Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup final 15:08 - May 10 with 1105 viewsWestover

I watched the wonderful 1978 cup final this morning on YouTube, I've not watched it all through before, I knew we were well deserving winners but we were never in danger of losing the game and it could have been three or four nil, and Cooper only really had one save to make and a few crosses to take, he according to the commentators was our weak link, but Hunter and Beattie in fact the whole team were superb, a great watch.
FA Cup final on 15:24 - May 10 with 1071 viewsOldsmoker

The ITV recording with Jack Charlton as co-commentator is the one I enjoy watching as that is how I experienced that fantastic day.
A friend brought his B&W portable TV (12" screen) round to my bedsit so I could watch it as I was laid up with a broken ankle.
Town were all over Arsenal and Liam Brady was supposed to be the star man but he never shone thanks to Brian Talbot.
Happy days.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

FA Cup final on 15:31 - May 10 with 1056 viewsWestover

FA Cup final on 15:24 - May 10 by Oldsmoker

The ITV recording with Jack Charlton as co-commentator is the one I enjoy watching as that is how I experienced that fantastic day.
A friend brought his B&W portable TV (12" screen) round to my bedsit so I could watch it as I was laid up with a broken ankle.
Town were all over Arsenal and Liam Brady was supposed to be the star man but he never shone thanks to Brian Talbot.
Happy days.

That's the one I watched, my uncle ex town player couldn't get me a ticket so I had to watch on TV while working not that I did much.

Yep Happy Days.
FA Cup final on 15:39 - May 10 with 1027 viewsPecker

We were the underdogs and Arsenal just had to turn up to win. Think the Arsenal players believed that as well. We were all over them. Brilliant team performance. One of the best games I have ever been to. The crowd were right up for it. Great atmosphere. TWTD
FA Cup final on 15:40 - May 10 with 1019 viewsPJH

It was a great day 42 years ago and it is still a great day.
FA Cup final on 16:00 - May 10 with 982 viewsGuthrum

Any chance of linking the video? I don't think I've watched it all the way through since I did on live TV as a boy in 1978.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

FA Cup final on 16:11 - May 10 with 973 viewsLord_Lucan

FA Cup final on 15:39 - May 10 by Pecker

We were the underdogs and Arsenal just had to turn up to win. Think the Arsenal players believed that as well. We were all over them. Brilliant team performance. One of the best games I have ever been to. The crowd were right up for it. Great atmosphere. TWTD

I never understood why we were supposed to have been such massive underdogs as it was only that season where we weren't a far better team than them. They hadn't finished above us in the league since 72/73

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

FA Cup final on 16:30 - May 10 with 940 viewsPJH

FA Cup final on 16:11 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

I never understood why we were supposed to have been such massive underdogs as it was only that season where we weren't a far better team than them. They hadn't finished above us in the league since 72/73

We had a poor league season in 1977/78 and we were rightly underdogs for the Final(and semi final)but we should not have been such massive underdogs in a two horse race.

We did only finish two places and three points clear of relegation although we were more or less safe with four games left.We lost our last three league games which took us closer to the drop but from memory we were as good as safe before those games.
FA Cup final on 16:39 - May 10 with 931 viewsfactual_blue

FA Cup final on 16:11 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

Bobby painted us as underdogs in the week beforehand.

I think it was only a couple of weeks before the final we were mathematically safe from relegation.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup final on 16:44 - May 10 with 923 viewsLord_Lucan

FA Cup final on 16:30 - May 10 by PJH

We had a poor league season in 1977/78 and we were rightly underdogs for the Final(and semi final)but we should not have been such massive underdogs in a two horse race.

We did only finish two places and three points clear of relegation although we were more or less safe with four games left.We lost our last three league games which took us closer to the drop but from memory we were as good as safe before those games.

Yes I know, it was a rhetorical question.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

FA Cup final on 17:36 - May 10 with 879 viewsPJH

FA Cup final on 16:44 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

Yes I know, it was a rhetorical question.

Sorry, thought you genuinely did not understand us being underdogs.
FA Cup final on 18:28 - May 10 with 827 viewsLord_Lucan

FA Cup final on 17:36 - May 10 by PJH

I have always found it strange. I remember the newspapers after it all claiming "Shock result", "Giant killing".

There are two games in my life that I really couldn't see anything else but an Ipswich win, that was one of them and the other was also at Wembley against Barnsley. I never once doubted the outcome in either.

FA Cup final on 18:33 - May 10 with 818 viewsBramidan

FA Cup final on 15:40 - May 10 by PJH

It was a great day 42 years ago and it is still a great day.

I was there but watched it a couple of weeks ago, I could not believe how good we were, Wark hit the post twice, Mariner off the crossbar. Pat Rice was still turning in bed that night!
Malcolm McDonald had given it Johny Bigspuds for about 2 weeks, he was in Hunters and Beatties pockets all match, had one chance straight at Cooper. Cooper our weakest link? He was a g great shot stoppereven if people considered him too short.
What a team, 67 years old and the other night I choked up, proud to be a tractor boy.
FA Cup final on 18:33 - May 10 with 816 viewsfactual_blue

FA Cup final on 18:28 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

I have always found it strange. I remember the newspapers after it all claiming "Shock result", "Giant killing".

There are two games in my life that I really couldn't see anything else but an Ipswich win, that was one of them and the other was also at Wembley against Barnsley. I never once doubted the outcome in either.

Bob Wilson's rant on TV about what he saw as Bobby Robson's gamesmanship in exaggerating Town's injuries ahead of the match was a joy to behold.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

FA Cup final on 20:11 - May 10 with 718 viewsLord_Lucan

FA Cup final on 18:33 - May 10 by factual_blue

Bob Wilson's rant on TV about what he saw as Bobby Robson's gamesmanship in exaggerating Town's injuries ahead of the match was a joy to behold.

If you find a link perhaps you could share it, I can't recall seeing it.

FA Cup final on 20:12 - May 10 with 716 viewsusm

FA Cup final on 18:28 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

Likewise Lucan, but I was also certain we,d beat Man City in the 81 semi final and look what happened there

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

FA Cup final on 20:25 - May 10 with 702 viewsBloomBlue

FA Cup final on 17:36 - May 10 by PJH

I know the bookies had Arsenal as fav as my old mate reminded me every year until he died that Ipswich were 9/4 (Arsenal were evens) and the bet he had on us winning, won him enough to pay for a week's holiday in Spain.
FA Cup final on 20:29 - May 10 with 700 viewsPJH

FA Cup final on 20:25 - May 10 by BloomBlue

I know the bookies had Arsenal as fav as my old mate reminded me every year until he died that Ipswich were 9/4 (Arsenal were evens) and the bet he had on us winning, won him enough to pay for a week's holiday in Spain.

According to Bobby Robson in his "Time On The Grass" autobiography we were 5/2 on the morning of the match and he and a lot of players and staff got on that via friends.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024