Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday 07:36 - May 7 with 4372 viewsbluelagos

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 07:50 - May 7 with 1916 viewsbluelagos

Other outdoor solo leisure activities?

Fishing? Horse riding? Motorcycling? Golf?

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 07:58 - May 7 with 1892 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 07:50 - May 7 by bluelagos

Other outdoor solo leisure activities?

Fishing? Horse riding? Motorcycling? Golf?

Hopefully not golf

Nothing against the sport and clearly it should logically be fine, I’ve just enjoyed being able to take the dogs over to Rushmere common for a long walk around the space without having to worry about flying golf balls!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:06 - May 7 with 1886 viewsbluelagos

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 07:58 - May 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Hopefully not golf

Nothing against the sport and clearly it should logically be fine, I’ve just enjoyed being able to take the dogs over to Rushmere common for a long walk around the space without having to worry about flying golf balls!

I'm not a golfer but struggling to see why it should be banned. The clubhouse is a different matter of course.

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:09 - May 7 with 1878 viewssparks

I am struggling with the logic of this, given our figures continue to be worse than pretty much everyone else's.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:10 - May 7 with 1860 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:06 - May 7 by bluelagos

I'm not a golfer but struggling to see why it should be banned. The clubhouse is a different matter of course.

Open up some of the fishing complexes too, limit the amount of anglers so as to comply with social distancing.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:13 - May 7 with 1861 viewsbluelagos

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:09 - May 7 by sparks

I am struggling with the logic of this, given our figures continue to be worse than pretty much everyone else's.

The logic is that transmission is much more likely inside than outside. That sitting down and sunbathing or picnicing, whilst socially distancing from others, is close to nil risk.

Whilst the benefits to our mental health and wellbeing from being outside are tangible and real.

Assumes of course that people socially distance correctly.

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:15 - May 7 with 1843 viewsbluelagos

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:10 - May 7 by StochesStotasBlewe

Open up some of the fishing complexes too, limit the amount of anglers so as to comply with social distancing.

For the life of me I cant see why fishing stopped. It is a solo activity. Claiming it as a sport is a bit of a p*sstake though :-)

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:19 - May 7 with 1830 viewssparks

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:13 - May 7 by bluelagos

The logic is that transmission is much more likely inside than outside. That sitting down and sunbathing or picnicing, whilst socially distancing from others, is close to nil risk.

Whilst the benefits to our mental health and wellbeing from being outside are tangible and real.

That doesnt help. Because people are already ignoring and bending the rules and will do so more. To run a golf club you need facilities- toilets open, food and drink will follow, shops for supplies. People meeting up and driving around.

I would understand it if our figures were where other countries easing restrictions are. But we are STILL hovering at around 5000 new infections a day, and had 600+ deaths yesterday. The infections figure is not shifting- its creeping up if anything. Germany have just started relxaing things. Their new cases are on a clear downward curve and around 500 a day.

Spain- one of the worst hit... firm downward trend. New infections well below 3000 a day and still heading downards.

Our infection figures have been pretty much static for a whole month....

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Login to get fewer ads

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:24 - May 7 with 1800 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:15 - May 7 by bluelagos

For the life of me I cant see why fishing stopped. It is a solo activity. Claiming it as a sport is a bit of a p*sstake though :-)

Indeed.
It’s not a sport, granted, but a very therapeutic pastime and my go to when I need some relaxation. I get that one would have to drive to a venue, and that a minority of people would take the piss, but that applies to most activities.
A few sensible guidelines in place and it could be easily monitored by the fisheries.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:28 - May 7 with 1786 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:13 - May 7 by bluelagos

On a recent cycle with Junior Slave I wore a back pack containing a padlock and spare clothing. I look forward now to officially being able to include a few snacks!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:29 - May 7 with 1792 viewsbluelagos

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:19 - May 7 by sparks

That doesnt help. Because people are already ignoring and bending the rules and will do so more. To run a golf club you need facilities- toilets open, food and drink will follow, shops for supplies. People meeting up and driving around.

I would understand it if our figures were where other countries easing restrictions are. But we are STILL hovering at around 5000 new infections a day, and had 600+ deaths yesterday. The infections figure is not shifting- its creeping up if anything. Germany have just started relxaing things. Their new cases are on a clear downward curve and around 500 a day.

Spain- one of the worst hit... firm downward trend. New infections well below 3000 a day and still heading downards.

Our infection figures have been pretty much static for a whole month....

If our new infections were flat, then our deaths would be flat. They are not, they are falling. So given that the period from infection to death is x weeks, it is reasonable to assume our falling death rate means we did indeed reduce new transmissions x weeks ago.

The headline figures you quote are from tests. We of course are now testing close to 80k a day, a month ago we tested far fewer. So yeah, the positive headline tests may be up/flat but that is because we are doing more tests.

So your equating increased positive tests (whilst logical at one level) is not a fair indicator of increased transmissions.

It is counter intuitive but I think your concerns on the level of transmissions are not taking the increased testing into account.

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:35 - May 7 with 1762 viewssparks

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:29 - May 7 by bluelagos

If our new infections were flat, then our deaths would be flat. They are not, they are falling. So given that the period from infection to death is x weeks, it is reasonable to assume our falling death rate means we did indeed reduce new transmissions x weeks ago.

The headline figures you quote are from tests. We of course are now testing close to 80k a day, a month ago we tested far fewer. So yeah, the positive headline tests may be up/flat but that is because we are doing more tests.

So your equating increased positive tests (whilst logical at one level) is not a fair indicator of increased transmissions.

It is counter intuitive but I think your concerns on the level of transmissions are not taking the increased testing into account.

Look at the figures. Cmopare them to the others. It is not a happy or encouraging picture.

I agree there may be some impact from increased testing- but other countries have increased testing too. Spain and italy have conducted more tests than us. Germany vastly more. The deaths are not dropping off nearly as clearly as we had thought either are they? The moving average remains very significantly higher than other countries who are relaxing restrictions.

Our "lockdown" has been significantly less strict than France, Italy or Spain- and we appear to be reaping the results of that.

Dont get me wrong- i want to get out and buy smoe building materials for my pizza oven! I just see this as a political decision rather than one lead by the figures.

It is also utterly stupid to trail "potential lifting on Monday" right before a sunny bank holiday weekend. The Government are not being honest when they say the delay from Thursday is to get more information. It is so as to avoid doing it prior to such a weekend, witht he obvious impact that would have. However, with relaxation expected, people will take it upon themselves to just get on with it over the bank holiday anyway.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 8:38]

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:38 - May 7 with 1745 viewsElephantintheRoom

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:29 - May 7 by bluelagos

Erm we are in fact testing close to 50,000 a day - and there is still no system in place to inform GPs etc of infected people in the community, nor any hope of any effective isolation of contacts.

The reason deaths are fakking is that the hospitals are vvirtually empty and old people are dropping like flies withot being tested and are therefore not covvid-19 deaths, even though they are.

Add on the uncomfortable truth that infection rates if anything are going up in the north west, due to the pretend lockdown fatally combined with a Liverpool Atletic Madrid match and you have no logical, nor even scientific reason to ease the joke lockdown... it should be strengthened in the areas where the infection is not under control.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:40 - May 7 with 1727 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:35 - May 7 by sparks

Look at the figures. Cmopare them to the others. It is not a happy or encouraging picture.

I agree there may be some impact from increased testing- but other countries have increased testing too. Spain and italy have conducted more tests than us. Germany vastly more. The deaths are not dropping off nearly as clearly as we had thought either are they? The moving average remains very significantly higher than other countries who are relaxing restrictions.

Our "lockdown" has been significantly less strict than France, Italy or Spain- and we appear to be reaping the results of that.

Dont get me wrong- i want to get out and buy smoe building materials for my pizza oven! I just see this as a political decision rather than one lead by the figures.

It is also utterly stupid to trail "potential lifting on Monday" right before a sunny bank holiday weekend. The Government are not being honest when they say the delay from Thursday is to get more information. It is so as to avoid doing it prior to such a weekend, witht he obvious impact that would have. However, with relaxation expected, people will take it upon themselves to just get on with it over the bank holiday anyway.

The 650 or so figure now includes care homes....the mystery is why they were not included earlier. I think hospital deaths are now in the region of 350 or so per day.

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:41 - May 7 with 1730 viewsgordon

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:35 - May 7 by sparks

This is more about Boris getting a chance to deliver more news of our great success than anything else. Obviously will cause an increase in infections / deaths, but he's probably immune now so not a problem.
Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:43 - May 7 with 1724 viewssparks

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:41 - May 7 by gordon

This is more about Boris getting a chance to deliver more news of our great success than anything else. Obviously will cause an increase in infections / deaths, but he's probably immune now so not a problem.

I am inclined to agree.

The testing target is a disingenuous joke as well. The 100k was clearly a politically motivated push to get it for 30 April per the target, rather than a real consistent capacity and progress.

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:47 - May 7 with 1711 viewsGuthrum

Or that we are getting better at treating the most severe Covid-19 patients, as hospitals get more experience and knowlege. Better at spotting the signs of an impending crisis earlier. Finding ways to reduce the chances of having one. Possibly, with increased bed capacity and testing, getting cases into hospital before they become critical.

Look at the example of ventilation. Initially, patients in crisis were almost automatically put on one. Now research suggests the hypoxia problem is more related to the blood's ability to absorb oxygen and transfer it around the body, rather than a basic inability to breathe. Thus, while ventilators may sometimes be helpful, they're not in all cases and, indeed, if used unnecessarily may be harmful in the longer term. Changing processes improving treatment.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:52 - May 7 with 1698 viewsbluelagos

Couple of points, not to dismiss what you have raised.

The graph showing the deaths are dropping but clearly not as fast as it rose. Anyone expecting a bell curve for deaths is not going to see it. It is clearly from the graphs presented (and I cant rememeber the name for the distribution from my college days) going to be drawn out, think of a drumlin shape.

If our drop off is not as fast as other countries (have not looked so am not disputing it) that would suggest our lockdown measures have not been as effective. That could be a whole load of factors from outside contact, to people having illicit parties etc. If could also of course be the care home numbers.

So again, not necessarily the reasons we immediately think of. Not to say you are wrong, but it could be other factors.

As for the govt trailing the good news, I think they are working on the "keep going, wont be long now" which may lead to more keeping with the lockdown as opposed to people giving up on it.

Will not defend the govt for maybe pushing political well being over the nations interests. They are politicians are have demonstrated self interest over the country's interests all their careers imho.

Off cycling so will leave the debate for now.

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:52 - May 7 with 1690 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:43 - May 7 by sparks

I am inclined to agree.

The testing target is a disingenuous joke as well. The 100k was clearly a politically motivated push to get it for 30 April per the target, rather than a real consistent capacity and progress.

Meanwhile tractor production in the Urals is breaking all records!

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:59 - May 7 with 1666 viewssparks

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:52 - May 7 by bluelagos

Couple of points, not to dismiss what you have raised.

The graph showing the deaths are dropping but clearly not as fast as it rose. Anyone expecting a bell curve for deaths is not going to see it. It is clearly from the graphs presented (and I cant rememeber the name for the distribution from my college days) going to be drawn out, think of a drumlin shape.

If our drop off is not as fast as other countries (have not looked so am not disputing it) that would suggest our lockdown measures have not been as effective. That could be a whole load of factors from outside contact, to people having illicit parties etc. If could also of course be the care home numbers.

So again, not necessarily the reasons we immediately think of. Not to say you are wrong, but it could be other factors.

As for the govt trailing the good news, I think they are working on the "keep going, wont be long now" which may lead to more keeping with the lockdown as opposed to people giving up on it.

Will not defend the govt for maybe pushing political well being over the nations interests. They are politicians are have demonstrated self interest over the country's interests all their careers imho.

Off cycling so will leave the debate for now.

Our infections are not dropping off as others are.

Our deaths are dropping slowly- but the real point is that we are way behind other places which are starting to relax (initially stronger) restrictions.

Logically, we appear to be going too early.

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 09:06 - May 7 with 1640 viewsGlasgowBlue

If we are two to three weeks behind Italy then this would be two to three weeks early imo.

I can understand some sort of regional relaxation but not nationwide.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 09:08 - May 7 with 1631 views26_Paz

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:59 - May 7 by sparks

Our deaths are dropping slowly- but the real point is that we are way behind other places which are starting to relax (initially stronger) restrictions.

As others have stated our infection rates, or more accurately put the number of people testing positive, have remained pretty much static despite a four or five fold increase in the number of tests. We were getting four or five thousand positives when we were testing hardly anyone, we're now getting four or five thousand when we're testing quite a lot (though still not enough) people. This indicates rates of infection are going down. This is backed up by fairly sharp decreases in deaths and, crucially, the number of people in hospital.
The risk involved of healthy people engaging in some outside activity a bit more is practically nil. Its also an important first step to get people in the right place for further re start activities that will follow.

The Paz Man

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 09:08 - May 7 with 1630 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:41 - May 7 by gordon

It’s telling that Rabb is doing tonight’s briefing. Johnson is definitely holding himself back for the grand announcement on Sunday. It’s all grandstanding.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 09:16 - May 7 with 1614 viewssparks

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 09:08 - May 7 by 26_Paz

As others have stated our infection rates, or more accurately put the number of people testing positive, have remained pretty much static despite a four or five fold increase in the number of tests. We were getting four or five thousand positives when we were testing hardly anyone, we're now getting four or five thousand when we're testing quite a lot (though still not enough) people. This indicates rates of infection are going down. This is backed up by fairly sharp decreases in deaths and, crucially, the number of people in hospital.
The risk involved of healthy people engaging in some outside activity a bit more is practically nil. Its also an important first step to get people in the right place for further re start activities that will follow.

The death rates are not dropping nearly as markedly as it looked a week ago.

Other countries have increased testing significantly too- so the comparisons, whilst problematic, are still worthwhile- and clearly show us in a far worse light than other places which are starting to relax restrictions (which were far stronger in the first place).

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 09:18 - May 7 with 1604 viewsNotSure

Looks like picnics and sunbathing could be back on the agenda from Monday on 08:59 - May 7 by sparks

Looking at the statistics from Wiki ...

Italy peak for deaths March 27th
Spain peak for deaths April 2nd
France peak for deaths April 7th (Ignoring strange number for April 15th
UK peak for deaths April 8th.
Germany peak for deaths April 15th

And a lot of the above countries relaxed their restrictions a few weeks ago so we are behind them anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024