Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In hindsight.... 18:13 - May 4 with 1315 viewsOwainG1992

2 years ago today George Burley applied to be our new manager after big Mick.
We end up with Hurst and then Lambert of course.
At the time my heart said yes but head said we need younger AKA Hurst.
Would others have a different point of view now?

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

In hindsight.... on 18:23 - May 4 with 1279 viewsBlueBadger

Would we have still appointed the two worst managers we've ever had in favour of GB with the benefit of hindsight?

I dunno, let's think about that....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

In hindsight.... on 18:24 - May 4 with 1265 viewsLibero

I wanted Mowbray or Burley to be our manager, I still want Mowbray or Burley to be our manager.
In hindsight.... on 18:52 - May 4 with 1215 viewsHipsterectomy

It's different for players, and most second comings of players for us haven't been great in recent times, maybe Pablo's second spell and one of Jonny Williams 100 spells with us.

Don't know why you would do that as a manager though, especilly when you have built a legacy with a club.

Are there many managers who did as good, or better, the second time around? Eddie Howe?

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

In hindsight.... on 18:57 - May 4 with 1196 viewsPecker

Surprised you need to ask.
In hindsight.... on 19:37 - May 4 with 1126 viewslondontractorboy57

In hindsight.... on 18:24 - May 4 by Libero

I wanted Mowbray or Burley to be our manager, I still want Mowbray or Burley to be our manager.

THE state our club is in at the moment i think Mickma wouldn't be a bad choice numbskulls.
In hindsight.... on 19:57 - May 4 with 1080 viewsChrisd

I would’ve had GB back, but with a younger coach working alongside him. He knows the club, encourages a good style of play and isn’t afraid to play our younger players if they are good enough. Nevertheless, when PH was appointed I wasn't too disappointed either.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

In hindsight.... on 20:03 - May 4 with 1069 viewsChutney

He applied with Holland after Keane left too, and didn't get it. I wanted Burley then. I wanted him after Mick, and I want him after Lambert.

No doubt I'll continue to be disappointed because our owner is clueless.
In hindsight.... on 20:05 - May 4 with 1062 viewsChutney

In hindsight.... on 19:57 - May 4 by Chrisd

I would’ve had GB back, but with a younger coach working alongside him. He knows the club, encourages a good style of play and isn’t afraid to play our younger players if they are good enough. Nevertheless, when PH was appointed I wasn't too disappointed either.

Burley isn't just a call based on sentimental reasons, he's also the exact manager we need at the moment when we're not going to be splashing cash, but we do have an exciting group of young players. There's nobody both more qualified and also interested than Burley at developing a style and bringing through young players, while knowing what it means to be part of our club. Not to mention the appointment that would get fans back to PR. He's been out of the game a while but for me he ticks a hell of a lot of boxes.
Login to get fewer ads

In hindsight.... on 20:11 - May 4 with 1038 viewsDarth_Koont

If we really use hindsight then we'd still have Mick and not have gone for any new manager. Out of 6 managers under Evans he's the only one who's punched above the budget. As well as increasing the value of the squad while keeping its cost down.

Whether we think we deserve better, no-one else has come close to getting as much right on and off the pitch at the same time.

Hurst blew a relatively good position to build from and Lambert blew the chance to regroup. I'd expect GB could do better than them but the odds are still against him being an improvement on Mick.

Pronouns: He/Him

In hindsight.... on 20:11 - May 4 with 1038 viewsWeWereZombies

In hindsight.... on 19:57 - May 4 by Chrisd

Or a younger manager with Burley as his assistant. I think the years may have taken their toll on George and it is too much to expect the full on commitment that the post requires from him - especially when it comes to the eye to eye hardball that dealing with the owner seems to need. That is one thing that Lambert may have got right, well when it comes to his own contract anyway. The sight of Burley in the dugout and making suggestions that are, sometimes, acted on would be pleasing to most fans.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

In hindsight.... on 09:36 - May 5 with 782 viewsr2d2

It wont matter who is the manager whilst the fool that is Evans is running the club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024