Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees 10:20 - May 2 with 7741 viewsGlasgowBlue

John Stirk. Played in our 3-0 win against Barcelona in 1977.

Can’t remember a thing about him.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:24 - May 2 with 3803 viewsRadlett_blue

I remember him playing the odd game in the late 1970s. One of the many youth players that we found from the North East in those days. Sold him to Watford for £30k & he was a regular in their 3rd division promotion winning team.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:25 - May 2 with 3804 viewsgtsb1966

A lot of people won't remember John Jackson. He played one game in goal for us against Man Utd and played an absolute blinder as we won 2-1. I was privileged to be there that night.
[Post edited 2 May 2020 10:25]
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:41 - May 2 with 3749 viewsRadlett_blue

Tommy Parkin. He spent 14 years at Town & in that time he only played 70 first team games. Never really looked good enough, but for some reason we kept giving him a new contract. Another one unearthed from the North East - who was our scout up there?

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:44 - May 2 with 3741 viewsPJH

John Stirk was a RB and basically understudy to George Burley.

George Burley missed all of November 1977(plus some of October and December) and Mick Mills was playing mostly midfield at the time so John Stirk played at RB,they were his only 8 appearances.
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:45 - May 2 with 3724 viewsKeno

not even listed on Wiki

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:51 - May 2 with 3720 viewsPJH

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:45 - May 2 by Keno

not even listed on Wiki

He is when I google him.

You are not doing Spike Milligna the well known typing error are you Keon?
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:51 - May 2 with 3721 viewsGlasgowBlue

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:44 - May 2 by PJH

John Stirk was a RB and basically understudy to George Burley.

George Burley missed all of November 1977(plus some of October and December) and Mick Mills was playing mostly midfield at the time so John Stirk played at RB,they were his only 8 appearances.

I’ve been sorting through old programmes and came across his name in the starting line up against Barca.

Dale Roberts was on the bench for that game.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:52 - May 2 with 3714 viewshoppy

Vlado Bozinoski

Raphael Meade

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:55 - May 2 with 3696 viewsPJH

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:51 - May 2 by GlasgowBlue

I’ve been sorting through old programmes and came across his name in the starting line up against Barca.

Dale Roberts was on the bench for that game.

Colin Viljoen came on as the only sub, can't remember but looks like you could only use one sub in European competition although by 1979/80 you could use two.

edit-that is bollox,used two subs in second leg.
[Post edited 2 May 2020 10:56]
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:56 - May 2 with 3687 viewsRadlett_blue

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:52 - May 2 by hoppy

Vlado Bozinoski

Raphael Meade

Meade was a loanee who played only once for us.

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:59 - May 2 with 3677 viewsPJH

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:52 - May 2 by hoppy

Vlado Bozinoski

Raphael Meade

Bozinoski arrived along with Guenchev on recommendation of SBR who was at Sporting Lisbon at the time.
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 11:02 - May 2 with 3665 viewsDennyx4

Andy Bernal - was about just after we got relegated from Division one.

Only played a handful of games - centre half? cover for Cranson / Atkins
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 11:03 - May 2 with 3664 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sean Friars

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 11:18 - May 2 with 3603 viewsallezlesbleus

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:25 - May 2 by gtsb1966

A lot of people won't remember John Jackson. He played one game in goal for us against Man Utd and played an absolute blinder as we won 2-1. I was privileged to be there that night.
[Post edited 2 May 2020 10:25]

Isn't he our oldest ever player? Yep, he did have a great game.
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 11:20 - May 2 with 3597 viewsRadlett_blue

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 11:02 - May 2 by Dennyx4

Andy Bernal - was about just after we got relegated from Division one.

Only played a handful of games - centre half? cover for Cranson / Atkins

As an Australian citizen albeit one who also had a Spanish passport, I think he initially had work permit issues. A popular player at Reading, aggressive & picked up 7 red cards in 3 seasons.

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 13:16 - May 2 with 3493 viewsgainsboroughblue

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:41 - May 2 by Radlett_blue

Tommy Parkin. He spent 14 years at Town & in that time he only played 70 first team games. Never really looked good enough, but for some reason we kept giving him a new contract. Another one unearthed from the North East - who was our scout up there?

John Carruthers.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 13:31 - May 2 with 3466 viewsLord_Lucan

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:41 - May 2 by Radlett_blue

Tommy Parkin was on the bench in the UEFA Cup 2nd leg.

I bumped into him in the Fat Cat a few years back, he is / was a painter and decorator.

My nomination is Ipswich legend and good friend Andy Crane who went to Shrewsbury and broke David Moyes leg in training.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 13:51 - May 2 with 3422 viewswoodbridge_blue

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 13:31 - May 2 by Lord_Lucan

Tommy Parkin was on the bench in the UEFA Cup 2nd leg.

I bumped into him in the Fat Cat a few years back, he is / was a painter and decorator.

My nomination is Ipswich legend and good friend Andy Crane who went to Shrewsbury and broke David Moyes leg in training.

Is that the Andy Crane who played in Sudbury Town's successful side of the late 80's/early 90's?

If so, he ended up at Woodbridge Town, a good mate of Marty Thorpe and several other decent ex-Sudbury players.

Good bloke as I recall.
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 14:21 - May 2 with 3384 viewsLord_Lucan

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 13:51 - May 2 by woodbridge_blue

Is that the Andy Crane who played in Sudbury Town's successful side of the late 80's/early 90's?

If so, he ended up at Woodbridge Town, a good mate of Marty Thorpe and several other decent ex-Sudbury players.

Good bloke as I recall.

That's him.

Great bloke, although he filled my Golden Virginia packet with noodles once when I was p1ssed and I was smoking dried Kwan Thai noodles for a couple of days before I realised.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 14:39 - May 2 with 3353 viewsTrumptonBlue

For many years, I was under the impression that John Linford was one of those players who made it to the fringe of the first team without ever actually getting a game, but then I discovered that he played in both legs of the UEFA Cup tie with Roma in 82/83.
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 14:42 - May 2 with 3346 viewsChurchman

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:24 - May 2 by Radlett_blue

I remember him playing the odd game in the late 1970s. One of the many youth players that we found from the North East in those days. Sold him to Watford for £30k & he was a regular in their 3rd division promotion winning team.

I think Stirk was Captain of Ipswich’s youth team that won the Youth Cup for the first time. I had, and I think still have, a hardback book produced around 73 or 74 given to me as a present and in it is a a picture of that team with a very young George Burley.

My forgotten player: the late Ian Redford. He was not a bad player, looking back. Played 68 times for us and scored 8 goals. He sadly committed suicide at the relatively young age of 53
[Post edited 2 May 2020 14:52]
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 14:42 - May 2 with 3348 viewsPendejo

John Linford
Keith Bertschin

Both strikers, both lost out to Mariner. One went on to play for six fingered sister bothered and scored the off vital goal against us....

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 15:02 - May 2 with 3290 viewsPJH

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 14:42 - May 2 by Churchman

I think Stirk was Captain of Ipswich’s youth team that won the Youth Cup for the first time. I had, and I think still have, a hardback book produced around 73 or 74 given to me as a present and in it is a a picture of that team with a very young George Burley.

My forgotten player: the late Ian Redford. He was not a bad player, looking back. Played 68 times for us and scored 8 goals. He sadly committed suicide at the relatively young age of 53
[Post edited 2 May 2020 14:52]

The book is (probably) "Ipswich-An Illustrated History Of Ipswich Town" edited by Ken Rice in 1974 and cost £1.75-if so I also have a copy.

It was 1974 but Gary Russo was captain.

Those from that team that made the first team were Burley, Gates, Turner, Peddelty, Tibbott, Stirk and Parkin so not a bad return.
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 15:04 - May 2 with 3285 viewsPJH

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 14:39 - May 2 by TrumptonBlue

For many years, I was under the impression that John Linford was one of those players who made it to the fringe of the first team without ever actually getting a game, but then I discovered that he played in both legs of the UEFA Cup tie with Roma in 82/83.

Bobby Robson's last signing for ITFC I think but his only appearance was as a sub in the second leg.
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 15:09 - May 2 with 3267 viewsChurchman

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 15:02 - May 2 by PJH

The book is (probably) "Ipswich-An Illustrated History Of Ipswich Town" edited by Ken Rice in 1974 and cost £1.75-if so I also have a copy.

It was 1974 but Gary Russo was captain.

Those from that team that made the first team were Burley, Gates, Turner, Peddelty, Tibbott, Stirk and Parkin so not a bad return.

Ahhh, thanks for that. I stand corrected. Yes, that’s the one! There is a forward by John Cobbold and a dust jacket in colour with plenty of black and white images of the club in its amateur and professional days to 72/3 season. I’ll have to dig it out as I’ve not looked at it in years. I remember it as a great book.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024