Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home 11:19 - May 9 with 1181 viewsNewcyBlue

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-52558639

You know that phone, tablet, or laptop, you’re reading the forum on? My seafaring brethren brought it here.

Those apples you’re eating from Spain, we brought them over in Reefer containers. We changed humidity and CO2 settings so that when you bought them at a supermarket they were fresh as the day they were picked.

Your clothes made all over the world came via ships.

Imagine being stuck on a ship, working 7 days a week, up to 14 hours a day, people keeping it moving safely 24 hours a day, with limited internet, unable to get home, and not knowing when you will get home.

Seafarers are keeping the world moving at the moment, we need to get the seafarers moving.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:24 - May 9 with 1148 viewsfactual_blue

Presumably fergalsharkey could ferry them home with his pedalo?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:27 - May 9 with 1137 viewsNewcyBlue

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:24 - May 9 by factual_blue

Presumably fergalsharkey could ferry them home with his pedalo?

I’ll swim.

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:32 - May 9 with 1118 viewsjeera

I had one item ordered from China that took almost 8 weeks to arrive, so I think that came by rowing boat.

Another didn't turn up at all so maybe that one sank.

Surely these are the instances where testing on board is of utmost importance to give the opportunity to separate those infected from those who aren't. Keeping a bunch of people trapped together can only encourage the spread amongst them all.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 11:35]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:33 - May 9 with 1116 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Are you sure those containers weren't packed in Morocco!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:34 - May 9 with 1114 viewsNewcyBlue

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:32 - May 9 by jeera

I had one item ordered from China that took almost 8 weeks to arrive, so I think that came by rowing boat.

Another didn't turn up at all so maybe that one sank.

Surely these are the instances where testing on board is of utmost importance to give the opportunity to separate those infected from those who aren't. Keeping a bunch of people trapped together can only encourage the spread amongst them all.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 11:35]

The guys on ship aren’t allowed ashore. At all.

No shore leave. Nothing. It’s a nightmare for them.

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:37 - May 9 with 1102 viewsjeera

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:34 - May 9 by NewcyBlue

The guys on ship aren’t allowed ashore. At all.

No shore leave. Nothing. It’s a nightmare for them.

No I realise.

That's what I'm asking really, that if those who tested positive could then be allowed to get off the thing.

You'd think the shipping companies would be pushing like mad for some on board testing arrangement.

Or is it simply down to the local authorities where ever a ship is docked?

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:44 - May 9 with 1085 viewsleitrimblue

Tough time for pirate's everywhere I imagine?
Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:46 - May 9 with 1082 viewsNewcyBlue

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:37 - May 9 by jeera

No I realise.

That's what I'm asking really, that if those who tested positive could then be allowed to get off the thing.

You'd think the shipping companies would be pushing like mad for some on board testing arrangement.

Or is it simply down to the local authorities where ever a ship is docked?

We’ve had very few cases of it onboard.

So keeping people on board basically keeps them safe from it.

We have about 13000 crew on our ships. Of varying nationalities, so varying contract lengths.

I doubt we have the capacity to test them, and us at home who are due to relieve them. Plus the cost, our company rarely want to pay for anything as it is.

Login to get fewer ads

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:50 - May 9 with 1071 viewsNewcyBlue

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:44 - May 9 by leitrimblue

They arrrrrrr

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:53 - May 9 with 1061 viewsjeera

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:46 - May 9 by NewcyBlue

We’ve had very few cases of it onboard.

So keeping people on board basically keeps them safe from it.

We have about 13000 crew on our ships. Of varying nationalities, so varying contract lengths.

I doubt we have the capacity to test them, and us at home who are due to relieve them. Plus the cost, our company rarely want to pay for anything as it is.

I mean to say those who tested negative of course, and for those who may be infected to be able to access treatment. Sorry, I knew what I meant.

So I see what you mean now, it's not to stop crew taking it to land but rather the other way about.

So how do you currently go about relieving them? Can a safe change over not be arranged?

I suppose then you don't know if asymptomatic members boarding are infected.

Agree, this is crazy, those people must be going out of the minds.

Another reason for us to appreciate that we can at least get out a bit if only for a walk and brief change of scenery.

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:56 - May 9 with 1052 viewsNewcyBlue

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:53 - May 9 by jeera

I mean to say those who tested negative of course, and for those who may be infected to be able to access treatment. Sorry, I knew what I meant.

So I see what you mean now, it's not to stop crew taking it to land but rather the other way about.

So how do you currently go about relieving them? Can a safe change over not be arranged?

I suppose then you don't know if asymptomatic members boarding are infected.

Agree, this is crazy, those people must be going out of the minds.

Another reason for us to appreciate that we can at least get out a bit if only for a walk and brief change of scenery.

There are no crew changes happening at the moment apart from a couple of nationalities.

Danes and Germans are allowed to change in German ports.

Working for a Danish company, I don’t want to be sceptical about why it’s Danes in German ports... I mean they have a double pay over tour bonus clause in their contract, and are paid very very well...

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 12:01 - May 9 with 1039 viewsfactual_blue

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 11:44 - May 9 by leitrimblue

*Pirates*

There is a furlough scheme in Somalia though.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 16:29 - May 9 with 934 viewsKeno

I am sure we all acknowledge thew debt we owe to seaman and I am sure we could give them a bit hand later

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 17:23 - May 9 with 901 viewsPendejo

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 16:29 - May 9 by Keno

I am sure we all acknowledge thew debt we owe to seaman and I am sure we could give them a bit hand later

Having watched a carry on film today.... I can see you are trolling those, like myself with a puerile sense of humour.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 19:37 - May 9 with 842 viewsjontysnut

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 12:01 - May 9 by factual_blue

*Pirates*

There is a furlough scheme in Somalia though.

I read something this week about a Women's Institute group who were having a talk about pirates. They all got dressed up in eye patches, stripy shirts, knotted hanky hats etc and the speakers turned out to be a couple who'd been kidnapped by Somalians.
Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 19:40 - May 9 with 840 viewsNewcyBlue

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 19:37 - May 9 by jontysnut

I read something this week about a Women's Institute group who were having a talk about pirates. They all got dressed up in eye patches, stripy shirts, knotted hanky hats etc and the speakers turned out to be a couple who'd been kidnapped by Somalians.

Yep. That happened. Just goes to show, women don’t bloody listen.

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 19:52 - May 9 with 829 viewsjeera

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 19:37 - May 9 by jontysnut

That's fecking brilliant and terrible at the same time.

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 20:00 - May 9 with 824 viewsNewcyBlue

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 19:52 - May 9 by jeera

That's fecking brilliant and terrible at the same time.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/02/colin-darch-piracy-womens-institut

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 20:25 - May 9 with 800 viewsjeera

Still I cannot get out to work, and my crew cannot get home on 20:00 - May 9 by NewcyBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/02/colin-darch-piracy-womens-institut

Heh. Blimey.

Still, he didn't seem too bothered.

Great story though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024