Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... 19:23 - May 8 with 2394 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

...an English manager, hailed by 3 Englishmen, 1 Welshman and 1 Scot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52591618

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 20:15 - May 8 with 2257 viewsvapour_trail

you're a fvcking w@nker. I didn't rate you as a player, I don't rate you as a manager, and I don't rate you as a person. You're a fVcking w@nker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your boIIocks.

Oh sorry, wrong English Irish manager.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 20:33 - May 8 with 2212 viewsEireannach_gorm

Hilarious.

What nationality is your Cricket World Cup winning captain?

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 20:37 - May 8 with 2195 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 20:33 - May 8 by Eireannach_gorm

Hilarious.

I don't follow cricket

To be fair, the 94 World Cup squad had 8 Irish born players.
[Post edited 8 May 2020 20:38]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 21:06 - May 8 with 2117 viewsjontysnut

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 20:15 - May 8 by vapour_trail

you're a fvcking w@nker. I didn't rate you as a player, I don't rate you as a manager, and I don't rate you as a person. You're a fVcking w@nker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your boIIocks.

Oh sorry, wrong English Irish manager.

Keane's interview.

"Roy, can you give us an example of how you reacted to a difficult situation at work?"
Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 21:10 - May 8 with 2107 viewsFtnfwest

Hilarious.

Has he just paid tribute to Jack Charlton as well?
Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 22:02 - May 8 with 2017 viewsMoriarty

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/05/08/sport/soccernews/jack-charlton-

Respected by vast majority Irish fans. Jeered by English fans, Wembley 91.

If only we had Lineker back then.

fka omuircheartaigh

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 22:44 - May 8 with 1932 viewsNthQldITFC

What's he done to that bird's arm, is that yellow light growin' out of her beaver, and why is the evidence tag still on that feckn great umbrella? That's what I want to know.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 22:57 - May 8 with 1914 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 22:02 - May 8 by Moriarty

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/05/08/sport/soccernews/jack-charlton-

Respected by vast majority Irish fans. Jeered by English fans, Wembley 91.

If only we had Lineker back then.

I think most English fans liked him.

I was wanting Eire to do well at USA 94.

I remember cheering Houghtons goal v Italy (after I picked myself up off the floor).

Login to get fewer ads

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 07:17 - May 9 with 1772 viewsMoriarty

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 22:57 - May 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

I remember cheering Houghtons goal v Italy (after I picked myself up off the floor).

Might sound a bit mad but I think Jack is right. If we had Lineker or a replica, we’d have won WC90. How our fortunes have changed.

The highlight of WC94 for me was Paul McGrath’s performance v Italy, although as you say, Ray Houghton’s goal was some moment.

I was shouting England on v Croatia in the last WC. Real pity they didn’t win it.

Ireland have some decent young players coming on stream but I’m not optimistic about the manager.

fka omuircheartaigh

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 10:14 - May 9 with 1673 viewsRadlett_blue

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 22:57 - May 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think Jack was a straightforward, likeable guy & an effective manager, although some of the football Ireland played was very ugly.
He was offered the job as manager of Second Division club Middlesbrough on his 38th birthday in 1973. He declined to be interviewed for the position, and instead handed the club a list of responsibilities he expected to take, which if agreed to would give him total control of the running of the club. He refused a contract, and would never sign a contract throughout his managerial career. He took a salary of £10,000 a year despite the chairman being willing to pay a lot more; his only stipulations were a gentleman's agreement that he would not be sacked, assurances that he would have no interference from the board in team affairs, and three days off a week for fishing and shooting

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 10:27 - May 9 with 1660 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 07:17 - May 9 by Moriarty

Might sound a bit mad but I think Jack is right. If we had Lineker or a replica, we’d have won WC90. How our fortunes have changed.

The highlight of WC94 for me was Paul McGrath’s performance v Italy, although as you say, Ray Houghton’s goal was some moment.

I was shouting England on v Croatia in the last WC. Real pity they didn’t win it.

Ireland have some decent young players coming on stream but I’m not optimistic about the manager.

The Rep of Ireland were so good at Italia 90 they failed to win a game.

Egypt 0 0 is the worst game of football I've ever seen. The draws against England, Holland and Romania were tedious.

You think they'd have beaten Italy, Argentina and West Germany if they had a top striker? I don't remember them getting close to the Italian goal. In a parallel universe they'd have lost to Holland and went home after the group stage.

The Euro 88 side was superior, if Jack had have got them playing football on the deck they could have made the semi-finals.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 12:12 - May 9 with 1606 viewsEnigma_Blue

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 07:17 - May 9 by Moriarty

You had Aldridge who was only a couple of years older than Lineker and who's goal scoring record at club level was as good as Liniker's. If the they had played more attacking football under Charlton they would have scored more goals, with the likes of Sheedy, Brady, Whelan & Houghton in midfield they certainly had the creativity.I
With top quality defenders like McGrath, Moran, O'leary & Houton there was no need to play just as defensively as they did.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 12:31]
Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 12:22 - May 9 with 1595 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 12:12 - May 9 by Enigma_Blue

You had Aldridge who was only a couple of years older than Lineker and who's goal scoring record at club level was as good as Liniker's. If the they had played more attacking football under Charlton they would have scored more goals, with the likes of Sheedy, Brady, Whelan & Houghton in midfield they certainly had the creativity.I
With top quality defenders like McGrath, Moran, O'leary & Houton there was no need to play just as defensively as they did.

Jack Charlton had a lot of very talented players who could all play on the deck. Instead he decided to make every game a 50/50 by hoofing it up to Niall Quinn and Tony Cascarino whenever the could.

A top manager would have achieved more with such a fine squad.

Northern Ireland between 1980-86 had a weaker squad overall but played it on the deck and achieved as much if not more.

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 13:04 - May 9 with 1567 viewsRenegade_Statman

Hilarious.

Disappointing that this needs to be pointed out, but needed.

When you sleep I will creep into your thoughts, like a bad debt that you can't pay

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 13:39 - May 9 with 1541 viewsMoriarty

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 12:12 - May 9 by Enigma_Blue

They were direct but they were very effective. And many of their opponents respected that.

It’s was the manager’s way and the players bought into it.

Their performance v Russia in Euro 88 showed how they could play. Charlton’s predecessor was less direct, had good players and didn’t qualify.

Jack had his style. It can’t be forgotten that we nearly won the first WC we qualified for and I know first hand that the players genuinely believed they could do it. Aldo is very popular here. But he wasn’t as quick as Lineker.

fka omuircheartaigh

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 14:10 - May 9 with 1507 viewsMoriarty

Hilarious.

And Terry Butcher born in Singapore.

We have to make some allowances for some who just can’t understand the diaspora and all that goes with that.l! Most on here are sound but there are one or two who’re a little more sinister towards our people - I’m sure you have them pegged as well.

fka omuircheartaigh

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 14:43 - May 9 with 1483 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 13:39 - May 9 by Moriarty

They were direct but they were very effective. And many of their opponents respected that.

It’s was the manager’s way and the players bought into it.

Their performance v Russia in Euro 88 showed how they could play. Charlton’s predecessor was less direct, had good players and didn’t qualify.

Jack had his style. It can’t be forgotten that we nearly won the first WC we qualified for and I know first hand that the players genuinely believed they could do it. Aldo is very popular here. But he wasn’t as quick as Lineker.

Nearly won the World Cup??

I must have missed that tournament.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 14:43]

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 14:58 - May 9 with 1463 viewsEnigma_Blue

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 12:22 - May 9 by The_Last_Baron

Jack Charlton had a lot of very talented players who could all play on the deck. Instead he decided to make every game a 50/50 by hoofing it up to Niall Quinn and Tony Cascarino whenever the could.

A top manager would have achieved more with such a fine squad.

Northern Ireland between 1980-86 had a weaker squad overall but played it on the deck and achieved as much if not more.

I agree to a certain extent but Charlton set them up very defensively in the 90 WC. He played Paul McGrath in midfield. When you have hard working all round CM's like Townsend & Houghton there should be no need to play a holding midfielder. Because they did it meant Houghton was played on the right of midfield so there was no place for Ronnie Whelan in the starting eleven.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 15:01]
Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 17:07 - May 9 with 1400 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Tributes to Jack Charlton at 85... on 14:58 - May 9 by Enigma_Blue

I agree to a certain extent but Charlton set them up very defensively in the 90 WC. He played Paul McGrath in midfield. When you have hard working all round CM's like Townsend & Houghton there should be no need to play a holding midfielder. Because they did it meant Houghton was played on the right of midfield so there was no place for Ronnie Whelan in the starting eleven.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 15:01]

Whelan was a superb player. Great goal at Euro '88 v Soviet Union.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024