals in this run. 17 points from 8 games, with three against top four sides. We stayed up by 5 points.

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 18:31 - Apr 30 with 1159 viewsGlasgowBlue

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 16:25 - Apr 30 by gainsboroughblue

Absolutely ridiculous that a team that included Cooper, Burley, McCall, Osman, Butcher, Wark*, Mariner* and Gates were ever in danger of being relegated.

*Wark and Mainer leaving around February 84.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 18:45 - Apr 30 with 1142 viewsgainsboroughblue

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 18:31 - Apr 30 by GlasgowBlue

Absolutely ridiculous that a team that included Cooper, Burley, McCall, Osman, Butcher, Wark*, Mariner* and Gates were ever in danger of being relegated.

*Wark and Mainer leaving around February 84.

It really was. We are obviously all aware of the decline post SBR but the player departures were fairly gradual in reality and should really have finished higher than 9th in 82-83 for example.

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 18:54 - Apr 30 with 1134 viewsGlasgowBlue

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 18:45 - Apr 30 by gainsboroughblue

It really was. We are obviously all aware of the decline post SBR but the player departures were fairly gradual in reality and should really have finished higher than 9th in 82-83 for example.

Yes I've always had the memory that the Pioneer stand construction was paid for by wholesale changes to the squad but it was gradual and there were enough quality players left in the squad two years after SBR left to finish higher than we did.

I'm sorting out my Programme collection and just came across the first game of the 84/85 season which we finished 17th.

The starting line up is

Cooper, Burley, McCall, Osman, Butcher, Zondervan, Putney, Brennan, D'Avray, Sunderland, Gates.

The complete treble chasing season back 4 and keeper plus a decent first division strikeforce.

Bobby Fergusson should have got a better tune out of the players at his disposal.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 19:46 - Apr 30 with 1111 viewsgainsboroughblue

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 18:54 - Apr 30 by GlasgowBlue

Yes I've always had the memory that the Pioneer stand construction was paid for by wholesale changes to the squad but it was gradual and there were enough quality players left in the squad two years after SBR left to finish higher than we did.

I'm sorting out my Programme collection and just came across the first game of the 84/85 season which we finished 17th.

The starting line up is

Cooper, Burley, McCall, Osman, Butcher, Zondervan, Putney, Brennan, D'Avray, Sunderland, Gates.

The complete treble chasing season back 4 and keeper plus a decent first division strikeforce.

Bobby Fergusson should have got a better tune out of the players at his disposal.

Right. I used to have all those programmes.

Is that the one with Butcher and Osman on the front modelling the new 'French style' Radio Orwell kits?

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 19:57 - Apr 30 with 1098 viewsSwansea_Blue

The starting line up is

I've wondered from time to time whether it was inevitable once SBR left, irrespective of the stand. SBR spent a while getting that team together and there was a momentum behind it. Players are always going to move on, and new players are always going to have to be incorporated into the team. Once SBR went we lost the steer behind all of that. Even he may have had trouble reinventing that team (it was something Fergie kept getting right at Man U, but very few managers can keep doing it).

You see the same happen at clubs all over the world. It happened to us with Ramsey and Burley; a few years building momentum, you peak and then you can't manage the changes to the squad. It's happened over here with Chris Coleman's Wales squad that peaked in the Euros, and it happened at Swansea, although I'm sure there are better other non-Welsh examples! It even happened with the my Cubs team I was captain for after we won the Suffolk Cup and then most of us old-timers (12 year olds!) left. They never recovered

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 20:05 - Apr 30 with 1090 viewsGlasgowBlue

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 19:46 - Apr 30 by gainsboroughblue

Right. I used to have all those programmes.

Is that the one with Butcher and Osman on the front modelling the new 'French style' Radio Orwell kits?

Yeah that's the one

Iron Lion Zion

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 20:08 - Apr 30 with 1081 viewsgainsboroughblue

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 20:05 - Apr 30 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah that's the one

Ah. Dammit. I forgot Pioneer still sponsored us for the first year of that strip.

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 20:11 - Apr 30 with 1075 viewsDarth_Koont

Best thing about that video (apart from Gates's sublime finishes) is right at the end.

After 1 minute of injury time, Ray Kennedy is on the edge of the box and just about to get a shot off in search of a winner. Instead the whistle goes for full time and everybody in the ground just moves on.

Such a contrast with today where we've had to allow 4 or 5 minutes to stop time wasting. And a referee would never blow up in that position because they'd get far too much abuse.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 20:12]

Pronouns: He/Him

Old Gatesy could play a bit on 21:35 - Apr 30 with 1027 viewsDouble_Dutch

The starting line up is

I was led to believe, that the decision to build the new stand was not the main problem, but more so the way it was financed. A large part of the financing was a private unsecured loan by John Cobbold, which following his death was recalled by his estate. I of course, could have been misinformed, anyone else aware of this situation?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024