Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Relegation and promotion 08:59 - May 4 with 1915 viewshampstead_blue

Nothing I've seen yet comes close to making sense if they play more fixtures.
All I can see is the lawyers prepping argument as to why their client should not have been relegated or had promotion withheld.

I'd finish it now and let it be. Third place is promoted to save the playoffs.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Relegation and promotion on 09:12 - May 4 with 1660 viewstractorboy1978

Whether they void it or go on PPG I can't see how anyone can have complaints given the position we find ourselves in. Any clubs looking to take legal action ought to give their heads a wobble.
Relegation and promotion on 09:22 - May 4 with 1644 viewsHerbivore

You can't void the season now and act like it was finished. It's the worst of all solutions imo.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Relegation and promotion on 10:08 - May 4 with 1591 viewsPinewoodblue

Relegation from EPL is the stumbling block. If season isn’t finished any team deemed to be relegated will sue.

The first thing that needs to be agreed is when does next season start and what format. If next season starts early enough can foresee pr9motion from championship for top three but no relegation from EPL, to avoid litigation.

No league cup, FA cup rounds midweek with no replays, and EPL containing 23 teams, so 44 games, with SIX relegated next season. All with parachute payments totally destroying the Chsmpionship.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Relegation and promotion on 10:37 - May 4 with 1550 viewsHerbivore

Relegation and promotion on 10:08 - May 4 by Pinewoodblue

Relegation from EPL is the stumbling block. If season isn’t finished any team deemed to be relegated will sue.

The first thing that needs to be agreed is when does next season start and what format. If next season starts early enough can foresee pr9motion from championship for top three but no relegation from EPL, to avoid litigation.

No league cup, FA cup rounds midweek with no replays, and EPL containing 23 teams, so 44 games, with SIX relegated next season. All with parachute payments totally destroying the Chsmpionship.

I suspect they'd only admit the top 2 in that scenario and gave a 22 team league with four going down and two coming up in the 20/21 season.

Relegation and promotion on 10:57 - May 4 with 1535 viewsMoriarty

Lawyering up is inevitable.

IMHO, I’d adjourn this season until March 2021 and finish it then.

This way we lose a season. But finish the existing one. Which might be preferable to not finishing this one and a potential second wave obliterating next season.

fka omuircheartaigh

Relegation and promotion on 11:00 - May 4 with 1525 viewsHerbivore

Relegation and promotion on 10:57 - May 4 by Moriarty

This way we lose a season. But finish the existing one. Which might be preferable to not finishing this one and a potential second wave obliterating next season.

I don't think that's remotely feasible.

Relegation and promotion on 11:06 - May 4 with 1512 viewsNotSure

Agreed, Covid-19 is here for at least another year and will almost certainly be more virulent during the winter. It is definitely preferable but won't happen because UEFA has set a deadline to end the season.

But making plans for next season is a bit pointless really.
Relegation and promotion on 11:08 - May 4 with 1510 viewsipswichtillidie

This is by far the most sensible and fair solution. Long way off but given the likelihood of people’s lives still being very different come March 2021 then this way we have least have the possibility of completion and fairness for all. Unfortunately the money men won’t see it this was and controversy will prevail.

Gav

Login to get fewer ads

Relegation and promotion on 11:11 - May 4 with 1508 viewsRadlett_blue

Naturally, the clubs with most to lose are the ones shouting the loudest & reaching for the lawyers. Those are (1) any club facing relegation from the PL - hence the absurd idea that they are happy to complete the season on neutral grounds, behind closed doors as long as there is no threat of relegation. With Liverpool virtually assured of the title, this makes 90% of the remaining fixtures irrelevant, save for deciding Champions' League qualification, but is a way of the PL fulfilling its obligations to Sky. (2) Those likely to be promoted to the PL, especially WBA & Leeds. Hence, the idea of promoting teams, but no relegation.
The bigger threat is the probability that games cannot be played with fans for maybe a year, especially to the Football League clubs.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Relegation and promotion on 11:23 - May 4 with 1494 viewsHerbivore

Relegation and promotion on 11:08 - May 4 by ipswichtillidie

This is by far the most sensible and fair solution. Long way off but given the likelihood of people’s lives still being very different come March 2021 then this way we have least have the possibility of completion and fairness for all. Unfortunately the money men won’t see it this was and controversy will prevail.

It's not really down to the "money men" is it? How can clubs realistically survive for a whole year with income at basically zero? And why cancel football for a year in any case when things are changing rapidly? Are we expecting other businesses to commit to not operating for a year at this point?

Relegation and promotion on 11:32 - May 4 with 1472 viewsIpswichKnight

Relegation and promotion on 11:23 - May 4 by Herbivore

It's not really down to the "money men" is it? How can clubs realistically survive for a whole year with income at basically zero? And why cancel football for a year in any case when things are changing rapidly? Are we expecting other businesses to commit to not operating for a year at this point?

I can see fans going back to grounds from January 2021 if a vacine is on the way and all indicators are that one will be availble at a push at the end of the year and if trials work smoothly and in association with the app as well. We would lose a lot of clubs if they commit to no fans for 20/21 season, Likes of Southend, Rochdale, Bradford etc... would not survive that long with no game day income and lets be honest the likes of West Ham, Man City/Utd and Leeds are not going to forgo income so that those clubs can survive.
Relegation and promotion on 11:33 - May 4 with 1471 viewsipswichtillidie

No fair point. From a financial perspective clubs may not survive without income. But realistically who is going to go and stand in a football stadium? The only option in the medium term in closed stadiums and all testing for staff and players alike so games can be screened on tv. The point I was making realistic or not was the only fair way to resume is tocontinue and complete the season as and when that may be, with March perhaps not being as unrealistic as you may want to think.
[Post edited 4 May 2020 11:35]

Gav

Relegation and promotion on 11:33 - May 4 with 1469 viewsRadlett_blue

The idea that the 2020-21 Premier League season could all be played behind closed doors is being driven completely by fulfilling their contracts with broadcasters. Without the TV money, the clubs can't afford to pay their players.

Relegation and promotion on 11:33 - May 4 with 1468 viewshampstead_blue

I agree you can't ask a business to just stop for an indeterminate period, hence the reason behind the OP.

I can't see crowds coming back but can see that a great way of RAISING revenue would be to simply live stream every game on a PPV basis.

I've said it a few times before. If those of us who live away from PR or in Ipswich and for whatever reason can't attend, can watch on a PPV basis could....we would.

I'd say PPV is the only realistic way of football teams surviving and will, in the longer term, bring in more money to the clubs.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Relegation and promotion on 11:42 - May 4 with 1444 viewsHerbivore

Relegation and promotion on 11:33 - May 4 by ipswichtillidie

No fair point. From a financial perspective clubs may not survive without income. But realistically who is going to go and stand in a football stadium? The only option in the medium term in closed stadiums and all testing for staff and players alike so games can be screened on tv. The point I was making realistic or not was the only fair way to resume is tocontinue and complete the season as and when that may be, with March perhaps not being as unrealistic as you may want to think.
[Post edited 4 May 2020 11:35]

There will likely be ways devised to safely play games behind closed doors within the next 3 months and that will be the new normal probably until next year. The idea of writing football off entirely for 12 months is a bit beyond the pale. It seems unnecessary and would totally kill the game. I'm not sure even the wealthy clubs could survive a year with no football whatsoever.

Relegation and promotion on 12:33 - May 4 with 1375 viewsMoriarty

Relegation and promotion on 11:08 - May 4 by ipswichtillidie

Thanks.

Losing one season is better than losing two.

Football could continue under some guise such as regional tournaments or cup competitions until then. Obviously no crowds, but tv coverage and promotion.

Hard to see crowds return until a vaccine is found. The Lord Mayor of Bergamo called Atlanta v Valencia “the bomb”. One hopes common sense will prevail.

Adding to the mix is brexit and what will happen to work permits/foreign players. I presume any Brexit football matters can’t happen until May/June 21.

fka omuircheartaigh

Relegation and promotion on 13:01 - May 4 with 1330 viewsHerbivore

Relegation and promotion on 12:33 - May 4 by Moriarty

Thanks.

Losing one season is better than losing two.

Football could continue under some guise such as regional tournaments or cup competitions until then. Obviously no crowds, but tv coverage and promotion.

Hard to see crowds return until a vaccine is found. The Lord Mayor of Bergamo called Atlanta v Valencia “the bomb”. One hopes common sense will prevail.

Adding to the mix is brexit and what will happen to work permits/foreign players. I presume any Brexit football matters can’t happen until May/June 21.

I'm not sure you can just rustle up a different football format like regional tournaments to tide us over until next year. If football can be played before next year then why not finish this season then?

Relegation and promotion on 13:19 - May 4 with 1298 viewsMoriarty

Relegation and promotion on 13:01 - May 4 by Herbivore

I'm not sure you can just rustle up a different football format like regional tournaments to tide us over until next year. If football can be played before next year then why not finish this season then?

Exactly because it’s a downgrade.

If you finish the season it’s impossible to do so without large crowds assembling. Liverpool will win the Premier League. Even if they do so behind closed door, large crowds and celebrations are inevitable, whether outside the ground or elsewhere. Apply that then to each league and playoffs.

Football can get creative in terms of offering something but being realistic, I don’t see a vaccine until 2021, so play the odds and play safe. If regional tournaments (or whatever tie over it is) are lost to a second wave, we’ll all get by.

fka omuircheartaigh

Relegation and promotion on 13:27 - May 4 with 1276 viewsgordon

This is the best option - mothball clubs for a year, players, managers and staff have to sign on for Universal Credit till then. They would appreciate what they've got a bit more by the time the football was back, I reckon.
Relegation and promotion on 13:28 - May 4 with 1274 viewsgordon

Relegation and promotion on 11:11 - May 4 by Radlett_blue

Naturally, the clubs with most to lose are the ones shouting the loudest & reaching for the lawyers. Those are (1) any club facing relegation from the PL - hence the absurd idea that they are happy to complete the season on neutral grounds, behind closed doors as long as there is no threat of relegation. With Liverpool virtually assured of the title, this makes 90% of the remaining fixtures irrelevant, save for deciding Champions' League qualification, but is a way of the PL fulfilling its obligations to Sky. (2) Those likely to be promoted to the PL, especially WBA & Leeds. Hence, the idea of promoting teams, but no relegation.
The bigger threat is the probability that games cannot be played with fans for maybe a year, especially to the Football League clubs.

Sky would surely sue if relegation was cancelled and almost all matches were meaningless.
Relegation and promotion on 13:50 - May 4 with 1246 viewsHerbivore

Relegation and promotion on 13:19 - May 4 by Moriarty

Exactly because it’s a downgrade.

If you finish the season it’s impossible to do so without large crowds assembling. Liverpool will win the Premier League. Even if they do so behind closed door, large crowds and celebrations are inevitable, whether outside the ground or elsewhere. Apply that then to each league and playoffs.

Football can get creative in terms of offering something but being realistic, I don’t see a vaccine until 2021, so play the odds and play safe. If regional tournaments (or whatever tie over it is) are lost to a second wave, we’ll all get by.

And how will clubs survive with no income for a year? Even if it's feasible to put on regional tournaments nobody is going to pay for what are essentially friendly matches. I don't think putting all competitive football on hold for a year is viable or even proportionate as a response at this point.

Relegation and promotion on 14:04 - May 4 with 1224 viewsRadlett_blue

Relegation and promotion on 13:28 - May 4 by gordon

Sky would surely sue if relegation was cancelled and almost all matches were meaningless.

Exactly. That's why the ides, promoted by Brighton, of completing the PL season behind closed doors, but with no relegation, appears preposterous, but it could suit many clubs. Sky have already paid out most of this year's money; the leverage they have is what they do with next season's. No-one is going to get what they want out of the current situation, but hardly anyone appears willing to compromise. Hence voiding the season has some support, as they are no big losers, apart from WBA, Leeds & 1 other.

Relegation and promotion on 15:08 - May 4 with 1175 viewsMoriarty

Relegation and promotion on 13:50 - May 4 by Herbivore

And how will clubs survive with no income for a year? Even if it's feasible to put on regional tournaments nobody is going to pay for what are essentially friendly matches. I don't think putting all competitive football on hold for a year is viable or even proportionate as a response at this point.

They adapt like many other businesses are doing. Accepting financial loss is part and parcel of this.

When weighing factors in considering proportionality, I would give a very large weight to public health. It far outweighs anything else.

fka omuircheartaigh

Relegation and promotion on 15:12 - May 4 with 1172 viewsRadlett_blue

Relegation and promotion on 15:08 - May 4 by Moriarty

They adapt like many other businesses are doing. Accepting financial loss is part and parcel of this.

When weighing factors in considering proportionality, I would give a very large weight to public health. It far outweighs anything else.

If, as seems likely, football won't be played with crowds for the foreseeable future, Football League clubs will need to slash their wage bills to almost zero or else face catastrophic losses. Clearly, live streaming on a PPV basis is possible, but that won't go anywhere near paying the bills.

Relegation and promotion on 15:22 - May 4 with 1160 viewsMoriarty

Relegation and promotion on 15:12 - May 4 by Radlett_blue

If, as seems likely, football won't be played with crowds for the foreseeable future, Football League clubs will need to slash their wage bills to almost zero or else face catastrophic losses. Clearly, live streaming on a PPV basis is possible, but that won't go anywhere near paying the bills.

Playing behind closed doors sounds great. But what happens when Liverpool are crowned Champions? Consider what goes on celebration wise outside the ground and throughout the City? Apply that across the divisions. Playing behind closed doors will not eliminate public health risks.

fka omuircheartaigh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024