Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jury duty 15:50 - May 5 with 978 viewsDubtractor

Anyone here got any inside info on the court system?

I've annoyingly been called up for jury duty from 1st June, but I'm assuming there is a good chance that jury trials wont have restarted by then.

.Gov website basically just says to watch this space.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Jury duty on 15:59 - May 5 with 935 viewsKieran_Knows

No news for you etc, but I did it a couple of years ago and bloody loved it. Would quite happily be called again!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Jury duty on 16:02 - May 5 with 926 viewsDubtractor

Jury duty on 15:59 - May 5 by Kieran_Knows

No news for you etc, but I did it a couple of years ago and bloody loved it. Would quite happily be called again!

It's not so much that I don't want to do it, more that I'm too busy with work at the mo and could do without it right now!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Jury duty on 16:10 - May 5 with 909 viewsallezlesbleus

Jury duty on 16:02 - May 5 by Dubtractor

It's not so much that I don't want to do it, more that I'm too busy with work at the mo and could do without it right now!

I think you are allowed to "turn down" one call up. However, if you have already cancelled one jury service sitting, then I think it is much harder to be let off again.

I've done it twice in the past. Both were scheduled to be for up to 2 weeks. One lasted 1 morning and I think the other was 3 days, so it may not go on for too long, even if you have to do it.
Jury duty on 16:36 - May 5 with 868 viewsSteve_M

Given there's already an enormous backlog of cases in the court system, the legacy of austerity but also of Chris Grayling, then the legal system will desperately need to re-start trials as soon as possible.

If you aren't already then follow The Secret Barrister on Twitter and read the book. Legal Twitter is incredibly informative to the lay=-person but very depressing.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Jury duty on 16:39 - May 5 with 857 viewsMullet

Jury duty on 16:36 - May 5 by Steve_M

Given there's already an enormous backlog of cases in the court system, the legacy of austerity but also of Chris Grayling, then the legal system will desperately need to re-start trials as soon as possible.

If you aren't already then follow The Secret Barrister on Twitter and read the book. Legal Twitter is incredibly informative to the lay=-person but very depressing.

It's a brilliant account and you're spot on.

I wonder if more hearings and trials will be done via video link so if there is a need for a jury how they get around that I'm not sure. I read one article where only the judge and the clerk were in physical attendance. The defendants were already in jail so they just video linked it and kept them there once sentenced as far as I could make out.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Jury duty on 16:41 - May 5 with 852 viewsfactual_blue

Jury duty on 16:02 - May 5 by Dubtractor

Take the work with you.

One of my favourite jokes is about a jury.

This young girl is giving evidence.

'And could you tell the court what the accused said next', asked the barrister.

'He said....he said....he,' the witness said, haltingly. 'I'm sorry, I can't bring myself to say the words'.

'You may write his words down and they will be passed to the jury and then myself to read', said the judge.

The relieved-looking witness happily took up the offer.

The paper was passed along the jury members.

In the second row of the jury, a young blonde girl noticed the chap next to her had dozed off. She gently nudged him. He woke and she handed him the paper. He looked at it, a smile spread across his face, he winked and put the piece of paper in his pocket.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Jury duty on 18:45 - May 5 with 789 viewsEpiphone

If/when the case goes ahead all I can recommend is take some work or a good book with you because my experience of Jury Service was long hours of waiting around whilst lawyers played silly games.
Jury duty on 07:19 - May 6 with 651 viewsdissboy2

will probs be by video link
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024