Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it busier out there? 16:01 - May 7 with 2413 viewsitfcjoe

I seem to hear that it is, but doesn't feel that way.

I went down to Felixstowe today* and bearing in mind it is glorious out there today it wasn't busy at all there. A fair few people walking, but everyone keeping their distances and no real issues at all. Traffic a little heavier than last longer drive during the lockdown (about 3 weeks ago) but not much worse.

It seems that we keep getting told people have had enough and are giving up, but it's not actually happening even when looking at the stats

*Frist time I've driven for a walk but well within the guidelines of it being a much longer walk than drive

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is it busier out there? on 16:04 - May 7 with 1457 viewsJakeITFC

I went to Felixstowe seafront today as well and I would say it was 20x busier than when I went to the same spot on Monday.

Obviously I'm part of the problem so can't moan too much, but I think I'll be finding somewhere else to walk if it continues to be so populated.
Is it busier out there? on 16:07 - May 7 with 1440 viewsgainsboroughblue

On my visits today, it seems far busier today than any day in the last fortnight at least.

It feels like people are pre-empting easing on rules.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Is it busier out there? on 16:10 - May 7 with 1429 viewsemmaroyds

Is it busier out there? on 16:04 - May 7 by JakeITFC

I went to Felixstowe seafront today as well and I would say it was 20x busier than when I went to the same spot on Monday.

Obviously I'm part of the problem so can't moan too much, but I think I'll be finding somewhere else to walk if it continues to be so populated.

It's going to get worse over the weekend.
Some people seem to have got it into their heads that lockdown is over.

There could be another rise in cases me thinks.
Is it busier out there? on 16:10 - May 7 with 1425 viewsbluelagos

So my insights are only valid for North Essex / South Suffolk / Ipswich area.

Was out driving again this afternoon around Ipswich as I am 2/3 times a week (all on govt approved journeys) and it was quiet today. Tuesday was definitely busier than previous weeks and I think we are seeing a few more tradesmen out and about. I saw quite a few landy cars + trailers today, looked agricultural and/or business, not pleasure trips.

I did see a handful of motorbikes and won't pretend they were shopping, they clearly were out for a blast.

My gut feel is that a few businesses that closed and didn't have to, are now reopening. The car wash on Wherstead Road for example was open today, closed previously.

Aside from the motorbikes, didn't see any obvious people out for fun.

Just my observations :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Is it busier out there? on 16:12 - May 7 with 1411 viewsStokieBlue

I think it's totally location specific.

London is definitely busier probably because it's just not possible for lots of people to be out and keep it all distanced and quiet. Ullua posted about Walthamstow already today.

I am also not sure the stats are relevant for big cities. People don't need to use the transport system or their cars for places to be crowded.

I am sure that countrywide though it's still being upheld very well.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is it busier out there? on 16:15 - May 7 with 1393 viewssparks

Noticeably busier.

Traffic normal in the village- cars parking outside teh shop, Legion car park with 15 rather than 5 cars in it. Queue outside the coop was 10 long.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Is it busier out there? on 16:17 - May 7 with 1386 viewshomer_123

Yes.

I posted about this over a week ago.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is it busier out there? on 16:26 - May 7 with 1367 viewsChutney

Is that the guideline? That it's a longer walk than drive.

I thought it was leaving the house for 1 piece of exercise per day (up to an hour).

Genuine question.
Login to get fewer ads

Is it busier out there? on 16:34 - May 7 with 1342 viewsbluelagos

Is it busier out there? on 16:26 - May 7 by Chutney

I thought it was leaving the house for 1 piece of exercise per day (up to an hour).

Genuine question.

ACPO (police chiefs) issued guidelines to the police about as/when to fine people. They stated that driving a reasonable distance to exercise is ok. They gave an example of when the exercise is longer than the drive then that would be deemed reasonable.

The govt gave no guidelines* on the issue and/or the length of exercise. Some ministers spoke in press interviews about an hour and that was widely interpreted as the govt guidelines by many.

But laws are not and never have been made in press interviews as far as I know. So yep, you are good to exercise as long as you wish and to drive to get there assuming it is like 30 mins and your exercise is longer.

Obviously all whilst social distancing :-)

Edit: Correction ref there is a comment on their site about driving - see the links etc. below.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 17:56]

Is it busier out there? on 16:35 - May 7 with 1338 viewsChutney

Is it busier out there? on 16:34 - May 7 by bluelagos

ACPO (police chiefs) issued guidelines to the police about as/when to fine people. They stated that driving a reasonable distance to exercise is ok. They gave an example of when the exercise is longer than the drive then that would be deemed reasonable.

The govt gave no guidelines* on the issue and/or the length of exercise. Some ministers spoke in press interviews about an hour and that was widely interpreted as the govt guidelines by many.

But laws are not and never have been made in press interviews as far as I know. So yep, you are good to exercise as long as you wish and to drive to get there assuming it is like 30 mins and your exercise is longer.

Edit: Correction ref there is a comment on their site about driving - see the links etc. below.

Interesting. Good to know.

Thank you.
Is it busier out there? on 16:37 - May 7 with 1332 viewsOsborneOneNil

Had a rare visit to the office this afternoon, 7 mile drive from Weymouth to Dorchester, and the roads were the busiest I've seen since lockdown. Almost seemed like 'normal'. The car park I use by the office, also near a small Waitrose, was almost full. 2 weeks ago I was one of 4 cars there.
Is it busier out there? on 16:39 - May 7 with 1319 viewsitfcjoe

Is it busier out there? on 16:26 - May 7 by Chutney

Genuine question.

I think that hour thing is just from France, never been something stated here

Is it busier out there? on 16:44 - May 7 with 1313 viewsstopmoaning

Is it busier out there? on 16:34 - May 7 by bluelagos

Isn't the guideline on exercise not to travel for it and to do it in your local area? And by that it means local to your house?

The whole point being in that travel time on the road you could have an accident and therefore use the NHS?
Is it busier out there? on 16:47 - May 7 with 1300 viewsbluelagos

Is it busier out there? on 16:44 - May 7 by stopmoaning

Isn't the guideline on exercise not to travel for it and to do it in your local area? And by that it means local to your house?

The whole point being in that travel time on the road you could have an accident and therefore use the NHS?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-ca

Have a read :-)

Is it busier out there? on 16:47 - May 7 with 1306 viewsBlueBadger

If my one-weekly jaunt into Sudbiry to do the supermarket plus travels into work are anything to go by, no. I suspect it LOOKS busier because people are spacing out their daily routines more now, a few weeks ago it felt like every one was walking their dog at the same time, now there's more a slow trickle all day.

If anything, I've found supermarket queues to be be far shorter, in general.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 16:59]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is it busier out there? on 16:49 - May 7 with 1288 viewsitfcjoe

Which end was that, I was Fludyers end and wasn’t busy, guess around Pier still is then?

Is it busier out there? on 16:50 - May 7 with 1286 viewsITFC_Forever

Is it busier out there? on 16:10 - May 7 by bluelagos

So my insights are only valid for North Essex / South Suffolk / Ipswich area.

Was out driving again this afternoon around Ipswich as I am 2/3 times a week (all on govt approved journeys) and it was quiet today. Tuesday was definitely busier than previous weeks and I think we are seeing a few more tradesmen out and about. I saw quite a few landy cars + trailers today, looked agricultural and/or business, not pleasure trips.

I did see a handful of motorbikes and won't pretend they were shopping, they clearly were out for a blast.

My gut feel is that a few businesses that closed and didn't have to, are now reopening. The car wash on Wherstead Road for example was open today, closed previously.

Aside from the motorbikes, didn't see any obvious people out for fun.

Just my observations :-)

The Wherstead Rd car wash has been open for a couple of weeks now.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Is it busier out there? on 16:50 - May 7 with 1283 viewsLord_Lucan

I agree with your ratio.

I've been driving to work every Wednesday and returning Friday during lockdown and the difference is night and day.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Is it busier out there? on 16:55 - May 7 with 1268 viewsbluelagos

Is it busier out there? on 16:50 - May 7 by ITFC_Forever

The Wherstead Rd car wash has been open for a couple of weeks now.

Which is what I think is happening. Businesses that didn't have to close are now reopening. Same with the self employed who have worked out that can carry on working. And more people are doing exercise.

So I personally don't see the increased traffic as a sign of the lockdown failing, rather people doing what they legitimately could do but where too scared / shamed from doing before.

Is it busier out there? on 17:01 - May 7 with 1254 viewsr2d2

Is it busier out there? on 16:10 - May 7 by emmaroyds

It's going to get worse over the weekend.
Some people seem to have got it into their heads that lockdown is over.

There could be another rise in cases me thinks.

Its going to be a massive mistake if we relax the stay at home message for at least another 3 weeks. People will be out and about all over the place unnecessarily. Sturgeon has as good as said so, and as much as lm not a fan of her, l think she is doing the right thing for Scotland. I think Boris is being led by the media.
Is it busier out there? on 17:03 - May 7 with 1246 viewsBogblue

Certainly many more cars on the road than two weeks ago and from what Ive read that's throughout the UK
Is it busier out there? on 17:14 - May 7 with 1208 viewsstopmoaning

Is it busier out there? on 16:47 - May 7 by bluelagos

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-ca

Have a read :-)

So you shouldn't be driving to exercise when you can do it where you live?

15. Can I drive to a national park or other green space to walk?
We advise you to stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible — do not travel unnecessarily.
Is it busier out there? on 17:20 - May 7 with 1179 viewsTractorWood

Is it busier out there? on 16:12 - May 7 by StokieBlue

I think it's totally location specific.

London is definitely busier probably because it's just not possible for lots of people to be out and keep it all distanced and quiet. Ullua posted about Walthamstow already today.

I am also not sure the stats are relevant for big cities. People don't need to use the transport system or their cars for places to be crowded.

I am sure that countrywide though it's still being upheld very well.

SB

Went out on my bike around West Suffolk at lunch and it was very busy. Lots of cars, people being a sheepish as they were clearly running odd jobs.

Vans driving at 70mph everywhere.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Is it busier out there? on 17:31 - May 7 with 1150 viewsGlasgowBlue

I get out everyday for exercise and I’ve noticed it getting busier every day for the last two weeks.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is it busier out there? on 17:36 - May 7 with 1136 viewsfactual_blue

Is it busier out there? on 16:47 - May 7 by BlueBadger

If my one-weekly jaunt into Sudbiry to do the supermarket plus travels into work are anything to go by, no. I suspect it LOOKS busier because people are spacing out their daily routines more now, a few weeks ago it felt like every one was walking their dog at the same time, now there's more a slow trickle all day.

If anything, I've found supermarket queues to be be far shorter, in general.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 16:59]

Indeed. I've noticed more white vans and similar on the roads. Also the renovation of the old police station in Ixworth has restarted. That alone accounts for at least four white vans, two of which are from electrical contractors in norwich.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024