Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I am concerned for Darren Bent. 18:10 - May 9 with 2572 viewsLibero

Darren selecting Andy Marshall over Kelvin Davis has triggered alarm bells. Are you okay Hun? xoxo
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 18:42 - May 9 with 2117 viewsfabian_illness

AM was a top class GK and well thought of at the club.
DB is on the button there.
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 18:47 - May 9 with 2109 viewsHipsterectomy

Wasn’t Davis literally voted the championship keeper of the year for us whilst DBtruth was with us?

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:16 - May 9 with 2065 viewsTrequartista

Finidi George had "incredible energy" apparently. I share your concerns.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:25 - May 9 with 2048 viewsLibero

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 18:42 - May 9 by fabian_illness

LOL
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:30 - May 9 with 2035 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He was good when he arrived but unfortunately some so called fans wouldn't accept him and ruined his confidence.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:33 - May 9 with 2030 viewsBlueBadger

It IS a Saturday and reasonably respectable time to be drinking.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:34 - May 9 with 2029 viewsLibero

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:30 - May 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

He was good when he arrived but unfortunately some so called fans wouldn't accept him and ruined his confidence.

Marshall was fresh off the back of a player of the season award at Norwich but truth is he’d always suffered from the yips. Yes, the pressure of being an ex-budgie probably didn’t help but he was outstandingly cr@p week in week out.

I’ve never seen a goal keeper fluff/shank his kicks into touch as often as “top class” Andrew.
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:37 - May 9 with 2022 viewsBlueBadger

In all fairness, he doesn't say he was the best, just the 'most consistent'.

I bit like how our results under PRP have been consistent, I presume.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:37 - May 9 with 2016 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:34 - May 9 by Libero

Marshall was fresh off the back of a player of the season award at Norwich but truth is he’d always suffered from the yips. Yes, the pressure of being an ex-budgie probably didn’t help but he was outstandingly cr@p week in week out.

I’ve never seen a goal keeper fluff/shank his kicks into touch as often as “top class” Andrew.

A bit of support from the fans wouldn't have gone amiss.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:42 - May 9 with 2009 viewsLibero

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:37 - May 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

A bit of support from the fans wouldn't have gone amiss.

I think you’re re-writing history somewhat. Marshall was very well supported but it became difficult to continue to support the bloke who’s yips led to him continually making errors.

Christ, weren’t we all pleased to see Paul Gerrard arrive when he did.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 19:45]
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 22:08 - May 9 with 1859 viewsfabian_illness

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:25 - May 9 by Libero

LOL

Little condescending there, but each to their own.
I won’t hold it against you.
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 22:17 - May 9 with 1843 viewsfabian_illness

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:33 - May 9 by BlueBadger

It IS a Saturday and reasonably respectable time to be drinking.

I’m tee-total bud, not really a drinker.
Hope you don’t mind me having my own opinion, but please do feel free to make fun and rather childishly down vote.
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 07:23 - May 10 with 1673 viewsLibero

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 22:08 - May 9 by fabian_illness

Little condescending there, but each to their own.
I won’t hold it against you.

Sorry mate, just stunned that anyone that witnessed his points costing yip filled performances would consider Marshall “top class” - I think the fact he was replaced with the very average yet dependable Paul Gerrard who was a huge improvement for the team and inspired an upturn in performances say’s it all.
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 07:52 - May 10 with 1649 viewsWeWereZombies

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 07:23 - May 10 by Libero

Sorry mate, just stunned that anyone that witnessed his points costing yip filled performances would consider Marshall “top class” - I think the fact he was replaced with the very average yet dependable Paul Gerrard who was a huge improvement for the team and inspired an upturn in performances say’s it all.

I'm not stunned but am slightly surprised, as one who looked across from the Britannia to the North Stand, that anyone could not appreciate how damaging the adverse support that was given to Andy Marshall was. One or two games of well humoured chants about being from the Nodge would have been OK but the crap treatment was still, and in an ill humoured way, being lumped on him in February. Those supporters played their part in our relegation from the Premiership too.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 08:12 - May 10 with 1625 viewsLibero

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 07:52 - May 10 by WeWereZombies

I'm not stunned but am slightly surprised, as one who looked across from the Britannia to the North Stand, that anyone could not appreciate how damaging the adverse support that was given to Andy Marshall was. One or two games of well humoured chants about being from the Nodge would have been OK but the crap treatment was still, and in an ill humoured way, being lumped on him in February. Those supporters played their part in our relegation from the Premiership too.

I was relatively young at the time, around 15/16 but my memory is that Marshall was very well supported from his introduction to the team but that he received a lot of clog over time for consistently making routine errors and shanking his kicks straight into touch time and time again.

I was also sat in the Britannia at that time and what struck me more than the supporters reaction was the lack of faith any of the back line had in him, it was especially obvious when the dependable but average Paul Gerrard took his spot and the whole team looked calmer and more assured.

In truth Marshall should have been taken out of the firing line, once we we were in the Championship and he was costing us points on a relatively regular basis but I can’t remember what the other options were at the time?
I remember James Pullen coming in for a game against Grimsby and pulling a Marshallesqe balls up for a goal? I assume because of this the options were limited.

To suggest Marshall was crap because of the support or lack there of that we gave him isn’t a fair reflection in my opinion. He was error prone at Norwich too, we just signed him off the back of a purple patch where he won their player of the season.
He made laughable errors before he signed for us, he made laughable errors after he left us, as vitriolic as the abuse he received was or wasn’t he just wasn’t a very good goalkeeper unfortunately...
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 08:19 - May 10 with 1615 viewssolemio

Libero, did you think Sereni was a good keeper?
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 08:27 - May 10 with 1602 viewsLibero

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 08:19 - May 10 by solemio

Libero, did you think Sereni was a good keeper?

I’m not sure I ever really saw enough of him to make a fair judgement. He clearly had good technical ability and I remember him pulling off some very decent reaction saves but ultimately he was kept out of the side by Andy Marshall so he couldn’t have been that good.

Richard Wright, Kelvin Davis, Asmir Begovic and Bartosz Bilakowski are the only goalkeepers I saw play for Ipswich that I considered the kind of keepers who could win you points.

Honourable mentions to dependable but unspectacular keepers, Paul Gerrard, Stephen Henderson, Mike Pollitt, Keith Brannigan, Martin Fulop.
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 11:16 - May 10 with 1496 viewssolemio

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 08:27 - May 10 by Libero

I’m not sure I ever really saw enough of him to make a fair judgement. He clearly had good technical ability and I remember him pulling off some very decent reaction saves but ultimately he was kept out of the side by Andy Marshall so he couldn’t have been that good.

Richard Wright, Kelvin Davis, Asmir Begovic and Bartosz Bilakowski are the only goalkeepers I saw play for Ipswich that I considered the kind of keepers who could win you points.

Honourable mentions to dependable but unspectacular keepers, Paul Gerrard, Stephen Henderson, Mike Pollitt, Keith Brannigan, Martin Fulop.

I agree. He was a terrific reaction saver, but overall rather a poor keeper.
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 11:23 - May 10 with 1486 viewsAce_High1

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 08:12 - May 10 by Libero

I was relatively young at the time, around 15/16 but my memory is that Marshall was very well supported from his introduction to the team but that he received a lot of clog over time for consistently making routine errors and shanking his kicks straight into touch time and time again.

I was also sat in the Britannia at that time and what struck me more than the supporters reaction was the lack of faith any of the back line had in him, it was especially obvious when the dependable but average Paul Gerrard took his spot and the whole team looked calmer and more assured.

In truth Marshall should have been taken out of the firing line, once we we were in the Championship and he was costing us points on a relatively regular basis but I can’t remember what the other options were at the time?
I remember James Pullen coming in for a game against Grimsby and pulling a Marshallesqe balls up for a goal? I assume because of this the options were limited.

To suggest Marshall was crap because of the support or lack there of that we gave him isn’t a fair reflection in my opinion. He was error prone at Norwich too, we just signed him off the back of a purple patch where he won their player of the season.
He made laughable errors before he signed for us, he made laughable errors after he left us, as vitriolic as the abuse he received was or wasn’t he just wasn’t a very good goalkeeper unfortunately...

Agree with a lot of this.

Marshall did not give the defence or fans any confidence. He used to be a bit like a lower league David James, you were always expecting a mistake.

Paul Gerrard who was average was a step up and no surprise Royle prioritised a keeper as a loan signing.

In contrast a good goalkeeper makes such a difference, Kelvin Davis was superb for his 3 seasons.
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 12:15 - May 10 with 1447 viewsronnyd

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 19:42 - May 9 by Libero

I think you’re re-writing history somewhat. Marshall was very well supported but it became difficult to continue to support the bloke who’s yips led to him continually making errors.

Christ, weren’t we all pleased to see Paul Gerrard arrive when he did.
[Post edited 9 May 2020 19:45]

I always thought that Paul Gerrard was a class act.
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 12:44 - May 10 with 1422 viewseireblue

Maybe, as a striker, he liked the inspiration of having to get more goals when Andy was the glovesman. Boosted his performance and importance.
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 13:47 - May 10 with 1386 viewsWeWereZombies

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 08:12 - May 10 by Libero

Well, I stand by my post...

See also singing 'You're not fit to wear the shirt' at Marcus Bent when he was, quite rightly, conserving his energy by not chasing lost causes. Actually that was an even lower point than the treatment Andy Marshall got.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 13:53 - May 10 with 1385 viewsitfcjoe

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 07:23 - May 10 by Libero

He was dropped for James Pullen at one point, who then had an absolute shocker so he was back in the team by default

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 13:57 - May 10 with 1373 viewsLibero

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 13:53 - May 10 by itfcjoe

He was dropped for James Pullen at one point, who then had an absolute shocker so he was back in the team by default

Keith Branagan gone by then? - I remember him stepping in on a couple of occasions and actually being very steady and strong. I think he was towards the end of his career though so possible he retired the season we went down? Don't really remember tbh.
I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 13:59 - May 10 with 1367 viewsLibero

I am concerned for Darren Bent. on 13:47 - May 10 by WeWereZombies

Well, I stand by my post...

See also singing 'You're not fit to wear the shirt' at Marcus Bent when he was, quite rightly, conserving his energy by not chasing lost causes. Actually that was an even lower point than the treatment Andy Marshall got.

Okay mate.

Worth mentioning that Andy Marshall himself admitted that his performances weren't good enough and "accepted" the clubs choice to release him on a free transfer in the close season after being displaced by Paul Gerrard.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/marshall-accepts-his-free-transfer-1-60023
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024