Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football finances 18:15 - May 8 with 520 viewsCrawfordsboot

In recent days there has been a number of interesting articles on football finances and the huge impact that the fallout from the Corona horror story is likely to have on clubs.

“In 2018, the Premier League earned £3 billion from TV money and £2.9 billion went out in wages. Meanwhile, the EFL spent £1 billion in wages despite receiving just £100 million from TV. Parry, formerly Liverpool’s chief executive, described it as a crazy model that requires a “reset.”

The extract above comes from an article in the athletic. It makes very clear that the “throw money at it and hope” financial model in the Championship is unsustainable in the long term, and is only sustainable in the short term with very rich benefactors.

If we add in to this mix the impact of closed grounds, games behind closed doors and possibly loss of TV money it is clear that there are likely to be a number of casualties and clubs failing. This set me thinking that actually I am happy to have an owner who ,though supportive, has run ITFC on a prudent financial basis such that hopefully we will be able to survive as a football club.

That in turn feeds my despair at the negative whiners who complain that we only have loan signings, that all our players are sh** just because they are By and large Div 1 players. Surprise surprise we are in Div 1 and have a Div 1 budget.

The next six months to a year will see clubs fold. We need to hope that our owner keeps the faith and that we do not join them
Football finances on 18:30 - May 8 with 473 viewsRadlett_blue

Couldn't agree more. While the biggest problems will be in the Championship (assuming the Premier League does get going behind closed doors at some stage) you can also see why the PL clubs won't be in a position to toss a few bones to the Football League. If there isn't football with crowds this year (which is perfectly possible) the players have to take huge wage cuts (& insist on free transfers if they want) or there will be a string of administrations.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024