Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travel advice 18:42 - May 5 with 1104 viewsFixed_It

Looking to cancel our holiday to the States in July. Bought flights through a travel website using credit card. Didn't hold out much hope, but have just noticed that the e-ticket they sent us is for a different flight to the one we actually booked - same day but later. As this means we wouldn't then be able to make a connecting, onward flight, and the error is clearly theirs (we have screenshots to prove it - their confirmation email shows original flight details), then presumably this increases our chances of a refund surely? The original flight is not showing up when we search for it so presumably has been cancelled or is full. Anyone know about these things?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Travel advice on 23:34 - May 5 with 997 viewsWacko

I'm pretty sure there are specific coronavirus rules which allow you to cancel free of charge any time - I've certainly seen it on the websites of different airlines, but don't know whether it's their own policy or a general one (although can't see why they'd volunteer it)

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Travel advice on 23:54 - May 5 with 988 viewsSpruceMoose

Come on over! The water is lovely...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Travel advice on 00:03 - May 6 with 984 viewsjeera

If you've been missold anything then you're generally entitled to a refund under your statutory rights.

How that will carry over to this and pan out is anyone's guess.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Travel advice on 07:01 - May 6 with 916 viewsChurchman

Travel advice on 23:54 - May 5 by SpruceMoose

Come on over! The water is lovely...

The water is lovely, the President is orange...

Actually, I love the US and was lucky enough to get in my annual trip to Colorado in Feb before C-19 really hit the fan.

Companies have actually been pretty good over refunds, re-bookings etc. I actually managed to get a refund from East Midland railway for a £30 fixed one day return ticket when normally it would have been ‘use it or lose it’. A travel company has also given er indoors 125% of the value of the booking if she rebooks within 2 years or a full refund. Can’t say fairer than that.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 7:56]
Travel advice on 07:40 - May 6 with 876 viewsFoD_Blue

I had a holiday in Florida booked for this week (should have flown out yesterday). we booked it through Expedia. To my surprise, Expedia have been very good.
We had made a string of bookings for flights, hire car and hotel on one booking and then five further individual hotel bookings. Our plan was to spend the first week in Orlando (including a festival to watch Metallica, Disturbed, Lynyrd Skynrd, Alter Bridge.....) and then to spend week two taking a slow drive down to Key West, stopping off in Miami and a few places on the way down.

The flights were cancelled by the airline (Virgin) a couple of weeks ago and they have issued a voucher to use against another flight (So I really hope that Virgin survive). The hire car cost was instantly refunded by Expedia with no penalties, as was the original one week hotel booking).

For the other hotel bookings, they were book with no cancellation to make them cheaper and we didn't expect to have to cancel at all.

Expedia introduced a scheme where all hotels would refund bookings if cancelled during this pandemic, regardless of if they were on 'no cancellation'. They automatically signed all hotels to this scheme but with an option to opt out, rather than to opt in.
Two of the 5 hotels opted out. For the other three we were given the option of 100% cash back or Expedia vouchers to the value of 115% of the booking fee. Vouchers that have no expiry date.
For the two that opted out, one of them has been in touch and given us a voucher to use at any of their hotels for a future booking, the other one we have not heard anything back from. I assume that they are either closed or avoiding us. We have holiday insurance with pandemic cover, so hopefully we can claim any missing money through that.

We also had/have tickets for Kennedy space center and Busch Gardens. Kennedy have automatically issued a full refund and Busch Gardens have extended the validity of our tickets until early 2022. AS we have every intention of rebooking once we are able to, this seems fair to us. If for some reason that changes, we will approach them for a refund.

In all, despite all the horror stories, I have been fairly impressed how this event has been handled by the travel/hotel industry.
Travel advice on 08:02 - May 6 with 851 viewsElderGrizzly

The key is to wait for the airline to cancel. Don’t under any circumstances cancel yourself
Travel advice on 08:23 - May 6 with 823 viewsFoD_Blue

Travel advice on 08:02 - May 6 by ElderGrizzly

The key is to wait for the airline to cancel. Don’t under any circumstances cancel yourself

I would say the same would be said for any hotel bookings that don't have a cancellation option. We have one hotel that we have not heard from yet. If we hear nothing from them by the day before we are due to stay there, we will call them to make sure that they will have the room ready, even though we will be stuck in a different country. If we have the room and don't turn up, it costs us exactly the same as if we cancel but don't get a refund.
Travel advice on 09:40 - May 6 with 805 viewsRadlett_blue

Travel advice on 08:23 - May 6 by FoD_Blue

I would say the same would be said for any hotel bookings that don't have a cancellation option. We have one hotel that we have not heard from yet. If we hear nothing from them by the day before we are due to stay there, we will call them to make sure that they will have the room ready, even though we will be stuck in a different country. If we have the room and don't turn up, it costs us exactly the same as if we cancel but don't get a refund.

Some hotels are acting very reasonably & if you contact them direct, they may play ball. The responses from the booking sites have been more variable, with one I used insisting on keeping my deposit (not unreasonable) & also making a cancellation charge (less so, but I couldn't be bothered to argue as long as I was off the hook for the whole sum).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Travel advice on 09:43 - May 6 with 799 viewsWeWereZombies

Forget about all the refund voucher and travel insurance guff and have a word with your credit card issuer. Phone them up and speak to them nicely (they may be under a lot of pressure at this time too) and they should instigate the chargeback procedure. Worked for me, the money never even left my account.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 9:56]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Travel advice on 10:04 - May 6 with 776 viewsPinewoodblue

Flights are being consolidated all the time looks like this may have happened to you.

Probably best to wait for Virgin to cancel. They have tested us well on rebooking. Should have gone to Miami end of March. Just rebooked for next year A painful process by text but a good outcome.

Decided as we had already budgeted for full cost of flights for next year to upgrade. Outward flight upgraded from Economy to Upper £50.99 each including extra tax. Bargain... mind you started text messages on Friday . They messaged 10.30 pm last night followed by delayed text exchanges, I am convinced each one came from a different person, and ended up making payment at 3.30 am this morning.

On Hotels both Ramada and Hilton were making full refunds on non-refundable bookings.

I had management responsibility for a Travel Agency back in 70’s prefer to book direct with airlines much easier.

Just realised the extra we are paying is less than the additional APD.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 10:58]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Travel advice on 10:56 - May 6 with 748 viewsRadlett_blue

Travel advice on 10:04 - May 6 by Pinewoodblue

Flights are being consolidated all the time looks like this may have happened to you.

Probably best to wait for Virgin to cancel. They have tested us well on rebooking. Should have gone to Miami end of March. Just rebooked for next year A painful process by text but a good outcome.

Decided as we had already budgeted for full cost of flights for next year to upgrade. Outward flight upgraded from Economy to Upper £50.99 each including extra tax. Bargain... mind you started text messages on Friday . They messaged 10.30 pm last night followed by delayed text exchanges, I am convinced each one came from a different person, and ended up making payment at 3.30 am this morning.

On Hotels both Ramada and Hilton were making full refunds on non-refundable bookings.

I had management responsibility for a Travel Agency back in 70’s prefer to book direct with airlines much easier.

Just realised the extra we are paying is less than the additional APD.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 10:58]

It's a good outcome as long as Virgin Atlantic are around & able to fly you next year. I think there's a very strong chance they they won't be.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Travel advice on 11:07 - May 6 with 725 viewsgiant_stow

Travel advice on 10:56 - May 6 by Radlett_blue

It's a good outcome as long as Virgin Atlantic are around & able to fly you next year. I think there's a very strong chance they they won't be.

A friend of my Mum's used to be senior at Which, but that hasn't stopped her getting dicked by Virgin on 5 grands worth of arifare. They're basically refusing to refund her - being her, she's thrown all sorts of legal stuff at them and they're replying in kind.

I'd chase Vrigin for every penny if I was meant to be flying with them - think they might be in big trouble.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Travel advice on 11:30 - May 6 with 711 viewsPinewoodblue

Travel advice on 11:07 - May 6 by giant_stow

A friend of my Mum's used to be senior at Which, but that hasn't stopped her getting dicked by Virgin on 5 grands worth of arifare. They're basically refusing to refund her - being her, she's thrown all sorts of legal stuff at them and they're replying in kind.

I'd chase Vrigin for every penny if I was meant to be flying with them - think they might be in big trouble.

If you let them do the cancelling they will refund, know several people due to fly late March had full refunds direct to their account.

Go with the flow.....best approach.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024