Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Recommendations please - record players/speakers 09:04 - May 4 with 2132 viewsuefacup81

Ms Uefa and I recently went our separate ways, and I ended up leaving our trusty Bush SRP31 with her:

So I'm on the hunt for a new record set-up to play my collection on. I used to have one of the now-ubiquitous 'suitcase' sets with built-in speakers, but now I'm after something a little higher quality.

I'm assuming, with quality in mind, that anything with built-in speakers is going to be a no-go. But what comes recommended for quality, without an eye-watering price tag? Do any of the audiophiles amongst you have any recommendations or pointers?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 09:12 - May 4 with 2105 viewsLord_Lucan

I have a Marantz amp and Pioneer turntable with Realistic speakers that I might sell.

High quality stuff but needs a bit of care and attention and the speakers need new woofers.

Let me know if you are interested, value approx £2k

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 09:18 - May 4 with 2090 viewsuefacup81

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 09:12 - May 4 by Lord_Lucan

I have a Marantz amp and Pioneer turntable with Realistic speakers that I might sell.

High quality stuff but needs a bit of care and attention and the speakers need new woofers.

Let me know if you are interested, value approx £2k

Cheers Lucan - probably a bit out of my price range (and knowledge-base too) I'm afraid!

I guess £300-£400 is the top end of my budget. I've been drawn towards an Audio-Technica turntable paired with a set of Edifier speakers, having heard very good things about both for the cost involved.

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 09:23 - May 4 with 2082 viewssparks

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 09:18 - May 4 by uefacup81

Cheers Lucan - probably a bit out of my price range (and knowledge-base too) I'm afraid!

I guess £300-£400 is the top end of my budget. I've been drawn towards an Audio-Technica turntable paired with a set of Edifier speakers, having heard very good things about both for the cost involved.

You;d presumably need an Amp as well... Unless you already have one.

Unless your Amp is decent, a proper hi fi turntable wont make that much odds.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 09:25 - May 4 with 2076 viewsuefacup81

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 09:23 - May 4 by sparks

You;d presumably need an Amp as well... Unless you already have one.

Unless your Amp is decent, a proper hi fi turntable wont make that much odds.

The AT one I've been looking at comes with a phono stage built in, so is essentially a plug-and-play unit.

Or, from what you're saying, would it be a better option to get a cheaper turntable without a phono stage, and use the saving to buy a decent second-hand amp?

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 09:29 - May 4 with 2072 viewsLord_Lucan

No problem.

I haven't used it all for years, to be honest I didn't realise the value until my wife recently told me to get shot - but I just can't!

While I have you. Was it you asking for parking space in Norwich? If so PM me and I can help you.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 09:38 - May 4 with 2040 viewsnoggin

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 09:25 - May 4 by uefacup81

The AT one I've been looking at comes with a phono stage built in, so is essentially a plug-and-play unit.

Or, from what you're saying, would it be a better option to get a cheaper turntable without a phono stage, and use the saving to buy a decent second-hand amp?

Active speakers don't require an amp. I would buy decent speakers over an expensive turntable.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 10:47 - May 4 with 1976 viewsbluefunk

I would consult Richer Sounds website, there's a load of information on there and they did a great job for me a few years ago

they'll have something to fit your budget,
Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 11:04 - May 4 with 1964 viewsfactual_blue

A Marantz MCR 611 , plus speakers, perhaps QA. The Marantz is a combined amp, CD player and streaming device. Streams Spotify, Airplay etc. Also internet radio, DAB and FM.

Try Richer Sounds for a good deal that'll include speakers.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 11:15 - May 4 with 1954 viewsDubtractor

Project make really decent turntables at a affordable prices.

https://www.project-audio.com/en/

Best bet is to look for a second hand amp with decent speaker at the price you're looking at. As long as you stick to amp brands like Technics, NAD, Denon etc you should be OK. If you can get some KEF speakers then snap them up!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 11:16 - May 4 with 1951 viewsDubtractor

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 09:25 - May 4 by uefacup81

That second point, definitely.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Sorry but this thread is just reminding me of this on 12:39 - May 4 with 1917 viewsgainsboroughblue

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 12:44 - May 4 with 1900 viewsStokieBlue

I am not very knowledgeable in this area but my only advice would be don't skimp and spend the fullest of the budget you can afford.

I bought my amp (Yamaha) and speakers (B&W) in 2002 and they are still excellent.

I am assuming that nowadays you can get a good set of speakers from Richer Sounds for a decent price.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 13:02 - May 4 with 1878 viewsBLUEBEAT

A £400 budget isn’t too good for the full system you want, unfortunately.

Would normally recommend the secondhand market with such a limit but current social circumstances make this awkward.

I would look to spend the full budget on decent speakers/amp/pre-amp (perhaps emailing someone like Richer Sounds advising of your budget/requirements) and then pick up a turntable via Facebook Marketplace, or some such.

Poll: W or W

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 14:16 - May 4 with 1841 viewslongtimefan

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 12:44 - May 4 by StokieBlue

I am not very knowledgeable in this area but my only advice would be don't skimp and spend the fullest of the budget you can afford.

I bought my amp (Yamaha) and speakers (B&W) in 2002 and they are still excellent.

I am assuming that nowadays you can get a good set of speakers from Richer Sounds for a decent price.

SB

My A&R Cambridge A60 and Mordaunt-Short speakers, along with an early Philips 104 CD player, are still going strong having been purchased in 1983!
Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 14:27 - May 4 with 1831 viewsKBsSocks

How about forgetting about vinyl and amps and speakers and turntables and going digital instead ?

Most music is available on the interwebs and the quality will be as good as your old Bush sound, no ?

My suggestion - spend the money on a decent headset for your computer, and maybe powered computer speakers for when you want to fill the room with sound (or get wireless headset and walk around with the sound).

Of course, some or all of your vinyl might be difficult to find online in decent-enough quality - but I'll hazard that it isn't, and new stuff is available at the click of a button :-)

Poll: Are Phil and Gav doing a great job re-TWTD ?
Blog: Comparison Time Again

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 14:31 - May 4 with 1824 viewsronnyd

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 14:16 - May 4 by longtimefan

My A&R Cambridge A60 and Mordaunt-Short speakers, along with an early Philips 104 CD player, are still going strong having been purchased in 1983!

Sorry to hijack but my Kenwood KA300 amp is very crackly on the volume control. I've taken the casing off but the innards behind the knob are still inaccessible behind the chassis so couldn't get cleaner spray to the seat of the problem. Lack of using it doesn't help i suppose. Any ideas chaps/chapesses?
Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 14:52 - May 4 with 1810 viewsKBsSocks

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 14:31 - May 4 by ronnyd

Sorry to hijack but my Kenwood KA300 amp is very crackly on the volume control. I've taken the casing off but the innards behind the knob are still inaccessible behind the chassis so couldn't get cleaner spray to the seat of the problem. Lack of using it doesn't help i suppose. Any ideas chaps/chapesses?

It's dirty - rack it backwards and forwards lots of times to see if that helps. But you've prolly already tried that if you've had the back off.

Poll: Are Phil and Gav doing a great job re-TWTD ?
Blog: Comparison Time Again

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 14:53 - May 4 with 1804 viewslongtimefan

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 14:31 - May 4 by ronnyd

Not really sure there's much that can be done other than a replacement pot. Failing that one trick I have used is to rotate the volume knob backwards and forwards a few times before turning on. This seems to limit the problem for a while.
Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 15:36 - May 4 with 1782 viewsflimflam

I swear by my Mk3 1210s and a pair of Cerwin Vega P1000x speakers.

[Post edited 4 May 2020 15:39]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 15:41 - May 4 with 1771 viewsflimflam

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 14:27 - May 4 by KBsSocks

How about forgetting about vinyl and amps and speakers and turntables and going digital instead ?

Most music is available on the interwebs and the quality will be as good as your old Bush sound, no ?

My suggestion - spend the money on a decent headset for your computer, and maybe powered computer speakers for when you want to fill the room with sound (or get wireless headset and walk around with the sound).

Of course, some or all of your vinyl might be difficult to find online in decent-enough quality - but I'll hazard that it isn't, and new stuff is available at the click of a button :-)

"How about forgetting about vinyl and amps and speakers and turntables and going digital instead ?"

I will pretend you didnt say that :-)

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 15:48 - May 4 with 1761 viewsDubtractor

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 15:36 - May 4 by flimflam

I swear by my Mk3 1210s and a pair of Cerwin Vega P1000x speakers.

[Post edited 4 May 2020 15:39]

I've got a pair of these with my 1210s. Compact but pack a hell of a wallop!

https://www.krksys.com/Studio-Monitors/ROKIT-5-G4

They are great for dance music/mixing, but if looking for listing to rock or indie then would go for a warmer sounding speaker.

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 11:14 - May 5 with 1670 viewsCaptainAhab

Bit late to this particular party but thought you'd like to know I have a very similar set up to what you suggested, an Audio Technica turntable with Edifier R1800BT speakers and it does a fine job. All in I think I paid around 200 a couple of year ago.
I'm sure a proper audiophile would sneer but I'm a big music fan and it sounds good enough for me, certainly much better than those turntables in a suitcase!
Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 14:34 - May 5 with 1618 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 10:47 - May 4 by bluefunk

I would consult Richer Sounds website, there's a load of information on there and they did a great job for me a few years ago

they'll have something to fit your budget,

Consult Analogue Seduction who are based in Peterborough. The guy there will give you great advice.

If you could save a hit and push your budget to 1000 quid you'll get a nice new set up. Or go second hand.

Rega Brio R amp is brilliant, get a Rega turntable and maybe pair it with Epos speakers.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 14:46 - May 5 with 1610 viewsTIB

My old man is currently packing up to move back to the States and gave me his stereo system to sell UEFA. I don't know the exact details, it's a Marantz amp though, a separate CD unit and the B&W speakers on stands. He was big into audio a while back so think it's fairly decent gear. If you're interested drop me a PM and I can get send you details.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Recommendations please - record players/speakers on 18:50 - May 5 with 1589 viewsEpiphone

On the basis of garbage in garbage out the source I.e. turntable is the most important part of the equation,contrary to other advice above concentrate a larger proportion of your budget in that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024