Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? 14:53 - May 6 with 2914 viewsKeno

best commentator of the lot?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:05 - May 6 with 2552 viewsFtnfwest

remember him being teamed up with jim Laker on the Sunday John Player League commentaries
Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:10 - May 6 with 2546 viewsSteve_M

Before my time, unfortunately.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:11 - May 6 with 2548 viewsEwan_Oozami

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:05 - May 6 by Ftnfwest

remember him being teamed up with jim Laker on the Sunday John Player League commentaries

For a limited overs competition, that was the original slow TV...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:17 - May 6 with 2533 viewsPJH

John Arlott was a great cricket commentator, I loved his accent.

His voice was made for cricket.

I have got several books on cricket tours written by him too covering numerous tours between 1946 and 1972.
Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:18 - May 6 with 2528 viewsKeno

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:05 - May 6 by Ftnfwest

Lordy, hadn't twigged you as being that old!!

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:22 - May 6 with 2516 viewsFtnfwest

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:18 - May 6 by Keno

Lordy, hadn't twigged you as being that old!!

must have watched that most weeks in the 70's. Geat sunday afternoon tv
Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:22 - May 6 with 2515 viewsKeno

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:17 - May 6 by PJH

John Arlott was a great cricket commentator, I loved his accent.

His voice was made for cricket.

I have got several books on cricket tours written by him too covering numerous tours between 1946 and 1972.

he was unique wasn't he.

His last test commentary was something special

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:23 - May 6 with 2517 viewshomer_123

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:31 - May 6 with 2494 viewsFtnfwest

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:22 - May 6 by Keno

he was unique wasn't he.

His last test commentary was something special

i think i'd make him second of all time to Richie, which in my book is praise indeed
Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:44 - May 6 with 2476 viewsKeno

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:31 - May 6 by Ftnfwest

i think i'd make him second of all time to Richie, which in my book is praise indeed

Richie was very good

I also like the newer Aussie Alan McGilvray

and Isa Guhu is a very good newcomer

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 16:00 - May 6 with 2460 viewsFtnfwest

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:44 - May 6 by Keno

Richie was very good

McGilvray was an ex international wasn't he? Yes he's ok,not heard the other one yet
Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 16:18 - May 6 with 2434 viewsKeno

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 16:00 - May 6 by Ftnfwest

McGilvray was an ex international wasn't he? Yes he's ok,not heard the other one yet

Im not sure if he played for Australia but was certainly a good cricketer

Isa was a fast bowler who has moved into commentary and does very well, especially when she winds Tuffers up!!

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 16:31 - May 6 with 2422 viewsfactual_blue

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:44 - May 6 by Keno

Richie was very good

I used to enjoy Richie commentating on Ray Illingworth when the latter was England captain. They clearly thought about cricket in the same way, as RB invariably called RL's tactics correctly.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 17:49 - May 6 with 2392 viewsFenland_Blue

He was superb, my favourite was as Clive Lloyd smashed his way to a hundred in the 1975 World Cup final he said "The stroke of a man knocking a thistle top off with a walking stick, no problem"

His one visit to South Africa turned him into a passionate anti-apartheid campaigner, when asked to add his race to a form when entering the country, he put human.

You can listen to a CD of his best work on YouTube.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 19:02 - May 6 with 2365 viewsstonojnr

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:23 - May 6 by homer_123

classic example of radio commentating and exactly why he was so good, not just could he conjure a turn of phrase out of nothing, you could shut your eyes and still know exactly what was happening on the pitch

try that with the modern "bantz central" crew and see how far you get
Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 21:39 - May 6 with 2324 viewsxrayspecs

I have huge admiration for radio sports commentators, especially those that make you feel as though you are sitting alongside them watching the game unfold. Without the advantage of being able to see what is happening, the best radio commentators paint a picture that the listener can view from wherever they are listening.

There are lots of cricket examples - I would add Henry Bloefeld and Brian Johnston to the list instata. They also made you smile, an important quality that we are starting to realise again is important. From football, I would add Jonathan Pearce when he was on Capital Radio, his commentaries and the detailed picture he painted were wonderful and energetic. I think he was better on radio than on TV more recently.

There are lots of experts - mainly former players - but this is totally different to the artisans who can share with you their story of being there in person.
Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 22:20 - May 6 with 2304 viewsTangledupin_Blue

There have been many excellent commentators on TMS, each with their own style.

There was no-one better than Richie Benaud. John Arlott was certainly among the best along with CMJ and Tony Cozier.

Edit... In my mind I can remember Benaud commentating on radio but I don't know that it ever happened.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 22:28]

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 23:59 - May 6 with 2285 viewsRyorry

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 22:20 - May 6 by Tangledupin_Blue

There have been many excellent commentators on TMS, each with their own style.

There was no-one better than Richie Benaud. John Arlott was certainly among the best along with CMJ and Tony Cozier.

Edit... In my mind I can remember Benaud commentating on radio but I don't know that it ever happened.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 22:28]

There was a great county cricketer on for a couple of years until last year when I didn't hear him - I'm struggling to remember the name, maybe played for Lancashire (?) 🤔 Was very laid back, had a v. pleasant, unobtrusive voice, painted a good picture, and was good on exposition as well.

Is on tip of my tongue ...*

I'm ju-u-st old enough to remember Arnott's comms, but sadly I wasn't yet really into cricket at that time.

*Edit - it was Vic Marks (Somerset).
[Post edited 7 May 2020 2:17]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 00:06 - May 7 with 2283 viewsRyorry

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 21:39 - May 6 by xrayspecs

I have huge admiration for radio sports commentators, especially those that make you feel as though you are sitting alongside them watching the game unfold. Without the advantage of being able to see what is happening, the best radio commentators paint a picture that the listener can view from wherever they are listening.

There are lots of cricket examples - I would add Henry Bloefeld and Brian Johnston to the list instata. They also made you smile, an important quality that we are starting to realise again is important. From football, I would add Jonathan Pearce when he was on Capital Radio, his commentaries and the detailed picture he painted were wonderful and energetic. I think he was better on radio than on TV more recently.

There are lots of experts - mainly former players - but this is totally different to the artisans who can share with you their story of being there in person.

I do enjoy Tuffers' comms tho, he is such good fun!

My award for comms tho has to go to all tennis radio commentators - my brain can barely digest what my eyes are telling me in some of those long but quick-exchange rallies, esp at the net - yet they manage to see, digest, find the words to describe + get it all out in coherent fashion onto luve radio! I'm often left with my jaw dropped open at their skill.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 02:00 - May 7 with 2261 viewsIPS_wich

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 15:23 - May 6 by homer_123

That's really odd. His last commentary was in 1980, but I swear I grew up listening to him (I started to properly follow test cricket on the BBC in about 84/85 as a 9/10 year old.

Maybe it was from the old replays the BBC would show when rain stopped play.

There were some cracking cricket commentators in that 80s era: Benaud, Lewis, Johnson, CMJ.

Now I'm in Australia, they have a really mixed bag of up and coming commentators - most of them ex-players. Adam Gilchrist is the pick of the bunch.
Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 03:30 - May 7 with 2246 viewsjontysnut

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 17:49 - May 6 by Fenland_Blue

He was superb, my favourite was as Clive Lloyd smashed his way to a hundred in the 1975 World Cup final he said "The stroke of a man knocking a thistle top off with a walking stick, no problem"

His one visit to South Africa turned him into a passionate anti-apartheid campaigner, when asked to add his race to a form when entering the country, he put human.

You can listen to a CD of his best work on YouTube.

I think he stood for the Liberals as well. He enjoyed poetry and wine and as a kid cycled miles to watch Reading FC. He retired to Alderney where Ian Botham also lived. He had a great wine cellar and would often invite Botham over, telling him to 'bring your thirst'.

As CLR James said 'what do they know of cricket who only cricket know?'
Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 08:09 - May 7 with 2191 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 19:02 - May 6 by stonojnr

classic example of radio commentating and exactly why he was so good, not just could he conjure a turn of phrase out of nothing, you could shut your eyes and still know exactly what was happening on the pitch

try that with the modern "bantz central" crew and see how far you get

Any excuse will do....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 08:43 - May 7 with 2158 viewsElephantintheRoom

He certainly had the voice for it. But I think the programme owes much more to Brian Johnston, who I once had the pleasure of sitting next to on the train up to Brum for an edgbaston test.

I think he was the conductor of the orchestra that peaked long before TMS became the sole preserve of ex-players.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 09:15 - May 7 with 2146 viewshampstead_blue

Absolutely.
I was brought up on it. Always on the radio. My father and his were utterly obsessed.

We did the age old thing of turning the telly down and listening to the radio.
Still love it.

Who was the best? Oh dear, I'd be rude to put just one at the top.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 09:50 - May 7 with 2127 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Talking of TMS who on here remembers John Arlott? on 23:59 - May 6 by Ryorry

There was a great county cricketer on for a couple of years until last year when I didn't hear him - I'm struggling to remember the name, maybe played for Lancashire (?) 🤔 Was very laid back, had a v. pleasant, unobtrusive voice, painted a good picture, and was good on exposition as well.

Is on tip of my tongue ...*

I'm ju-u-st old enough to remember Arnott's comms, but sadly I wasn't yet really into cricket at that time.

*Edit - it was Vic Marks (Somerset).
[Post edited 7 May 2020 2:17]

Vic Marks doesn't do commentary but is among the best of the summarisers along with Glen McGrath.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024