Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The ongoing battle with C19 07:57 - May 11 with 1569 viewsStokieBlue

Some concerning mutations have been found in the C19 spike proteins which have arisen independently at least twice. This is a concern as the vast majority of vaccines under development are focused on spike protein and if it mutates too much then there is a chance this will affect the vaccines.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/10/scientists-concerned-that-corona

It's an ongoing battle being played out within our bodies.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The ongoing battle with C19 on 08:15 - May 11 with 1186 viewshampstead_blue

Nature has a way of communicating.

Do you think it's had enough of us?

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

The ongoing battle with C19 on 08:20 - May 11 with 1165 viewsStokieBlue

The ongoing battle with C19 on 08:15 - May 11 by hampstead_blue

I think it's a random mutation governed entirely by the laws of nature and not some form of supernatural force than turns out to be beneficial to the virus survival.

It's exact the same process undertaken when humans or any other organism evolved. No need to invoke anything else. Human behaviour in general is a different subject and one worth discussing of course.

SB

The ongoing battle with C19 on 08:55 - May 11 with 1113 viewshampstead_blue

The ongoing battle with C19 on 08:20 - May 11 by StokieBlue

I think it's a random mutation governed entirely by the laws of nature and not some form of supernatural force than turns out to be beneficial to the virus survival.

It's exact the same process undertaken when humans or any other organism evolved. No need to invoke anything else. Human behaviour in general is a different subject and one worth discussing of course.

SB

I know.

It was a point made to potentially think about changing our way of life.
Nature does find a way. We evolved over a very long time but some things like this change rapidly. A proper arms race.

The common cold evolves each year to stay alive. I'm not surprised C-19 has already found a way. My thought was more about being more kind to the planet. I have no belief in supranatural forces save evolution.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:07 - May 11 with 1102 viewssparks

The ongoing battle with C19 on 08:55 - May 11 by hampstead_blue

I know.

It was a point made to potentially think about changing our way of life.
Nature does find a way. We evolved over a very long time but some things like this change rapidly. A proper arms race.

The common cold evolves each year to stay alive. I'm not surprised C-19 has already found a way. My thought was more about being more kind to the planet. I have no belief in supranatural forces save evolution.

You appear to be imbuing nature with some sort of goals or intent.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:10 - May 11 with 1085 viewsGlasgowBlue

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:07 - May 11 by sparks

Which is a ridiculous idea. Everyone knows it’s all down to God.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:11 - May 11 with 1076 viewssparks

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:10 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

Which is a ridiculous idea. Everyone knows it’s all down to God.

Evidence?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:12 - May 11 with 1077 viewsSwansea_Blue

The ongoing battle with C19 on 08:15 - May 11 by hampstead_blue

I certainly have

Crafty little blighter this covd-19. The message from Cuomo about possibly related conditions in children is a bit of a concern considering the general view here is that children are safe. Could be very significant to talks around reopening schools.

The NY Times were running the story over the weekend, but paywall. It's been picked up by the Grauniad now too.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/nyregion/coronavirus-new-york-update.html
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/10/new-york-mystery-coronavirus-ill

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:14 - May 11 with 1063 viewsbluelagos

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:11 - May 11 by sparks

Evidence?

You two are naughty scamps.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:17 - May 11 with 1056 viewsPinewoodblue

Doesn’t every living thing have a shared goal. To reproduce/ replicate.?

Edit added ‘living’ before someone mention inanimate objects.
[Post edited 11 May 2020 9:19]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:21 - May 11 with 1038 viewsGlasgowBlue

Evidence?

The 1966 reality movie directed by John Huston.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:21 - May 11 with 1033 viewssparks

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:17 - May 11 by Pinewoodblue

Doesn’t every living thing have a shared goal. To reproduce/ replicate.?

Edit added ‘living’ before someone mention inanimate objects.
[Post edited 11 May 2020 9:19]

Not a goal as such- that imbues unthinking things with intent.

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:26 - May 11 with 1012 viewsLord_Lucan

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:12 - May 11 by Swansea_Blue

I certainly have

Crafty little blighter this covd-19. The message from Cuomo about possibly related conditions in children is a bit of a concern considering the general view here is that children are safe. Could be very significant to talks around reopening schools.

The NY Times were running the story over the weekend, but paywall. It's been picked up by the Grauniad now too.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/nyregion/coronavirus-new-york-update.html
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/10/new-york-mystery-coronavirus-ill

It certainly is a crafty little blighter. Up till now in can infect me in Wyvales but not B&Q, it can get me in Nandos but not Greggs.

As you say, a crafty one for sure.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:28 - May 11 with 990 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Evidence?

Cheeseus.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:56 - May 11 with 956 viewshampstead_blue

Survival of the fittest.

Evolve or die - or as the French Foreign Legion say....March or Die......kind of focuses your mind.

The ongoing battle with C19 on 12:22 - May 11 with 918 viewsWeWereZombies

The ongoing battle with C19 on 08:20 - May 11 by StokieBlue

SB

It is not really a battle with Covid-19, as sparks has pointed out, the virus is unlikely to be sentient. But as sparks has not pointed out, there is debate among scientists as to whether a virus is even a living thing. To make analogies, such as with water always finding its own level (well, when gravity is involved) or fire being a good servant and a bad master, is not quite accurate if the virus can be defined as a living thing. But there is a challenge , rather than a battle, for human beings, individually and collectively, to adapt to the presence of Covid-19 and to be aware that it is not the only deadly virus likely to become known to us.
[Post edited 11 May 2020 12:44]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The ongoing battle with C19 on 12:24 - May 11 with 912 viewsEwan_Oozami

Live nature does have a goal...gene propagation, that's it...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

The ongoing battle with C19 on 12:36 - May 11 with 901 viewsStokieBlue

The ongoing battle with C19 on 12:22 - May 11 by WeWereZombies

It is not really a battle with Covid-19, as sparks has pointed out, the virus is unlikely to be sentient. But as sparks has not pointed out, there is debate among scientists as to whether a virus is even a living thing. To make analogies, such as with water always finding its own level (well, when gravity is involved) or fire being a good servant and a bad master, is not quite accurate if the virus can be defined as a living thing. But there is a challenge , rather than a battle, for human beings, individually and collectively, to adapt to the presence of Covid-19 and to be aware that it is not the only deadly virus likely to become known to us.
[Post edited 11 May 2020 12:44]

A battle doesn't require sentience. One can have a battle with Japanese knockweed in their garden but it's not sentient. One can also have a battle with a fire to take your example.

My post was to highlight the ever changing aspect of the virus and to highlight how it could affect vaccine development. I even highlighted that was via randomised mutation in a later response.

You are right that humans have to adapt to overcome but the battle metaphor seems sound to me.

SB

The ongoing battle with C19 on 12:43 - May 11 with 882 viewssparks

The ongoing battle with C19 on 12:24 - May 11 by Ewan_Oozami

Live nature does have a goal...gene propagation, that's it...

Not sure its helpful to call it a goal as such- suggests conscious intent.

The ongoing battle with C19 on 12:50 - May 11 with 856 viewsWeWereZombies

The ongoing battle with C19 on 12:36 - May 11 by StokieBlue

A battle doesn't require sentience. One can have a battle with Japanese knockweed in their garden but it's not sentient. One can also have a battle with a fire to take your example.

My post was to highlight the ever changing aspect of the virus and to highlight how it could affect vaccine development. I even highlighted that was via randomised mutation in a later response.

You are right that humans have to adapt to overcome but the battle metaphor seems sound to me.

SB

Sorry but all the dictionary definitions require the protagonists to not only have sentience but organisation as well, and generally to be part of a war. So if you are fighting the Japanese Knotweed the object of your actions does not realise that you are fighting it and, whilst it may react, it does not fight back, it does not target you in the way that you target it. The Knotweed just does what it does. Another analogy to consider is such a situation is King Canute, allegedly, getting his throne transported to the beach and commanding the waves to turn back...

The ongoing battle with C19 on 12:58 - May 11 with 846 viewssparks

The ongoing battle with C19 on 12:50 - May 11 by WeWereZombies

Sorry but all the dictionary definitions require the protagonists to not only have sentience but organisation as well, and generally to be part of a war. So if you are fighting the Japanese Knotweed the object of your actions does not realise that you are fighting it and, whilst it may react, it does not fight back, it does not target you in the way that you target it. The Knotweed just does what it does. Another analogy to consider is such a situation is King Canute, allegedly, getting his throne transported to the beach and commanding the waves to turn back...

This is an entirely semantic argument. Dictionary definitions include colloquial use in situations where you have a battle against a thing that is not sentient.

The ongoing battle with C19 on 13:06 - May 11 with 832 viewsgordon

Reading to the end of this thread, short though it is, was a bit of a battle...
The ongoing battle with C19 on 13:06 - May 11 with 833 viewsWeWereZombies

The ongoing battle with C19 on 12:58 - May 11 by sparks

This is an entirely semantic argument. Dictionary definitions include colloquial use in situations where you have a battle against a thing that is not sentient.

Not an entirely semantic argument as the use of language influences the direction and severity of action, which in turn determines use of resources and success or failure of outcomes. Colloquial usage, such as in slang or legal bickering, is illuminating but has a number of flaws once arguments tighten and can lead to misunderstandings and miscarriages of natural justice. Once correct weightings are given to the words we use in English then a precise and confident route forward is clearer and possible in just about every jurisdiction in this World.

The ongoing battle with C19 on 13:12 - May 11 with 821 viewssparks

The ongoing battle with C19 on 13:06 - May 11 by WeWereZombies

Not an entirely semantic argument as the use of language influences the direction and severity of action, which in turn determines use of resources and success or failure of outcomes. Colloquial usage, such as in slang or legal bickering, is illuminating but has a number of flaws once arguments tighten and can lead to misunderstandings and miscarriages of natural justice. Once correct weightings are given to the words we use in English then a precise and confident route forward is clearer and possible in just about every jurisdiction in this World.

It is entirely semantic- you are arguing about the use and definition of words when both parties to the discussion are quite capable of being clear about whether they include sentience in their comments or not.

There is merit in being aware of the idea that words carry baggage- and if it were the case that using the word battle carried with it an assumption of sentience, that might be relevant. It is so frequently used in non sentient things though, I am struggling to the issue.

They second part of your post verges on being a word salad.
[Post edited 11 May 2020 13:13]

The ongoing battle with C19 on 13:16 - May 11 with 810 viewsWeWereZombies

The ongoing battle with C19 on 13:12 - May 11 by sparks

It is entirely semantic- you are arguing about the use and definition of words when both parties to the discussion are quite capable of being clear about whether they include sentience in their comments or not.

There is merit in being aware of the idea that words carry baggage- and if it were the case that using the word battle carried with it an assumption of sentience, that might be relevant. It is so frequently used in non sentient things though, I am struggling to the issue.

They second part of your post verges on being a word salad.
[Post edited 11 May 2020 13:13]

I always know that I have proven my point when you resort to calling things a word salad. Thanks...

The ongoing battle with C19 on 13:18 - May 11 with 800 viewsSwansea_Blue

The ongoing battle with C19 on 09:26 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

It certainly is a crafty little blighter. Up till now in can infect me in Wyvales but not B&Q, it can get me in Nandos but not Greggs.

As you say, a crafty one for sure.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024