Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting 16:28 - May 7 with 5996 viewsbluelagos

Not yet seen any hint of a street party or god forbid, an invite to join in any communal singing.

I do not live in Bentley.

He is normally a social chap with no known mental illnesses. Except he supports Norwich.

He has used the correct colours.

Am wondering on the correct Twtd compliant approach...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:31 - May 7 with 2761 viewsDarth_Koont

Flame-thrower?

Although might be a bit OTT.

Pronouns: He/Him

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:32 - May 7 with 2752 viewsfooters

Bunting is just the thin end of the wedge. Put a threatening note through his door and tell him to take it down. Or else.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:34 - May 7 with 2727 viewsChutney

"no known mental illnesses. Except he supports Norwich".

Nothing hurts me like a paradox.
My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:37 - May 7 with 2714 viewsbluelagos

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:31 - May 7 by Darth_Koont

Flame-thrower?

Although might be a bit OTT.

I do have some weed burners that could do the job. Maybe I burn all the red ones leaving just the blue and white bunting?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:42 - May 7 with 2710 viewsGeoffSentence

We had the 'stay at home street party pack' delivered through the door today.

Got to admit, it's not my kind of thing, I'm not a specially sociable bloke and I'm not into these war celebrations, think it's long past time that we stopped harking back to the war. Mind you I might have popped out if there was a proper street party, just to say hello to one or two of the neighbours.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:44 - May 7 with 2690 viewsBlueBadger

An understated display of triophies should be enough.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:45 - May 7 with 2684 viewsfooters

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:42 - May 7 by GeoffSentence

Got to admit, it's not my kind of thing, I'm not a specially sociable bloke and I'm not into these war celebrations, think it's long past time that we stopped harking back to the war. Mind you I might have popped out if there was a proper street party, just to say hello to one or two of the neighbours.

If you stay at home, how can you have a street party?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:48 - May 7 with 2675 viewsbluelagos

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:45 - May 7 by footers

If you stay at home, how can you have a street party?

Some streets will be basically partying in their front gardens. Tattingstone residents have gone for it judging by the amount of bunting along that stretch of the A137.

Login to get fewer ads

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:49 - May 7 with 2669 viewsDarth_Koont

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:37 - May 7 by bluelagos

I do have some weed burners that could do the job. Maybe I burn all the red ones leaving just the blue and white bunting?

That's great.

But what you could also do is add to the red, white and blue with a massive picture of Putin. Would give an entirely different feel to the display.

Pronouns: He/Him

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:52 - May 7 with 2658 viewsbluelagos

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:44 - May 7 by BlueBadger

An understated display of triophies should be enough.

Had I known, I could have gone all arty and made some cut outs from the cornflake boxes. Frigging bin men turned up today and took away the recycling earlier :-(

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 17:24 - May 7 with 2590 viewsfactual_blue

Remind him of the great sacrifices made by Soviet soldiers in the defeat of nazism, and suggest he includes the Soviet flag in his bunting.

With a picture of Marshal Zhukov, obviously.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:36 - May 7 with 2516 viewsFtnfwest

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 17:24 - May 7 by factual_blue

Remind him of the great sacrifices made by Soviet soldiers in the defeat of nazism, and suggest he includes the Soviet flag in his bunting.

With a picture of Marshal Zhukov, obviously.

Never one to shirk sacrificing a couple of million more peasants
My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:37 - May 7 with 2515 viewsbluelagos

Fcks sake, just had the knock on the door. Whole sodding close is doing drinks, food etc. from our front gardens tomorrow afternoon.

I need a govt approved reason to be out :-) Exercise won't cut it as I could have gone out in the morning...

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:41 - May 7 with 2494 viewsFtnfwest

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:37 - May 7 by bluelagos

Fcks sake, just had the knock on the door. Whole sodding close is doing drinks, food etc. from our front gardens tomorrow afternoon.

I need a govt approved reason to be out :-) Exercise won't cut it as I could have gone out in the morning...

Yes but have you already said you’ll do the vol au vents?
My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:42 - May 7 with 2493 viewsBlueBadger

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:37 - May 7 by bluelagos

Go outside in the morning and cough for a bit until they all insist you go back in.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:44 - May 7 with 2480 viewsNewcyBlue

Have you got a mankini?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:48 - May 7 with 2457 viewsEwan_Oozami

Ask him if it's to celebrate our great successes in the Great Covid War?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:48 - May 7 with 2455 viewsbluelagos

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:44 - May 7 by NewcyBlue

Have you got a mankini?

Mate, with my highly toned cycling physique - the ladies mighten be able to hold 'emselves back.

Can't be risking it, we all have to behave as if we have CV.

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 19:24 - May 7 with 2422 viewsfactual_blue

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:36 - May 7 by Ftnfwest

Never one to shirk sacrificing a couple of million more peasants

Although they did defeat nazism. In the last nine months of WW2, German military casualties exceeded those in the preceding four years of the war. Most of those were on the Eastern Front.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 19:54 - May 7 with 2396 viewsFtnfwest

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 19:24 - May 7 by factual_blue

Although they did defeat nazism. In the last nine months of WW2, German military casualties exceeded those in the preceding four years of the war. Most of those were on the Eastern Front.

Oh it dwarfed the western fronts, the soviets alone lost 10m military casualties which was twice the German total on all fronts, largely due to repeated and enormous encirclements throughout. The break off of hostilities with japan allowed the soviets to throw millions of more fresh troops plus tanks at the hun.
My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:23 - May 7 with 2358 viewsjeera

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:41 - May 7 by Ftnfwest

Yes but have you already said you’ll do the vol au vents?

You mean sausage rolls.

None of that other foreign muck.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:26 - May 7 with 2352 viewsjeera

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 18:48 - May 7 by bluelagos

Mate, with my highly toned cycling physique - the ladies mighten be able to hold 'emselves back.

Can't be risking it, we all have to behave as if we have CV.

As it's easily transferable why wouldn't we all try to behave as though we have it?

I understand your point about people needing to get out and about - exercise etc. You're hardly alone feeling that way so the campaigning isn't necessary.

But I'm struggling with the mocking of the measures required to protect people too.

You seem to swing from one side of the fence to the other on this and I really don't get it.

I want the people I care about to be protected and I expect everyone to take their share of responsibility. Surely that's right.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 20:40]

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:32 - May 7 with 2341 viewsjeera

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 16:42 - May 7 by GeoffSentence

Yeah I've had this conversation a couple of times this week.

I'm all for keeping Remembrance Sunday, and the week either side of it, going forever.

But I'm unsure about these celebratory type events here and there and it's not immediately apparent to me what the purpose is now so many years after the war. What is it we're hoping to do? Rub the noses of other countries in it who have spent generations trying to move forwards?

I appreciate I may be missing something.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 20:43]

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:41 - May 7 with 2325 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not a sniff of anything here, and to be honest I've not got a clue what's going on (that's normal though). I just know we normally have a couple of Bank Holidays in May and we've got a Bank Holiday in May tomorrow. The whats and whys have gone straight over my head. Not heard a single person mention it over this side of the country (other than in terms of it being a BH and getting a day off).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:51 - May 7 with 2313 viewsFtnfwest

My neighbour has just covered his house, drive, garden etc with bunting on 20:32 - May 7 by jeera

Yeah I've had this conversation a couple of times this week.

I'm all for keeping Remembrance Sunday, and the week either side of it, going forever.

But I'm unsure about these celebratory type events here and there and it's not immediately apparent to me what the purpose is now so many years after the war. What is it we're hoping to do? Rub the noses of other countries in it who have spent generations trying to move forwards?

I appreciate I may be missing something.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 20:43]

European countries all have liberation day celebrations and this is our equivalent really. It’s a celebration of the end of the war not the war itself. Anyway it’s all pretty muted and usually only on particular milestones now like like 5 or ten year anniversaries. To be honest people are just looking for any sort of celebration at the moment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024